HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blue Jackets Next Captain?

Old
08-07-2012, 10:34 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman82 View Post
Infamous? I don't want players who enjoy losing.
It wasn't the quote itself that was infamous so much as the OMG ONOES DOOM reaction to it, which resulted in lots of angst and hand-wringing on these boards... and in blog posts and "articles" like the one being discussed.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 10:05 AM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

RJ is among my least favorite players, but it has nothing to do with the things claimed in gocbj's post. Umberger has established a home in Delaware County, and is committed to this team and this town.

That post was rediculous.

(but I don't want him captain, either. Just think the post was insane...)

Derby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 11:13 AM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
It wasn't the quote itself that was infamous so much as the OMG ONOES DOOM reaction to it, which resulted in lots of angst and hand-wringing on these boards... and in blog posts and "articles" like the one being discussed.
Okay that makes more sense

candyman82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 08:12 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Here's a link to a discussion of possible candidates for the captaincy from the Fire That Cannon blog:

http://firethatcannon.com/2012/08/24...ts-the-c-next/

I think there are several other possibilities (Dorsett? Wiz?) with equal credibility and perhaps the inclusion of Boll is a bit silly, but otherwise it seems to be a pretty fair breakdown.

Best line:

"When Johnson arrived in Columbus, the whole locker room—and let’s face it, half the fan base—was one Depeche Mode song away from wearing eye liner and cutting themselves."

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2012, 10:28 AM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Here's a link to a discussion of possible candidates for the captaincy from the Fire That Cannon blog:

http://firethatcannon.com/2012/08/24...ts-the-c-next/

I think there are several other possibilities (Dorsett? Wiz?) with equal credibility and perhaps the inclusion of Boll is a bit silly, but otherwise it seems to be a pretty fair breakdown.

Best line:

"When Johnson arrived in Columbus, the whole locker room—and let’s face it, half the fan base—was one Depeche Mode song away from wearing eye liner and cutting themselves."
A very entertaining, well-written article. I really enjoyed that, thanks for sharing, Pete!

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2012, 04:09 PM
FlaggerX

This is a good article. My vote is Vinny for next year, with JJ, Dorse and either RJ or the Wiz as the third C. Maybe one of the new guys, but I haven't seen them around town enough yet to have an opinion. Vinny's been around and can lead, and when he steps aside it will be a natural promotion. No egos bruised.

Consider JJ a 'captain in training'. And maybe others will show up next year with more attitude in the lineup.

FlaggerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2012, 11:24 PM
Cblake34

Its going to be Jack. Im just waiting for the official announcement so i can get my jersey customized.

Cblake34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 10:45 AM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cblake34 View Post
Its going to be Jack. Im just waiting for the official announcement so i can get my jersey customized.
I agree, though I'm not going to be upset if its RJ or Prospal either.

Johnson represents the reinvigoration and new composition of the team. He just captained team USA, arguably the most formal leadership qualification on the team.

He came to us in a deal for Carter, the guy that represented the worst of the old culture...a high payed, semi motivated, cry baby, that didn't want to play for a struggling team in the midwest.

Contrast that with Johnson, a guy happy to be back in the midwest, excited about the potential leadership oppurtunities, and the prospect of lifting a team up.

Lastly consider his 20 game stats after the trade...the kind of stats that get you nominated for the Norris if you can carry them for 80 games.

I'll be happy with any of the 3 mentioned, but my gut says its JJ's "C" to wear.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 10:59 AM
smitty10

I'm not a BJ's fan, but I have a feeling that the captain will be Jack Johnson. With him coming into a situation with young players and himself being a young leader, he's definitely got to be the front runner. This situation reminds me so much of when Phaneuf was brought into Toronto. A good, young defenseman who understands the opportunity at hand and embraces it to it's fullest. He's a proven leader, taking the reigns as captain for the USA at the last WC's and is young enough that he can relate to the young players on Columbus.

I'm willing to bet a lot of money that he will be announced as captain of Columbus before the season starts.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 11:02 AM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Thinking about it more, I'd like to see Vinny have the C until he retires, then hand it over to JMFJ.

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 11:07 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
Thinking about it more, I'd like to see Vinny have the C until he retires, then hand it over to JMFJ.
Do you think that will actually happen, though?

Having a young captain seems to be the trend with rebuilding/retooling teams and JJ really fits the bill. I know I just used this as a comparison, but this situation reminds me completely of when Dion Phaneuf arrived in Toronto. He immediately took a leadership role in the dressing room and on the ice and was named captain before the next season starts. There were some Leafs fans who thought that it should be Kaberle as he was a veteran, but management went with Phaneuf instead.

I really think it will be Jack Johnson. He's taken a leadership role with the national team and with what he's been saying and how he played in Columbus he seems ready to embrace the role.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 11:07 AM
BlueJacket2

My vote is Prospal until he retires then JMFJ.

