HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Looking back at the Roy trade

Old
01-09-2013, 08:38 AM
Jame
Dream '16

vCash: 500
I looked back...
and what I saw was beautiful

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 08:38 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Somebody has to. Track record, especially post-lockout Ruff, says that a new "guy" will be called upon from the start to do exactly what you said in the bolded.

My immediate attempt to get inside Lindy's head has me thinking it will be Ennis.
That's my fear...

Old
01-09-2013, 08:49 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

I actually think even though he said Ennis after last season, it's gonna end up being Hodgson. Ruff likes his guys to be good defensively, and Hodgson is more likely to fill that role than Ennis. Ruff trusted Roy in all zones...I think he's more likely to trust Hodgson than Ennis in that same role.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 08:50 AM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
Wasn't it 10-11 where the Sabres were DFL in the league and then Roy went down and they went on a tear and made the playoff? This assumption that the team is worse off with Ott and without Roy, the most recent sample set says otherwise.

I don't mind seeing Roy gone for a variety of reasons. I appreciate having Ott on board for a variety of reasons. I don't think Roy could have fetched so much more at the trade deadline more than the Sabres got in the offseason, that it was worth carrying him. I'm sure Roy was not going to be resigned in any event.

I do think it was a good hockey trade even discounting the contract and salary implications.

I guess the comparable would be the Ribiero trade that opened up a spot for Roy in Dallas. Which would you rather have on this Sabres team right now?

A) Derek Roy
B) Steve Ott and Adam Pardy
C) Mike Ribiero
D) Dallas Eakin and Mike Winther

Last edited by Ralonzo: 01-09-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Ralonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 09:40 AM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Ruff just reiterated on HH that Ennis will be put in Roy's role, mentioning that Ennis will get all the top offensive opportunities. The irony in all that is that only Gaustad had a smaller % of offensive-zone starts than Roy--Hodgson, Ennis, Leino, et al. had higher percentage of offensive-zone starts.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 10:41 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Ruff just reiterated on HH that Ennis will be put in Roy's role, mentioning that Ennis will get all the top offensive opportunities. The irony in all that is that only Gaustad had a smaller % of offensive-zone starts than Roy--Hodgson, Ennis, Leino, et al. had higher percentage of offensive-zone starts.
I'd think he was trying to get fired, if I didn't know how stupid he is

Old
01-09-2013, 10:57 AM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Paxon
Quote:
It's clear from what he said that "Roy's role" meant as the #1 center offensively-speaking. I don't think it was meant to imply anything outside of getting lots of even strength time, PP time, and offensive zone starts.

He also said he expects Ott will be taking lots of key faceoffs, in case anyone's interested.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:27 PM
joshjull

Quote:
I think that was a product of Roy getting Goose's defensive zone starts after the trade. Primarily for Roy's faceoff ability.

Last year Roy started 48.9 % of his shifts in the offensive zone and thats the lowest that number has been in the last 5 seasons.

The previous 4 seasons

10-11 --> 61.8%
09-10 --> 51.6%
08-09 --> 50.9%
07-08 --> 54.2%

Its also worth pointing out that Hodgson getting 52.3% of his starts in the offensive zone includes 63gms with the Nucks. A team with Kesler, Malhotra and Lapierre on it would leave few opportunities for Cody to get many d-zone starts.

I think Ruff envisions Ennis being the Roy that started 50+% of his starts in the offensive zone. Not the one that was in a more defensive role at the tail end of last season.

Last edited by joshjull: 01-09-2013 at 12:32 PM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:12 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

It's an interesting trade. I didn't want to trade Roy but both players are good. Maybe people haven't seen pardy because he's not bad.

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote