HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Connecticut Whale/Greenville Road Warriors Thread (AHL, ECHL) Part II

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2013, 07:47 AM
UAGoalieGuy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
You forgot about Fowler, whom more people were clamoring for
Ah yes! That's what I for posting first thing in the morning.

Old
01-08-2013, 08:53 AM
NYR Viper

This is the reason many people over the summer were calling for the Rangers to sign a legit heavyweight to play every night in Connecticut. Without one, the responsibility falls on players like Haley and McIlrath to do the heavy lifting. They shouldn't have to do that.

They need to sign someone. Godard is available. Give him a 1-way deal, who cares, the Rangers have room. Keep the youngins safe and let McIlrath pick his spots.

The same thing happened to the Rangers when Boogaard (RIP) went down early in the season. Prust had to pick up A LOT of the load.

Old
01-08-2013, 04:40 PM
E-Train

Yogan recalled to CT. Hopefully he sticks for the rest of the season. 9-3-12 in 15 games with Greenville. Maybe another forward and Delisle come up for the weekend games.

Old
01-08-2013, 04:43 PM
E-Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
This is the reason many people over the summer were calling for the Rangers to sign a legit heavyweight to play every night in Connecticut. Without one, the responsibility falls on players like Haley and McIlrath to do the heavy lifting. They shouldn't have to do that.

They need to sign someone. Godard is available. Give him a 1-way deal, who cares, the Rangers have room. Keep the youngins safe and let McIlrath pick his spots.

The same thing happened to the Rangers when Boogaard (RIP) went down early in the season. Prust had to pick up A LOT of the load.
It would help to add someone like Godard to CT but I believe he retired earlier this season. There has to be some goon they can bring in for the 4th line.

Old
01-08-2013, 04:46 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:

I disagree to an extent- sure, we can hire a goon to protect the younger kids who can fight...but the younger kids who can fight are still gonna fight. Prust didn't fight to pick up the slack, he fought because that's what he did. At no point when Boogy was here was he more of the teams enforcer than Prust, and I think that's how it would work in CT too. Mac knows he can throw the fists, opponents know he can, and so he's gonna do it no matter if Joey Kocur was with him on the ice.

Old
01-08-2013, 04:54 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I disagree to an extent- sure, we can hire a goon to protect the younger kids who can fight...but the younger kids who can fight are still gonna fight. Prust didn't fight to pick up the slack, he fought because that's what he did. At no point when Boogy was here was he more of the teams enforcer than Prust, and I think that's how it would work in CT too. Mac knows he can throw the fists, opponents know he can, and so he's gonna do it no matter if Joey Kocur was with him on the ice.
I disagree. Look no further than the Boston Bruins. Lucic can fight the heavies. Boston carries Thornton to take on those players so Lucic can stay on the ice and play hockey and fight when he deems it necessary. If we are hoping McIlrath becomes the Lucic of our defense than he can't be allowed to have to fight the other teams goon every night.

Old
01-08-2013, 05:04 PM
eco's bones

McIlrath may be the 'undertaker' but he's still a kid. Wilkes Barre has Steve McIntyre--maybe the best heavyweight in the world who has been fighting and pounding on grown men for years. Really wouldn't want to see McIlrath and him collide--not at this stage of Dylan's development anyway. The AHL has a number of guys who suck as hockey players but can do some real ass whipping. Joel Rechlicz is another one. Godard doesn't sound a bad idea to me either.

Old
01-09-2013, 08:19 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
01/08/2013 Andrew Yogan (LW) Connecticut ADD Reassigned by N.Y. Rangers (NHL) from Greenville (ECHL)

Yogan had 9 goals and 3 assists in 15 ECHL games. They'll need someone to replace Kreider.

If Delisle or Niemi are brought up in the next few days, it will be a clear indication that Gilroy will receive an NHL deal.

EDIT: Didn't see E-Train posted it already, my bad.

It's just pain.

Last edited by nyr2k2: 01-09-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old
01-09-2013, 08:50 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
McIlrath may be the 'undertaker' but he's still a kid. Wilkes Barre has Steve McIntyre--maybe the best heavyweight in the world who has been fighting and pounding on grown men for years. Really wouldn't want to see McIlrath and him collide--not at this stage of Dylan's development anyway. The AHL has a number of guys who suck as hockey players but can do some real ass whipping. Joel Rechlicz is another one. Godard doesn't sound a bad idea to me either.
Agreed. I can't believe they couldn't find someone to fill that role. IMO that needs to be a priority ASAP.

Old
01-09-2013, 09:11 AM
Osminator

Quote:
Agreed. I can't believe they couldn't find someone to fill that role. IMO that needs to be a priority ASAP.
The composition of the team this year is probably the worst since they've arrived in Hartford. Breaks my heart cus I am a huge Whale Pack supporter

Old
01-09-2013, 09:25 AM
NYR Viper

Yeah, the few vets they have (minus Gilroy, Newbury and Kolarik) are not as good as prior years. Especially on defense.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:33 AM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
AHL vets seem totally hit or miss. Couple that with a bunch of youngsters still finding their game and you might have a rough season. We'll see what happens post-lockout!

