HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who do the Oilers buyout? (If anyone)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-08-2013, 01:26 PM
  #301
popo
Registered User
 
popo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
One other interesting note about the buyouts is that teams can use them in either 2013 or 2014. That means that even if the Oilers don't use it to buyout Horcoff next year, they could still buy out the final year of his deal the following season.

Also, the Oilers buying out Horcoff's contract has nothing to do with admitting they were wrong in signing him in the first place. Yes, he fell well short of what they expected, but they didn't expect him to be a $5.5M player in the final 2 years of his deal in the first place. I think there's still a very good chance they use the buyout option on him, it just might not be until the 2014 offseason.
This is exactly what I was thinking. They might keep him for one more year after the shortened season. By 2014-15 the cost of the buyout is far less for ownership, and the cap space becomes more of a pressing need with RNH's rookie deal expriring.
Another factor is the buyout window itself: is it restricted to a specific date or can it happen at any point in the summer? As some teams - like the Oilers with Horcoff- might make a decision based on what fish they can land in free agency.

popo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:54 PM
  #302
misfit
Moderator
 
misfit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: just north of...everything
Posts: 15,575
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
If the Oilers lose Smid, Gagner or Harti because they don't buy out Horcoff I'll lose my marbles.
Smid, Gagner, and Hartikainen's raises would probably end up to about $3.5-4M in additional salary total, and they'll have over $11M in room under the cap. And that's WITH Horcoff on the books.

__________________
If you are offended by this post, it's probably because you're ugly.
misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 06:47 PM
  #303
oilerbear
Registered User
 
oilerbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Stop embarrassing yourself.
Ebarrassing?

Liquor!

You spew your trite vitrol without offering options.

Answer these questions genius!

1. What were horcoffs roles on the team last year?

2. What are the expected results for the roles. (actual situation results since the 04 lockout)

3. Name one players who can cover these roles.

or two players who can cover the roles.

4. Give realistic ways to acquire the player or players.

I look forward to your educated response. (I do hope you have one. Your passion for this point would be justified. )

Refusing to do so would take embarasing to a who new level thou.
I would take it to mean you are (what red calls his son on the 70's Show)

Ps. After (if) he has failed.
I will check tomorrow.

Then the same challenge goes out to all the buyout Horcoffs who offer no option.

It does bother me that you guys do not want to win.

oilerbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:09 PM
  #304
Oil Gauge
Registered User
 
Oil Gauge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,500
vCash: 500
I think they buy him out in the summer of 2014, They probably need him for this season and next, but then when RNH Hall and Eberle are all making at least 6Mil Horcoffs 5.5Mil might get in the way.

by the 2015 season they should have a good replacement ready, until then he makes a good 3rd/4th line center

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:10 PM
  #305
Tarus
Fire Mact
 
Tarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerbear View Post
1. What were horcoffs roles on the team last year?

2. What are the expected results for the roles. (actual situation results since the 04 lockout)

3. Name one players who can cover these roles.

or two players who can cover the roles.

4. Give realistic ways to acquire the player or players.
1. A modest standard(underwhelming really, given his contract) of attempting to be solid defensively while providing some offense - he was terrible at both

2. Not failing miserably, which obviously didn't happen.

3. 300 - 400 NHL players - pick any

4. A proactive management group that can put aside their egos and focus on results, not contracts.

But that probably isn't realistic with regards to the Oilers.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:23 PM
  #306
oilerbear
Registered User
 
oilerbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
1. A modest standard(underwhelming really, given his contract) of attempting to be solid defensively while providing some offense - he was terrible at both

2. Not failing miserably, which obviously didn't happen.

3. 300 - 400 NHL players - pick any

4. A proactive management group that can put aside their egos and focus on results, not contracts.

But that probably isn't realistic with regards to the Oilers.
Liquor!
Changed names?

TARUS:
You are not helping your position!
I mean really not helping!
I mean Duelling Bango not Helping!


Last edited by oilerbear: 01-08-2013 at 07:28 PM.
oilerbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:26 PM
  #307
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,263
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerbear View Post
Ebarrassing?

Liquor!

You spew your trite vitrol without offering options.

Answer these questions genius!

1. What were horcoffs roles on the team last year?

2. What are the expected results for the roles. (actual situation results since the 04 lockout)

3. Name one players who can cover these roles.

or two players who can cover the roles.

4. Give realistic ways to acquire the player or players.

I look forward to your educated response. (I do hope you have one. Your passion for this point would be justified. )

Refusing to do so would take embarasing to a who new level thou.
I would take it to mean you are (what red calls his son on the 70's Show)

Ps. After (if) he has failed.
I will check tomorrow.

Then the same challenge goes out to all the buyout Horcoffs who offer no option.

It does bother me that you guys do not want to win.
How much is Shawn Horcoff worth?

How much of his 5.5mil cap hit does he earn?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:35 PM
  #308
UnrefinedCrude
Registered User
 
UnrefinedCrude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
How much is Shawn Horcoff worth?

How much of his 5.5mil cap hit does he earn?
How shallow is the ocean?
How cold is the sun?

How much of a deal is Horcoff?

UnrefinedCrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:58 PM
  #309
Oil Gauge
Registered User
 
Oil Gauge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
How much is Shawn Horcoff worth?

How much of his 5.5mil cap hit does he earn?
Just because he's overpaid doesn't mean that he can't be useful. he's a great 3rd line center.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:41 PM
  #310
Tarus
Fire Mact
 
Tarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerbear View Post
Liquor!
Changed names?

TARUS:
You are not helping your position!
I mean really not helping!
I mean Duelling Bango not Helping!
Don't worry dude, I'm sure you'll set us all straight.

Because after all, Horcoff is the best even-strength player in the league, produces as the same points per million as Crosby, and is crucial to the Oilers winning lottery pi....err, games.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:42 PM
  #311
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,263
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
Just because he's overpaid doesn't mean that he can't be useful. he's a great 3rd line center.
In what way? I cant think of any tbh.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:19 PM
  #312
Oil Gauge
Registered User
 
Oil Gauge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
In what way? I cant think of any tbh.
He can be a defensively responsible 3rd line center that can win you a draw when needed.

Obviously not worth anywhere near $5.5Mil but he can fill a role on this team better than the alternative. maybe one of the prospects steps up and makes Horcoff expendable but until then I think Horcoff is a fine answer on the 3rd line. Open your mind to that idea this season and watch him play in that role without the expectations of a 5.5mil player.

This team can win with Horcoff on the 3rd line.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:30 PM
  #313
SephF
Thanks Smytty
 
SephF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,498
vCash: 500
Horcoff is better then Vandevelde and Lander right now, I'm not the one signing his cheques and they're not losing players due to being capped out. Until either one of those two players is ready to take over, or they're going to lose an important player due to capspace I see no reason to buy Horcoff out.

Would love to have him on the team @ 2.5m but the Oilers won't be allowed to re-sign him.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:33 PM
  #314
nabob
Hall for captain
 
nabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: HF boards
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
He can be a defensively responsible 3rd line center that can win you a draw when needed.

Obviously not worth anywhere near $5.5Mil but he can fill a role on this team better than the alternative. maybe one of the prospects steps up and makes Horcoff expendable but until then I think Horcoff is a fine answer on the 3rd line. Open your mind to that idea this season and watch him play in that role without the expectations of a 5.5mil player.

This team can win with Horcoff on the 3rd line.
If you want someone who can win a faceoff and contribute very little offensively, while still bleeding goals against then a guy like steckle can be picked up for peanuts.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:07 PM
  #315
topchowda
Registered User
 
topchowda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
How much is Shawn Horcoff worth?

How much of his 5.5mil cap hit does he earn?
Hes worth 3 million, plays a role that we absolutly need, and doesnt handcuff cap space wise.

Lander has no business on the third line, he could maybe put up 15 points and isnt as defensively responsible

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 01:02 AM
  #316
Oil Gauge
Registered User
 
Oil Gauge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
If you want someone who can win a faceoff and contribute very little offensively, while still bleeding goals against then a guy like steckle can be picked up for peanuts.
So buy out horcoff and sign Steckle in the off season. Not any further ahead really.

The point is not his cap hit, the point is that he can fill a 3rd line center position and not hurt this team.

We are all pissed off that he gets 5.5 per year and doesn't produce enough to merit that, but at some point you have to look past that and see that he is still a serviceable NHL player.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 08:15 AM
  #317
Philly85
Moody'
 
Philly85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
So buy out horcoff and sign Steckle in the off season. Not any further ahead really.

The point is not his cap hit, the point is that he can fill a 3rd line center position and not hurt this team.

