HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Subban to re-sign with Montreal soon?

Old
01-09-2013, 09:07 AM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
He's more likely to get Darren Dreger money.

nobody get Dreger dollars

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 09:07 AM
Domino11

I love subban but he doesn't deserve more then 5m a year ... He not as good as Myers for now and he got 5.5 m ... If he's asking for 7m then he's drunk or something !! Don't get me wrong I really like subban but we need to be realistic here

Domino11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 09:16 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

He's the 59-pt season off Doughty. The rest would have lined up ok, maybe, but that's a big omission in his resume. Arguably, it could be partially balanced out with extra "hazard pay" and tax premium that Habs contracts sometimes command. But it still can't conceivably add up to a $7M figure.

I do think he'll match Doughty at some point, however... so to me it's nuts if he pushes so hard right now for a long term deal when he can't sensibly ask for that much. The short term bridge at the numbers he has earned ($4-5M) would seem smarter to me, then he ought to be good to go for the Doughty contract to start 2014-15, probably (/hopefully).

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 09:17 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino11 View Post
I love subban but he doesn't deserve more then 5m a year ... He not as good as Myers for now and he got 5.5 m ... If he's asking for 7m then he's drunk or something !! Don't get me wrong I really like subban but we need to be realistic here
I think he is just as good as Myers

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 09:26 AM
tony d
The franchise

Subban won't get it. Doughty's proven himself as a legit 1st pairing guy. Right now Subban looks like a very good 2nd pairing defenseman.

01-09-2013, 09:31 AM
seanlinden

I just don't see a way that these 2 sides come to a long term agreement. Subban's ego is substantially larger than his talent level, and as a result I can't see him agreeing to a long term deal that doesn't pay him big money. Meanwhile, I just don't see it as a good idea for the Habs to sign him to that type of deal.

Perhaps, the best option would be for a 1 or 2 year bridge deal where the risk is substantially lower.

That being said, one would think that Subban's representatives realize that the Habs are going to be desperate to get a deal done quickly, and use the threat of a 7-day time period from ratification to puck drop into making a deal that they'll regret almost immediately. Perhaps, holding out and refusing to negotiate anything less than a 3 year deal, might be the right call for Subban. His reputation as a me-first player can't really get any worse, and eventually the Habs are going to realize that they need him in the lineup.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 09:40 AM
EveryDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Subban won't get it. Doughty's proven himself as a legit 1st pairing guy. Right now Subban looks like a very good 2nd pairing defenseman.

Subban is a first pairing defenceman. He can play first PK/PP and against the other team best lines. He log 25 minutes per games last year(20th NHL).

EveryDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 09:45 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Well, he'd be good on the 2nd pairing if we still had Robinson, Savard, and Lapointe maybe. But those days are soooo long gone, alas. He's easily first pairing in the modern NHL, no doubt about that. But he has to put up bigger offensive numbers to get more than $5M per. He was slow off the hop and struggled too much on the PP for that to have happened last year. The rest of his game was there. But the points weren't. They'll get there, I believe. But the Habs don't seem to have much of a track record of paying guys based on "belief"... they reward them just fine once they do hit the performance levels, however.

I guess as long as the cap tagging doesn't preclude a $5-5-6-6-7-7-7-7M structure for a Subban deal, I'd personally feel comfortable that he'd earn it. That's $50M/8yrs or $6.25M cap. A shade under Price. But one step less proven, however, and I just don't recall the Habs doing "faith" raises of that magnitude before. It's new management and relatively new ownership too, however, so who knows.

I don't think the Habs will feel too pressured to settle, though, if there is a fundamental divide. It's a short season and hopes aren't so high in Habdom, there really isn't fan expectation to win or anything. The $$$ tick down pretty quckly in an ~100 day pay season for players this year, so if it drags out, Subban will lose money at a pretty rapid pace too.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 09:48 AM
danyhabsfan

2 years 8-8.5M

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 09:56 AM
danyhabsfan

Quote:
Their is only 17 defenseman who average more ice time than him last season.

6 of them had a worst +-
6 of them had less points

He had a +9 rating on a last place team.

13 pts in his last 20 games and +8.

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 09:58 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Clearly you have never seen Subban play. He's a 1st pairing dman...it can't even be argued.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 10:15 AM
Habsawce

vCash: 200
Subban will NOT be paid more than Carey Price in any scenario for MTL. It just won't happen, and could not be justified by MB.

Look for a bridge contract where he'll need to rise to one of the best defensemen in the game if he wants to earn more than Price.

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 10:17 AM
roboninja
EYG

If he wants bigger bucks, he is better off taking the usual Habs 2-year deal, and then showing more improvement over the next couple fo seasons. 2 years - $9M sounds about right.

roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 10:21 AM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
Imo 4.6-5.2 a year

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 10:33 AM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
PK is no DD, BUT if there is truth that MTL is giving him 4, he at least gets 5, I was think 5.5 for maybe 5-6 years.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 10:44 AM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
If its true lets trade him for Evander Kane or Jamie Benn
Maybe Kane if you add, but all PK does is get Dallas to accept your call on Benn.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 10:51 AM
Hennig
It was 4-1.

vCash: 1684
Habs will get him locked up, no doubt in my mind. I also call BS that's he's asking for doughty money. Subban is an intelligent man and most likely knows he isn't worth that.

Something along the lines of 6m if its long term, 5m if its a shorter contract.

Hennig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 10:59 AM
EveryDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
Maybe Kane if you add, but all PK does is get Dallas to accept your call on Benn.
You think Kane hold more value then Pk Subban? can i ask why?

EveryDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:18 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
There are some Montreal fans who believe he is a "generational talent". Time to put your money where your mouth is.
Stongly disagree with this. Having a couple fans on the hockey board talking about his potential does not justify a ridiculous contract.

IMO - PK has looked good and has top pair potential. That's similar to guys like John Carlson or the like. If the Habs only want a 2 year contract - the Doughty comparison is way off base.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:20 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Should be looking to the Myers/Tavares deals for a comparable...

struckbyaparkedcar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:21 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
didn't that originally start from a dreger tweet yesterday? dreger generally, somewhat, knows his ****, but if i had a dollar for every ******** habs-related rumor he put out, i'd be like scrooge, diving in money in my own titanic-sized bank vault...

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:25 AM
mavstar
I hate Nucks' fans

Yeah right, he won't get close to Doughty money, especially considering the new CBA. 5m/year TOPS.

mavstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:29 AM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
You think Kane hold more value then Pk Subban? can i ask why?
That's a loaded question in here lol. I like the power forward style of player a lot, and I think at 21 he's already hit numbers that are eye opening. 30 goals on a Winnipeg team that isn't fully 'there' yet = big, big numbers as he gets older and matures. Meanwhile, Subban plays in all situations, but is viewed as a bit of a pain in the behind around the league (don't shoot the messenger here, I'm not the only one I'm sure). So, is the swap a 1 for 1? No IMO, I think the Habs would have to add personally.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:30 AM
No Quarter

Ya right PK

No Quarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:52 AM
Domino11

I think John Carlson is a good comparison to subban ... Same kind of player!! Carlson got 3.96m if subban get over 4m per for 2 year then MB ad no choice to sign !! If subban ask too much put him on the market ... Get a guy like Kane .. Or something else but if he's really asking for 7 get him out of mtl ASAP

Domino11 is offline   Reply With Quote