Old
01-09-2013, 11:48 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Goddard is retired. Taker is a child when it comes to the fighting game and you guys make fantastic points. Guys in the AHL are super heavyweights and look ever night to enforce and keep their names out there. We should have signed a guy and once the camps in the nhl start there will be guys looking again for jobs,

Old
01-09-2013, 12:01 PM
NYR Viper

What happened to Mitch Fritz? Could they sign him?

Old
01-09-2013, 12:06 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
What happened to Mitch Fritz? Could they sign him?
He retired from professional hockey.

Old
01-09-2013, 12:14 PM
egelband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
The nickname was well earned in Jrs. He's not a fly under the radar type of brawler. He's very Eric cairns-like. Big boy, big rep for a reason.

At the NHL level Mcilrath is gonna eat some punches. There's no question. I just hope that after he loses a scrap or two people don't give upon him like the did Cairns. He lost a fee big fights in decisive fashion and got labeled "Glass-jaw". Cairns later became a top 3 heavyweight in the league. I think Mac has that same potential, however I don't think he skates in sand like Cairns did.
i'm sure he deserves the nickname and all that. i'm just saying i suppose it'll ad a little more pressure when he reaches the nhl. i'd prefer a rookie comes up with as little fanfare as possible.
it's sort of like when i'm at an airport...i cover up my passport to avoid advertising i'm an american. why give anyone a reason...

Old
01-09-2013, 01:15 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

how about getting a tough guy who has some future.. not some tough guy with no skill....

how about trading for one of Matt Fraser, Cody Beach, Kyle Beach, Anthony Peluso or Patrick Maroon??

any one of these would be better than some old vet heavyweight that has no potential... these guys are young but have been in the AHL for a few years... no point of having a player in the AHL that has no future in the NHL..

Old
01-09-2013, 02:51 PM
Osminator

Congrats Shayne Wiebe, well deserved!
01/09/2013 Shayne Wiebe (C) CT ADD Signed to SPC

Old
01-09-2013, 02:54 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
Congrats Shayne Wiebe, well deserved!
01/09/2013 Shayne Wiebe (C) CT ADD Signed to SPC
How has he looked?

Old
01-09-2013, 03:02 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

I only saw him play once, but he was all over the ice and all over the puck. Had his chances. I think it's a good move.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:04 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
how about getting a tough guy who has some future.. not some tough guy with no skill....

how about trading for one of Matt Fraser, Cody Beach, Kyle Beach, Anthony Peluso or Patrick Maroon??

any one of these would be better than some old vet heavyweight that has no potential... these guys are young but have been in the AHL for a few years... no point of having a player in the AHL that has no future in the NHL..
In agreement. My least favorite players on the Wolf Pack/Whale have been the heavyweights who can't skate and only fight. They're just a bore and detract from the team. Find a guy who can protect his team and skate a bit.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:05 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Too bad they couldn't keep Deveaux.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:48 PM
eco's bones

McIlrath IMO can handle most guys--Brett Gallant for instance is a legit tough guy. It's just the bigger guys who have been doing it for years have built up their strength, punching power and fighting know how. McIntyre, Rechlicz, Trevor Gillies, Mirasty, Yablonski etc. suck as players but they can hurt someone real bad. I wouldn't want to see Dylan go through what Michael Sauer is going through now. He's too valuable a prospect to get wasted over a career minor league goon. These guys usually search out each other but on any given night if no comparable player is available very often they'll look for the next best thing. Dylan is going to get stronger and smarter as a fighter himself (barring getting seriously hurt) given time. Right now he's not on that kind of level. The other night when we were playing Wilkes Barre--there's Steve McIntyre in the lineup. It's something to think about.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:08 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
How has he looked?

Surpsingly solid. No NHL future, but very solid for the AHL.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:13 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
McIlrath IMO can handle most guys--Brett Gallant for instance is a legit tough guy. It's just the bigger guys who have been doing it for years have built up their strength, punching power and fighting know how. McIntyre, Rechlicz, Trevor Gillies, Mirasty, Yablonski etc. suck as players but they can hurt someone real bad. I wouldn't want to see Dylan go through what Michael Sauer is going through now. He's too valuable a prospect to get wasted over a career minor league goon. These guys usually search out each other but on any given night if no comparable player is available very often they'll look for the next best thing. Dylan is going to get stronger and smarter as a fighter himself (barring getting seriously hurt) given time. Right now he's not on that kind of level. The other night when we were playing Wilkes Barre--there's Steve McIntyre in the lineup. It's something to think about.

McIlrath should keep fighting in the AHL. He needs to learn to fight experienced adults. He's used to beating teenagers into submission, but that phase of his life is over. I don't want him to be turn into a goon, but he should learn how to fight adults.

Closed Thread