HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Around the NHL part 4: season's starting, so let's mock everyone else

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-09-2013, 12:15 PM
  #351
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov
 
Anton Dubinchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 9,554
vCash: 807
Can anyone here elaborate on this cap punishment thing? I THINK I get it, but someone on Twitter was playing out a scenario where Weber's contract could potentially carry a cap hit of like $32 million in 2020-2021, or something, and I would love to know the math that goes behind that!

Also, if anyone understands the new "trade half of a contract" thing better than I do, please explain. Seems like an awesome idea but I don't think I quite fully understand it yet...

Anton Dubinchuk is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 12:18 PM
  #352
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high
 
Blueline Bomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 21,533
vCash: 500
This is why I can't stay away from hockey. It's not just the events on the ice. Most of the time, the events off the ice are even better.

Got to believe it's got something to do with Luongo, but what exactly is up in the air.

- Did he lose Luongo to another team (Florida?) and got canned for it?
- Did he want to give up too much for Luongo and his ownership said no?
- Or vise-versa, did the ownership want to give up too much and he pulled the "I'm the GM" card?

Very odd

Blueline Bomber is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 12:24 PM
  #353
Brock Anton
Deal with it.
 
Brock Anton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Westerly, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 12,292
vCash: 500
This is awesome.

Brock Anton is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 12:35 PM
  #354
Chrispy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 971
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
Can anyone here elaborate on this cap punishment thing? I THINK I get it, but someone on Twitter was playing out a scenario where Weber's contract could potentially carry a cap hit of like $32 million in 2020-2021, or something, and I would love to know the math that goes behind that!

Also, if anyone understands the new "trade half of a contract" thing better than I do, please explain. Seems like an awesome idea but I don't think I quite fully understand it yet...
Puck Daddy talks about the cap punishment here. My understanding is that if a team gets a benefit in cap space from a 7+ year contract and the player retires before the end of the contract, all that cap "savings" is applied to the remaining time on the contract.

Nashville saves almost $33 million in cap space vs what they actually pay Weber over the first 6 seasons of the contract. But the earlier Weber retires, the more that penalty is spread out. The penalty is spread across the remaining seasons on the contract. If Weber retires in 2025, the Predators take a cap hit of $7.857 million in the 2025-26 season.

Also, each year Weber plays for a lower salary than his cap hit decreases the penalty, as it's taken as how much he was paid vs the cap hit over the time he played.

None of these rules will affect the Jordan Staal contract, which is a flat $6 million per year for 10 years with no deviation.

Chrispy is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 12:40 PM
  #355
Yes We Cam
$6.3 million backup
 
Yes We Cam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Anton View Post
This is awesome.
Based on the comments of this thread, I thought that Luongo to Florida was a done deal. In actuality, The leafs fired Burke and will likely retain trading for Luongo. Man, am I relieved.

Yes We Cam is online now  
Old
01-09-2013, 12:44 PM
  #356
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall
 
halleJOKEL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NC
Country: United States
Posts: 4,610
vCash: 500
Nonis is Leaf's GM now.

halleJOKEL is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 12:46 PM
  #357
Brock Anton
Deal with it.
 
Brock Anton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Westerly, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 12,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dins View Post
Nonis is Leaf's GM now.
Kessel, Gardiner, Rielly + 1st for Luongo.

Brock Anton is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 12:51 PM
  #358
Yes We Cam
$6.3 million backup
 
Yes We Cam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Anton View Post
Kessel, Gardiner, Rielly + 1st for Luongo.
I don't think 1st round picks are anybodys interest at this point.

Yes We Cam is online now  
Old
01-09-2013, 12:52 PM
  #359
Oenatzu
Chad-in-the-Box
 
Oenatzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dins View Post
Nonis is Leaf's GM now.
Wasn't Nonis the GM who brought Luongo to Vancouver?

Oenatzu is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 12:55 PM
  #360
TheBigKahuna
Registered User
 
TheBigKahuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canes Country
Posts: 2,774
vCash: 500
Ouch.....

Bret Hedican ‏@BretHedican
Woe, Brian Burke got fired today. Wonder if that felt as bad as when he traded me from Vancouver.

TheBigKahuna is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 01:26 PM
  #361
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev
 
DaveG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Durham NC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,722
vCash: 1832
Quote:
Originally Posted by PublicEnemy View Post
I'm not sure I understand this one too well.


Why fire your GM just before the start of training camp in a lockout-shortened season?
They should have fired him right after the draft... The 2011 draft.

DaveG is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 02:13 PM
  #362
WWAD
Registered User
 
WWAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 890
vCash: 500
The #1 comment on the TSN article earlier was "This is a huge blow to the Bruins organization".

WWAD is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 02:29 PM
  #363
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov
 
Anton Dubinchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 9,554
vCash: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
Puck Daddy talks about the cap punishment here. My understanding is that if a team gets a benefit in cap space from a 7+ year contract and the player retires before the end of the contract, all that cap "savings" is applied to the remaining time on the contract.

Nashville saves almost $33 million in cap space vs what they actually pay Weber over the first 6 seasons of the contract. But the earlier Weber retires, the more that penalty is spread out. The penalty is spread across the remaining seasons on the contract. If Weber retires in 2025, the Predators take a cap hit of $7.857 million in the 2025-26 season.

