HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part V

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2013, 03:50 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
I'll get a ticket package, but I don't think the wife would appreciate season ticket packages!
I'm lucky: My wife is as big a hockey nut as I am and wants the season tics lol

Old
01-09-2013, 03:51 PM
mvhkyfn14t

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Aside from existing sports rivalries with Seattle teams, and aside from recognizing that Sacramento is getting the shaft to facilitate this project, and aside from worry that the Oilers may be targeted...

I really hate the groupthink here which suggests that lattitude correlates directly to hockey success. We've spent over a decade crying about how "southern" markets don't work (disregarding success like Nashville) so we foolishly try to correct that by rushing into Seattle just because it is really far north?

For a while, before this arena was a real possibility, people would constantly suggest Seattle as a potential NHL market, only to be shot down by those who had first-hand experience with the Seattle market. They will have the big three sports covered, plus the best-supported MLS team (with history dating back 40 years) and a MAJOR college program right there in town.

If the league does move into town, maybe I am proven wrong. In fact, I hope I am for the health of the NHL. I can always use another team to hate, both in this league and that city.
??? Hockey is very popular here!! Who are these people with first hand knowledge shooting down hockey and I am curious about the 40 year history with soccer??

Old
01-09-2013, 03:51 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpensfan View Post
Agreed. The Oilers are going nowhere and I would hate to see them leave Edmonton even if it was to come to Seattle (NHL will flourish here).
I think it will too.....demographically I think it's a better fit for the city than the NBA is.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:52 PM
PCSPounder

Pet theory- Gary Bettman risks sabotaging future public funds for arenas if he gives up on Phoenix. jobing isn't even 10 years old yet (I know, will be this year). It's simply a bad precedence.

Moving Edmonton would also be bad, especially now.

Would the NHL expand? Who else is a candidate to move? I'm not sure Seattle gets an NHL team this time.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:53 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
??? Hockey is very popular here!! Who are these people with first hand knowledge shooting down hockey and I am curious about the 40 year history with soccer??
JawandaPuck have already listed all the reasons why hockey will work here

Old
01-09-2013, 03:54 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
I'm lucky: My wife is as big a hockey nut as I am and wants the season tics lol
Lucky@!

Old
01-09-2013, 03:54 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
As far as I'm aware the only one shooting down hockey in Seattle was Barry Ackerley who didn't want to share an arena.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:55 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Lucky@!
She's a Devils fan though BOOOOOOO!

Old
01-09-2013, 03:56 PM
mvhkyfn14t

Quote:
JawandaPuck have already listed all the reasons why hockey will work here
Agreed. Yes he has. I do not know what 'krudmonk' is talking about. NHL will do very well here and anybody I have heard talk about it around here says the same thing.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:58 PM
EchoesoftheEighties
#Oilers2015

Honestly, as a hockey fan I would probably make a trip or two to Seattle and watch them play for sure. And I know plenty of people in Vancouver who would do the same if they can't get Nuck tickets.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:59 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Private Equity

I should say though, for the record, that although I feel that a franchise would succeed in Seattle, that with all this news I'm still holding on to tempered optimism because it is understood that any NHL franchise in Seattle (beit relo or expansion), is still not the primary goal of Hansen.

He does however, have 80 million reasons why as an incentive though, but still... NBA first, NHL = bonus

Old
01-09-2013, 04:01 PM
PCSPounder

When your local paper prints an article about "suite glut," there might be a problem. That may or may not have factored into the Sonics moving; Key Arena was pretty deficient anyway. How will Hansen fare in that environment?

Clearly, the Sonics are coming back, and I think the attendance count will work. The corporate presence also matters (if you want to know why, say, Portland never got around to NHL, it's because Paul Allen made sure the town was tied to the Rose Garden AND the Blazers for the long term). It's not a situation that will prevent the arena from being built, I'm just not sure they carry through for NHL. If they do, is it expansion (and is expansion a good idea right now)?

Old
01-09-2013, 04:02 PM
mvhkyfn14t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
I should say though, for the record, that although I feel that a franchise would succeed in Seattle, that with all this news I'm still holding on to tempered optimism because it is understood that any NHL franchise in Seattle (beit relo or expansion), is still not the primary goal of Hansen.

He does however, have 80 million reasons why as an incentive though, but still... NBA first, NHL = bonus
Agreed. I think the 80 million is the key to a NHL team coming eventually.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:02 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCSPounder View Post
When your local paper prints an article about "suite glut," there might be a problem. That may or may not have factored into the Sonics moving; Key Arena was pretty deficient anyway. How will Hansen fare in that environment?

