HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Possible cheap partial solution to defense

Old
01-08-2013, 07:21 PM
rban*

vCash: 500
Possible cheap partial solution to defense

Nobody knows why he left the NHL or whether he could be coaxed back, but this guy would be a good offensive Dman:

http://mapleleafshotstove.com/2012/1...f-paul-ranger/

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:27 PM
nuclear reactor

Bryz is our fruitcake, no need for more.

nuclear reactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:26 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
He has the mobility for Lavy's system and from that article he seems to be in game shape. Would be worth a try out for sure. I think working with a true professional like Kimmo would be good for him too.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:38 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Homer's gonna make a move. were stocked enough to package a deal worth a top tenner in the league and you know its a comin between now and april.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:44 PM
FlyersFan61290

I would give him a shot. Problem is when everyone gets healthy we'll end up with like 12 NHL d-men. The real problem is actually that more then half will be bottom pairing guys.

Going forward I would love to draft some d in the high rounds if possible and trade for someone like Rundblad.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:52 PM
King Forsberg
16 21 28 44 68 88 93

vCash: 200
Count me in for the "Homer is gonna do something big" group. You don't go that hard after Weber, Suter, Parise and even Nash then be content with nothing.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 08:56 PM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

i also believe homer will do something. i even think he might do something really quick and surprise everyone. quick as in as soon as trades are allowed. maybe the reason foster was signed was to plug him into the bottom paring because someone is on the move?

maybe edler, kulikov or subban. preferably kulikov.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:24 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingForsberg View Post
Count me in for the "Homer is gonna do something big" group. You don't go that hard after Weber, Suter, Parise and even Nash then be content with nothing.
Those are top players and those type of caliber of players aren't available often. I personally don't see him doing much more this season.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:42 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 625
The list of teams with bona fide #1 defensemen available is pretty short. There's a reason why Holmgren bid against himself to get Pronger.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:48 PM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
The list of teams with bona fide #1 defensemen available is pretty short. There's a reason why Holmgren bid against himself to get Pronger.
maybe not necessarily a bonafide #1. I'm thinking more like a guy like Kulikov. Who may become a #1 type guy down the road. maybe not a norris candidate or an elite top flight defenseman but still potentially a #1 nonetheless

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:54 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
maybe not necessarily a bonafide #1. I'm thinking more like a guy like Kulikov. Who may become a #1 type guy down the road. maybe not a norris candidate or an elite top flight defenseman but still potentially a #1 nonetheless
There's going to be rebuilding of the defense upcoming, the problem is the Flyers have been terrible at developing defensemen from the farm, so they might be forced to overvalue other teams' old news.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 09:29 AM
rban*

The thing is, all you need is one top flight Dmen. When Boston won, other than Chara not a single dman was really that impressive. Really, other than Chara, which Bruin Dman was significantly superior to the likes of Meszaros, Grossman, Coburn, even Schenn? Boynton? Ference? Dont think so...

Same thing with LA Kings. Doughty is great, but after him? STEEP dropoff in talent. Willie Mitchell? Gill ? Big deal.

In some ways building a Cup winning d corps has become easier recently, In 2001 Colorado boasted three superstar dmen, Bourque, Blake and possbly Foote.

WE JUST NEED one. C'mon Philly, please just get one guy! One superstar dman.
Please!

I fully understand and appreciate why they went so hard after Weber.Some people complained at the time and said:

'OK he's really good, but can one guy make that much difference'.

Well, yes he can these days. In 2001 just having a Rob Blake without a Bourque to back him up would not have been enough. These days, seems it is quite enough! Instead of having a Bourque backing up a Blake, a Luke Schenn or Mesazaros backing up a Weber seems like enough.

Old
01-09-2013, 10:13 AM
flyersfan187

Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
The thing is, all you need is one top flight Dmen. When Boston won, other than Chara not a single dman was really that impressive. Really, other than Chara, which Bruin Dman was significantly superior to the likes of Meszaros, Grossman, Coburn, even Schenn? Boynton? Ference? Dont think so...

Same thing with LA Kings. Doughty is great, but after him? STEEP dropoff in talent. Willie Mitchell? Gill ? Big deal.

In some ways building a Cup winning d corps has become easier recently, In 2001 Colorado boasted three superstar dmen, Bourque, Blake and possbly Foote.

WE JUST NEED one. C'mon Philly, please just get one guy! One superstar dman.
Please!

I fully understand and appreciate why they went so hard after Weber.Some people complained at the time and said:

'OK he's really good, but can one guy make that much difference'.

Well, yes he can these days. In 2001 just having a Rob Blake without a Bourque to back him up would not have been enough. These days, seems it is quite enough! Instead of having a Bourque backing up a Blake, a Luke Schenn or Mesazaros backing up a Weber seems like enough.
Both Boston and LA had D's that played some pretty great defense. And Willie Mitchell? I'd love to have him on this team. Hockey is a team sport.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:01 AM
4thline4life
The Mased God

If we're making a move for a #1, who do we give up without hurting the forward depth? The weber OS was nice because we didn't lose any roster players.

4thline4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:09 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIceman26 View Post
If we're making a move for a #1, who do we give up without hurting the forward depth? The weber OS was nice because we didn't lose any roster players.
Subban and Kulikov are currently RFA.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:18 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
Mitchell and Scuderi (your 'Gill') are the kind of defenseman that you need to win championships. The only 'STEEP' drop off is in offensive ability; Mitchell and Scuderi both outclass Doughty defensively.

01-09-2013, 12:26 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Subban and Kulikov are currently RFA.
Prepared to offer 8mil+? Otherwise, you are not scaring off the Canadians or panthers

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:27 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Mitchell and Scuderi (your 'Gill') are the kind of defenseman that you need to win championships. The only 'STEEP' drop off is in offensive ability; Mitchell and Scuderi both outclass Doughty defensively.
Yup.

Alot of our future hope is that Luke Schenn becomes the player he can be.

Old
01-09-2013, 12:46 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
Prepared to offer 8mil+? Otherwise, you are not scaring off the Canadians or panthers
I think that's probably truer for Subban than Kulikov.

Do you think FLA could / would pay Kulikov $6 million. (I'm not saying he's worth that, or that I would want the Flyers to do it, but I don't think you need to get to highest-paid D in the league territory either).

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:52 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

I'd love to see a big move. I could part with some of our forwards and picks if it meant bringing in that blue line horse.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 01:35 PM
Slowbro

subban @ $8m

hahahah

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 02:03 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
I think that's probably truer for Subban than Kulikov.

Do you think FLA could / would pay Kulikov $6 million. (I'm not saying he's worth that, or that I would want the Flyers to do it, but I don't think you need to get to highest-paid D in the league territory either).
Yes. I absolutely think FLA will not let their premium asset walk for anything under 6. (1st,2nd,3rd in one draft comp is nothing to me). And no, I don't want to pay either guy this.

Much like we won't be just letting giroux, Schenn, or Couts go
For anything under 6 either. I dont want to pay Schenn or Couts that...but if you want to poach an RFA you cannot play around. If someone wants them, they are going I have to pay...because
I'm 99 sure we will match, and deal with it. This is why home should lock them up before they hit RFA.

With the new system, we can't offer 5mil per for 15 years (player stability = incentive) to keep our cap low (team incentive).

Old
01-10-2013, 09:11 AM
rban*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Mitchell and Scuderi wer both deemed so superfluous they were practically thrown away by Nucks and Pens. How good are they, really??

OK let's get specific. How much better are Mitchell are Scuderi than Schenn and Grossman?

All four seem to slot into the same category and skill level: defensively responsible stay at home guys .

The only difference being the first two get to play with superstar Doughty (not saying they play on the same pairing, but on the same team), while our two get to play with Meszaros and Coburn.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:13 AM
rban*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
I'd love to see a big move. I could part with some of our forwards and picks if it meant bringing in that blue line horse.
Hopefully we wouldnt have to part with forwards. A combo of picks and defensemen would be preferable IF we are able to bring in a star dman.

Old
01-10-2013, 10:32 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
Yup.

Alot of our future hope is that Luke Schenn becomes the player he can be.
This. Will Schenn develop into a top pairing defenseman? We'll see.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote