HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Other Chicago Sports/General Sports Thread - Cubs Sign Jackson, Villanueva

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2013, 09:19 AM
committedindian86
Flip The Switch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
You know why I hate Notre Dame? They get the attention of a title contender every single year and they've been crap on a stick for most of my life. Finally they actually made it and they **** the bed. They just don't play anywhere near the quality of opponents the real contenders do. And then all the whining I had to hear from the thousands of ND fans around me every day about how Alabama didn't deserve to be in the game because of the loss to A & M, how it was a joke they were in the game and it was just bias.

Saturday
08/31/13 Virginia Tech Hokies
Georgia Dome, Atlanta, GA TBA ---
Saturday
09/07/13 --- Open Date --- ---
Saturday
09/14/13 at Texas A&M Aggies
Kyle Field, College Station, TX TBA Buy
Tickets
Saturday
09/21/13 Colorado State Rams
Bryant-Denny Stadium, Tuscaloosa, AL TBA ---

Saturday
09/28/13 Ole Miss Rebels
Bryant-Denny Stadium, Tuscaloosa, AL TBA Buy
Tickets
Saturday
10/05/13 Georgia State Panthers

Saturday
10/12/13 at Kentucky Wildcats
Commonwealth Stadium, Lexington, KY TBA Buy
Tickets

Saturday
10/19/13 Arkansas Razorbacks
Tickets
Saturday
10/26/13 Tennessee Volunteers
Tickets
Saturday
11/02/13 --- Open Date --- ---
Saturday
11/09/13 LSU Tigers
Tickets
Saturday
11/16/13 at Mississippi State Bulldogs
Davis Wade Stadium, Starkville, MS TBA Buy
Tickets
Saturday
11/23/13 Chattanooga Mocs

Saturday
11/30/13 at Auburn Tigers
Jordan-Hare Stadium, Auburn, AL TBA Buy
Tickets
Saturday
12/07/13 SEC Championship Game

The ND schedule looks like a high school schedule compared to the above.
Yes Colorado State, Georgia State, Kentucky, and Chattanooga are all quality opponents...

Notre Dame schedules tougher schedules than anyone else in the Midwest. Yes, the SEC is BY FAR the best conference. If you run the table on a 7th ranked SOS you make the Championship game period. Notre Dame finally deserved the right to compete for a Ship and yes they crapped the bed but you have to be the delusional one to think that a 12-0 run through on their schedule didn't outshine Oregon and Kansas States schedules at 11-1.

I'm not trying to change your mind on hating ND but the haters this season have no leg to stand on. Notre Dame earned their spot in the Title Game.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:24 AM
Illinihockey

Cubs in on Cuban SS Aledmis Diaz

Source: Cubs one of several teams interested in Cuban defector/SS Aledmis Diaz. Turns 23 Tuesday, exempting him from signing $$$ limits.

By John Arguello, Monday at 4:22 pm

I got an email from a source a few hours ago on this. Of course, I was too busy trying to sleep off the flu and I missed it. I come to and find that it's already hit Twitter. Thanks flu!

Diaz is the better of the two newest Cubs free agents (the other is OF Dariel Alvarez). Despite just turning 23, Diaz is considered the more advanced as well. I originally wrote about the two prospects back in November.

At the time, I wrote this,

Diaz is considered the better prospect of the two but won't turn 23 until January 8th. Several teams have reported interest already but he will wait until his birthday so that he too, will not be bound by the CBA.

Diaz is a 6'1", 185 lbs. SS defected during a tournament in the Netherlands last summer. He hits with some power and the ability to hit for average. He hit .315 with a .404 OBP and 12 HRs in his last season for Villa Clara. He is considered a good fielder with an above average arm. He's an average runner.

So why pursue yet another SS when the Cubs already have Starlin Castro at the MLB level, top prospect Javier Baez, and BA #10 prospect Arismendy Alcantara?

Why not?

Shortstop is a premium position and among the most difficult to fill in baseball. The Cubs are still all about accumulating talent, especially when that talent is young and doesn't cost them anything except money. I don't think anybody is going to criticize the Cubs for having too many shortstops.

Diaz could be another asset for the Cubs in their organization, or perhaps even help fill the void at 3B if the Cubs think he's ready now. He does have some pop and some good on-base skills so there's a chance he could have enough bat there. His defense and arm certainly seem to be plenty for the position. The same source told me that there is some talk that a position change may be ahead for Diaz.

