HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bring one of Iginla, Perry, Ryan to Pittsburgh

Old
01-09-2013, 09:19 AM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
I didn't think you were joking but it was hilarious either way.

Flames are not in this desperate situation that HFBoards makes them out to be in. Certainly not desperate enough to trade the face of the franchise and arguably the most iconic player to ever wear the 'C'. The greatest captain in franchise history. The Flames won't trade Iginla for the same reason that Phoenix won't trade Doan and Ottawa won't trade Alfie. There's way too much sentimentality involved, especially for a late first round pick like Maatta.

Look at how Flames prospects performed at the WJC's. It surprised most people but it didn't surprise us, because we actually follow the Flames prospects. Next year I can see one of Culkin or Kulak being this year's Wotherspoon. These are two more really good guys that no one knows about. Point is, Calgary's recent draft history has shown that they can slowly but steadily right the ship without blowing the whole thing up.
If Iginla wants a championship he will be moved at the deadline.

There's a difference between being in dire straits and needing to blow things up than being a bubble team that needs to keep getting younger and project success in the near future.

The reality is that this is a business, there aren't many players who deserve a cup more than Iggy, and unless you've spoken to him about it on a personal level you have no idea what he is thinking.

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 09:34 AM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBandwagonerNo272 View Post
If Iginla wants a championship he will be moved at the deadline.

There's a difference between being in dire straits and needing to blow things up than being a bubble team that needs to keep getting younger and project success in the near future.

The reality is that this is a business, there aren't many players who deserve a cup more than Iggy, and unless you've spoken to him about it on a personal level you have no idea what he is thinking.
Well I know people that have spoken to him, I know that he enjoys being a fixture in the community, that he loves his city, and most importantly his family is more important to him than winning a Stanley Cup. His family is deeply rooted in the city and he's content here. He's not going to uproot them to go join the Penguins, especially not while Calgary is still a competitive team (which they are).

Iginla is 35, he can play until he's 40. A lot can change in 5 years. Ask any of the recent Stanley Cup winners that and they'll tell you.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 09:44 AM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

vCash: 450
He can always move home when he retires, live there in the off-season, or even sign back in Calgary after making a run this season.

The Flames are competitive. They aren't contenders right now.

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 09:49 AM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 1081
It's too early to tell. The Flames were night and day better last year after dumping Bourque and getting Cammalleri; they shot themselves in the foot in the first half but made a valiant playoff push in the second half. Since then many more changes have been made; a new coach, new roster players, blue chip rookie... one can prejudge the signings all they want but we have to wait and see. It's very premature to say how this year's Flames team will do.

Also no one cried for Doan or Alfredsson to get traded when their teams sucked. It's funny how everyone wants to see Iginla ripped from his team but those two guys get a pass.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 10:02 AM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspirine View Post
LOL! If anything, Määtä does not fetch you Iginla alone.
Agreed and not a Perry or Ryan. Even if Perry was unsigned.

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 10:31 AM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Wow the Maata for Iginla suggestion is 10x worse that typical Leafs trade suggestions, and I would know, I'm one of those Leafs fans that does it.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 10:42 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Don't understand why the Flames wouldnt move Iginla. Yes, I understand he's been with the team since he began his career, but it's a business and the Flames should be doing what's best for the team. You guys need to rebuild and will get a premium for him at the deadline

