HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Rochester Americans / Minors Thread '12-'13 Ed.

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 02:21 PM
sabrefan27

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disengage View Post
Every other game for 1 month. Rolston went with the guy who was winning. MacIntyre couldn't stop a breakaway to save his life.
Which is, again, ridiculous. You don't sign a top 5 goalie and rotate him for 2 weeks, let alone a month.

I think we're both essentially correct here. MacIntyre didn't play well but Rolston certainly didn't help the cause.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:27 PM
Disengage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
Which is, again, ridiculous. You don't sign a top 5 goalie and rotate him for 2 weeks, let alone a month.

I think we're both essentially correct here. MacIntyre didn't play well but Rolston certainly didn't help the cause.
I can't defend Mac after walking out on the team. It shows how dedicated he is when he had to be photoshopped into the team picture.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:33 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disengage View Post
I can't defend Mac after walking out on the team. It shows how dedicated he is when he had to be photoshopped into the team picture.
I thought it was a personal issue. Either way, I can't imagine anyone saying with a straight face that Rolston properly handled those 2 in the first 2 months. If you can, we'll just agree to disagree. Doesn't matter now anyway.

Old
01-06-2013, 05:20 PM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
I'm going to the game this Friday. It will be interesting to see what the lineup looks like. The Sabres can pull the guys they know will be playing in the NHL (Hodgson, Foligno), but what about the guys that would normally get a look in camp during the offseason? Rochester can't function if they pull all their prospects and guys on two-ways. I'm assuming they've evaluated guys the last few months and leave guys like McNabb on the farm.
You are right. The games played by the guys on the Amerks is a better evaluation of prospects than a regular (much less shortened) training camp.

You will see a very lean training camp roster. Camp is short and they need to hit the ground running (or sprinting). They may bring Grigorenko in. Brennan will be there because his AHL only contract will be void now that the lockout is over. He will need to clear waivers to be assigned to Rochester. McNabb is not going anywhere.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:09 AM
Moskau

vCash: 100
What does the line-up look like with the Buffalo regulars back up? Hoping to see what Sundher can do it an increased role.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:30 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
What does the line-up look like with the Buffalo regulars back up? Hoping to see what Sundher can do it an increased role.
I'd project the forwards as either of these:
Quote:
28 Zemgus Girgensons - 12 Kevin Porter (C) - 25 Mark Mancari (A)
72 Luke Adam - 10 Brian Flynn - 15 Evan Rankin
74 Nick Tarnasky - 32 Rick Schofield - 91 Frederick Roy
92 Kevin Sundher - 22 Phil Varone - 29 Maxime Legault
24 Jonathan Parker
You could flip Legault and Roy above, but Tarnasky-Schofield-Roy has good chemistry.
Quote:
28 Zemgus Girgensons - 12 Kevin Porter (C) - 25 Mark Mancari (A)
72 Luke Adam - 22 Phil Varone - 10 Brian Flynn
74 Nick Tarnasky - 32 Rick Schofield - 15 Evan Rankin
91 Frederick Roy - 92 Kevin Sundher - 29 Maxime Legault
24 Jonathan Parker
Either way, Sundher would still have a fourth line role until a recall or injury.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:23 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
I'd project the forwards as either of these:
You could flip Legault and Roy above, but Tarnasky-Schofield-Roy has good chemistry.

Either way, Sundher would still have a fourth line role until a recall or injury.
You don't think they move Girgensons inside to center?

Old
01-07-2013, 01:49 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
You don't think they move Girgensons inside to center?
That's certainly another option, but no, I don't think that's what they'll do. I can't recall them giving Girgensons even a sniff of center yet, so there's nothing to indicate that he's more likely to move from the wing than any of Flynn, Adam or Sundher.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:36 PM
sabrefan27

With Hodgson and Foligno up, I believe the Amerks only have 11 forwards tomorrow. Time for some defensemen to play forward. Let's see how the Sabres handle this.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:42 PM
UncleBenny

If the Sabres didn't bother signing players to a PTO or calling guys up from the ECHL before, do we really think they're going to do something before tomorrow? We'll have D at forward.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:54 PM
AmerksPuck

Quote:
With Hodgson and Foligno up, I believe the Amerks only have 11 forwards tomorrow. Time for some defensemen to play forward. Let's see how the Sabres handle this.
Any word on the new line combo's? I would think the 1st would stay the same girgs-porter-mancar-, I think some changes need to be made on the 2nd and obviously 3rd line - probably see Sundher and Tarnasky come down, just curious of the combinations...

Old
01-08-2013, 02:29 PM
joshjull

Quote:
I'm guessing not much gets done until NHL rosters shake out.

Old
01-08-2013, 02:50 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

Rolston did say Legault and Schofield should be ready to go within a week, as both skated today, but that doesn't help the Amerks in the short-term. I'd bet it's more of Schiestel at forward tomorrow.

Old
01-08-2013, 06:41 PM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I'm guessing not much gets done until NHL rosters shake out.
I agree.

Mike Harrington‏@BNHarrington
"I got a lot of #Amerks questions. Darcy said after the presser they will need to go get a few more players for Roch cuz NHL is starting."