He's not the high ceiling prospect that Jorge Soler is, but he's more advanced and nearly MLB ready. With the Cubs establishing a stronger and stronger presence in Cuba, you have to think that if they like what they see, the Cubs should be among the favorites to sign Diaz.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:26 AM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
Shortstops have a ton of value and are easy to move positionally because they're the most versatile athletes.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:26 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
There are more than enough easy games on the Bama schedule. SEC is so top heavy, IMO. Let's not pretend a Tennessee or Kentucky would come up to the Big Ten and dominate or something. Hell, even Mississippi St. lost to Northwestern.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:27 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by committedindian86 View Post
Yes Colorado State, Georgia State, Kentucky, and Chattanooga are all quality opponents...

Notre Dame schedules tougher schedules than anyone else in the Midwest. Yes, the SEC is BY FAR the best conference. If you run the table on a 7th ranked SOS you make the Championship game period. Notre Dame finally deserved the right to compete for a Ship and yes they crapped the bed but you have to be the delusional one to think that a 12-0 run through on their schedule didn't outshine Oregon and Kansas States schedules at 11-1.

I'm not trying to change your mind on hating ND but the haters this season have no leg to stand on. Notre Dame earned their spot in the Title Game.
They earned the shot to play in the game but they were a sitting duck. It just really irked me that the Notre Dame fans I interacted with felt that Alabama didn't deserve to be in the game. Well, maybe they were just scared. If it's the team I love, I want them to play the best out there.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:28 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
Shortstops have a ton of value and are easy to move positionally because they're the most versatile athletes.
Not really. Other than moving to 2nd, you usually don't want to sacrifice the power you lose with your typical SS at say 1st or 3rd where you typically expect more power.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:32 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Not really. Other than moving to 2nd, you usually don't want to sacrifice the power you lose with your typical SS at say 1st or 3rd where you typically expect more power.
3rd basemen don't hit like they used to. Only 7 guys had over a .800 OPS last season. There were 2 SS's and 3 2b's that did that.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:37 AM
committedindian86
Flip The Switch

Quote:
They earned the shot to play in the game but they were a sitting duck. It just really irked me that the Notre Dame fans I interacted with felt that Alabama didn't deserve to be in the game. Well, maybe they were just scared. If it's the team I love, I want them to play the best out there.
I haven't talked to one ND fan that felt that the defending National Champions after winning the SEC didn't deserve to be in the title game. That would irk me too if I heard someone say something that stupid.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:53 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
3rd basemen don't hit like they used to. Only 7 guys had over a .800 OPS last season. There were 2 SS's and 3 2b's that did that.
1 odd year doesn't change the general expectations of the position.

Still, that's more 3Bs that did it than the other 2 combined.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:02 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
1 odd year doesn't change the general expectations of the position.

Still, that's more 3Bs that did it than the other 2 combined.
Last year it was 4 at SS and 7 at 3B. I think in the post steroids era, you are going to see a lot less slugging 3rd basemen.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:45 AM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
2nd, 3rd, and CF are common places to move SSes. With exceptional guys like Gary Sheffield moving to the corner OF.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:16 AM
Illinihockey

http://www.bleachernation.com/2013/0...-are-involved/

Old
01-08-2013, 11:20 AM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Well that's interesting. Porcello has some good potential still.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:29 AM
coldsteelonice84

Yeah, Porcello would be a good addition. It also makes sense that Soriano could go to Baltimore with us paying most of his salary and they might be interested in Marmol too. Another guy that could be included is Travis Wood.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:36 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Yeah, Porcello would be a good addition. It also makes sense that Soriano could go to Baltimore with us paying most of his salary and they might be interested in Marmol too. Another guy that could be included is Travis Wood.
It also allows you to trade Garza for Olt since Texas has no room for him.

