HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Luongo Talk: The Final Countdown...?

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2013, 11:44 AM
Barney Gumble

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
So...uh...what happened to that rumor about Luongo being traded for scraps?

As I said, timing is kind of odd from the Leafs POV....I'm guessing the "powers that be" didn't think much of Burkie going into yet ANOTHER season with big question marks in net.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:45 AM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
He'll replace Cherry as HNIC's resident windbag.
That I can actually see happening.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:49 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Because it's blatantly obvious no GM is going to give us a Gardiner or a Bjugstad for Bob and his contract? Either we take the best offer or we roll with two goalies making a combined 10 mil cap hit and keep the 2 or 3 holes on the forward lines.
How blantantly obvious? Because a bunch of fans on an internet message board wont?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Holy hell, I thought this was sarcasm, but on further review I don't think it is
His handle is crazycanuck....probably is crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Have to think Bozak is getting a bit underrated around here. He averaged over 18 minutes a game, killed some penalties, threw more hit than Kesler and would have ranked 2nd in FO% among our regular centres last year. Scored 18 goals and 47 points in 70 some odd games. That's pretty solid 3rd line centre material right there.

At this stage he's far and away the better option for the 3rd line than Jordan Schroeder (who is completley overrated by some Canucks fans).
Pretty solid #'s for a 2nd or 3rd line center, but he played 1st line minutes....

He wouldn't get 18 here, and he also wouldnt have a top level sniper and two ppg linemates here either.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:50 AM
GoTeamDom

If this Bozak+Frattin+1st trade goes thru, you can infer a few things going forward:

- At least one of Lapierre (UFA) or Malholtra (UFA) isn't coming back after this season.
- At least two of Raymond (UFA), Booth, Hansen and Higgins (UFA) isn't coming back after this season.
- Right wing is set for the next few years, with Frattin and Kassian both playing an industrious style that could mesh well with the Sedins. Burrows drops down to play with Kesler and either Frattin/Kassian or Jensen for the foreseeable future.
- Third line, I have no idea what they want to do here. You've got quality wingers at your disposal (two of Raymond, Higgins, Booth, Hansen, Kassian, Jensen, Frattin) and either Schroeder as your 3C or you re-sign one of your UFA centres (Lapierre, Bozak, Malholtra) or dip into free agency or trade for one. This line lacks identity and a competent playmaker any way you slice it. I would like to see a playmaking centre acquired for this line to squeeze as much offense out of these wingers as possible.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:52 AM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

So who gets to drive Burke to the airport?

Old
01-09-2013, 11:53 AM
Pseudonymous

Lapierre isn't going anywhere next year, better not be!

Old
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Playing some of the softest minutes on the 1st line with Kessel and Lupul. Had horrible posession numbers, some of the worst on the Leafs and they got even worse when separated from Kessel and Lupul.

When he was a year older than Schroeder, he had 4 goals in 32 games in the AHL. Blergh. Horrible player that should have no business being anywhere near this team.
"Soft" minutes is HIGHLY subjective. Have you seen Kessel and Lupul back-check? Nope, because they don't. Bozak does all the defensive work on that line. I don't now what "possession numbers" are to be completley honest, but had more takeaways than giveaways anyway. It's not as simple as player A played with player B and should have X points, there is much more to it than that. Someone has to come back and check the point, and that is not Phil Kessel I can assure you. The way I look at it, he won some draws and played defence for Kessel to cherry pick.

Jordan Schroeder is tiny and if he cannot score at a higher clip, will soon be in Europe.

My point was he's a much better fit on our 3rd line than the immensely overrated Jordan Schroeder...

Old
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
So who gets to drive Burke to the airport?
Trent Klatt?

Old
01-09-2013, 11:56 AM
Nuck This

Rumblings it was because he wasn't willing to go to Canucks demands.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:57 AM
I in the Eye

A lot of us were wrong... Not even Luongo could have saved Burke's job...

Old
01-09-2013, 11:59 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Luongo and Raymond for Gardiner or Reilly, Lupul and a 1st rd pick

Old
01-09-2013, 11:59 AM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by I in the Eye View Post
A lot of us were wrong... Not even Luongo could have saved Burke's job...
That might not be true, it could be his unwillingness to acquire him that got him canned...if he made the trade at the draft perhaps he's still employed.

