HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Talk PART V

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2013, 09:02 AM
Isles Enforcer

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
We have already been fooled twice, Gregorie and Kessel.
And where are they today? Gregoire wasn't really lighting it up in St Johns and Kessel can't even stay in the AHL so to me it's a non issue. Gregoire pretty much lied to us saying he thought his best chance to play in the NHL was with the Jets. I'm not so sure about that considering this is the Islanders were talking about here.

As for Lee, if he wants to play in the NHL as soon as possible there's no better option than the Islanders, so I think all of this speculation is nonsense right now. But that's just my opinion.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:22 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Two years younger than Lee, playing pro hockey, 13 goals, 6'2" 215lbs and anyone who has seen him play is impressed. He plays a style than Lee projects to play as well...except he's already proving himself.

I'm a Lee fan too, don't mean to knock him, but let's be realistic.

No way Lee is close to Nino in any way. Nino has proven himself in the CHL, Internationally and in the AHL and just turned 20 a few months ago. He's playing against men, in a professional league, out scoring some pretty good prospects like Couturier, Nugent-Hopkins, B.Schenn, M.Granlund and others, on a team riddled with injuries.

Sorry but Lee is an overage player in the NCAA, nowhere close to the level of competition Niederreiter is facing. Apples and oranges.

No way we should lose Lee for nothing and definitely not over money, on a team that only has prospects and barely a cap floor salary structure.
You are also putting way too much into stats. I wonder what you would have said about John Leclair as a 22 year old (same age as Anders) senior at Vermont. Probably a bust because he was 78th in scoring in the NCAA as a senior and guys like Scott Beattie had triple his point total.

BTW I mention John Leclair because that is exactly the guy Lee reminds me of. Now John Leclair was a solid player and didn't turn into an All-Star 50 goal scorer until he was 27 because of the type of player he was as power forwards take longer. And you'll probably have Anders labelled as overrated/bust for the next 4 or 5 years, BUT this kid can play in the League. I would be willing to bring him along and wait for the payoff.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:40 AM
NYI78

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
You are also putting way too much into stats. I wonder what you would have said about John Leclair as a 22 year old (same age as Anders) senior at Vermont. Probably a bust because he was 78th in scoring in the NCAA as a senior and guys like Scott Beattie had triple his point total.

BTW I mention John Leclair because that is exactly the guy Lee reminds me of. Now John Leclair was a solid player and didn't turn into an All-Star 50 goal scorer until he was 27 because of the type of player he was as power forwards take longer. And you'll probably have Anders labelled as overrated/bust for the next 4 or 5 years, BUT this kid can play in the League. I would be willing to bring him along and wait for the payoff.
NOBODY is call lee a bust..nobody..he is a good prospect..but he is a work in progress and has a lot of work to do to get to the nhl. he needs development but there is no reason to believe he can't find a roll in the nhl

Old
01-08-2013, 09:54 AM
InformTheMasses

Ak Bars won this morning 3-1. Petrov scored what turned out to be the game winner. Pretty goal in the slot roofed a wrist shot (one timer). It was his 10th goal of the season. He also plays an important role defensively on the checking line, hes counted on to finish the games with the lead.

I would like to start ripping all of these prospect highlights and throwing them on youtube for your viewing pleasure. I just haven't been able to find a program that's trustworthy and reliable that can download from the streams I watch. Anybody have any cheap/inexpensive suggestions?

Old
01-08-2013, 10:45 AM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Quote:
Ak Bars won this morning 3-1. Petrov scored what turned out to be the game winner. Pretty goal in the slot roofed a wrist shot (one timer). It was his 10th goal of the season. He also plays an important role defensively on the checking line, hes counted on to finish the games with the lead.

I would like to start ripping all of these prospect highlights and throwing them on youtube for your viewing pleasure. I just haven't been able to find a program that's trustworthy and reliable that can download from the streams I watch. Anybody have any cheap/inexpensive suggestions?
PM me I have some options for you. We can talk about it offline.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:12 AM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:

I think there's a giant leap from Anders Lee to John LeClair. How many 6'3" prospects that showed promise in the NCAA ended up John LeClair or Kevin Stevens or Todd Bertuzzi or Milan Lucic (a more recent, less talented example?)

I project Lee to be Matt Martin with MAYBE more offense. Martin is a year older, big player with strong work ethic, great down low and along the boards. He has shown offensive ability (35 goals in last year in Sarnia and 12 goals in the AHL as a rookie) and is adjusting nicely in a 4th line role on Long Island at 23.

I think you're underestimating the jump from the NCAA to the NHL. It's not like Lee's 18-19 years old, like Tyler Biggs for example.

Even Bob McKenzie, referring to Justin Schultz, said "phenoms don't play in the NCAA until they're 22" to put things into perspective for a player already having massive success in the AHL.

I'm glad you're high on Anders Lee. I've seen him play, he's a good player, a very good NCAA player. He's got the potential to play in the NHL, no doubt about it. Might he emerge to be a LeClair type? Maybe, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Chris Stewart? David Clarkson-type? Jesse Joensuu? Maybe one day.

Quote:

that would be awesome! Good luck.
Screen Toaster, Jing, Record My Screen and CamStudio are my suggestions...haven't seen/used them in a while though.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:42 PM
InformTheMasses

Of course I would not guarantee Lee have the exact career stats of John Leclair. John Leclair doesn't even happen unless everything goes right. But the skills and traits are all there, the potential is there, and if everything goes "right" for Lee, well then there you go. Your point is well taken on 6'3" NCAA players having success there but not in the NHL, I DO understand the jump involved. But there have not been a lot of 6'3" 220 lb players that have the Strength, Speed, and skill that Lee has. And what Lee does at the top of the crease and in the corners and as well as he does it, just has me thinking back to a guy like Leclair, that is all.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:47 PM
Degeneration Rex

Assat beat Karpat 6-3, Ville Pokka was + 2. Interesting to see from a post above he was named
Finland's best player at the World Junior.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:49 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:

I forgot to mention that Ilya Kovalchuk played in this game for St Petersburg, which apparently is a big deal in the Hockey World today, since obviously this game took place after the agreement, leading to all sorts of speculation.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:00 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
That is really funny (and possibly sad) to me. Sounds like you're saying that Isles fans would be less excited about Lee if he had top-6 potential.

I care about Lee in that he's got NHL potential. How much we'll see play out, but I don't want to lose ANY asset in our system for nothing.
Not at all. I recognize that he has top-6 potential, but unlike most of our "top-6" prospects, Lee will have a place on the roster even if that offense doesn't really pan out. If his game translates to the NHL and warrants a spot on one of the top-2 lines, I would let him play on one of the top-2 lines. That said, I just don't see him becoming that type of player. Don't know why everyone is getting so worked up about that, considering him becoming a bottom-6 guy is much more likely than him becoming a top-6 guy. I know everyone always goes crazy over their own prospects, but try to be a little realistic.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:54 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Of course I would not guarantee Lee have the exact career stats of John Leclair. John Leclair doesn't even happen unless everything goes right. But the skills and traits are all there, the potential is there, and if everything goes "right" for Lee, well then there you go. Your point is well taken on 6'3" NCAA players having success there but not in the NHL, I DO understand the jump involved. But there have not been a lot of 6'3" 220 lb players that have the Strength, Speed, and skill that Lee has. And what Lee does at the top of the crease and in the corners and as well as he does it, just has me thinking back to a guy like Leclair, that is all.
I wouldn't say Lee has exceptional speed, his skating isn't great but his staking FOR HIS SIZE is pretty good. What impresses me most about Lee is his hockey sense. Not so much his vision & passing ability (he's not that kind of player) but he's pretty good in that Ryan Smyth go-to-the-net and knows how to position himself to get "ugly" (ie. NHL-type) goals.

He CAN BE a pretty good complementary player in a top six one day - not unlike a Lucic for example. He started playing hockey fairly late, which is why he was drafted so late as well (no doubt) - but he's been very impressive since then.

We shall see what happens with him. I would have liked to see him turn pro this past year, but given the lockout, it was probably a smart move to go back to school. I had posted last year that I felt Lee wasn't going to get any better playing in the NCAA this year, that he was more than ready for the AHL. His stats don't look as good this year, but Notre Dame is much more defensive this year as well (even Tynan has poor numbers compared to last year). From watching the games, Lee looks as impressive as last year.

Russo is more impressive to me, compared to last year. I'm surprised he didn't make the USA team in the WJC but they had a rock-solid defense, so in hindsight, maybe I shouldn't have been disappointed! Russo looks like a pretty good player, still only 19 and I believe the 2nd or 3rd highest PPG for dmen in the NCAA, on a very low scoring and great defensive hockey team that's only lost one game (as I recall)

Old
01-08-2013, 03:08 PM
InformTheMasses

Thanks to Isles Enforcer (also thanks to redbull for some recommendations) I am now able to upload some highlights of Isles prospects in Bridgeport, Juniors, College and overseas. I'll try and do as many as I can as the games are happening, but most will be done same day, or day after game is played.

First one up, Petrovs goal from this morning.... Thanks again guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4Hj5tjNlBg

I am adding more videos like last nights assist by Jesse Graham in the final minutes. I am not going to post all the links in the threads that would be obnoxious. You can subscribe to the channel 'ITM Pucks' and all the videos will be there. I'll probably watch the Guelph game (Pedan) tonight and post anything of note tonight. Probably wont watch Spokane (Kichton) game until tomorrow morning I'll post anything in that game tomorrow.

Last edited by Homeland Security: 01-08-2013 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Embed YT
Old
01-08-2013, 03:39 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Thanks to Isles Enforcer (also thanks to redbull for some recommendations) I am now able to upload some highlights of Isles prospects in Bridgeport, Juniors, College and overseas. I'll try and do as many as I can as the games are happening, but most will be done same day, or day after game is played.

Is there any bigger tease than Petrov? IMO it is almost pointless to talk about him.

Old
01-08-2013, 03:43 PM
seafoam

vCash: 50
Quote:

I like Ak Bars' jerseys...

Old
01-08-2013, 06:17 PM
TheIslesFan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Is there any bigger tease than Petrov? IMO it is almost pointless to talk about him.
He'll be here for the opener in the Barclays Center. Mark my words, sir.

Old
01-08-2013, 07:37 PM
InformTheMasses

Pedan's would be 'assist' gets incorrectly waived off.

Might be hard to tell at this quality, but on my live feed, its in HD, and it's as clear as day that it went off the stick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNy1sn023uc

This Game is now 6-1 Kitchener in the 3rd. Pedan just got tossed for starting a 2nd fight in the same stoppage. (automatic game misconduct in CHL). I am not uploading the 'fight' as it was not a fight, Pedan dropped the gloves but the Ranger did not... no punches thrown.

Last edited by InformTheMasses: 01-08-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Old
01-08-2013, 10:59 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic707 View Post
He'll be here for the opener in the Barclays Center. Mark my words, sir.
I needed a good laugh today. Thanks.

Old
01-09-2013, 05:36 AM
Degeneration Rex

Tuesday

Kitchener 6, Guelph 2-Pedan, -1.
Spokane 4, Seattle 3-Kichton, 1 goal (12), -1.
Minnesota 4, Notre Dame 1-Lee, 1 assist, -1, Russo, even.

Old
01-09-2013, 09:23 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:

I am adding more videos like last nights assist by Jesse Graham in the final minutes. I am not going to post all the links in the threads that would be obnoxious. You can subscribe to the channel 'ITM Pucks' and all the videos will be there. I'll probably watch the Guelph game (Pedan) tonight and post anything of note tonight. Probably wont watch Spokane (Kichton) game until tomorrow morning I'll post anything in that game tomorrow.
Great stuff ITM!

And a great initiative...

Old
01-09-2013, 09:41 AM
original islander

Quote:
It's funny that you brought up Leclair because I was thinking best case scenario for Lee was another ex- Flyer Tim Kerr who didn't hit his stride until he was 23 and I forgot about Leclair. Kerr went the junior route and then to the Flyers. Leclair is definitely a better comparison considering the path Lee is taking. I don't think that it'll work out as well but we can hope.

Old
01-09-2013, 10:02 AM
Degeneration Rex

Both Reinhart and Strome will be going to training camp. This year instead of a 9 game trial,
it's only five games.

Old
01-09-2013, 10:10 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Both Reinhart and Strome will be going to training camp. This year instead of a 9 game trial,
it's only five games.
That makes sense. With the condensed schedule 5 games will probably be played in 10 days or less. With that being the case I see both guys sticking around for a few weeks and completing camp and a 5 game stint.

Old
01-09-2013, 10:12 AM
frankieboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by original islander View Post
It's funny that you brought up Leclair because I was thinking best case scenario for Lee was another ex- Flyer Tim Kerr who didn't hit his stride until he was 23 and I forgot about Leclair. Kerr went the junior route and then to the Flyers. Leclair is definitely a better comparison considering the path Lee is taking. I don't think that it'll work out as well but we can hope.
I am not sure Leclair is a good comparison. Leclair moved like the wind for a big man, really for any player. He was an excellent skater. He might be more of a Tim Kerr, although I don't recall Kerr being a great corner guy...mainly just a great guy in front of the net, so that is where the comparison may be valid. Still, Kerr scored 50+ goals twice, I believe.

Old
01-09-2013, 10:35 AM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
That makes sense. With the condensed schedule 5 games will probably be played in 10 days or less. With that being the case I see both guys sticking around for a few weeks and completing camp and a 5 game stint.
I'm actually curious to see how Reinhart looks against NHLers. Not that I would want him here for a 5 game stint, I just would like to see if he can handle the speed/physicality at this point.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:14 PM
StrongIslanders90

NHL.com has both Strome and Reinhart as chl prospects that might make the club.....

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

Lets hope that If Strome makes it its because hes ready and on a skilled line and I dont see any scenario whee I woud like THE Big Griff on the squad this year...

In the video Strome actually eats up Seth Jones

Closed Thread