Marcus Kankaanpera

Closed Thread

Old
11-27-2003, 07:34 AM
Edler Von Gud

vCash: 1308
Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Marcus Kankaanpera

Just want to check in on the Canucks only Finnish prospect, I have a couple questions. Firstly, how is he doing so far this year? and what type of defenseman is he? Is he improving year to year? or has his development stalled? I hope he's a defensive defenseman because we need someone who clears the crease and hits people on the Canucks.

thanks.

Old
11-28-2003, 01:29 PM
SergeiK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koltsov
Just want to check in on the Canucks only Finnish prospect, I have a couple questions. Firstly, how is he doing so far this year? and what type of defenseman is he? Is he improving year to year? or has his development stalled? I hope he's a defensive defenseman because we need someone who clears the crease and hits people on the Canucks.

thanks.
Markus Kankaaperä`s stats so far are in 26 game 3+3=6 +/- 5 and PM 14. You have to understand that he`s got a defensive role in team that plays very defensively.

So he`s very defensive defenceman. When he was playing with his hometown`s team JYP Jyvaskyla he was a pretty good prospect for SM-liiga, but never quite made it in Jyvaskylä. He made lots of stupid mistakes in his first SM-liiga seasons. So he moved in another clubs to make his breakthrough.

After couple of seasons in another small club HPK Hämeenlinna and the richest team in country Jokerit Helsinki those mistakes don`t happen so often. Now he is a trustworthy defenceman with lots of expierience for his age.

Markus is born in Sweden but only because his father - Ari - was playing hockey there.

Markus has also competed as long distance runner but gave that up when he was seventeen.

Markus is strong, has good positioning, but lacks that bursting speed. Doesn`t make magic with the puck, but he knows it and doesn`t even try to. Very useful in penalty kill. He`s also know to drop his gloves in time to time.

Funny thing happened on this fall in an exhibition game Jokerit against Toronto Maple Leafs when Kankaanperä beat the crap out of Nik Antropov. Kankaanperä isn´t a goon, but will face the heat if challenged.

You should check this guy out and prove Pat Quinn wrong.

Last edited by SergeiK: 11-28-2003 at 01:34 PM.
Old
11-28-2003, 07:24 PM
nazzy

Thanks for the analysis on Markus. From what you said about him, Sami Salo came to my mind. Strong defensively, doesn't have tremendous foot speed but has good positioning. Do you ever think he'll make the NHL? If so, which role would he play? Also, do you know what type of shot he has and how good it is? Thanks again.

Old
11-28-2003, 08:13 PM
Fedz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeiK
Markus Kankaaperä`s stats so far are in 26 game 3+3=6 +/- 5 and PM 14. You have to understand that he`s got a defensive role in team that plays very defensively.

So he`s very defensive defenceman. When he was playing with his hometown`s team JYP Jyvaskyla he was a pretty good prospect for SM-liiga, but never quite made it in Jyvaskylä. He made lots of stupid mistakes in his first SM-liiga seasons. So he moved in another clubs to make his breakthrough.

After couple of seasons in another small club HPK Hämeenlinna and the richest team in country Jokerit Helsinki those mistakes don`t happen so often. Now he is a trustworthy defenceman with lots of expierience for his age.

Markus is born in Sweden but only because his father - Ari - was playing hockey there.

Markus has also competed as long distance runner but gave that up when he was seventeen.

Markus is strong, has good positioning, but lacks that bursting speed. Doesn`t make magic with the puck, but he knows it and doesn`t even try to. Very useful in penalty kill. He`s also know to drop his gloves in time to time.

Funny thing happened on this fall in an exhibition game Jokerit against Toronto Maple Leafs when Kankaanperä beat the crap out of Nik Antropov. Kankaanperä isn´t a goon, but will face the heat if challenged.

You should check this guy out and prove Pat Quinn wrong.

Damn, that sounds like exactly what VAN needs, a big tough, crease clearing dman, that aint afraid to drop the gloves.

Old
11-30-2003, 05:12 AM
SergeiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazzy
Thanks for the analysis on Markus. From what you said about him, Sami Salo came to my mind. Strong defensively, doesn't have tremendous foot speed but has good positioning. Do you ever think he'll make the NHL? If so, which role would he play? Also, do you know what type of shot he has and how good it is? Thanks again.
I´m not very familiar with Sami Salo`s role after he left Ottawa and I`m basing my analysis on world championship games only. With that in mind I would say that Sami Salo`s has a great slapshot and much more skill than Markus. I can`t imagine any use on PP for Markus. I think that Sami Salo and Markus Kankaanperä do not have so much similarities on their play. Markus Kankaanperä is defensive defenceman and one of the toughest in SM-liiga. And I`m not referring to any goon culture (we don`t have that in here), but checking and taking hits.

I don`t know if he`ll ever play on NHL. Sure thing is that he is developed very fast in recent years and I have no reason to believe that it won`t continue. Maybe Vancouver should invite him to training camp and see what`s he made of.

Old
11-30-2003, 11:45 AM
eh

Send a message via ICQ to eh Send a message via MSN to eh Send a message via Yahoo to eh
He has been the #1 defenseman of Jokerit this year, if you look at the icetime. He's playing in every situation, also on the PP where he's used in the front of the net. He's not as gifted offensively as Sami Salo, but he has been making some progress as a puck carrier and blueline threat during the past couple of years. This year he has also been able to cut down on stupid penalties (mostly due to Sami Helenius taking more than his share of them ;)

I don't really know about his future as an NHLer. He has the size and probably also the toughness to be a defensive 5th-7th. On the other hand, Kari Haakana was IMHO a clearly better player of the same mould and he couldn't make it in the NHL. Lack of footspeed probably would be the reason, for both of them. At least Kanki still has time to develop, as he's just 23.

It would be interesting to see him compete for a spot some fall and even more interesting to see him play as much as an exhibition game against the Maple Leafs. ("I didn't travel 3,000 miles with these guys to have (Antropov) wiped out by a guy whose face is never going to be seen (in the NHL)." -Pat Quinn ;)

SergeiK: Jokerit isn't really playing that defensively this year and that 3+3 projects to a thirteen point season which would be pointswise his best so far in SM-liiga.

Old
12-11-2003, 09:10 PM
eh

Send a message via ICQ to eh Send a message via MSN to eh Send a message via Yahoo to eh
A quick update: after being ejected in the game against Lukko on Saturday, Markus has been on fire. He's scored the game winning goal in the last two games; a nice wristshot on overtime against Kärpät on Tuesday and a slapshot from the point in the last minute against Blues on Thursday.

Closed Thread