HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Redskins Thread IV (Playoffs?!?! Edition)

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2013, 12:22 PM
Stewie G

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
The Skins don't give a **** about Griffin. His "big bulky" brace was a toy that did nothing. It was a light brace that flexed because they wanted him to run.

For an example of a team protecting its franchise qb, look at the brace Brady wore a few years back.
I don't know if that is a fair comparison without knowing the specifics of both injuries. Different injuries call for different treatments.

That said, there are suprisingly few images of Brady in his brace. I did find a picture of it by itself.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:20 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
I had thought the brace was hindering him; credit to Brian Mitchell for planting that seed in my head.

Quote:
LL ‏@HTTR24_7
So Im hearing some of these tears in Rob's ACL were around the screws from the previous surgery.
Screws, really? That sounds archaic and I am not surprised to hear that's where the tears were. I guess they cant do a hair pin shaped clamp, or just sew it, and secure the entire length.

Quote:
‏@granthpaulsen
One thing I found particularly interesting from my convo w/ the renowned doctor: RG3's previous ACL tear won't add time to rehab/recovery.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:27 PM
marcel snapshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
I'm amazed at the number of fans that believe the Skins would have lost regardless of whether or not they had a QB who could run 3 yards or make a 15 yrd pass.
Totally agree. Jeezus, the Seahawks figured out that RG III was badly compromised right before the TD that put us up 14-0, that's why they geared their defense entirely toward stopping Morris after that point. They saw how hurt RG III was and said, let's stop worrying about him beating us (which was helping Morris pile up yards in the 1st Q) and focus entirely on not letting Morris beat us. Hence, Kyle moves away from running Morris (because the Seahawks were geared primarily to stopping that) and trying to get RG III to make things happen - which he wasn't physically capable of doing (not to mention the lousy field position after the 1st Q).

At least with Cousins in there, the Seahawks D would have to worry a bit that our QB might be able to help the offense in some way, which could have opened things up a bit for Morris. How is it that the Seahawks were so quick to figure out that RG III couldn't make a play, but Shanny was never able to do so? To me, that speaks to the rigidity of his mind-set - the guy just does not adapt to changing circumstances very well.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:33 PM
EroCaps

RG3 grows up, learns to ****ing slide/run out of bounds, NOW. Or he's done in 5 years.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:00 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I had thought the brace was hindering him; credit to Brian Mitchell for planting that seed in my head.

Screws, really? That sounds archaic and I am not surprised to hear that's where the tears were. I guess they cant do a hair pin shaped clamp, or just sew it, and secure the entire length.
Since I had no idea what the surgery entailed, I checked the Johns Hopkins website and found this synopsis.

Quote:
The doctor will perform the surgery using an arthroscope (a small tube-shaped instrument that is inserted into a joint). The doctor may reattach the torn ligament or reconstruct the torn ligament by using a portion (graft) of the patellar tendon (that connects the kneecap to the tibia), the hamstring tendon (from the back of the thigh), or other autografts. The tendon graft may come from the person (autograft) or from an organ donor (allograft).

The doctor will drill small holes in the tibia and femur where the torn ligament was attached.

The doctor will thread the graft through the holes and attach it with surgical staples or screws. Bone eventually grows around the graft.
I don't have any idea how a clamp would work or what they could sew the tendon to that would provide the stability needed. Staples sound like they would have lesser chance of causing damage to the replacement ligament, but perhaps some doctors are concerned with them pulling loose. I'm not sure.

As to the last quote, based on what I read on the Hopkins site, it would have surprised me if the previous injury had any impact on the recovery time for this surgery. It is essentially a do-over. I would imagine the recover time would be essentially the same as it was last time.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:17 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Yeah my clamp theory is out the window.

Good stuff stew thanks for sharing that.

I bet Doc recycled the old screw holes. It sure doesn't seem like advanced science though. Find a good tendon from somewhere's, connect a few veins, and screw it into place.

I heard Doc made a 5 inch incision.

Hey RG3, can I have your autograft?

Old
01-09-2013, 03:33 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Yeah my clamp theory is out the window.

Good stuff stew thanks for sharing that.

