Notices

Tuukka Rask’s time finally arrives .

Old
01-09-2013, 12:52 PM
Tuukka Time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Our last goalie had two Vezinas and a Conn Smythe...that's what he will be compared too. I think it's a legitimate doubt that he ever gets close to that. Bruins hockey now is how far do you go in the play-offs...not having a good year, or winning a round. The bar has been set.
To be fair to Tuukka, outside of the SC winning season, Thomas was only 13-12 in the playoffs. Hardly anything to rave about.

Tuukka Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:56 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuukka Time View Post
To be fair to Tuukka, outside of the SC winning season, Thomas was only 13-12 in the playoffs. Hardly anything to rave about.
I think you may want to rethink that.
Thomas proved himself over a decent sample size. 2 Vezinas, Cup, Conn Smythe.

While Im hoping Tuukka is the real deal. Ive seen a ******** of Bruins goalies have a single good season over the last 40 plus years.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 01:03 PM
Tuukka Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
I think you may want to rethink that.
Thomas proved himself over a decent sample size. 2 Vezinas, Cup, Conn Smythe.
There's nothing to rethink.

All I'm saying is, in response to one very specific post, if people are only going to grade Tuukka on his playoff performances going forward, then expecting SCF or ECF right away and believing that anything less is a failure because of what Tim Thomas supposedly did when he was here, then THEY are the ones that need to really look back at what Tim did in the playoffs. Thomas only won more than one playoff series ONCE in his career.

Tuukka Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 01:05 PM
Scotto74

Quote:

All I'm saying is, in response to one very specific post, if people are only going to grade Tuukka on his playoff performances going forward, then expecting SCF or ECF right away and believing that anything less is a failure because of what Tim Thomas supposedly did when he was here, then THEY are the ones that need to really look back at what Tim did in the playoffs. Thomas only won more than one playoff series ONCE in his career.
The difference is Thomas was on some pretty bad teams prior to the cup year and his numbers in the playoffs were very very good. up there with Hasek, Roy & Brodure if you go back and look. Tuukka is starting out with a much better team in front of him so he should have better numbers to start his career.

edit: numbers meaning SV% and GAA not wins.

BOSTON STRONG!!!
Scotto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 01:08 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:

Bruins are without a doubt a favorite to make the ECF....17 returning players from last year, coach in his 6th season.... To not make it (if healthy of course) is indeed a disappointment. I would hold Thomas to the same standard, just like I did last year when he didn't play his best. Are you saying a first round victory is a successful season under Rask?

Last edited by WBC8: 01-09-2013 at 01:14 PM.
WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 01:11 PM
Latrappe
Selke winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotto74 View Post
The difference is Thomas was on some pretty bad teams prior to the cup year and his numbers in the playoffs were very very good. up there with Hasek, Roy & Brodure if you go back and look. Tuukka is starting out with a much better team in front of him so he should have better numbers to start his career.

It's always a bad idea to put Thomas in the same sentence as Brodeur, Roy and Hasek. These guys are HOF material. Tim Thomas, not so much. Roy is already in...

Latrappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 01:22 PM
Scotto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latrappe View Post
It's always a bad idea to put Thomas in the same sentence as Brodeur, Roy and Hasek. These guys are HOF material. Tim Thomas, not so much. Roy is already in...
I disagree look at his career playoff numbers and you will see he is as good as them in SV% and GAA. While he didn't have the long career of the others his playoff numbers which is what the conversation is about is right on par.

Old
01-09-2013, 01:27 PM
Latrappe
Selke winner

Quote:
I disagree look at his career playoff numbers and you will see he is as good as them in SV% and GAA. While he didn't have the long career of the others his playoff numbers which is what the conversation is about is right on par.
Fair enough but still think that a larger amount of games take a toll on players, which can make them less efficient down the road. It's especially true for goaltenders since it's the toughest position on ice.

Old
01-09-2013, 01:28 PM
flannelman
default user

vCash: 920
gotta agree with Lou, here, I'm hungry - I hope the B's are, too - if they stay healthy and don't make the ECF I'll be disappointed.

The B's should smell blood in the water this year - cup is within reach, IMO.

flannelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 01:31 PM
Scotto74

Quote:
Fair enough.
just for reference while the other guys had longer careers and are the faces of goaltending, Thomas did play in 50 career playoff games which is a pretty good sample size. Its not like he played in 5-10 playoff games.

Career playoff numbers

Thomas 2.07 GAA .933 SV%
Roy 2.30 GAA .921 SV%
Hasek 2.02 GAA .928 SV%
Brodeur 2.02 GAA .921 SV%

Thats some pretty impressive number's there for all of them.

Old
01-09-2013, 01:33 PM
Latrappe
Selke winner

Quote:
just for reference while the other guys had longer careers and are the faces of goaltending, Thomas did play in 50 career playoff games which is a pretty good sample size. Its not like he played in 5-10 playoff games.

Career playoff numbers

Thomas 2.07 GAA .933 SV%
Roy 2.30 GAA .921 SV%
Hasek 2.02 GAA .928 SV%
Brodeur 2.02 GAA .921 SV%

Thats some pretty impressive number's there for all of them.
That's why they won ,at least, 1 cup. I would say that when Thomas finally cut down the bad goals ( due to a lack of focus or anything else )he was very, very good and that's the very reason why we won the Cup: he was rock solid without allowing the bad goal. That was his major flaw through the years but he finally solved it during our Cup run.

Old
01-09-2013, 01:34 PM
Scotto74

Quote:
That's why they won ,at least, 1 cup :-)
makes one wonder if Thomas got a chance when he was younger if he would be considered in the same class as the other three.

Ah what could have been.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:01 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:

You got it spot on. Certainly nothing against Tuukka but he has to prove to himself and the Bruins that he's the one going forward. One good season certainly doesn't define him and that's why I thought it was very classy of him to specifically ask for a one year contract so that he could prove himself. I thought that was awesome. he could have easily asked for and got a multi-year, multi-million dollar contract but wanted to earn it first. I love that. /random tangent

SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 02:19 PM
Latrappe
Selke winner

Quote:
makes one wonder if Thomas got a chance when he was younger if he would be considered in the same class as the other three.

Ah what could have been.
I think the younger version of Thomas was too erratic. That's why he never got an offer until MOC called him.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:16 PM
trenton1
Paille Good

This must be the first time the Bruins don't have a North American goalie in their top 3.

trenton1 is offline   Reply With Quote