We are all pissed off that he gets 5.5 per year and doesn't produce enough to merit that, but at some point you have to look past that and see that he is still a serviceable NHL player.
When a guy is that overpaid, devoid of any leadership skills as your captain, isn't physical and whose one "thing you could hang your hat on" - faceoffs - he isn't even good at anymore... Then combine all this with a -50 in the past 3 years... that doesn't tell me he's that good or that serviceable as a hockey player. Not to mention he's a black hole offensively. That suggests to me is probably a 4th liner.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 08:18 AM
  #318
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,451
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
When a guy is that overpaid, devoid of any leadership skills as your captain, isn't physical and whose one "thing you could hang your hat on" - faceoffs - he isn't even good at anymore... Then combine all this with a -50 in the past 3 years... that doesn't tell me he's that good or that serviceable as a hockey player. Not to mention he's a black hole offensively. That suggests to me is probably a 4th liner.
On the cheap, I think Matt Stajan, who will be a UFA soon, would comfortably replace the Horcoff, no question in my mind.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 08:59 AM
  #319
Gord
Go Esks!
 
Gord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,544
vCash: 1255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
On the cheap, I think Matt Stajan, who will be a UFA soon, would comfortably replace the Horcoff, no question in my mind.
suggesting Stajan is as much of a face palm as keeping Horcoff.
you don't get rid of a player just to bring in crap.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 09:20 AM
  #320
misfit
Moderator
 
misfit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: just north of...everything
Posts: 15,575
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
When a guy is that overpaid, devoid of any leadership skills as your captain, isn't physical and whose one "thing you could hang your hat on" - faceoffs - he isn't even good at anymore... Then combine all this with a -50 in the past 3 years... that doesn't tell me he's that good or that serviceable as a hockey player. Not to mention he's a black hole offensively. That suggests to me is probably a 4th liner.
I love how this line keeps being pumped out as though it's fact despite the fact that in runs in glaring contrast to his reputation as well as what has been said by people who would actually know one way or another.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 09:25 AM
  #321
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,263
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I love how this line keeps being pumped out as though it's fact despite the fact that in runs in glaring contrast to his reputation as well as what has been said by people who would actually know one way or another.
You mean the way he never accepts responsibility and instead throws teammates under the bus?

Or the way he complains about his pp TOI?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 09:36 AM
  #322
Gone
Fire KLowe
 
Gone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Earth
Posts: 2,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
You mean the way he never accepts responsibility and instead throws teammates under the bus?

Or the way he complains about his pp TOI?
Get over it, Horcoff is never getting bought out ... he's the owners best friend. They'll buy out Taylor Hall before Horcoff.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 09:58 AM
  #323
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,263
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
Get over it, Horcoff is never getting bought out ... he's the owners best friend. They'll buy out Taylor Hall before Horcoff.
You got the stones to honor our bet in a shortened season?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 09:59 AM
  #324
Hoogaar23
Registered User
 
Hoogaar23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
When a guy is that overpaid, devoid of any leadership skills as your captain, isn't physical and whose one "thing you could hang your hat on" - faceoffs - he isn't even good at anymore... Then combine all this with a -50 in the past 3 years... that doesn't tell me he's that good or that serviceable as a hockey player. Not to mention he's a black hole offensively. That suggests to me is probably a 4th liner.
Yeah - I think the Horcoff defenders have failed to look at this results the last 3 years. "Great defensively"? Every time he's on the ice we're fishing pucks out of our net. Can't connect on a one timer. Can't skate. Butter soft player. Not only does he not hit, he puts a ton of effort in to avoid hitting opponents. He hasn't been over 50% on the dot in 3 years.

I've never once heard him say he had a bad year. Guys like Scott Gomez and Ryan Whitney were men enough to look in the mirror and see their seasons for what they were: crap. And owned up to it. Horcoff? Nah - it's everybody else's fault...

There is nothing that he does on or off the ice that can't be replaced from the UFA scrap heap, or even with Belanger for a fraction of the price.

And what's with all the 3C stuff? When in the last 6 years has Horcoff been a 3C? 3C don't play 19-21 minutes/game...

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 10:13 AM
  #325
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
So buy out horcoff and sign Steckle in the off season. Not any further ahead really.

The point is not his cap hit, the point is that he can fill a 3rd line center position and not hurt this team.

We are all pissed off that he gets 5.5 per year and doesn't produce enough to merit that, but at some point you have to look past that and see that he is still a serviceable NHL player.
No we are all past that argument. Taking that away lets pretend he makes one million a season.

He just doesn't have it in his game anymore. You said he can still win an important faceoff when need be, what are you basing that on? His FO% has been under 50% for the last three seasons.

Have any of you Horcoff Heors actually looked at his stat line or are you basing your love for him off actually watching the games?

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:13 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.