HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Index 2012-2013

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2013, 05:02 PM
Mergus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Anyone miss the Grigorenko age controversy?
Well, it's back and this time it's coming from his own country:

http://twitter.com/IgorEronko/status/287170177253126146

http://twitter.com/IgorEronko/status/287173905741918208
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...enko-responds/

Love how Grigo responded.

At this point I don't even care how old he is.... the NHL isn't like the NFL. Rookies get paid like rookies. If it turns out he is older and doesn't make the leap, all we lost was a mid-round pick on a guy with a lot of upside. I won't lose sleep over it. It isn't like we wasted a top 3 pick.

Old
01-04-2013, 06:43 PM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergus View Post

At this point I don't even care how old he is.... the NHL isn't like the NFL. Rookies get paid like rookies. If it turns out he is older and doesn't make the leap, all we lost was a mid-round pick on a guy with a lot of upside. I won't lose sleep over it. It isn't like we wasted a top 3 pick.
I agree

Old
01-04-2013, 09:22 PM
rabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergus View Post

Gotta think that's why Darcy made the trade to get Girgensons...

Old
01-04-2013, 09:57 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi View Post
Gotta think that's why Darcy made the trade to get Girgensons...
I'm lost, why?

Old
01-04-2013, 10:26 PM
rabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
I'm lost, why?
"If it turns out he is older and doesn't make the leap, all we lost was a mid-round pick on a guy with a lot of upside."

Hedging a bet...

Old
01-05-2013, 06:01 AM
ttcminaker

Great tournament for Grigorenko. His smarts and skill were on display throughout but what caught my eye was his dedication to his defensive positioning throughout. He was very focused in the defensive end and won many battles down low which is nice to see from an offensive prospect. Even had a great leg save to save a goal!

People can nitpick aspects of Grigorenko and Armia's games but this organization hasn't had two high end offensive prospects with size in a long, long time.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:56 AM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttcminaker View Post
Great tournament for Grigorenko. His smarts and skill were on display throughout but what caught my eye was his dedication to his defensive positioning throughout. He was very focused in the defensive end and won many battles down low which is nice to see from an offensive prospect. Even had a great leg save to save a goal!

People can nitpick aspects of Grigorenko and Armia's games but this organization hasn't had two high end offensive prospects with size in a long, long time.
Grigorenko can play goal too!

Old
01-05-2013, 12:01 PM
Jame
Dream '16

jfb,

have you changed your opinion on McCabe yet?

Old
01-05-2013, 03:47 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
So what does this mean? is there a chance Girgensons gets sent down to WHL?
HERE's the article and Kelowna's still "operating like [they're] not going to have him." Like JJ said, nothing's changed on the Sabres end. I fully expect him to remain an Amerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Anyone miss the Grigorenko age controversy?
If as a fan, I'm already sick of the Grigorenko age quips and lazy/enigma stereotypes, then I can only imagine how frustrated he actually feels every time he's asked to refute those statements by the media.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:26 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

Also, Logan Nelson picked up a LBI injury last week. He was rubbed out along the wall after gaining the zone and stayed down. He was assisted off the ice favoring his left leg. It was later reported that he was seen on crutches:
Quote:
Nelson left the game after an awkward fall in which he injured his left leg or foot. He was in the press box on crutches later in the second period, which means he could be lost for a stretch. The official line was he would be re-evaluated today.

Link: http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/...ougars-1.36457
...and that he'll miss several weeks:
Quote:
Victoria’s depth up front continues to be severely-stressed — with forwards Logan Nelson and Luke Harrison out for several weeks and Ben Walker day-to-day — but was aided by the return of leading scorer Alex Gogolev who contributed an assist and newcomer Trent Lofthouse making his Royals debut after being acquired Thursday from the Everett Silvertips.

Link: http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/...econds-1.40243
It was the same area of the ice that Tropp got injured, but a more innocent hit... just seemed to tangle and twist as he tried to peel away from the check.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:39 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Friedman had one of his 30 Thoughts columns, including some insight from scouts about the WJC. Sounds like whoever he spoke to really liked Grigs and Armia:

Quote:
27. Draftees who looked good: Alex Galchenyuk (Montreal) -- "Stud." (Every NHL executive loves that word.) Mikhail Grigorenko (Buffalo). Joel Armia (Buffalo): "Most pure sniper I've seen in awhile... makes goalies look silly with release and reach... when motivated he was like man with boys." Yaroslav Kosov (Florida): "Played both ends of rink and didn't give up. Looks like a smart pick." Tomas Hertl (San Jose): "gained a step. Excellent vision, hard to contain." Got mixed reviews on Filip Forsberg (Washington).
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...ould-work.html

Old
01-07-2013, 11:02 AM
Moskau

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Friedman had one of his 30 Thoughts columns, including some insight from scouts about the WJC. Sounds like whoever he spoke to really liked Grigs and Armia
Armia is going to be such a maddening player. I have no problem with it but he is a bigger more skilled Miro Satan. Vanek often gets compared to Miro but they play nothing alike, Armia on the other hand plays the exact same way. I think he even has the same unspoken cockiness that Miro had. I'm really excited to see such a pure sniper in a Sabres uniform, it's been a while.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:03 AM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

"Joel Armia (Buffalo): "Most pure sniper I've seen in awhile... makes goalies look silly with release and reach... when motivated he was like man with boys."