I bet Doc recycled the old screw holes. It sure doesn't seem like advanced science though. Find a good tendon from somewhere's, connect a few veins, and screw it into place.

I heard Doc made a 5 inch incision.

Hey RG3, can I have your autograft?
Re-using the screw holes is something I didn't consider, but might very well be how they handle it. I'm curious now how they did it.

@ the autograft comment. It's not like he'll be needing the first one any longer.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:39 PM
bonzilla

Conspiracy theory II -

RGIII is told that he's sitting. Runs to Daddy Dan. Dan gives Shanny an offer that he can't refuse... I just know that Snyder has something to do with this, Shanahan is just not that stupid.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:34 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
The Skins don't give a **** about Griffin. His "big bulky" brace was a toy that did nothing. It was a light brace that flexed because they wanted him to run.

For an example of a team protecting its franchise qb, look at the brace Brady wore a few years back.
The Sports Reporters had an ESPN knee expert on a couple days ago and he said the benefit of knee braces is minimal. That the knee will move and flex which ever it wants with or without a brace. A brace provides some support, and probably reduced the amount of damage caused, but he said the way Griffins knee gave way no brace was going to stop that from happening.

And this is from a doctor, can't remember his name but B Mitch referred to him today, that worked under Andrews for a year. Seems to know his ****.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:38 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzilla View Post
Conspiracy theory II -

RGIII is told that he's sitting. Runs to Daddy Dan. Dan gives Shanny an offer that he can't refuse... I just know that Snyder has something to do with this, Shanahan is just not that stupid.
Chris Cooley commented recently that player access to Snyder, outside Snyder coming to practice, is minimal. That Shanahan and Allen put a stop to player visits to Snyder that Portis made famous when they took over. Completely changed the culture in that regard.

Unless some want label Cooley a liar too that seems to refute that "theory".

Old
01-09-2013, 04:54 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

I have a feeling the franchise QB and poster boy for the team might be able to skirt a few of those type of rules.

Old
01-09-2013, 05:10 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel snapshot View Post
Totally agree. Jeezus, the Seahawks figured out that RG III was badly compromised right before the TD that put us up 14-0, that's why they geared their defense entirely toward stopping Morris after that point. They saw how hurt RG III was and said, let's stop worrying about him beating us (which was helping Morris pile up yards in the 1st Q) and focus entirely on not letting Morris beat us. Hence, Kyle moves away from running Morris (because the Seahawks were geared primarily to stopping that) and trying to get RG III to make things happen - which he wasn't physically capable of doing (not to mention the lousy field position after the 1st Q).

At least with Cousins in there, the Seahawks D would have to worry a bit that our QB might be able to help the offense in some way, which could have opened things up a bit for Morris. How is it that the Seahawks were so quick to figure out that RG III couldn't make a play, but Shanny was never able to do so? To me, that speaks to the rigidity of his mind-set - the guy just does not adapt to changing circumstances very well.
I agree Cousins taking over at the half would of been ideal. Even with Cousins limited preperation prior to the game running Morris primarily and Cousins bootleg option could of helped the Defense hold a 14 point lead. Sadly we will never know.

I hold firm in the belief that Shanahan took the word of his young stud QB and remained faithful to Griffin in letting him stay in. Griffin's comments after the game seem to back that line of thinking up. That he was the teams best option, that he was hurt not injured, and that he earned the right to stay in the game. Shanahan should of followed his gutt feeling that Griffin needed to be taken out, but Griffin should of also put the team before his personal macho man pride.

I can't fault people for railing against Shanahan, but if Griffin isn't included in a big part of the blame that is simply unfair. You can say a veteran, SB winning, NFL HC should know better, but he was going by what his young stud macho man QB was telling him. And Shanahan made a decision he felt was right based on the information he was given, in the heat of the moment.

Hopefully this will open both Griffin's and Shanahan's eyes if a similar sitation shows in the future. Griffin learning that he is significantly limited physically he needs to put the team ahead of his personal pride and tell Shanahan is done. And Shanahan needs to realize moving forward that Griffin is going to tell him whatever he can to stay in the game so he can't count on Griffin to be truthful when it comes to his phsical condition.

