Notices

Around the League

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2013, 12:47 PM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

vCash: 166
Check out the TML speculation thread on Burke....its like a nuclear bomb just went off

Old
01-09-2013, 12:47 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 200
Is there a more overrated man in hockey than Brian Burke?

Old
01-09-2013, 12:48 PM
puck stoppa

vCash: 500
Maybe he wanted to a Kessel/Boston sort of deal for Luongo and the Leafs maybe thought he was giving up too much.

Old
01-09-2013, 12:50 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Very weird.

Old
01-09-2013, 12:51 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

anyone else feel like HF boards slowed right down right after that tweet came out?

The timing seems odd to me, I wonder if something happened to take it over the edge..

Old
01-09-2013, 12:51 PM
DespoticNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzappa View Post
Check out the TML speculation thread on Burke....its like a nuclear bomb just went off
This post is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
For the people out there cheering this move...

Please realize this is like pressing the reset button.

There is absolutely no guarantees the new GM will come in and want to tank. For all we know it could be some young impressionable guy like JFJ who MLSE can "mould" which means... make him do what we want.

I'll reserve judgement until we get word on the replacement... but from the outset this looks like an awful awful move for an organization that was just starting to form an identity

Old
01-09-2013, 12:54 PM
razorsedge
West Town Sports

If true, terrible timing. He was probably butting heads to much with the guys they sign his pay checks.

Old
01-09-2013, 01:04 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I know it won't happen, but I would love to have Lubo on the Jets. Really enjoyed him with the Oilers.
And that was him already upset on not playing his best hockey...back when he was in LA, he was huge, easily a #1 D, like Enstrom but better shot, MILES better shot blocker, bigger, better almost everything really...and Enstrom is no slouch. He was a borderline top 5-10 D at the time, but he had a **** team in LA at the time 02-07 and it was LA so nobody took any notice...

Old
01-09-2013, 01:09 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 3585
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
I would never call him overrated.

Heavily discussed yes, overrated no.

Old
01-09-2013, 01:22 PM
s1g

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
Maybe he wanted to a Kessel/Boston sort of deal for Luongo and the Leafs maybe thought he was giving up too much.
If I had to guess, I'd say it was the opposite. Burke's been burned already for selling the farm (Rask, Seguin, and Hamilton), so he probably didn't want to trade a lot for Luongo. However, with Rogers/MLSE, their MO has always been about making money instead of winning a Cup. They want Luongo to sell tickets.

Old
01-09-2013, 01:24 PM
puck stoppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1g View Post
If I had to guess, I'd say it was the opposite. Burke's been burned already for selling the farm (Rask, Seguin, and Hamilton), so he probably didn't want to trade a lot for Luongo. However, with Rogers/MLSE, their MO has always been about making money instead of winning a Cup. They want Luongo to sell tickets.
The first part of your statement makes sense to me. But I highly doubt the Leafs have a hard time selling tickets!

Old
01-09-2013, 01:28 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
You realize that Rogers/Bell have owned the team for just about a year now, and most of that time has been spent locked out, right? MLSE is just the daughter company for the Sporting teams, the ownership completely changed hands. So it's really hard to say what they are about after just 3 months of hockey after buying the team...

Old
01-09-2013, 01:29 PM
BigZ65

Gotta love MLSE. Tuesday they hire a head coach for their soccer team who is still an active player in the EPL, has never coached 6 year olds let alone pros, and isn't available to them for the first 3 months of the regular season. Wednesday they fire a GM on the eve of a chaotic short season after allowing him to continue to make moves in the off-season.

Old
01-09-2013, 01:40 PM
s1g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
You realize that Rogers/Bell have owned the team for just about a year now, and most of that time has been spent locked out, right? MLSE is just the daughter company for the Sporting teams, the ownership completely changed hands. So it's really hard to say what they are about after just 3 months of hockey after buying the team...
Fair enough. We'll see how it shakes out though. I still stand by my theory and that Luongo ends up in Toronto before the season starts. Toronto sports media will eventually reveal what Burke was fired for.

Old
01-09-2013, 01:45 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Fair enough. We'll see how it shakes out though. I still stand by my theory and that Luongo ends up in Toronto before the season starts. Toronto sports media will eventually reveal what Burke was fired for.
I am by no means a TOR fan, in fact I pretty much hate them, but just thought I'd point that out.

I think I'd stand on the fact that Burke was fired since it makes life fun for the rest of the hockey world watch the Leafs be the biggest joke ever...not that firing Burke is neccessarily bad, but it's just a clown show of incompentance and ineptitude over there, a fun ride for the rest of us to laugh at

Old
01-09-2013, 01:45 PM
almostawake

Quote:
Rask was traded a year and a half before Burke was hired.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:03 PM
puck stoppa

In some fairness to Burke, John Ferguson Jr. was the guy that set this team back 5 years by trading Rask and having all those no trade clauses. The Leafs couldn't get any prospects/picks in return for Sundin, Kaberle, Kubina because of them. I even remember a Jeff Carter for Kaberle trade being on the table but Kabs didn't accept.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:09 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Nonis looks like he is about to puke.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:11 PM
Tintin's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
In some fairness to Burke, John Ferguson Jr. was the guy that set this team back 5 years by trading Rask and having all those no trade clauses. The Leafs couldn't get any prospects/picks in return for Sundin, Kaberle, Kubina because of them. I even remember a Jeff Carter for Kaberle trade being on the table but Kabs didn't accept.
Those are probably items that Burke was aware of going into the position. He could have chosen to go a different route but, instead, he doubled down on selling the future until he realized too late and started clawing back some draft picks. Burke compounded the problem with the Kessel offer sheet (after publicly going to war with Kevin Lowe over the Dustin Penner offer sheet).

Old
01-09-2013, 02:12 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin's Ghost View Post
Those are probably items that Burke was aware of going into the position. He could have chosen to go a different route but, instead, he doubled down on selling the future until he realized too late and started clawing back some draft picks. Burke compounded the problem with the Kessel offer sheet (after publicly going to war with Kevin Lowe over the Dustin Penner offer sheet).
Brian Burke REFUSED to offer sheet Kessel, which is why he traded for him...

Old
01-09-2013, 02:13 PM
Tintin's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Perhaps Dion Phaneuf, but I would say they are neck and neck.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:17 PM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

Seriously, if you want good entertainment at the expense of TML fans, check out the Burke thread. its pages and pages and pages of top-notch humour.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:27 PM
Huffer

vCash: 1090
So Burke is staying on as an advisor?

Old
01-09-2013, 02:28 PM
DespoticNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
So Burke is staying on as an advisor?
Senior advisor. I guess this is their way of having your cake and eating it, too.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:50 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 3585
They hire everyone as an advisor. Also have the ex-Atlanta GM as an advisor.

My thinking is that he didn't want to trade for Luongo, due to his contract and possibly other concerns. Goaltending is the teams obvious weakness and I'm fairly sure Burke and the ownership had entirely different feelings on the matter, so they fired him.

Closed Thread