HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the LIIIgue

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2013, 02:25 PM
ddawg1950

vCash: 500
Bobby Mac saying on TSN that he can't believe a potential hockey trade would have been a consideration in firing Burke.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:33 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
Hi guys. Can you tell me a bit about Nonis as gm? Was he liked? hated? I know he made a good trade for Luongo, but did he do anything else good?

he might not even be replacement for burke, but I feel there's a good chance
Nonis has a split reputation among the Canuck fanbase. Generally the type of fan who always wants to blow the team up in the offseason when things go wrong will hate him, those with more patience will like him.

He's not going to make any real bold moves (apart from a Luongo trade) but will slowly and steadily build from within. Kind of like what Burke's been doing the last two years in Toronto, vs his first three years. With resigning players and free agents he tends to pay them just a little more than what the fanbase happy medium would be, but he does it without any antagonism and the players stay happy. I think he's been doing Toronto's contracts these past few years anyways, which is why a guy like Grabovski got maybe a little more than you wanted rather than angrily being driven out of town when he asked for $5M+.

I should add the worst thing Nonis did in Vancouver was make horrible trade deadline deals. Lots of 2nd and 3rd round picks given out for players that had little to no impact for us. Although to be fair Burke didn't leave the team with a lot of depth.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:38 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

When is Dave Pratt's show on again?

Next one should pretty (or petty) entertaining.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:45 PM
Reverend Mayhem

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
I love everything about this move. Luongo to TO for some actual value!

Old
01-09-2013, 02:46 PM
gobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
Nonis has a split reputation among the Canuck fanbase. Generally the type of fan who always wants to blow the team up in the offseason when things go wrong will hate him, those with more patience will like him.

He's not going to make any real bold moves (apart from a Luongo trade) but will slowly and steadily build from within. Kind of like what Burke's been doing the last two years in Toronto, vs his first three years. With resigning players and free agents he tends to pay them just a little more than what the fanbase happy medium would be, but he does it without any antagonism and the players stay happy. I think he's been doing Toronto's contracts these past few years anyways, which is why a guy like Grabovski got maybe a little more than you wanted rather than angrily being driven out of town when he asked for $5M+.

I should add the worst thing Nonis did in Vancouver was make horrible trade deadline deals. Lots of 2nd and 3rd round picks given out for players that had little to no impact for us. Although to be fair Burke didn't leave the team with a lot of depth.
That and his draft history.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:49 PM
Proto

Quote:

This seems overly charitable. Nonis won't "slowly" build from within. He'll just sit on whatever team he has and see what happens. He had his moments, but he wasn't willing to take an aggressive move when he needed to in order to improve the team, save one big trade for Luongo. There were lots of options open to him that he didn't pursue -- not trading for Richards was a good move, but it's easy to understand why ownership got tired of his act.

I think the problem with his deadlines was, as I said earlier, he was putting band-aids on bullet wounds. Giving away 2nd and 3rd round picks isn't a big deal, as they have little or no value. The odds of a 2nd round pick becoming anything useful are slim to none. My only problem is he never acquired guys good enough to keep around, whereas Gillis tends to acquire useful buy-low players with his picks (Higgins, Lapierre, notably).

Old
01-09-2013, 02:54 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
When is Dave Pratt's show on again?

Next one should pretty (or petty) entertaining.
7PM tonight on CKNW

Old
01-09-2013, 02:56 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
This seems overly charitable. Nonis won't "slowly" build from within. He'll just sit on whatever team he has and see what happens. He had his moments, but he wasn't willing to take an aggressive move when he needed to in order to improve the team, save one big trade for Luongo. There were lots of options open to him that he didn't pursue -- not trading for Richards was a good move, but it's easy to understand why ownership got tired of his act.

I think the problem with his deadlines was, as I said earlier, he was putting band-aids on bullet wounds. Giving away 2nd and 3rd round picks isn't a big deal, as they have little or no value. The odds of a 2nd round pick becoming anything useful are slim to none. My only problem is he never acquired guys good enough to keep around, whereas Gillis tends to acquire useful buy-low players with his picks (Higgins, Lapierre, notably).
Not trading for Richards wasnt his decision. Feaster chose to go with Dallas package.

Nonis offered Schneider, Bourdon 1st (Hodgson), 2nd, 3rd

Old
01-09-2013, 03:22 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Not trading for Richards wasnt his decision. Feaster chose to go with Dallas package.

Mainly because they wanted a NHL goalie involved in the trade & we didn't have one of value to deal them at the time (Schneider was still a raw prospect then).