Old
01-09-2013, 05:11 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
I have a feeling the franchise QB and poster boy for the team might be able to skirt a few of those type of rules.
So Cooley is a liar then. I'll make note for future reference.

Old
01-09-2013, 05:17 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
So Cooley is a liar then. I'll make note for future reference.
Are you intentionally trying to be belligerent and obtuse? I'm not accusing Cooley of lying. I trust what he said to be 100% accurate. But it's entirely possible that RGIII is a special case in the minds of the ownership, and that Snyder wants to foster a relationship with his franchise QB, team leader, and marketing golden boy.

Old
01-09-2013, 05:32 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Are you intentionally trying to be belligerent and obtuse? I'm not accusing Cooley of lying. I trust what he said to be 100% accurate. But it's entirely possible that RGIII is a special case in the minds of the ownership, and that Snyder wants to foster a relationship with his franchise QB, team leader, and marketing golden boy.
Cooley made it clear that the bad old days of "star" players having the ear of Snyder were over. So if you trust what he said 100% what are we talking about?

Old
01-10-2013, 12:31 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Pete Carroll won the coaching battle hands down.

Old
01-10-2013, 02:30 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Pete Carroll won the coaching battle hands down.
Can't really argue or debate what is true.

Old
01-10-2013, 03:07 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

ESPN Dr just said 9-12 months.

Old
01-10-2013, 07:57 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Hearing people imply RG3's recovery time may be on the low end, because he is so "driven" to recover as soon as possible is making think that may in the end be counter productive. I am preparing for 12 months.

I would bet he will be racing to get into game 1 and beat out Cousins... lying to anyone and everyone about his condition. I am thinking it may be best to sit his ass ALL next year no matter what he says. He may be quick to say that he is the best option for this team even on 6 ligaments, but I want him to learn the lesson that there is no I in team, and figure out he is better for our team on all 8 ligaments.

I wonder if it really cooked his goose to see Cousins come in and throw for more yards than he had, doing it in a less gimmicky offense. Cousins undefeated as a starter; all triggering a competition inside his head that really did not exist, and ultimately hurt the team thinking he had to mask his injury more than ever.

I know part of being young is being stupid and learning by mistakes, but he just has to be smarter protecting himself, especially since his coach will not.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 01-10-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Old
01-10-2013, 09:24 AM
BobRouse

What I find extremely fascinating is that RG3s knee gets FAR more coverage than the current NFL playoffs! Its like Seattle's victory is an after thought and "the knee" is constantly dissected in the media. When was the last time a Redskins player was this popular? NEVER!

Anyhow..whats done is done. Seems like he will miss at least some time to start next season.

I for one and very excited to see Cousins play. I think he will shine personally. I'm sure deep down he is excited at this opportunity. If he comes in and Kurt Warner's it then we will have a pleasant problem on our hands.

Old
01-10-2013, 10:43 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

I think it will be quite humbling and may be best for RG3 healthy yet next year forced to watch Cousins who say presumably is doing well; coaches don't want to disrupt the offense etc. Or, hearing Cousins saying all the same ego speak we heard from RG3 as he craps the bed.

Get a good quarterback controversy going and then trade..... Cousins.

Yeah, Cousins.

If we want to run the Baylor offense going forward, maybe we need to draft another mobile QB that can throw a slant. RG3 is proving injury prone and until we stop calling run plays, I don't expect that to change.

We were calling run plays for him after he got injured in the Seattle game and so I expect more of the same when he gets back 100%.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 01-10-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old
01-10-2013, 02:21 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

I haven't gotten any less angry about this.

01-10-2013, 02:30 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

I am so pissed I vow to make an ill thought out post here daily

We couldn't just end the year with a run of the mill loss.

I found solace in seeing Trent smacking the little punk ass trash talking pill popping corner

Skip over his trash and go to 00:40

http://www.wtop.com/351/3186518/Audi...on-field-VIDEO

Old
01-10-2013, 02:39 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

I'm kind of glad he got injured. Not that I want him specifically to be injured, but I like to see stupid decisions get punished as such.

Old
01-10-2013, 02:46 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Kinda 'meh' about the whole thing. Hindsight is always 20/20.