Now we have to make sure he can stay motivated over an 82 game season.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:12 AM
Moskau

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
"Joel Armia (Buffalo): "Most pure sniper I've seen in awhile... makes goalies look silly with release and reach... when motivated he was like man with boys."

Now we have to make sure he can stay motivated over an 82 game season.
Eh only player that comes even close to showing up for all 82 games is Crosby. With a player like Armia and most snipers you just hope they show up to 41. It's sad but true. #82gamesistoomany

Old
01-07-2013, 11:29 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Armia is going to be such a maddening player. I have no problem with it but he is a bigger more skilled Miro Satan. Vanek often gets compared to Miro but they play nothing alike, Armia on the other hand plays the exact same way. I think he even has the same unspoken cockiness that Miro had. I'm really excited to see such a pure sniper in a Sabres uniform, it's been a while.
More skilled than Satan? Tap the brakes a little. Satan was one of the most skilled players to wear a Sabres Jersey in my lifetime.

Last edited by stokes84: 01-07-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old
01-07-2013, 01:39 PM
Jacob582

Quote:
Eh only player that comes even close to showing up for all 82 games is Crosby. With a player like Armia and most snipers you just hope they show up to 41. It's sad but true. #82gamesistoomany
and Kaleta (pro-rated, of course)

Old
01-07-2013, 02:53 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Don't agree with the first sentence but I do agree with the overall point. The question then is within that context, will Armia still be a relatively up-and-down player? Hopefully not.

Old
01-07-2013, 06:45 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
More skilled than Satan? Tap the brakes a little. Satan was one of the most skilled players to wear a Sabres Jersey in my lifetime.
Satan skilled? Yes

Satan motivated all season? No

Satan a leader? No

Satan tried about 50% of the time? Yes

Satan if motivated most games could of had 100 pt. seasons thru most of his time in buffalo? Yes

I will always view Satan as a skilled and talented sniper with low motivation and no leadership qualities. Reminded me of Alexei Kovalev a lot.

Old
01-09-2013, 12:27 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

Isackson makes Sportcenter's Top-10 with this goal versus Notre Dame:

Old
01-09-2013, 02:12 PM
LaxSabre

vCash: 213
Fresh off his great play during the recent World Junior Championships, Sabres prospect Andrey Makarov and the Saskatoon Blades host the Red Deer Rebels this Friday night. The game will be the Friday Night CHL Hockey Game Of The Week and it can be seen LIVE on all Sportsnet Channels in Canada and the NHL Network in the United States starting at 8:00 pm ET. (If you can't watch it LIVE on the NHL Network-US at 8:00 pm ET - there are edited two-hour replays scheduled for Friday night at 11:00 pm ET and Saturday morning at 6:00 am ET.)

For Canadian viewers only, from 7:00 pm ET to 8:00 pm ET - all of the Sportsnet Channels will be showing an episode of "On The Edge: Road To The Mastercard Memorial Cup" which is a look at the Saskatoon Blades "run" to this years Memorial Cup in which they are the host team.

Too bad the Blades weren't hosting the Edmonton Oil Kings on Friday night. (They host them on Saturday night instead.) Would have been neat to be able to watch the WHL team I root for this season (Saskatoon because of Makarov) playing the WHL team I rooted for last season (Edmonton because of Pysyk who is now playing this season for the Rochester Americans.) Darn!

Last edited by LaxSabre: 01-11-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old
01-10-2013, 11:15 AM
TheWook

Kea is shattering is offensive totals from last season, looks like Regier/Devine made some real good picks so far.

Old
01-10-2013, 11:46 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWook View Post
Kea is shattering is offensive totals from last season, looks like Regier/Devine made some real good picks so far.
I've been excited following his play this year.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:32 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Good to hear. Hopefully he can turn into a Gaustad type with better footwork.

Old
01-10-2013, 03:55 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

Sabres’ Peterson coming into his own for ‘Riders:
Quote:
The Cedar Rapids RoughRiders forward ZZZZed his way right through the biggest moment of his hockey life thus far: getting taken in last June’s NHL Draft by the Buffalo Sabres.

“I didn’t want to put much hype into it, just waiting and sitting there, so I slept in that morning,” Peterson said. “I wake up to some calls from my dad and my buddies. Actually missed the call from Buffalo letting me know I’d been drafted.”
Quote:
He’s got some developing to do before that’s realistic. Peterson was Cedar Rapids’ top pick in last spring’s USHL Entry Draft, but he has struggled at times making the adjustment from prep to high-level junior hockey.

Sizeable (6-foot, 200 pounds) and skilled with a good shot, he has been a healthy scratch from time to time. He said that has been tough to take.

“To be honest, I knew this was a hard league, but I didn’t think it would be as much of an uphill battle as it’s turned out to be,” he said. “I didn’t see all this coming. It kind of hit me fast. I’ve battled quite a bit of adversity, and I love Coach (Mark) Carlson for doing that. So far this season, he’s taught me a lot. To be more mentally tough, which every hockey player needs.”

Peterson has turned things around to the tune of two goals and eight points in his last four games. He also has posted a plus-minus rating of plus-seven over his last three, including a plus-four effort last Saturday night in a 6-1 win at Waterloo.

It’s coming.

Old
01-10-2013, 05:12 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

Closed Thread