HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

The 2013 Oilers Preview (Season Starts In Van on Jan. 20th)

Old
01-09-2013, 02:58 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Jones being on our 3rd line is one of the main reasons we have been the worst team in the league for 3 years running. Do you think Jones cracks the third line in LA? Van? Heck even Toronto he'd have a hard time with.
Are we watching the same Ryan Jones? A guy that scores just under 20 goals, and plays a key part of your PK is a valuable asset... To ANY team

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 03:05 AM
oilersrule14

vCash: 500
Quote:
Jones being on our 3rd line is one of the main reasons we have been the worst team in the league for 3 years running. Do you think Jones cracks the third line in LA? Van? Heck even Toronto he'd have a hard time with.
Who the heck's LA's 3rd line right winger? Trevor Lewis? Vancouver's is Jannik Hansen? And I don't know who plays 3rd line RW for Toronto, some AHL scrub last year but I guess it might have been Kulemin if they were healthy all last year.

But I think it's pretty concensus that Ryan Jones is in those guy's league right? Actually, Trevor Lewis he's just plain better than. LA would love to have Jones on their third line I'm sure.

oilersrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 03:27 AM
harpoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Ya... No. 35 goals in the last 2 years, and one of our main PK guys... sure is too bad we have to pay him a whopping 1.5 million a season
I agree. I can't imagine how a fan of hockey wouldn't like what Ryan Jones brings to the rink.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 07:39 AM
CupofOil
Fire Lowe

Quote:
If Colin Fraser can make their 4th line, Jones could most certainly make their 3rd line and Toronto? Have you seen their lineup?
Jones is NOT the reason that the Oilers bottom 6 is incompetent. In fact, he has been the lone bright spot in an otherwise dull bottom 6 the last 2 years. It's amazing how underappreciated he is by some Oiler fans.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 09:40 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Some thoughts............

Dont expect Nail Yakupov to get good linemates/TOI. I heard an interview on monday with Tambellini and he said the best place for Yakupov to start the season would be OKC, but because of his age, that isnt possible, so he will have to play on the big team. He sounded like they would be bringing him along slowly, so I fully expect Yakupov to get the Seguin treatment, playing in the bottom six with some second unit pp time.

I see Oiler fans consistently penning Whitney into the bottom paring with scrubs like Peckham, Potter, etc. Again, it wouldnt surprise me to see Whitney get preference over J. Schultz in just about every situation. Look for Whitney to get a top four role, and Schultz to be stuck in the bottom pairing with some pp time.

If Shawn Horcoff gets even a sniff of pp time, we will know that it is business as usual and that Krueger is Renney, Finkle is Einhorn.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 09:49 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post

Dont expect Nail Yakupov to get good linemates/TOI. I heard an interview on monday with Tambellini and he said the best place for Yakupov to start the season would be OKC, but because of his age, that isnt possible, so he will have to play on the big team. He sounded like they would be bringing him along slowly, so I fully expect Yakupov to get the Seguin treatment, playing in the bottom six with some second unit pp time.

I see Oiler fans consistently penning Whitney into the bottom paring with scrubs like Peckham, Potter, etc. Again, it wouldnt surprise me to see Whitney get preference over J. Schultz in just about every situation. Look for Whitney to get a top four role, and Schultz to be stuck in the bottom pairing with some pp time.

If Shawn Horcoff gets even a sniff of pp time, we will know that it is business as usual and that Krueger is Renney, Finkle is Einhorn.
There is nothing wrong with Yakupov on the 3rd line and J.Schultz on the bottom pairing as long as both get quality PP time. Seguin treatment is fine.
I hope we try Smyth as C taking faceoffs on PP .. otherwise I wouldnt be surprised to see Horc on the 2nd PP unit.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 09:52 AM
The Last Dynasty
We're in Hell men

Quote:
to be fair we were 3rd in the league on the PP last year
(although a monkey could replace Horc and it would still be in the top half)

The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 09:54 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
to be fair we were 3rd in the league on the PP last year
(although a monkey could replace Horc and it would still be in the top half)
That is such a bogus argument. What did the pp rank all the other years Horcoff was on it? Clearly he is driving the bus.

A link to current line combos as per Oilers website.

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/depthchart.htm?dcid=528

Old
01-09-2013, 09:55 AM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
There is nothing wrong with Yakupov on the 3rd line and J.Schultz on the bottom pairing as long as both get quality PP time. Seguin treatment is fine.
I hope we try Smyth as C taking faceoffs on PP .. otherwise I wouldnt be surprised to see Horc on the 2nd PP unit.
That would contradict what Krueger said. Since the draft he's basically been saying that he's going to put Yakupov in a situation where he can score as many goals as possible.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 09:59 AM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:

I can see Yakupov starting the season as the 3rd line RW. I doubt he ends the season outside of the top 6.

The Oilers aren't the Bruins and will need him playing bigger minutes once he's learned the system.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 10:01 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
That is such a bogus argument. What did the pp rank all the other years Horcoff was on it? Clearly he is driving the bus.

Whoever put those line combos on the website is in full agreement with me.

