HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If one player can be bought out...

Old
01-06-2013, 05:02 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0034 View Post
Bleacher Report posted their most likely to be bought out:

Scott Gomez
Mike Cammalleri
Shawn Horcoff
Jay Bouwmeester
Ville Leino
Keith Ballard
Tuomo Ruutu
Alex Ovechkin (this is why I take nothing BR says seriously)
Roberto Luongo
Rick DiPietro
So much can change before the offseason, but the idea Ovechkin would be bought out is a damn joke. They could still trade him if they wished, which I'm fairly certain they do not wish to do.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:31 PM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
So much can change before the offseason, but the idea Ovechkin would be bought out is a damn joke. They could still trade him if they wished, which I'm fairly certain they do not wish to do.
Then again, Kevin Paul Dupont‏@GlobeKPD
"Mega contracts like Ovechkin, DiPietro, Kovalchuk, et al now look like '86 Cadillacs in the used Euro car lot. Each 5 mpg."

Depends if Ovechkins play drops off even more or picks up.

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:37 PM
Vito_81

LOL yeah right.

Buying out Ovechkin...

I'm sure there's a rule against buying a guy out just to turn around and re-sign him for less. Therefore, buying out Ovechkin ends his time in Washington with nothing coming back in return but dead cap space!

There is no way anyone burns cap space AND throws away a very good player with significant value around the league with nothing in return just to save some money.

Same goes for Cammalleri.

Absolutely a terrible idea.

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:38 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob582 View Post
Then again, Kevin Paul Dupont‏@GlobeKPD
"Mega contracts like Ovechkin, DiPietro, Kovalchuk, et al now look like '86 Cadillacs in the used Euro car lot. Each 5 mpg."

Depends if Ovechkins play drops off even more or picks up.
I'm expecting a resurgence with Oates as his new coach.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:39 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito_81 View Post
LOL yeah right.

Buying out Ovechkin...

I'm sure there's a rule against buying a guy out just to turn around and re-sign him for less. Therefore, buying out Ovechkin ends his time in Washington with nothing coming back in return but dead cap space!

There is no way anyone burns cap space AND throws away a very good player with significant value around the league with nothing in return just to save some money.

What dead cap space?

These would be compliance buyouts so they won't count against the cap.

Old
01-06-2013, 05:42 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito_81 View Post
LOL yeah right.

Buying out Ovechkin...

the amnesty buyout doesn't create dead cap space

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:48 PM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
will you be able to buy out a player, and re-sign them?
Is it like the NBA?
In the NBA the players enter into a bidding pool of teams under the salary cap. Highest bidder is awarded the player.

Or is it like the NHL's 2005 CBA? The CBA called for a six-day window where teams were permitted to terminate and buy out player contracts, otherwise known as compliance buyouts.
Under the rules detailed in Article 50 of the CBA:
Players could be bought out for two-thirds of their remaining salary
Money owed to the player had to be paid out over the remaining length of the terminated contract
Players could not re-sign with the original team until after the 2005-06 season
Compliance buyouts did not count against the team’s salary cap, nor did they count against the total player compensation for that year (Mike Colligan, THW)

Old
01-07-2013, 01:45 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

A gift from above has given us a chance to get the Leino contract off of the planet after this year. Thank you!

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:23 AM
Imlach a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
A gift from above has given us a chance to get the Leino contract off of the planet after this year. Thank you!
Does this mean we have to thank Fehr and Bettmen for forcing a lockout with an amnesty buyout?

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:26 AM
Jacob582

If asked, look for Regier to be silent about compliance buyouts or state they won't plan to buy anyone out. Don't want any players giving up before this summer.

Old
01-07-2013, 06:39 AM
Clock

I still want to see what Leino can do this season.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:17 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
I expect Buffalo to use one on Leino this summer, be active in the UFA pool, and save one for next summer as well. Depending on how the roster is shaking out, he could choose to burn another one or even gain an extra draft pick/player by aquiring a bad contract and buying it out.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:54 PM
zbubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
For instance, if Buffalo bought out Ehrhoff after this year, paying him the remainder of what he's owed ($22m) for the tenure of his current deal, and they then re-signed him for 5yrs/$5m ($1m cap). Teams could then significantly reduce the overall cap hit given to their long-term contracts, and the players get a bit more money over the life of their deal in exchange for the organization removing the noose around its neck that will be those long-term deals.

Oh man, I can just see Bettman's face the first time one team did this and then several followed suit.
Why would Ehrhoff as a free agent, resign for 5 yrs/ 5 million after being bought out? Certainly there are teams that would offer him way more money than that. The players didn't just go through a lockout for ****zngiggles, they're in it for the money.

zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 06:26 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Exactly. 1/6th of his contract has been played. By the end of this shortened season, 1/3rd. After seeing what he can or can't do, we'll have a good handle on what to do with him instead of knee jerk shortsighted reactions.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:00 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Same.

Screaming fo him to be gone after one season is folly.

SackTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:30 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbubble View Post
Why would Ehrhoff as a free agent, resign for 5 yrs/ 5 million after being bought out? Certainly there are teams that would offer him way more money than that. The players didn't just go through a lockout for ****zngiggles, they're in it for the money.
It'd be assuming he reached a pre-accord buyout with the organization. In exchange for the Sabres paying him the remainder of his contract in full during summer 2013, he gets an additional $5m for no good reason at all--actually $8m, because Years 8-10 are gone, and he already got the $3m for those years--and the Sabres get out from under any recapture implications if they made their way into the CBA. If Ehrhoff says no, the Sabres say fine, and he doesn't get the extra $8m.