Also, each year Weber plays for a lower salary than his cap hit decreases the penalty, as it's taken as how much he was paid vs the cap hit over the time he played.

None of these rules will affect the Jordan Staal contract, which is a flat $6 million per year for 10 years with no deviation.
Wow, that should NOT count for contracts signed on the last CBA. This is ridiculous. Totally makes sense for contracts going forward, but as far as penalizing teams this drastically, that's a little much. Teams that were otherwise drafting up contracts entirely within the rules of the game are now basically ALL stuck with Gomez-like contracts. That's brutal.

Basically all the Canucks can do now is trade Luongo and hope he's playing in Toronto until he's 50. Screws them over for team building as well, having ANOTHER team's player considering retirement have a drastic impact on YOUR salary cap. I think whoever wrote this rule was a little more shortsighted than they'd care to admit.

Anton Dubinchuk is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 02:48 PM
  #364
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 31,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
Wow, that should NOT count for contracts signed on the last CBA. This is ridiculous. Totally makes sense for contracts going forward, but as far as penalizing teams this drastically, that's a little much. Teams that were otherwise drafting up contracts entirely within the rules of the game are now basically ALL stuck with Gomez-like contracts. That's brutal.
I can only imagine how Preds fans feel about that rule.

tarheelhockey is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 03:21 PM
  #365
Boom Boom Anton
Registered User
 
Boom Boom Anton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I can only imagine how Preds fans feel about that rule.
True, knowing they were basically "forced" into that contract for Weber. Although given Weber is only 27, the CBA will probably expire before he (and Suter/Parise) retires and who knows what will happen in the next CBA.

Boom Boom Anton is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 02:25 PM
  #366
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high
 
Blueline Bomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 21,533
vCash: 500
So I know a lot of teams are doing things to show "Fan Appreciation" for sticking it out during the lockout. Haven't heard anything from the Canes though. Did I miss it or have they not announced it?

Blueline Bomber is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 02:42 PM
  #367
Boom Boom Anton
Registered User
 
Boom Boom Anton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
So I know a lot of teams are doing things to show "Fan Appreciation" for sticking it out during the lockout. Haven't heard anything from the Canes though. Did I miss it or have they not announced it?
I haven't heard anything yet. Rutherford did mention in his press conf. that they realize they need to do a lot of work to bring the fans back and have their marketing team working on it now, so I suspect there will be something in the near future.

Boom Boom Anton is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 02:46 PM
  #368
wallym
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,924
vCash: 615
10 dollar seats for 1/3rd the upper bowl was a nice preemptive fan friendly move.

wallym is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 03:20 PM
  #369
Novacane
My Hero
 
Novacane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 17,716
vCash: 500
One thing I hope they DON'T do is take people with mini packages (For my family the weekend 12 game package) and force them into weekday games. It completely ruins the point of what you bought. But I wouldn't be surprised if they did that in order to fill up every seat possible.

Novacane is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 03:38 PM
  #370
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high
 
Blueline Bomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 21,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
I haven't heard anything yet. Rutherford did mention in his press conf. that they realize they need to do a lot of work to bring the fans back and have their marketing team working on it now, so I suspect there will be something in the near future.
I know they're hiring a new marketing person for Fan Promotions and such.

Blueline Bomber is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 03:51 PM
  #371
Boom Boom Anton
Registered User
 
Boom Boom Anton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,179
vCash: 500
The best thing they could do right now to thank the fans and bring them back, is start making the playoffs on a consistent basis.

Boom Boom Anton is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 03:55 PM
  #372
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall
 
halleJOKEL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NC
Country: United States
Posts: 4,610
vCash: 500
Come out of the gate like they did in 2005 and they will be literally covered in fans.

halleJOKEL is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 04:05 PM
  #373
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev
 
DaveG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Durham NC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,722
vCash: 1832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
The best thing they could do right now to thank the fans and bring them back, is start making the playoffs on a consistent basis.
Bingo. Competitive hockey here will always do well. Make the playoffs, and even win a round, the people that jumped off will be right back on the bandwagon. Only ones that might not are those that are/have been in a position that's directly affected by this lockout.

DaveG is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 04:10 PM
  #374
Lazyking
Never Forget
 
Lazyking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 3,585
vCash: 500
I know it's a shortened season but I expect the Canes to make the playoffs.. I know I probably shouldn't but it would be a major disappointment. I don't live down there but I think the fanbase will be fine if it's winning..Even last year, it wasn't that bad.. marquee games will still draw and the place will be rocking.. like the Canucks game from last year.

Lazyking is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 04:20 PM
  #375
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?
 
Finlandia WOAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Raleigh NC
Country: United States
Posts: 8,978
vCash: 500
I don't know about you guys, but I'm excited about the Bruins-'Canes series this year. After we stuck it to them for the first time in franchise history (and in a manner of hilarious ways, including having their entire starting lineup in the penalty box), the Bruins will be back for blood.

Especially if we meet in the playoffs again. That would be fun.

Finlandia WOAT is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.