HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sabres Defense

Old
01-08-2013, 07:35 PM
Jame
Dream '16

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Jame
Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
Let's look at these 10.

Myers and Ehrhoff aren't going anywhere. Both are locked up for a while, both are building blocks of the team.

Weber, Pardy, Sulzer and Brennan won't be going anywhere either. Weber because he's young, physical and signed to a decent contract and the Sabres are trying to become more difficult to play against. Pardy because he's overpaid for what he is a physical #6-8 defenceman. Sulzer because if other teams were really interested, they could have had him earlier and he impressed Buffalo enough last year to get a 1-way deal but probably no other team enough to justify acquiring him. And Brennan because he's a solid prospect who might be ready, but every team in the league has their own version of that.

So that leaves us with just 4
-McNabb: I'd be shocked if he's moved. He's big, physical, young and played extremely well last year for the Sabres. Plus, he's not waiver eligible IIRC, so I don't see the incentive to moving him. If there's no room for him, let him play one more year of AHL hockey.
-Sekera: Signed to a reasonable contract, can move up or down the lineup depending on injuries and depth. Solid defensively, I think he stays put.
-Leopold: Definite candidate to be moved. He's a solid offensive defenceman. But, realistically, Myers and Ehrhoff are both better on the power-play. He's good in his own end, but Sekera is better and cheaper. I wouldn't anticipate much coming back in return, probably a pick or prospect.
-Regehr:I think he's the other possibility. Calgary fans warned when he was moved that he wasn't the same player he once was, and he isn't. He's still physical, but he's slow and can lose coverage to quick players, and with a $4+ million cap hit, he's not cheap, either. But, he still has a good reputation around the league as a tough shutdown defenceman and a playoff team with injuries to the blueline, a team looking to add a physical element, or a confident coach who thinks he can use him/turn around his play could/would all be interested

So, the most likely candidate to move is Leopold, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was Regehr either. His grit and leadership could help a team that's lost some (For instance, to Dallas to replace Souray and Pardy).
points of disagreement :
1. The new CBA allows retaining 50% salary/cap. I think this would make Pardy attractive at 1 mil cap/salary.
2. Sekera is not available at all
3. I think McNabb is available in a "big deal" scenario only. He's available only as one of the centerpieces to a deal for someone like Bobby Ryan

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:36 PM
rockinghockey

EDM could use another dman, what would you want off EDM for one of your dmen.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:37 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
EDM could use another dman, what would you want off EDM for one of your dmen.
Belanger for Pardy

Old
01-08-2013, 07:47 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
Let's look at these 10.

Myers and Ehrhoff aren't going anywhere. Both are locked up for a while, both are building blocks of the team.

Weber, Pardy, Sulzer and Brennan won't be going anywhere either. Weber because he's young, physical and signed to a decent contract and the Sabres are trying to become more difficult to play against. Pardy because he's overpaid for what he is a physical #6-8 defenceman. Sulzer because if other teams were really interested, they could have had him earlier and he impressed Buffalo enough last year to get a 1-way deal but probably no other team enough to justify acquiring him. And Brennan because he's a solid prospect who might be ready, but every team in the league has their own version of that.

So that leaves us with just 4
-McNabb: I'd be shocked if he's moved. He's big, physical, young and played extremely well last year for the Sabres. Plus, he's not waiver eligible IIRC, so I don't see the incentive to moving him. If there's no room for him, let him play one more year of AHL hockey.
-Sekera: Signed to a reasonable contract, can move up or down the lineup depending on injuries and depth. Solid defensively, I think he stays put.
-Leopold: Definite candidate to be moved. He's a solid offensive defenceman. But, realistically, Myers and Ehrhoff are both better on the power-play. He's good in his own end, but Sekera is better and cheaper. I wouldn't anticipate much coming back in return, probably a pick or prospect.
-Regehr:I think he's the other possibility. Calgary fans warned when he was moved that he wasn't the same player he once was, and he isn't. He's still physical, but he's slow and can lose coverage to quick players, and with a $4+ million cap hit, he's not cheap, either. But, he still has a good reputation around the league as a tough shutdown defenceman and a playoff team with injuries to the blueline, a team looking to add a physical element, or a confident coach who thinks he can use him/turn around his play could/would all be interested