I suppose this could violate the CBA. Some may argue that this is cap circumvention--it most definitely is. Second, there may be rules against re-signing your own compliance buyout. I'd hope the NHL could anticipate such moves happening, and have written rules prohibiting it from happening. Finally, it would probably violate any rules prohibiting teams from negotiating new contracts with more than one year remaining on them.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:40 AM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

vCash: 200
I heard there are no buyouts till next year ? 2013-14 season, is that right ?

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 05:57 AM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
It'd be assuming he reached a pre-accord buyout with the organization. In exchange for the Sabres paying him the remainder of his contract in full during summer 2013, he gets an additional $5m for no good reason at all--actually $8m, because Years 8-10 are gone, and he already got the $3m for those years--and the Sabres get out from under any recapture implications if they made their way into the CBA. If Ehrhoff says no, the Sabres say fine, and he doesn't get the extra $8m.

I suppose this could violate the CBA. Some may argue that this is cap circumvention--it most definitely is. Second, there may be rules against re-signing your own compliance buyout. I'd hope the NHL could anticipate such moves happening, and have written rules prohibiting it from happening. Finally, it would probably violate any rules prohibiting teams from negotiating new contracts with more than one year remaining on them.
You are right Zip.

Per LeBrun:
"any player bought out under these circumstances CANNOT be re-acquired by that same team during the upcoming season, not by waivers, not by trade and not by free-agent signing."

Old
01-08-2013, 05:59 AM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
I heard there are no buyouts till next year ? 2013-14 season, is that right ?
"Teams will be allowed up to two buyouts over the next two summers -- 2013 and 2014 -- either one in each summer or two in one summer and none in the other."
(LeBrun)

I thought last time there was a 6 day window - or is that the NBA?

Interesting if they can buyout anytime during the summer (after free agency). I don't see the Sabres buying out Leino unless they get a forward they covet on July1 and/or he regresses even more this season.

Last edited by Jacob582: 01-08-2013 at 06:07 AM.
Old
01-08-2013, 06:21 AM
heartsabres*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob582 View Post
"Teams will be allowed up to two buyouts over the next two summers -- 2013 and 2014 -- either one in each summer or two in one summer and none in the other."
(LeBrun)

I thought last time there was a 6 day window - or is that the NBA?

Interesting if they can buyout anytime during the summer (after free agency). I don't see the Sabres buying out Leino unless they get a forward they covet on July1 and/or he regresses even more this season.
Loophole, sign Iginla to a two year deal at say $12,000,000. Tell the play you are going to buy him out after one year deal thus only taking a $6m cap hit and paying him 12m for the one year. Yes it is unlikely and will only work for next year.

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 07:25 AM
punkr0x

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
Loophole, sign Iginla to a two year deal at say $12,000,000. Tell the play you are going to buy him out after one year deal thus only taking a $6m cap hit and paying him 12m for the one year. Yes it is unlikely and will only work for next year.
There must be a condition in there saying you can only buy out players signed before the new CBA was approved. Easy fix.

punkr0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 10:06 AM
Blitz
GONNA TAKE ReinHART

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Exactly. 1/6th of his contract has been played. By the end of this shortened season, 1/3rd. After seeing what he can or can't do, we'll have a good handle on what to do with him instead of knee jerk shortsighted reactions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Same.

Screaming fo him to be gone after one season is folly.
It makes sense to give him another year to show what he can do... After this season, however he is going to have to outplay Grigs, Armia & Zemgus to keep his job going forward... not impossible, but kinda unlikely.

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 10:39 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
It makes sense to give him another year to show what he can do... After this season, however he is going to have to outplay Grigs, Armia & Zemgus to keep his job going forward... not impossible, but kinda unlikely.
You're assuming an awful lot in thinking young inexperienced rookies will outplay an experienced NHLer. I'm not saying it will or won't happen. It's just a pretty inflated assumption.

If anything, the one player to hurt Leino's chances of coming back next season is Leino. Not a rookie.

It is quite possible, two or three of Armia, Grigs and Girgs won't even make the big club full time next season.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:32 PM
Blitz
GONNA TAKE ReinHART

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
You're assuming an awful lot in thinking young inexperienced rookies will outplay an experienced NHLer. I'm not saying it will or won't happen. It's just a pretty inflated assumption.

If anything, the one player to hurt Leino's chances of coming back next season is Leino. Not a rookie.

It is quite possible, two or three of Armia, Grigs and Girgs won't even make the big club full time next season.
Were you watching Ville Leino last year? Are you telling me Grigorenko, Joel or Girgs couldn't produce the same dismal results Ville did in 2011/2012? Not to mention they could do it at a fraction of the cap hit/price.

Should Leino return to his old form, then I will agree with you wholeheartedly, but a repeated down-year will cost him his roster spot to one of the aforementioned rookies.

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:34 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
Were you watching Ville Leino last year? Are you telling me Grigorenko, Joel or Girgs couldn't produce the same dismal results Ville did in 2011/2012? Not to mention they could do it at a fraction of the cap hit/price.

Should Leino return to his old form, then I will agree with you wholeheartedly, but a repeated down-year will cost him his roster spot to one of the aforementioned rookies.
Thats why he said the following in his previous post

You're in agreement.