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:00 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspirine View Post
LOL! If anything, Määtä does not fetch you Iginla alone.
I didn't say it would. Beside's I was responding to the original poster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBenSF View Post
If I'm offered Iginla for Maatta, I'm taking it in a second. Much rather take a guy who already has chemistry with Crosby over someone like Ryan every day, not to mention that Ryan costs much more in value than Iginla.
Playing for Canada doesn't mean to has chemistry already but it does mean it would probably work. However, our D needs improvements and the depth we have right now is the path that we'll take to improve it. Majority of our D prospects will play in the NHL.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:10 AM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
There's no way in hell we'd give up a highly touted prospect like Maatta for someone who is approaching his final years, for such a big cap hit when the cap is coming down and we have players to re-sign which'll leave us with little to no room to improve elsewhere, it makes it a no from Pittsburgh with ease.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBenSF View Post
If I'm offered Iginla for Maatta, I'm taking it in a second. Much rather take a guy who already has chemistry with Crosby over someone like Ryan every day, not to mention that Ryan costs much more in value than Iginla.
as much as we all value our team's prospects, the thing that Pens fans should realize is, while you are still true Stanley Cup contenders, and you still have 2 of the best players on Earth, you should be trying to acquire top end talent if your management thinks you need it, and when the opportunity is there. Iginla is still very productive even though he's a long time NHL player, and if all it took was Olli Maata, who could be good one day, then if i were the Pens, i'd do it in a heartbeat!! your in a position of strength here with your defensive depth and you gotta win those cups while you can! and you'd still have top end defensive talent like Derrick Pouliot, Joe Morrow and Simon Despres, so it seems almost like a win/win for the Pens?

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:13 AM
tony d
The franchise

I can see a deal around 2 of the Penguins young defenseman plus Beau Bennett and a 1st round pick going to Calgary for Jarome Iginla.

01-09-2013, 11:14 AM
Gary83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Don't understand why the Flames wouldnt move Iginla. Yes, I understand he's been with the team since he began his career, but it's a business and the Flames should be doing what's best for the team. You guys need to rebuild and will get a premium for him at the deadline
Not according to HF posters.

Unless Maata for Iginla straight up is what you consider a premium, lol.

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:17 AM
Hottubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
Well I know people that have spoken to him, I know that he enjoys being a fixture in the community, that he loves his city, and most importantly his family is more important to him than winning a Stanley Cup. His family is deeply rooted in the city and he's content here. He's not going to uproot them to go join the Penguins, especially not while Calgary is still a competitive team (which they are).

Iginla is 35, he can play until he's 40. A lot can change in 5 years. Ask any of the recent Stanley Cup winners that and they'll tell you.
Iginla and his family/parents don't even spend the off-season in Calgary

Hottubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:21 AM
Human
cynic

Quote:
There's no way in hell we'd give up a highly touted prospect like Maatta for someone who is approaching his final years, for such a big cap hit when the cap is coming down and we have players to re-sign which'll leave us with little to no room to improve elsewhere, it makes it a no from Pittsburgh with ease.
yes, there is. the Pens would give Maatta for Iginla withe ease at the deadline.

Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:25 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human View Post
yes, there is. the Pens would give Maatta for Iginla withe ease at the deadline.
Shero loves his D-men and he won't give them up easily. I don't see the point in giving a top prospect that will likely become a top 4 NHL-er for around 3 years of a $7m cap hit which would just temporarily band-aid the problem. Beau Bennett, if successful at camp will fix this for the long term future and I'd rather give him the choice/option.

The biggest problem is the cap hit though. If the Flames were willing to retain some of that cap hit then it's possible.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:35 AM
ComixZone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
Paul Martin for Jay Bouwmeester.

A Letang-Bouwmeester top pairing would be dynamite, as long as Pens fans temper expectations, Bouwmeester is most valuable as a shut down, minutes muncher.
...no way would Calgary touch that.

ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:53 AM
LetangBrassard23

Quote:
Shero loves his D-men and he won't give them up easily. I don't see the point in giving a top prospect that will likely become a top 4 NHL-er for around 3 years of a $7m cap hit which would just temporarily band-aid the problem. Beau Bennett, if successful at camp will fix this for the long term future and I'd rather give him the choice/option.

The biggest problem is the cap hit though. If the Flames were willing to retain some of that cap hit then it's possible.
The cap hit is only for this season. His contract is up after this and I don't see him getting $7 million again. Iginla could be had but he would be a pure rental, IMO. I think that IF he gets traded, he resigns in Calgary in July. I also think/hope Pittsburgh would be a team he'd accept a trade to, considering with him it's a strong Cup contending team.

I'd do Maata/Pouliot, Kennedy, Tangradi, 2013 1st. It's not the best offer Calgary would see.

