HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Visnovsky trying to void trade to Isles - UPDATE: More Drama (post #510)

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2013, 07:26 AM
Dan-o16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger34 View Post
Best post I've read in a while, we should all be so lucky to be subjected to slavery that requires us to voluntarily enter into an agreement to make millions upon millions of dollars to play a sport for a set period of time - but may be required to relocate periodically somewhere within the US and Canada.

Horror! Horror!

You forgot - upon being ordered to relocate, we could voluntarily retire and do anything else other than playing hockey for a living!

Oh how the chains of bondage chafe! (or is that a sweaty jock?)

Cheers,

Dan-o

Old
01-09-2013, 07:34 AM
Indian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
This whole notion of the NHL "poaching" players is absurd, these players are just that, they are players of a sport, the best players of that sport, and as the best they have the right to join ANY professional league they want. The NHL is not holding a gun to their head forcing these players to sign this very expensive contracts. These players hold luxury professions, they are the 1%.

The NHL did not "poach" Malkin, he was drafted. Let me explain how the draft works, just because a player is drafted by an organization does not mean he is forced to sign a deal with that drafted team or even join the NHL, this stands for players in North America as well. The entry draft gives that single NHL team 'rights' to sign a player so no other NHL team can. It's the same in the KHL, they draft NHL and CHL players every year, it just gives that particular KHL 'rights' to sign that player if that player CHOOSES to play in the KHL.

Malkin was not abducted and brought overseas to America against his will. During the draft process he was interviewed, probably by all 30 NHL clubs to gauge his interest in playing for an NHL club if drafted, the Penguins knew he had a KHL deal, they did not buy him out of that contract. Malkin defected Russia to come play for the NHL and sign a deal here, he did not HAVE to do that.
It's not absurd and call it what you will. If a player has a valid contract in europe and NHL drafts him, offers him a new contract knowing he still has a valid one in another league, how can you justify that and don't see the irony in bashing on Visnovsky now.

And again I'm not here to defend what he is doing, I consider it wrong. I think he should pack his bags and go play oversees.

Old
01-09-2013, 07:51 AM
xECK29x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian View Post
It's not absurd and call it what you will. If a player has a valid contract in europe and NHL drafts him, offers him a new contract knowing he still has a valid one in another league, how can you justify that and don't see the irony in bashing on Visnovsky now.

And again I'm not here to defend what he is doing, I consider it wrong. I think he should pack his bags and go play oversees.
I have never seen an NHL club offer a contract to a Euro player under contract without understanding from the player and agent. Also the situations are different, Vishnovsky approached Garth Snow about playing in the KHL during the lockout once the lockout has ended he is to report back to the Islanders as contractually obligated. There was no timetable on the lockout, it's not the NHL's fault it ended at the end of the KHL season right before the playoffs, Vishnovsky and his agent both understood this risk when signing the KHL deal.

Again, Vishnovsky has an out, he can simply retire from the NHL, it's best for both sides for him to just does that at this point.

Last edited by xECK29x: 01-09-2013 at 07:56 AM.
Old
01-09-2013, 08:02 AM
koyo

Quote:
I have never seen an NHL club offer a contract to a Euro player under contract without understanding from the player and agent. Also the situations are different, Vishnovsky approached Garth Snow about playing in the KHL during the lockout once the lockout has ended he is to report back to the Islanders as contractually obligated. There was no timetable on the lockout, it's not the NHL's fault it ended at the end of the KHL season right before the playoffs, Vishnovsky and his agent both understood this risk when signing the KHL deal.

Again, Vishnovsky has an out, he can simply retire from the NHL, it's best for both sides for him to just does that at this point.
What do you really mean by this? KHL just did the very same thing. It did not offer a contract to a NHL player with a contract WITHOUT understanding from the player and agent!

Old
01-09-2013, 08:06 AM
Indian

Quote:
I have never seen an NHL club offer a contract to a Euro player under contract without understanding from the player and agent.
I'm not sure what you meant by this. So if they have an "understanding" that makes it right to offer a new contract and don't respect the old one?

Old
01-09-2013, 08:07 AM
xECK29x

Quote:
Originally Posted by koyo View Post
What do you really mean by this? KHL just did the very same thing. It did not offer a contract to a NHL player with a contract WITHOUT understanding from the player and agent!
Right and that contact states this is valid during the NHL lockout period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian View Post
I'm not sure what you meant by this. So if they have an "understanding" that makes it right to offer a new contract and don't respect the old one?
I'm not sure what you mean and what the context is to your question? The NHL did not put an offer on the table for Malkin until after he left Russia and took that risk to invalidate that contact if that's the example you are referencing.

Edit: I'm not saying Vishnovsky's lockout contact is invalid or is overwritten, it is being executed exactly AS IT WAS written. The lockout ends on Saturday when the new CBA is ratified, if he wants to play in the KHL he has to end his NHL contract first.

Last edited by xECK29x: 01-09-2013 at 08:13 AM.
Old
01-09-2013, 08:12 AM
koyo

And so? Was Malkin under contract or was he not? Visnovsky also left NA before he was offered the KHL contract.

Quote:
Right and that contact states this is valid during the NHL lockout period.

I'm not sure what you mean and what the context is to your question? The NHL did not put an offer on the table for Malkin until after he left Russia and took that risk to invalidate that contact if that's the example you are referencing.

Old
01-09-2013, 08:17 AM
xECK29x

Quote:
Originally Posted by koyo View Post
And so? Was Malkin under contract or was he not? Visnovsky also left NA before he was offered the KHL contract.
He was and it was voided when he left, it was a big political issue at the time and still is, this goes deeper then hockey.

Old
01-09-2013, 08:21 AM
Indian

Quote:
What I mean is for you and others to realize that NHL was offering contracts to players even though they were under contract in another league at that time.

Old
01-09-2013, 08:21 AM
ebis

Quote:

Edit: I'm not saying Vishnovsky's lockout contact is invalid or is overwritten, it is being executed exactly AS IT WAS written. The lockout ends on Saturday when the new CBA is ratified, if he wants to play in the KHL he has to end his NHL contract first.
How is the Malkin case different? NHL signed a player that had a valid contract elsewhere and NHL has been doing it for years (or decades, really, ever since Euros started pouring into NHL).

Also, Visnovsky got a new contract offer from Slovan. If he stays, it will be under a new contract, not the one signed for the duration of the lockout.

Old
01-09-2013, 08:56 AM
Isles Junkie

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1319191

Thread is almost at it's limit. click link for part 2

Closed Thread