Clearly, the Sonics are coming back, and I think the attendance count will work. The corporate presence also matters (if you want to know why, say, Portland never got around to NHL, it's because Paul Allen made sure the town was tied to the Rose Garden AND the Blazers for the long term). It's not a situation that will prevent the arena from being built, I'm just not sure they carry through for NHL. If they do, is it expansion (and is expansion a good idea right now)?
NBA already approved Key arena as a temporary facility. Its a non issue.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:09 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Hansen wants partial ownership of Hockey team so he can create a Northwest RSN like ALtitude

Old
01-09-2013, 04:11 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Cascadia Sports Network

Old
01-09-2013, 04:12 PM
gstommylee

hold your horses.

@largesteven: Source: SEA groups offer was rejected by Maloofs. Hmmm. Plot thickening by the minute.

Bleh. so its not a done deal yet.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:15 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
I was around when the Raiders left for LA and the Colts left for Indy. Here's the big difference though: After the Al Davis lawsuit the NFL makes no effort at all to keep teams in cities.....essentially owners can move on a whim. The NHL will generally fight like hell to keep teams in cities unless it's absolutely an economic impossibility of keeping them there (like Quebec and Winnipeg originally or Atlanta more recently).
Quote:
Actually I was around when Carroll Rosenbloom left LA for Anaheim and the Maras left New York for New Jersey come to think of it.
The NHL is only fighting for Phx because of the tax money involved IMO. Atlanta was much more important although that was special.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:24 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Aside from existing sports rivalries with Seattle teams, and aside from recognizing that Sacramento is getting the shaft to facilitate this project, and aside from worry that the Oilers may be targeted...

I really hate the groupthink here which suggests that lattitude correlates directly to hockey success. We've spent over a decade crying about how "southern" markets don't work (disregarding success like Nashville) so we foolishly try to correct that by rushing into Seattle just because it is really far north?

For a while, before this arena was a real possibility, people would constantly suggest Seattle as a potential NHL city, only to be shot down by those who had first-hand experience with the Seattle market. They will have the big three sports covered, plus the best-supported MLS team (with history dating back 40 years) and a MAJOR college program right there in the city.

If the league does move into town, maybe I am proven wrong. In fact, I hope I am for the health of the NHL. I can always use another team to hate, both in this league and that city.
I agree with this, but in this instance nothing is a success and we should be questioning Hamilton, my hometown, which everyone feels is a surefire win.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:27 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Softy Mahler
11 minutes ago via TweetDeck
What we r hearing from a source: Deal moving along nicely but not done. No pending announcement. Hope to have deal done by end of month

Old
01-09-2013, 04:34 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

RT @kjrmitch: This report is BS. RT @bcondotta: A Sacramento TV station reporting Maloofs rejected the Seattle deal

Old
01-09-2013, 04:36 PM
Mightygoose
I Am Groot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
hold your horses.

@largesteven: Source: SEA groups offer was rejected by Maloofs. Hmmm. Plot thickening by the minute.

Bleh. so its not a done deal yet.
I take it Hansen's group is offering no where near the reported 500 Million asking price.

I'm sure if the Maloofs are really interested in unloading the Kings, they'll find some middle ground

Old
01-09-2013, 04:38 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
@Softykjr @kjrmitch @bcondotta keep in mind Sacramento area sources want to delay a sale confirmation as tickets there remain to be sold
That is honestly a great point.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:40 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
I take it Hansen's group is offering no where near the reported 500 Million asking price.

I'm sure if the Maloofs are really interested in unloading the Kings, they'll find some middle ground

as the previous poster mention its been deemed as bogus.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:42 PM
krudmonk

Quote:
I don't know who these people are. They've posted comments here over the past 7 years, or however long I've read this forum. You seem gung-ho about it, sure, but every city has at least a niche following. How is the NHL covered in Seattle media right now?

And the Sounders were established in 1974. Obviously the history has not been continuous, but the current MLS incarnation is very much linked to the USL and NASL eras. Likewise, the new Sonics will also capitalize on their history, which gives them a huge leg up. The Coyotes or Oilers would just be nomads rolling into town, looking to crash in the new Sonics arena.

And again, I am not trying to play down your enthusiasm or that of other hockey fans there. I've just not seen that the masses are really crying out for hockey, or another sports franchise in general.

Closed Thread