Old
01-09-2013, 03:38 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post

I don't know if he offered that much, but that's not a terrible trade for a guy of Richards quality. But the Lightning reportedly wanted Edler in a deal and Nonis (rightly) balked, but ownership wanted a deal done.

Nonis just had too many summers where he banked on regressing players like Naslund to recapture magic they'd obviously never recapture.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:44 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
I don't know if he offered that much, but that's not a terrible trade for a guy of Richards quality. But the Lightning reportedly wanted Edler in a deal and Nonis (rightly) balked, but ownership wanted a deal done.

Nonis just had too many summers where he banked on regressing players like Naslund to recapture magic they'd obviously never recapture.
Yup. He did say no eventully as they wanted Edler and Kes I believe.

Here's the link:

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/darren_dreger/?id=234470

Old
01-09-2013, 03:45 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobi View Post
That and his draft history.
"History" is really too kind a term for it. "Draft atrocities," maybe?

Maybe Patrick White has a shot at an NHL career now.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:16 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad View Post
Maybe Patrick White has a shot at an NHL career now.
Taylor Ellington is at a PPG pace right now for the Cincinnati Cyclones. Sign him Nonis....

Old
01-09-2013, 04:16 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
crap
Maybe he's gotten better though, who knows?

Old
01-09-2013, 04:18 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Taylor Ellington is at a PPG pace right now for the Cincinnati Cyclones. Sign him Nonis....
Don't stop there, look at the whole 07' draft. A lost generation.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:31 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Believe it or not, just running the numbers quickly off the top of my head/from memory, I think there's almost a 20% chance in any given year that a team with one pick in each of the 7 rounds will end up with zero NHL players.

I'm doing that pretty rough, of course, but late 1st round picks are somewhere around 50% success rate (maybe even lower than that?), 2nds are about 25%, and rounds 3-7 work out to about 11-13% on aggregate.

Leaves you between 15-20% of going oh-for-the-draft if you pick late in the 1st.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:32 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Pretty sad when out of that entire draft, only *ONE* guy was able to get spot duty at the AHL level.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:44 PM
ProstheticConscience
Dystemper

LMAO @ Toronto. Leafs' board is such a gong show right now.

Such a bizarre move to fire Burke now. If this really does turn out to be about Burke not wanting to pay much for Luongo and we end up gettting Rielly, Gardiner, a 1st or whatever in a couple of days after Nonis takes over, I'm going to be laughing so hard and for so long.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:52 PM
timw33

Quote:
Believe it or not, just running the numbers quickly off the top of my head/from memory, I think there's almost a 20% chance in any given year that a team with one pick in each of the 7 rounds will end up with zero NHL players.

I'm doing that pretty rough, of course, but late 1st round picks are somewhere around 50% success rate (maybe even lower than that?), 2nds are about 25%, and rounds 3-7 work out to about 11-13% on aggregate.

Leaves you between 15-20% of going oh-for-the-draft if you pick late in the 1st.
I don't even care about NHL players, NONE of those players played a single NHL game and as a collective they played maybe 50 AHL games (Ellington and Matson) and barely made an impact.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:57 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:

I hated Nonis for some of the worst drafting in Canucks history...

Guy took Pat White then Taylor Ellington before PK Subban...

Old
01-09-2013, 04:59 PM
Reverend Mayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
I hated Nonis for some of the worst drafting in Canucks history...

Guy took Pat White then Taylor Ellington before PK Subban...
I don't think Nonis was that bad at drafting but the 2007 draft was one of the worst I've ever seen for sure.

Old
01-09-2013, 05:04 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
I don't think Nonis was that bad at drafting but the 2007 draft was one of the worst I've ever seen for sure.
And we all KNEW it as it was happening.

Old
01-09-2013, 05:19 PM
archangel archangel

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
LMAO @ Toronto. Leafs' board is such a gong show right now.

Such a bizarre move to fire Burke now. If this really does turn out to be about Burke not wanting to pay much for Luongo and we end up gettting Rielly, Gardiner, a 1st or whatever in a couple of days after Nonis takes over, I'm going to be laughing so hard and for so long.
Leaf board is almost always a gong show when anything happens. Now, they are just bouncing off walls

Old
01-09-2013, 05:32 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrazycanuck View Post
Leaf board is almost always a gong show when anything happens. Now, they are just bouncing off walls
To be fair to us, the ownership isn't any less of a gong-show either.

Old
01-09-2013, 05:32 PM
Reverend Mayhem

Quote:
And we all KNEW it as it was happening.
I was younger at the time, I didn't know who I wanted that was available (I wanted Cherepanov or Backlund) but I remember thinking: "Who the **** did we just draft?"...poor Patrick.

Closed Thread