Old
01-09-2013, 10:04 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
Whoever put those line combos on the website is in full agreement with me.
You like the toughness Paajarvi brings to the fourth line?

That is the softest lineup in the league.

Old
01-09-2013, 10:04 AM
Wheatking

Quote:

Those lines make sense. I really want to see Yakupov and Hemsky together....especially if Hemsky is playing as well as Smid said he was in Czech.

Old
01-09-2013, 10:05 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:

The top 6 is soft and will be until they find a big 2C to replace Gagner and/or move Hemsky creating a space for Hartikainen in the top 6. For now they have to work with what they've got.

I missed Paajarvi on the 4th line. I would put him in OKC and Pettrell on the 4th line.

Old
01-09-2013, 10:07 AM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
That would contradict what Krueger said. Since the draft he's basically been saying that he's going to put Yakupov in a situation where he can score as many goals as possible.
No contradiction here.. being on a line that gets the 3 most minutes does not mean he wont have skilled plyers on his line.

Old
01-09-2013, 10:09 AM
Wheatking

Quote:

I doubt Paajarvi makes the team. Petrell plays on the 4th line and then he'll start to alternate with Eager/Hordichuk once Jones comes back. I think Hartikainen will prove that he's ready for a bottom 6 role....and like you said, we could use all the physicality we can find.

Old
01-09-2013, 10:10 AM
Wheatking

Quote:
No contradiction here.. being on a line that gets the 3 most minutes does not mean he wont have skilled plyers on his line.
If we're talking about Hemsky/Gagner vs Horcoff/Smyth...it is a contradiction. If you want to see Yakupov score a ton of goals, you put him on a line with Hemsky. I'm sure that's what we'll end up seeing.

Old
01-09-2013, 10:14 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
It means he will have Horcoff and Smyth on his line. Gagner and Hemsky aren't playing less ES minutes than those 2.

Old
01-09-2013, 10:30 AM
OilDrop37

Quote:

I wouldn't be shocked to see Yakupov get "Horcoffized" for this year

Smyth-Horcoff-Yakupov

Gives Hemsky more offensive linemates

OilDrop37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 10:31 AM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
If we're talking about Hemsky/Gagner vs Horcoff/Smyth...it is a contradiction. If you want to see Yakupov score a ton of goals, you put him on a line with Hemsky. I'm sure that's what we'll end up seeing.
why are we assuming it is Hemsky/Gagner vs Horcoff/Smyth?
Factor in the possibilty of Hartikainen in top 6 and things change.

I can easily see Horcoff get more ES minutes than Gagner and maybe even RNH.
There is no denying that Yakupov will be a top 4 forward for us in a year or 2 but you cant ink him in top 6 playing the off wing right away..

IMO.. hel'll start on 3rd line.. at some point get demoted to 4th and might even watch a game or 2 up from PB before settling into the 2nd line by the end of the season.

Old
01-09-2013, 10:34 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
I wouldn't be shocked to see Yakupov get "Horcoffized" for this year

Smyth-Horcoff-Yakupov

Gives Hemsky more offensive linemates
You think Jones or Hartikainen are better offensive players than Nail Yakupov?

Having Hemsky and Yakupov play on the same line is very possible. Yakupov spent a lot of time on LW in the KHL and did just fine.

Old
01-09-2013, 10:35 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
why are we assuming it is Hemsky/Gagner vs Horcoff/Smyth?
Factor in the possibilty of Hartikainen in top 6 and things change.

I can easily see Horcoff get more ES minutes than Gagner and maybe even RNH.
There is no denying that Yakupov will be a top 4 forward for us in a year or 2 but you cant ink him in top 6 playing the off wing right away..

IMO.. hel'll start on 3rd line.. at some point get demoted to 4th and might even watch a game or 2 up from PB before settling into the 2nd line by the end of the season.
Can you tell me the last time that happened to someone drafted first overall?

A team with almost no secondary scoring will not bury its arguably best natural goal scorer on the 4th line and in the press box.

Old
01-09-2013, 10:37 AM
Petro Points

Quote:
You think Jones or Hartikainen are better offensive players than Nail Yakupov?

Having Hemsky and Yakupov play on the same line is very possible. Yakupov spent a lot of time on LW in the KHL and did just fine.
no but Hall is ..
Hall-Gagner/RNH-Hemsky
Hartikainen-RNH/Gagner-Eberle ??

Old
01-09-2013, 10:40 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:

A team with almost no secondary scoring will not bury its arguably best natural goal scorer on the 4th line and in the press box.
Im thinking Craig Mactavish has been posting here all along.

Old
01-09-2013, 10:42 AM
Petro Points

Quote:

Draft is over .. PB was a stretch but players new to the system are not always thrown straight into the fire..
We all cry about how we rushed Gagner ... Even he on a pretty crappy Oiler team spent portion of a season on the 4th line.. As did Hemsky ... and most recently Paajarvi.

They are no 1st overalls but were high picks.

Seguin and Duchene have been 3rd liners as well..

This team is not built around Yakupov.. Kruger would have said the same about everyone... He would want everyone on his team to score as many goals as they can..