Then I'd run something like:

Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Tangradi/Jeffery
Glass-Vitale-Adams
Jeffery/Tangradi

LetangBrassard23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:55 AM
Selanne138

Pens traded away their most attractive asset for Ryan or Perry in the offseason in Staal. I love Joe Morrow but young defenseman is a surplus for us right now, we have two near ready guys in Lindholm and Vatanen who we cant fit in as it is. Dont see Ducks and Pens as good trading partners anymore.

Selanne138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:10 PM
Jesus Teemu

There's no way Ryan is going to Pittsburgh. They don't have the assets. Perry is a possibility at the deadline, but I still feel he'll re-sign.

Jesus Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:18 PM
Human
cynic

Quote:

oh give me a break. at the deadline, if offered the chance, Shero would give Maatta up for Iginla in a heartbeat.

edit: btw, Iginla would be a rental, he's in his last year of contract.

as for the Ducks players, the Pens just don't have what it would take to get them.

Old
01-09-2013, 12:22 PM
Violent By Design

Pens can't afford to give up the necessary pieces. If Iginla wants another shot at the cup he won't re-sign in Calgary this year, it's as simple as that. I would rather take the chance on him testing free agency than give up valuable assets for him.

As far as Perry and Ryan go, I believe the conversation starts with Letang, and that is a non-starter.

Violent By Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:24 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
I can see a deal around 2 of the Penguins young defenseman plus Beau Bennett and a 1st round pick going to Calgary for Jarome Iginla.
I can't see a deal, no thank you from Pittsburgh, that would be an Ideal package (or at least a start of a package) for Ryan or Perry, but not for a 35 year old Iginla.

And I have a question, since when do 35+ year old veterans return solid young players or prospects with high potential in a trade?

Originally, for the Pens to get Iginla, we had to trade Jordan Staal, if the Penguins wanted Gonchar, we would have to trade Despres or Niskanen+

I'm sorry but it would be piss poor asset management and a completely idiotic decision to trade a bunch of solid youth for 5 years of a player at best.

Not knocking Iginla in the slightest but someone please tell me how that makes sense?

2 of Despres, Morrow, Harrington, Pouliot, Maatta, and Dumoulin, our best skilled winger prospect Beau Bennett AND a 1st round pick? For Jerome Iginla?! I'd rather keep the prospects and the pick to be honest.

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:28 PM
Human
cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
no you can't. those are those red homer glasses you see actually. there's no way a 35 years old rental would fetch such a return.

Old
01-09-2013, 12:35 PM
Jaded-Fan

Crosby signed for life with the Pens. Malkin likely will follow suit. There is not a two year window or something like that where you have to empty the cupboard for one last go at a cup. As long as you have those two as your core you will be a cup contender. And although they will have to trade some of their defensive depth at some point, there just is so much of it, they are going to be counting on a lot of that depth to step in on the cheap in coming years. I just do not see the deals people are throwing around in this thread, not from Shero. As was pointed out, the Pens were one of the top offenses in the leage, top PP's etc. They are fine as is and one of the cup favorites, as is. No need to mortgage the future, and Shero is not the type to do so. He said when hire he builds for the long term, not for a year or two.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:37 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Shero does want to find a winger for Crosby. I think he's said as much but I agree with those saying the defense is a bigger concern.

I think between Fleury, Vokoun or even Zatkoff they'll find a goalie to play well enough to win. Last year Fleury played horrible in the playoffs but they were stuck with him because Brent Johnson and Brad Theissen played equally terrible all year. That shouldn't be the case this season.

Niskanen Letang
Orpik Martin
Bortuzzo Engelland
Strait/Lovejoy

^ That does not look like a championship defense to me. Especially when you consider that Orpik and Martin need to have bounce back seasons after playing poorly last year and there's no guarantee they will given their ages. I think they need a very good top 4 veteran D-Man more than anything unless a top prospect like Despres comes up and plays lights out. I don't think the other top prospects like Morrow and Pouliot are ready.

Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 01:00 PM
Haatley

vCash: 681
iginla for despres and a 2nd

Haatley is online now   Reply With Quote