So, the most likely candidate to move is Leopold, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was Regehr either. His grit and leadership could help a team that's lost some (For instance, to Dallas to replace Souray and Pardy).
Pretty accurate for the most part. If Buffalo moves Regehr, I think they'd do it at the deadline when players of his style--gritty, physical, shot-blocking defenseman--are most in demand. If the club makes a preseason deal, it's probably Leo, who's a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none type.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 06:06 AM
HiddenInLight

I think the most likely to be moved are:

Leopold - For reasons already stated
Brennan - We already have plenty of PMD, and he has some upside left giving him a decent value. He's also the odd man out in all of this
Pardy - Because why not?

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 06:15 AM
Jax Teller

Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
I don't know if that's a good deal for us, I'd rather target Biggs. I'd like to hang on to Sekera and either deal Leo or Regehr.
What would you need added on to Biggs for Sekera?

What's Regehr's value these days?

Jax Teller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 08:27 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnybaby View Post
What would you need added on to Biggs for Sekera?

What's Regehr's value these days?
JVR and Kadri

You have to understand these aren't baseball cards. Sekera is our shutdown defender... and he's really good.... and he's on a ridiculously cheap contract for 3 more years. He's either going to be playing with Regehr again, as our shutdown d-zone pair (where he excelled last year), or he's going to be paired with Myers on our all situations/minute eating top pairing.

Throwing nice prospects at us, doesn't even get you close...

to get Sekera, it would not be "fair value"... you'd have to make an offer so over the top, that it would be impossible to turn down

Old
01-09-2013, 08:28 AM
capitalsrock

Sekera for Setoguchi?

capitalsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 08:30 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalsrock View Post
Sekera for Setoguchi?
try Granlund+

Make a "blow them away" offer... or don't bother with trying to move your secondary pieces for our shut down defensemen entering his prime

Old
01-09-2013, 08:49 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
try Granlund+

Make a "blow them away" offer... or don't bother with trying to move your secondary pieces for our shut down defensemen entering his prime
You mean "Granlund for Sekera+", right?

We're talking about the "good" Granlund, here. The ridiculously skilled one. Let me put it to you like this: Asking for "Granlund+" in 2013 is like asking Buffalo for "Myers+" back in 2009. Would you give up "Myers+"-type value for Sekera?

I like Sekera and everything, he's a fine player, but Granlund has more value going forwards, and IMO it's not all that close.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 08:53 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
You mean "Granlind for Sekera+", right?

We're talking about the "good" Granlund, here. The ridiculously skilled one. Let me put it to you like this: Asking for "Granlund+" in 2013 is like asking Buffalo for "Myers+" back in 2009. Would you give up "Myers+"-type value for Sekera?

I like Sekera and everything, he's a fine player, but Granlund has more value going forwards, and IMO it's not all that close.
Of course not... just like I don't expect any Wild fan on earth to want to part with Granlund. It's meant to be "not all that close". It would have to be so far from close for Buffalo to consider it.

I'm not "asking" for Granlund in some type of "fair value" offer. I'm saying, unless you blow me away with an offer that is TOO GOOD to say no to... then Sekera is not available at all.

Old
01-09-2013, 09:00 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Of course not... just like I don't expect any Wild fan on earth to want to part with Granlund. It's meant to be "not all that close". It would have to be so far from close for Buffalo to consider it.

I'm not "asking" for Granlund in some type of "fair value" offer. I'm saying, unless you blow me away with an offer that is TOO GOOD to say no to... then Sekera is not available at all.
Ah, understood.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 09:03 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I'd be interested in Brennan...

For the Dogs.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 09:41 AM
Blitz
With the #2 pick...

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalsrock View Post
Sekera for Setoguchi?
Quote:
try Granlund+

I'd give it some serious thought to sending Sekera to Minnesota if Brodziak is coming back to Buffalo. Not sure if the Wild feel Coyle or Philips are ready to play in the NHL, or whether Cullen could move back to #3C for Minny, but the Cap hits are a wash, and they have the same years of team control.

Vanek-Hodgson-Pominville
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Leino-Brodziak-Ott
Gerbe-McCormick-Kaleta
X. Grigs???, Adam, Ellis

Myers-McNabb
Ehrhoff-Sulzer
Regehr-Leopold
X. Brennan, Weber, Pardy

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 10:31 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
You mean "Granlund for Sekera+", right?

Of course the Sabres would have to add in this equation, and if it were available, they would be crazy not to. Of course, it isn't available, so it's a pointless conversation.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 10:35 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
I'd give it some serious thought to sending Sekera to Minnesota if Brodziak is coming back to Buffalo. Not sure if the Wild feel Coyle or Philips are ready to play in the NHL, or whether Cullen could move back to #3C for Minny, but the Cap hits are a wash, and they have the same years of team control.

Vanek-Hodgson-Pominville
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Leino-Brodziak-Ott
Gerbe-McCormick-Kaleta
X. Grigs???, Adam, Ellis

Myers-McNabb
Ehrhoff-Sulzer
Regehr-Leopold
X. Brennan, Weber, Pardy
I think Brodziak would be a great addition... but not at the cost of a top 3 defensemen. A defensemen who can eat minutes on a top pairing with Myers, or play a shutdown role with Regehr. That versatility along with the contract value/length, is not something you trade for a 3rd line center.

McNabb has not been all that good this year in Roch, penciling him into the top pair is crazy.

Plus, trading Sekera will leave the Sabres with TWO experienced NHLer's on the blueline next season (Myers, Ehrhoff)

Old
01-09-2013, 12:22 PM
Blitz
With the #2 pick...

Quote:
I think Brodziak would be a great addition... but not at the cost of a top 3 defensemen. A defensemen who can eat minutes on a top pairing with Myers, or play a shutdown role with Regehr. That versatility along with the contract value/length, is not something you trade for a 3rd line center.

McNabb has not been all that good this year in Roch, penciling him into the top pair is crazy.

Plus, trading Sekera will leave the Sabres with TWO experienced NHLer's on the blueline next season (Myers, Ehrhoff)
Sorry, I didn't mean straight-up, it would definately have to be part of a package both ways likely. I just meant Brodz would fit our needs without adding cap or term.

McNabb w/ Myers was just a spitball idea - I was far more focused on the front end than the back.

If we were to ship out Sekera though, trading some wing/young D depth for a guy like Hjalmarsson, or even Tallinder to play with Myers would likely be neccassary.

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 02:43 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post

Vanek-Hodgson-Pominville
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Leino-Brodziak-Ott
Gerbe-McCormick-Kaleta
X. Grigs???, Adam, Ellis

Myers-McNabb
Ehrhoff-Sulzer
Regehr-Leopold
X. Brennan, Weber, Pardy
Doesn't even belong in the NHL right now, let alone on the top pairing.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 03:31 PM
VegasSabreFan

I think most people are misunderstanding the Sabres problem here. Because we can't send Brennan back to Rochester we either trade him or trade someone from the top 6 to make a spot for him. McNabb won't be moved because he's starting the year in Rochester anyway, moving him doesn't solve the problem.

as I stated in another thread, Sekera isn't getting traded because the only other 2 DMEN we have with NHL experience signed beyond this year are Myers and Ehrhoff. With the lowered salary cap after this season it would eat up too much cap space having to fill at least 2 spots with experienced UFA dmen. A team would have to drastically overpay to get Sekera.

Weber isn't going anywhere because of his relationship with Ott, and he perfectly fits into our lineup as a 6th or 7th D who is going to be willing to sign a similar deal next season to stay at home and play with his best friend Ott.

Myers and Ehrhoff are off limits. Regehr has a NTC and won't be moved after all the effort we made to get him to waive it and come here last year. Sulzer we just resigned and you don't trade players you just signed.

The only real options to move are Pardy, Leopold and Brennan, and since Pardy has very little value it's basically Leopold or Brennan.

VegasSabreFan is offline   Reply With Quote