HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL (Part XXXIX): (1/9: Leafs fire Brian Burke as GM; Dave Nonis steps in)

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2013, 01:12 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

vCash: 500
Burke is definately one of my favorite GM's. The man speaks his mind. He's a stand up guy. I mnet him at the HOF for Messier induction. He, Quinn and Slats buddied around all night.

I would love to see him come to NY, but theres already too many cooks int he kitchen. Slats, Shoenfeld, Gordon, Messier, Riseborough...What do these guys do anyway? Specifically what does Messier do for the Rangers other than a random TV appearance from the rtfters? For Riseborough, what is a Hockey Consultant?

Old
01-09-2013, 01:13 PM
TheRedViper

Burke is still working for the leafs

Old
01-09-2013, 01:15 PM
Rangers Fail
free james sheppard

Agreed that TOR doesn't need Luongo. They won't be a playoff team with him. You trade for superstars when they'll put you over the top. (ie: Nash)
They have a few nice pieces. Trade the garbage like Komisarek for whatever you can.
Of course, playing in the biggest market in the world means that fans won't want to go through another rebuild. There will be media backlash. The ownership needs to understand this. Having Seguin would have really helped them though. Obviously Burke could not have known that the team would **** the bed and give the Bruins a 2nd OV pick. But it is what it is.

Old
01-09-2013, 01:29 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

MLSE reminds me of the ownership group that bought Queens Park Rangers a few years ago. There's a documentary called "The Four Year Plan" that they filmed about the owners as they tried to claw their way back into the Premiership. Eventually they did, but the first hour is a ****-show. You see Flavio Briatore & Co barking orders from the stands in the middle of the game, and chewing out the Manager after every game.

These guys seem like a bunch of rich guys who want "yes men" running their teams. What a joke.

Old
01-09-2013, 01:32 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I agree with you SSM, but the Rangers have other positions besides AGM. Sather must respect Burke at least as they are known to be friends. Riseborough was brought in after he was fired in Minnesota. The larger the collection of hockey minds the more apt they are to get things right.
I dont know, i think sometimes too many voices gets too complicated.

The Rangers have a great staff right now.

Sather, Gorton, Clark, Shoenfeld, Tortorella, Allaire... A lot of great hockey minds there already.

Burke may be a too overbearing personality to fit.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:00 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
I know Burke's firing comes as a shock to some but I can't help but think it wouldn't be such a big deal if it were someone else. The guy seems to have some aura around him like he's the greatest GM ever and is beyond getting canned. The team didn't make the playoffs in a huge hockey market that hasn't had playoff hockey in a long time. You need to perform in this league and meet expectations.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:22 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
I know Burke's firing comes as a shock to some but I can't help but think it wouldn't be such a big deal if it were someone else. The guy seems to have some aura around him like he's the greatest GM ever and is beyond getting canned. The team didn't make the playoffs in a huge hockey market that hasn't had playoff hockey in a long time. You need to perform in this league and meet expectations.
Only shocked by the timing really.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:39 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Nashty View Post
Only shocked by the timing really.
That's true. Leafs ownership knew the team was going to miss the playoffs again months ago, but didn't fire him until now.

I'm guessing it might have to do with Burke not wanting to pull the trigger on a Luongo deal like others have said. So they replace him with Nonis to get the deal done quickly because everything is starting up so fast after the lockout.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:47 PM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

I actually think the leafs have a good roster and under achieve. Not contender good, but 6-8 seed, sure. They just don't perform as well as they should but I do think Luongo, while still not making them contenders, would all but guarantee they make the playoffs. Adding Luongo and making a couple more tweaks could make them a dangerous team, IMO.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:48 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Rumor is Burke wouldn't give up Kadri and Gardiner for Luongo.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:51 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
I wouldn't give Gardiner straight up for Luongo.

I'd get fired for that, too, i guess.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:52 PM
Rangers Fail
free james sheppard

Quote:
Does that mean that Nonis will give them up for Luongo? Probably.

Was Nonis in VAN when they acquired Luongo? I think so.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:53 PM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Jeff Gorton will eventually be one of the better GMS in the NHL.

He had a lot to do with the Bruins Cup, if the Rangers win it, he will have had a lot to do with it here. His record speaks for its self.

Jeff Gorton needs to be the successor to Sather.
Agreed. Sather will be 70 this year. How much longer can he do this? Hopefully the Rangers win the cup, and if Sather steps down, and Gorton takes the job.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:55 PM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Does that mean that Nonis will give them up for Luongo? Probably.