Porcello
Shark
Jackson
Villanueva/Baker/Feldman
Wood

Old
01-08-2013, 11:38 AM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Porcello has #1 stuff, but he sure as hell is not a #1 yet. Even in our developing rotation.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:43 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Porcello has #1 stuff, but he sure as hell is not a #1 yet. Even in our developing rotation.
2 things. #1, order of rotation doesn't matter next year as the Cubs aren't trying to win anything. #2, Porcello had a .389 xfip and a .391 fip last year in the AL. Garza was at .359 and .417. So if Garza is your #1, I don't think its crazy to think Porcello could be instead. I actually think Samardzjia might be the opening day starter next year if Garza is gone.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:43 AM
coldsteelonice84

Yeah, getting Porcello still wouldn't change the need to draft a pitcher 1st. We need as much top end talent as we can get. I'd like to see something like this in a couple years:

Manaea/Appel/Stanek
Shark
Porcello
Jackson
Baker
6th Villanueva

Old
01-08-2013, 11:53 AM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
2 things. #1, order of rotation doesn't matter next year as the Cubs aren't trying to win anything. #2, Porcello had a .389 xfip and a .391 fip last year in the AL. Garza was at .359 and .417. So if Garza is your #1, I don't think its crazy to think Porcello could be instead. I actually think Samardzjia might be the opening day starter next year if Garza is gone.
We don't really have a #1. I'm just saying that, like coldsteel said, we still need one. It kind of shows how we need that impact talent.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:53 AM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Yeah, getting Porcello still wouldn't change the need to draft a pitcher 1st. We need as much top end talent as we can get. I'd like to see something like this in a couple years:

Manaea/Appel/Stanek
Shark
Porcello
Jackson
Baker
6th Villanueva

Indiana State better not break him.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:56 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:

Indiana State better not break him.
Yeah, a lefty that can bring it like that is pretty rare, especially with how well he pitched to such great hitters. Still, as has been said, the season coming up is going to be the final evidence that decides who gets picked where. Luckily for us, Houston may go cheap at No. 1 which would give us our choice.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:10 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Yeah, a lefty that can bring it like that is pretty rare, especially with how well he pitched to such great hitters. Still, as has been said, the season coming up is going to be the final evidence that decides who gets picked where. Luckily for us, Houston may go cheap at No. 1 which would give us our choice.
They'll go Appel. He can't afford to play hard ball this time around.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:43 PM
hawksfan50

I hate both Alabama and ND --but remember ND barely beat Stanford in OT in ND and that was before Stanford changed to Hogan at QB (they played much better under Hogan down the stretch after that)..

BAMA did have sone patsies on the sked AND the SEC is over-rated-witness FLA and LSU losing bowl games -and so who cam really say who the best team at the end was: Alabama? Oregon? Texas A&M ? Stanford with Hogan?-FOR SURE any of OREGON ,Texas A&M or Stanford woulfhave given BANMA a better "contest" than NOTRE SHAME or is it NOTRE SHAM did....but iyt has nothing to do with SEC "greatness"--just that every year there are only a few worthy cream of the crop teams around at the end --in this case we can easily identify them but i don't think BAMA would have "clobbered" any of those other 3 teams like they did the ND overhyped pretenders..

BTW---some body check the tapes- not that it would have made much difference-STILL you could call the BAMA o-line for HOLDING on almost every play...I never knew that hands and arms around an oppnents arms is permitted ,nor hands closed on jerseys in the old grab n' clutch --how come nobody calls this "cheat" anymore-never have i seen a o-line do it as much as Bana did and get away with it -no wonder the running holes were so big --it seems the refs only call Bama for it if a Bama o-lineman has to tackle an opponent down ...BAMA is too good and talented to ALSO be allowed to cheat like that-NOT that it would have made any difference-ND was so over-matched to begin with...

Old
01-09-2013, 08:56 AM
coldsteelonice84

I can't believe Piazza isn't getting into the HOF.

Old
01-09-2013, 01:11 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
I can't believe Piazza isn't getting into the HOF.
I still can't believe that Bonds and Clemens didn't get in.

.... actually, I take that back, as I knew it was going to happen. I just can't believe that enough HoF voters were against letting them in just because of steroids when their pre-steroid careers were so ridiculous, especially after Major League Baseball turned a blind eye to the issue for about a decade in order to draw fans back. Not to mention that a lot of the players that started taking it did so during a time when doing so wasn't against MLB rules.

Just let players in regardless, who cares? Plenty of players in the Hall never had to face black opponents and a significant number regularly took amphetamines. So what, this is the steroid era. Everybody knows that, it's just one of the eras of baseball like the deadball era, the segregation era, the expansion era, the greenie era, etc., etc. No need for asterisks, everybody knows its already. At most, it just needs a mention describing why the batting numbers of the 1990s to 2000s were not proportional to what came before and after.

Closed Thread