Old
01-09-2013, 12:00 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
Rumblings it was because he wasn't willing to go to Canucks demands.
Boy would that be ironic if true!
If Nonis is in charge we should hurry up and trade an old washed up player for a second round pick before someone else beats us to it.

Old
01-09-2013, 12:01 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
He wouldn't get 18 here, and he also wouldnt have a top level sniper and two ppg linemates here either.
He played 18 minutes a game, right in line with how Vigneault handles his top 3 lines. And Kesler is injured for the forseeable future. He's a better option than Jordan Schroeder for that role, people should be able to see that, otherwise we're really not giving Leafs players any credit at all.

Old
01-09-2013, 12:02 PM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Boy would that be ironic if true!
If Nonis is in charge we should hurry up and trade an old washed up player for a second round pick before someone else beats us to it.
oh how we gave up a chance at PK Subban and Wayne Simmonds for Eric Weinrich, Keith Carney and Brent Sopel.....

Old
01-09-2013, 12:03 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
That might not be true, it could be his unwillingness to acquire him that got him canned...if he made the trade at the draft perhaps he's still employed.
Thats how I look at it.

He's still butt hurt over getting fired from Vancouver and his massive ego and foolish pride got in the way of him making what should have been a no brainer of a trade.

It's not like Gillis had a lot of options as far as trading partners go. I don't think he was asking for a King's ransom... just a deal that worked for both sides.

Old
01-09-2013, 12:05 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
He played 18 minutes a game, right in line with how Vigneault handles his top 3 lines. And Kesler is injured for the forseeable future. He's a better option than Jordan Schroeder for that role, people should be able to see that, otherwise we're really not giving Leafs players any credit at all.
Who else does that leave for Bozak to play with on the 2nd line? A noticeable drop in talent compared to the guys he got a fair chunk of his points with in Toronto. His power play time will certainly get reduced.

Old
01-09-2013, 12:06 PM
PRNuck

Omg no comments from samjam99 yet. I'm not even sure this really happened.

Old
01-09-2013, 12:06 PM
Jarko2004

Don't know if I want him running my team, but Burke is an entertaining character and I think a basically good human being. I hope he is involved somehow. For entertainment content, we need more Burkes and less Bettmans (both of whom drive teams into the ground in their own ways).

Old
01-09-2013, 12:08 PM
I in the Eye

Quote:
It could definitely be his unwillingness to acquire Luongo that got him canned... and in doing so, not even Luongo could have saved him... As not even Luongo could have saved Burke from himself...

Old
01-09-2013, 12:08 PM
windflare

Mark Spector Sports ‏@SportsnetSpec

Sounds like Burke did NOT want to make Luongo deal, while many in Leafs org did. Burke a principled man.

Oh boy...

Old
01-09-2013, 12:09 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
Thats how I look at it.

He's still butt hurt over getting fired from Vancouver and his massive ego and foolish pride got in the way of him making what should have been a no brainer of a trade.

It's not like Gillis had a lot of options as far as trading partners go. I don't think he was asking for a King's ransom... just a deal that worked for both sides.
Never know...his ego knows no bounds. To me I think Burke wanted to extend his 5 year plan into a 7-8 year plan and owners had no intention of waiting that long to watch some playoff games.

Old
01-09-2013, 12:09 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
I'm wondering if Burke was playing hardball with Gillis and not acquiring Luongo or not having a deal in place for him is what got him fired? If that's the case, expect Gillis to rob Nonis blind. Gardiner, Frattin and a 1st round pick for Luongo.

Old
01-09-2013, 12:10 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Why WOULD Burke want Luongo anyways, why he has Reimer and Scrivens!!! We all know he has a great track record evaluating goaltending talent. Worlds greatest GM ladies and gentleman.

Old
01-09-2013, 12:10 PM
Hodgy

Sources also suggest that this was not related to anything on ice (i.e., Luongo).

Greg Wyshynski ‏@wyshynski
"There must be more to this Burke firing" = "We've all heard rumors about Burke we can't report and we'll just assume they're true now."

Closed Thread