Was Nonis in VAN when they acquired Luongo? I think so.
Yep. It looks like Nonis was brought in TO acquire Lu.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:08 PM
beastly115

Burke got canned? Hahahahah. I enjoyed watching him screw with that team. He made dumb move after dumb move and Leaf fans ate it up. Hilarious.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:16 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
Agreed. Sather will be 70 this year. How much longer can he do this? Hopefully the Rangers win the cup, and if Sather steps down, and Gorton takes the job.

I really hope it will be Gorton who takes over as GM, not Messier. Really don't want Messier. It would just spoil the memory of The Captain to see him fumble on the job.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:18 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Brian Burke would destroy the Rangers. He won with a team two years removed from losing game 7 in the Cup finals with Getzlaf and Perry in the pipeline. Niedermayer signed with the Ducks because of his brother. Burke couldn't find a goalie in Vancouver. He was a disaster in Toronto. He had a falling out with the Whalers owner after a year on the job. Ego manic. This guy was a major proponent of punishing teams with those long term contracts. The Luongo rule. He pushed for that. He testified in the Kovalchuk case for the NHL. Worry about your own team Brian.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:22 PM
Rangers Fail
free james sheppard

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastly115 View Post
Burke got canned? Hahahahah. I enjoyed watching him screw with that team. He made dumb move after dumb move and Leaf fans ate it up. Hilarious.
Did you see the early reactions on the Leafs board? Priceless. I'd imagine those would be our reactions of Hank got traded.

Of course this is the same fan base who says that Nazem Kadri will be a #1 center.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:23 PM
mschmidt64

Can anyone tell me how NHL Gamecenter Live works?

Is it basically the same thing as Center Ice, except just online and not through a cable provider?

I don't have cable so I can't order Center Ice. I do have internet, though, and I'd like to be able to stream the games.

I live in PA, so as a Rangers fan I think I'm far enough outside the market that none of the games would be blacked out in my area.

Are there any previous subscribers on here that might know how it works? If I sign up and pay for that, can I stream all (most?) Rangers games on my computer?

Old
01-09-2013, 03:28 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschmidt64 View Post
Can anyone tell me how NHL Gamecenter Live works?

Is it basically the same thing as Center Ice, except just online and not through a cable provider?

I don't have cable so I can't order Center Ice. I do have internet, though, and I'd like to be able to stream the games.

I live in PA, so as a Rangers fan I think I'm far enough outside the market that none of the games would be blacked out in my area.

Are there any previous subscribers on here that might know how it works? If I sign up and pay for that, can I stream all (most?) Rangers games on my computer?
You've got it pretty much figured out already. I used it last year, you can also get the app on iPhone and PS3 so you can watch on your tv.

It's nice except all NBC games are blacked out on it.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:31 PM
mschmidt64

Quote:
You've got it pretty much figured out already. I used it last year, you can also get the app on iPhone and PS3 so you can watch on your tv.

It's nice except all NBC games are blacked out on it.
Thanks. That is fine cause I can get NBC over the air.

Except the games on that NBC Sports Channel, damn them!

Old
01-09-2013, 03:39 PM
Dangleberry

If you travel frequently like I do, then you should consider a Slingbox. Buddy at work has it and it's pretty good unless your standards require 1080p HD quality at all times.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:51 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschmidt64 View Post
Thanks. That is fine cause I can get NBC over the air.

Except the games on that NBC Sports Channel, damn them!
You also won't be able to watch games when they play the Pens or Flyers if you're in the Philly or Pittsburgh region. I live in Pittsburgh and anytime they play the Pens, I have to watch it on NBC or ROOT Sports (local Pens channel).

They also blackout games that are on NHL Network.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:29 PM
DMPD
Mats, Zuke of NY

Honestly as a fellow Ranger fan in Pa who has used GCL for 3 years straight now, I will tell you it's not really worth it unless for some reason decent live streams from the GDTs suddenly go away or they don't work on your computer.

The free streams have gotten so good in sound and quality that it's as good as GCL most nights, and it is free.

Pros of GCL:

Guaranteed every Rangers game that isn't vs. Philadelphia or Pittsburgh depending on where you live, or nationally televised. (Consider this year a possible close to 25% of the schedule will fall under those 3 exceptions.)

High Quality

Archive anywhere from instantly available to 48 hours for national games.

Cons:

Expensive.

Laggy.

No Post-game shows.

You are on a 15 second to 1 minute delay and there's nothing you can do about it. (This is especially annoying for those of us following the Ranger board's GDT.)

Technical issues at times.

Blackouts.

After last year, my Dad and I decided we would never get GCL again. We had consistent high quality Streamo streams all year and the cons outweigh the pros at this point.

rip
Old
01-09-2013, 04:39 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
I really hope it will be Gorton who takes over as GM, not Messier. Really don't want Messier. It would just spoil the memory of The Captain to see him fumble on the job.
Yup. Should definitely be Gorton.

Did not expect Burke to get fired now, kind of shocking.