HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

The Lockout (is over!!!!!)

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2013, 09:17 AM
BTCG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
Whatcha ma who?
Holtby has been solid in the AHL, and has the 2nd highest save pct. while facing the 2nd most shots.
Alzner and Carlson have less value than they once did?

Look what you're leading with: his AHL play.

Hockey is a 'what have you done lately' proposition. So Holtby goes from elite on the biggest stage in the world, to being good in a league that doesn't compare to the NHL.

I went and watched him play myself: he looked like a good AHLer.

Alzner and Carlson's play dropped off last season. Factor the 'what have you done lately' to these two, and they're not worth what they once were.

You either see it, or you don't.

Old
01-09-2013, 09:23 AM
txpd

i thought carlson had a terrible sophmore slump, but i got no such feeling on alzner. by the playoffs carlson's game resumed its high level.

my view on the goalies is that they are both good young goalies and good young goalies are often inconsistant.

Old
01-09-2013, 09:49 AM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i thought carlson had a terrible sophmore slump, but i got no such feeling on alzner. by the playoffs carlson's game resumed its high level.

my view on the goalies is that they are both good young goalies and good young goalies are often inconsistant.
I can't disagree with you on that. I would couch this by saying that both of them (Carlson and Alzner) played much better at the end of the year than during much of it.

But in getting back to my main point, both players fell off a bit, and any trader talking with GMGM about a deal would certainly point this out.

The 2 goalies are both good, and to expand on what I was saying, much of Holtby's problem isn't entirely his fault: it's a byproduct of the lockout, and he suffers from being forced to play in a league he otherwise would not have had to play in.

In fairness, yes, he did look like a good AHLer when I saw him... but I've often quoted this truism over the years:

"Only the mediocre are always at their best"

But again... my point: any serious trader is going to use the AHL play to get a better deal.

Old
01-09-2013, 09:52 AM
BTCG

Oh... forgot this:

Halpysback hits the nail on the head as to the timing of a firesale: that ship... sailed.

Old
01-09-2013, 09:52 AM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

I'm angry that I'm excited about this. It's like I'm getting back together with that crappy girlfriend because I'm too lazy to find something else.

Mods in preseason form ...post 1005

Old
01-09-2013, 09:57 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckBuddy View Post
Mods in preseason form ...post 1005
Um. Thats Caps postseason form right there.

Closed Thread