Old
01-09-2013, 07:50 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Perpare for the worst. Or simply "the usual".

01-09-2013, 08:28 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Perpare for the worst. Or simply "the usual".
Always do, though I'll certainly never be quiet about it.

I'm really not worried about tonight's game. It's not often a lockout ends, so understandable they didn't get anyone. But by next week, there better be some additions to the team. And not ECHL players.

Old
01-09-2013, 09:15 AM
sabrefan27

http://www.xmhomeice.com/onair_audio...n%20Cherry.mp3

Cool interview with Don Cherry about Rochester. Says it's his favorite and most memorable place in his hockey career, over Boston.

Old
01-09-2013, 10:05 AM
UncleBenny

Very cool, makes me wish I was born about 40 years sooner

Old
01-09-2013, 10:15 AM
Rammstein816

From the transaction wire, so far, it's mostly ECHL callups, but teams can't sign players to 2 way contracts until Saturday, so that's when everything will start moving.

http://theahl.com/stats/transactions.php

Old
01-09-2013, 10:24 AM
Rammstein816

Quote:
MacIntyre was an all star and had an insane season and playoff run with Hamilton.
Jonathan Cheechoo was a former NHL 50 goal scorer. Patrick O'Sullivan was once a desirable NHL trade deadline acquisition. Now MacIntyre can't find work in the AHL and, possibly, overseas. If hockey was played on paper, we'd be talking about the gold medal Canadian Junior team with it's 10+ NHL 1st round draft picks. The truth is that this is what makes hockey interesting. Only time will tell if MacIntyre can regain the form that you outlined above. Perhaps next year we'll be talking about Drew MacIntyre, the former Amerks goalie and current AHL all star goaltender, maybe not.

Old
01-09-2013, 10:33 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

Quote:
http://www.xmhomeice.com/onair_audio...n%20Cherry.mp3

Cool interview with Don Cherry about Rochester. Says it's his favorite and most memorable place in his hockey career, over Boston.
Don Stevens and Jody Gage were also on-air guests this week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein816 View Post
From the transaction wire, so far, it's mostly ECHL callups, but teams can't sign players to 2 way contracts until Saturday, so that's when everything will start moving.

http://theahl.com/stats/transactions.php
I forgot that Drew MacKenzie signed a two-way with Abbotsford. It looks like he'll get a look there soon after being recalled from Utah yesterday.

Old
01-09-2013, 10:33 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein816 View Post
Jonathan Cheechoo was a former NHL 50 goal scorer. Patrick O'Sullivan was once a desirable NHL trade deadline acquisition. Now MacIntyre can't find work in the AHL and, possibly, overseas. If hockey was played on paper, we'd be talking about the gold medal Canadian Junior team with it's 10+ NHL 1st round draft picks. The truth is that this is what makes hockey interesting. Only time will tell if MacIntyre can regain the form that you outlined above. Perhaps next year we'll be talking about Drew MacIntyre, the former Amerks goalie and current AHL all star goaltender, maybe not.
I don't see your point. MacIntyre was the best goalie in the AHL in 2010-2011. The Sabres signed him as a free agent that summer. The guy earned his reputation and place in the league many times over by that point. Rotating him every other game with Leggio for the first 1.5 months of the season is poor coaching and poor handling and there's really no argument to the contrary. I'm sorry, Leggio didn't even start playing well until January.

Old
01-09-2013, 10:38 AM
Rammstein816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
I forgot that Drew MacKenzie signed a two-way with Abbotsford. It looks like he'll get a look there soon after being recalled from Utah yesterday.
I'm kind of curious to see how he does. All things considered his NHL chances are likely comparable to Nick Crawford, Alex Biega, Drew Schiestel, or Matt MacKenzie, just they were all signed and there was no more room. Then there's that whole mysterious tweet thing...

Old
01-09-2013, 10:43 AM
UncleBenny

Quote:
I don't see your point. MacIntyre was the best goalie in the AHL in 2010-2011. The Sabres signed him as a free agent that summer. The guy earned his reputation and place in the league many times over by that point. Rotating him every other game with Leggio for the first 1.5 months of the season is poor coaching and poor handling and there's really no argument to the contrary. I'm sorry, Leggio didn't even start playing well until January.
I hate this line of thinking. MacIntyre had so many chances to have big games and win the starting role. He never did it. How many times did he give up a goal a minute into a game? Or give up 3 goals in the 2 minute span when we had the lead? You're a goalie, you show up and play. If you don't stop pucks, that's your own fault.

Old
01-09-2013, 10:43 AM
Rammstein816

Quote:
I don't see your point.
My point is that, at least my thinking is, if he signed an ECHL deal, he couldn't get an AHL deal. If he couldn't get an AHL deal, that had to have been a reason for that. There are numerous reasons for why that may have happened and unless it comes out, which is highly unlikely, all I can do is speculate. Teams may have not been impressed with how he played in Europe, they might have had full rosters, or they may not have liked his time in Rochester. Pure speculation is that there is a chance that other teams were also not impressed with how he played in Rochester, regardless of when he played, who he played against, or what the coach did. Again it's pure speculation, but that's all that we as fans have to go on.

Closed Thread