BlueJacket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 11:09 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Old
08-28-2012, 12:31 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
I considered posting that at one point, but decided I wanted to avoid the Unfortunate Implications.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 01:22 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I considered posting that at one point, but decided I wanted to avoid the Unfortunate Implications.
That is not the name of Billy Joel's backing band.

Double-Shift Lassé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 12:37 AM
Cblake34

I truly dont understand why everyone thinks itll be Prospal. You have a guy that came in off a trade and turned the whole vibe of the locker room around. If we want a leader, you need to give the C to one, and that is Jack.

Cblake34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 08:47 AM
candyman82

Quote:
I truly dont understand why everyone thinks itll be Prospal. You have a guy that came in off a trade and turned the whole vibe of the locker room around. If we want a leader, you need to give the C to one, and that is Jack.
However, he has only played 20 or so games for the team. Vinny was the vet who came in last year and really began calling out the practice ethic of parts of the team. If the culture here actually changes, we have Vaclav Prospal to thank.

candyman82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 08:13 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

“@Aportzline: Dispatch: No captain, my captain: #CBJ won't immediately replace departed Rick Nash as captain http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/...w-captain.html

01-09-2013, 08:45 AM
blahblah

Quote:
As was indicated it we probably won't have a new C this season. At least until much later into the season. Frankly, I've always thought the C is important but highly overblown by fans. Much like "OMFG, why are we playing THESE lines?!". As if we, as fans, really know what the lines should be or who the captain should be.

Sure we can analyze it and maybe throw opinions around, but to me this is about the least important topic going into the next two seasons. The team will iron it out and we have very strong choices beyond ever just these two.

Having said that, JMFJ came in and provided leadership and seemed to have a positive moral boost. He doesn't need to be a Captain to do that. By all accounts, Prospal was a positive influence on the team. He's been around a long, long, time and seen pretty much everything. He knows how to win and he knows how to communicate to players - both young and old.

What I am trying to say, you probably can't go wrong with either choice. If we lose it's probably not going to be because of the leadership group. It will probably be tracked back our goal tending, sloppy defensive zone play, and the inability to outwork their goal tending in close games against the better teams in the league.

I think we are gifted with a pretty good selection of players for the leadership group.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 09:50 AM
Kev22

Shouldn't they pick their captain based on who's most likely to be traded?

Kev22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 10:50 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
As was indicated it we probably won't have a new C this season. At least until much later into the season. Frankly, I've always thought the C is important but highly overblown by fans. Much like "OMFG, why are we playing THESE lines?!". As if we, as fans, really know what the lines should be or who the captain should be.

Sure we can analyze it and maybe throw opinions around, but to me this is about the least important topic going into the next two seasons. The team will iron it out and we have very strong choices beyond ever just these two.

Having said that, JMFJ came in and provided leadership and seemed to have a positive moral boost. He doesn't need to be a Captain to do that. By all accounts, Prospal was a positive influence on the team. He's been around a long, long, time and seen pretty much everything. He knows how to win and he knows how to communicate to players - both young and old.

What I am trying to say, you probably can't go wrong with either choice. If we lose it's probably not going to be because of the leadership group. It will probably be tracked back our goal tending, sloppy defensive zone play, and the inability to outwork their goal tending in close games against the better teams in the league.

I think we are gifted with a pretty good selection of players for the leadership group.
Well said, I agree on all accounts.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:27 AM
Kev22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
"Captain Jack will score some points tonight..."

Kev22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:29 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:

Heaven forbid we let the players sort out organically who is best suited to serve as captain.

Double-Shift Lassé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:18 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:

I think it was Jim Bouton who said something like, "When picking leaders, players gravitate toward batting averages over GPA." And if he didn't say it, it was Mike Marshall. In any case, it was definitely in Ball Four.

Anyway, you're right. We don't know what the locker room is like anywhere in the league. It's all well and good to say that Player X should be captain because he "exudes leadership", but it's possible that the rest of the locker room thinks he's a blowhard. It's possible that he never talks to the media, but that the rest of the locker room thinks that he's the ultimate leader. Hell, look at the deification of Mark Messier, but ask anyone who was around Vancouver in the late-1990s what they think of him (namely dividing a locker room, driving Trevor Linden out of town, and playing like crap on the ice as well).

It is funny, though, to see talking about the amount of leadership in the room without it being painted as a negative (as has been the case in years past).

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 03:57 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
It is funny, though, to see talking about the amount of leadership in the room without it being painted as a negative (as has been the case in years past).
Its been a long road, but some people might be starting to learn some lessons from the past. Or they are just getting lucky and falling into the deals. I would prefer the former, but I'll take the later.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote