HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Penguins Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2013, 01:34 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 500
Oh, don't get me wrong. I don't mind the Pens taking chances on guys like him. I'm more begrudging the fact he's playing like a dud rather than a diamond in the rough, not the Pens' mindset behind taking him.

Old
01-07-2013, 07:25 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
I think most people agree with your evaluation here.
But the fact remains that if he doesn't get a spot on the big team right off the bat, we are going to have to deal or waive him.

And as he has not done anything in the NHL yet, we will be lucky to get a Letestu-like return for him. That is no indictment on his skills. It would be absolutely no surprise to me if Strait has a career like Scuderi.
Strait has been battling injury/illness all season long this year. Most recently the flu bug has hit the team so hopefully he is healthy for camp. He just hasn't looked the same this season but they know what he brings when he's healthy. Right now I think Bortuzzo has a spot locked up so I think that last spot is between Strait and Despres. Strait has to go through waivers and Despres doesn't. I don't think they want Despres being the 7th D-man in the press box and Bortuzzo has been WBS best D-man so far this season.

Last edited by bigd: 01-07-2013 at 07:32 AM.
Old
01-07-2013, 01:06 PM
vikingGoalie

My biggest disapointment is Joe Morrow this season. I really was hoping he was going to take the next step. I know that exhibition and training camp are not regular season, however he looked/performed far better in exhibition games last year then he is in the AHL now.

While I didn't expect him to necessarily crack the NHL roster this season. I did expect him come 4 months into his season with WBS to be something of a standout player at the AHL level. Not a defensemen who is a liability (by all accounts) on defense

Old
01-07-2013, 01:48 PM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingGoalie View Post
My biggest disapointment is Joe Morrow this season. I really was hoping he was going to take the next step. I know that exhibition and training camp are not regular season, however he looked/performed far better in exhibition games last year then he is in the AHL now.

While I didn't expect him to necessarily crack the NHL roster this season. I did expect him come 4 months into his season with WBS to be something of a standout player at the AHL level. Not a defensemen who is a liability (by all accounts) on defense
He will be fine. He has all the tools to be a great player. He just needs more time.

Old
01-07-2013, 02:05 PM
Jacob

Quote:

It's important to remember 3 things:

1) AHL is suped-up because of the lockout. 2) Morrow is only 1 year removed from his draft (and others from his class are back in juniors) 3) Morrow is hardly an elite prospect.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:02 AM
vikingGoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
It's important to remember 3 things:

1) AHL is suped-up because of the lockout. 2) Morrow is only 1 year removed from his draft (and others from his class are back in juniors) 3) Morrow is hardly an elite prospect.
the part that makes me is #3.

my blatant homerism was hoping we might have struck gold with Morrow.

Old
01-08-2013, 11:08 AM
Dupree13

Quote:

Maybe even more troubling is that most reviews indicated that Morrow was supposed to be more stout than Pouliot.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:06 PM
UnrealMachine

Quote:

It's way too early to evaluate Morrow. If you are disappointed it's because you had unrealistic expectations regarding Morrow. Let's see how he looks towards the end of the season and see if he has shown improvement. The top/newer prospects tend to get overrated around here while those outside of the top 10 tend to get underrated/dismissed.

Old
01-08-2013, 12:33 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealMachine View Post
It's way too early to evaluate Morrow. If you are disappointed it's because you had unrealistic expectations regarding Morrow. Let's see how he looks towards the end of the season and see if he has shown improvement. The top/newer prospects tend to get overrated around here while those outside of the top 10 tend to get underrated/dismissed.

Totally agree, although I would say, let's see where he's at in year 2 or even year 3 in the AHL. Look at a guy like Slava Voynov. He was always considered a pretty good prospect whose play improved consistently. He spent a full 3 years in the AHL, and even some more time last year before getting called up and being a big part of the Kings regular season and Stanley Cup run.

People definitely get unrealistic expectations about certain guys, and people have to understand each player is individual and has their own trajectory. Joe was a late bloomer, and also a late birthday (meaning he didn't get that extra year as a top guy in the WHL), so he'll need some more time. Philip Samuelsson left school after 2 seasons despite not yet reaching a dominant level, so he's going to need more time.

Just relax and let things take their course and give these guys a lot more time before you judge. As long as the work ethic is their and their off-ice habits & conditioning is there (and Joe's character appears excellent), then there's nothing yet to worry about.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:19 PM
vikingGoalie

i fully admit being a bit of a homer on this. that and maybe being a tad unrealistic on expectations. however I just remember this. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/8...on-impressions

where blysma is raving about him, and not sure how you go from not making an errant pass (quote). To being a defensive liablity for the baby pens.

I know be patient, just saying it's not totally unreasonable expectation wise after that debut to see him not crap the bed in wbs. Which by all accounts seems to be the case thus far.

long winded explanation, yea you guys are right I should be more patient. but it's not totally out of left field to hope for more then what we are seeing right now. I'm not expecting an all star showing, just not being a defensemen who is a defensive liability half way through the season. Especially from a guy who has a high hockey IQ.
I *still* think he will be a top 4 guy, it's just that it will take longer then what my own expectations where (I was expecting him to have a legit shot to crack the lineup next year, and certainly crack it the following year.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:03 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Archibald

Not sure if this was mentioned elsewhere, but Archibald has been named (co) Offensive Player of the Week in the WCHA. A nice little bit of recognition and confidence boost, that will hopefully help him continue to perform at a high level as the season moves forward.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=649537

Old
01-09-2013, 01:31 AM
deakka

Pouliot (who just gpt updated to "week to week"), was back tonight for Portland. HE had an assist and were +2 in a 6-4 win.

Old
01-09-2013, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakka View Post
Pouliot (who just gpt updated to "week to week"), was back tonight for Portland. HE had an assist and were +2 in a 6-4 win.
Good news. Thanks man.

Old
01-09-2013, 08:41 AM
Valarukar

I know I saw it mentioned that Harrington got selected as one of the 3 best on his team at the WJC, but I don't remember seeing Teddy mentioned and he was as well.

http://http://stats.worldjunior2013....00_85J_1_0.pdf

Old
01-09-2013, 12:25 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

We're not likely to call any of them up for camp but the rule this year is 6 games to test out a junior aged player before sending them back.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413134

Old
01-09-2013, 12:39 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
We're not likely to call any of them up for camp but the rule this year is 6 games to test out a junior aged player before sending them back.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413134
Doesn't affect us at all, but I'm glad they did that for the shortened season. Keep the rule proportionate to the schedule length. It goes right back to 10 next season.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
01-09-2013, 08:42 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

With the addition of Justin Sefton, that London Knights defense is going to be that much tougher to play against. Maatta, Harrington, Sefton, Zadorov, Hughes, and Ferry are a pretty sound defensive group.

Old
01-09-2013, 09:08 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

So Zlobin is the next Datsyuk & Morrow is now a bust? Some things never change.

Old
01-09-2013, 10:49 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Interesting update on Bryan Rust who people don't really talk about all that much...

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...-december-2012

Quote:
But the most impressive Penguins prospect during the month was Notre Dame junior Bryan Rust. The Novi, MI native posted five points (two goals, three assists) in the Fighting Irish’s four games in December. Rust’s renewed confidence and vastly improved skating have been keys to not only his success this season, but also to his team’s success. One notable area where Rust has made his mark so far is in scoring timely goals. All five of his goals to date have been on the power-play and/or were game-winners. His most memorable game came back on Dec. 1 versus Lake Superior State. In that contest, Rust tallied a goal and two assists to lead the Fighting Irish to a convincing 6-1 win.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:17 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

It's all about that junior year. There may be hope yet.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:16 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
Interesting update on Bryan Rust who people don't really talk about all that much...

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...-december-2012

Hey, it's always great when someone, at any age or stage in their career, takes things up to another level.

When I last saw Rust, at last summer's WJC camp -- where Bylsma was the head coach and cut Rust on the first round -- there was no one element of his game that stood out and was great, nor did the sum seem much better than the parts. If he has improved certain areas of that game where he now is particularly strong in certain elements of the game, then that's good news for the player, and hopefully he can keep that up, and eventually translate that to WBS as the next step.

But based on what I've seen in the past, unless he gets a Hobey Baker nomination this year or next, he'll probably have to prove that he can be a dominant player at the AHL level for me to get really excited about him as a legit prospect for us.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:25 AM
deakka

Another assist for Pouliot in a 3-0 win.

Ruopp had 2 pointa in a 9-4 win and has not set career high with 11 points this season

Old
01-11-2013, 08:26 AM
Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
Hey, it's always great when someone, at any age or stage in their career, takes things up to another level.

When I last saw Rust, at last summer's WJC camp -- where Bylsma was the head coach and cut Rust on the first round -- there was no one element of his game that stood out and was great, nor did the sum seem much better than the parts. If he has improved certain areas of that game where he now is particularly strong in certain elements of the game, then that's good news for the player, and hopefully he can keep that up, and eventually translate that to WBS as the next step.

But based on what I've seen in the past, unless he gets a Hobey Baker nomination this year or next, he'll probably have to prove that he can be a dominant player at the AHL level for me to get really excited about him as a legit prospect for us.
Since I did not see the WJC camp, I can not speak, but I seem to remember that when he was drafted Rust was considered a third line player at that point because of his instincts. If he already has the mindset of a third liner, any offense he would bring should be considered a plus imo.

Old
01-11-2013, 09:56 AM
Solution

Viellieux is assigned to Wheeling. Most likely to get some conditioning coming back from injury.

http://www.wheelingnailers.com/pages...s/20130111.asp

Old
01-11-2013, 01:50 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solushun View Post
Since I did not see the WJC camp, I can not speak, but I seem to remember that when he was drafted Rust was considered a third line player at that point because of his instincts. If he already has the mindset of a third liner, any offense he would bring should be considered a plus imo.

I have no problem with drafting/developing someone who projects to be a really good 3rd liner, like Chicago did with Danault, for example.

My concern when I saw Rust was that there was no element that stood out: in particular, he had very little physical play or shot blocking, had decent but not great speed, wasn't really creating anything offensively and looked to snub a few chances that he had, and his size is only average or a little below average. In other words, he wasn't really excelling in any of the areas that you would expect him to do for someone who projects to be a good 3rd liner. Nor did he seem to compensate for, say, his lack of size, by increasing his physicality, being more agressive on the forecheck, etc. Overall, he was a little bit passive and didn't seem to create much. He looked like someone who was going to be more of a 4th line tweener or AHLer.

If he has improved areas of his game sufficiently to now project as someone who has more upside, then that is great; although I have not seen him play this season so I cannot accurately comment on this issue.

Closed Thread