HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-13: Your lineup for opening night

Old
01-09-2013, 08:38 AM
zeykshade

vCash: 500
Having watched all of the Crunch games thus far, Taormina is good. He's not as good as Barbs though.

zeykshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 08:51 AM
nhljohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeykshade View Post
Having watched all of the Crunch games thus far, Taormina is good. He's not as good as Barbs though.
Taormina is a very good AHLer but, let's face it, he's essentially a Marc-Andre Bergeron clone in terms of size and skill-set (without as heavy a shot). Does he help with the organization's depth? Absolutely. With Tampa's D, though, it's a numbers game right now and they don't look to be in his favor.

nhljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 08:53 AM
nhljohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt32 View Post
Honestly I would like to see [Kucherov] with one year in the AHL first before I call him up.
That's the plan. Well, getting seasoning in the AHL first. Don't think the organization will put a time frame on it, though. He'll go up if and when they determine he's ready.

Old
01-09-2013, 09:27 AM
nhljohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allaboard View Post
You need veterans players to win, but young guys need to play to become veterans.
The current regime has been very clear about its belief in establishing a winning culture throughout the organization and it's philosophy on handling young talent. Like it or not, Yzerman is schooled in the Red Wings way. The kids will come up when they've repeatedly demonstrated they are ready and when the room for them is there. It's as simple as that.

Quote:
I'm talking about looking to the future, not so much as what is best for this year. Thinking about the long term good of the team.
And the Lightning brain trust is balancing both of those concerns. They want to win now and win in the future.

Quote:
I feel they need to start to see what they have this season because MSL isn't getting any younger. There is also the potential to be a log jam of prospects if you don't integrate them into the lineup.
MSL may not be getting any younger, but he's still here. You're not going to bounce him from the top-6 prematurely. And so long as Stamkos, Lecavalier and Purcell are fixtures in the line-up, there's really not much room for the skill guys in Syracuse. Right now, at the most, there's two top-6 spots, if you keep pencil in Malone and Pouliot on the third-line, up for grabs. Pouliot is a solid bet to play on the third-line, hence the discussion over whether it'll be Connolly or Conacher (the two that most see as the most likely candidates for now) that gets the nod. Malone's role isn't as clear as he's been used in and outside of the top-6 in seasons past. If he's going to skate in the top-6, you're looking at one guy who's going to come up from the Crunch to play in the top-6. No matter how much we might like Conacher, Connolly, Johnson, Killorn, Palat or Panik and wish they could all be rewarded for their play down on the farm.

You don't want to promote en masse just to avoid having talent down on the farm. An abundance of prospects is a good thing. It creates depth, which breeds healthy competition, creates a cost-effective pipeline of replacements that prevents you from overspending to retain talent or lure FAs and provides assets for trade if and when they become expendable or unanticipated opportunities to bolster your roster (i.e. for a Cup run) arise.

Quote:
You need to be constantly promoting from within, you don't want anymore than a couple rookies learning the ropes at as time.
Gee, that seems especially poignant when facing a condensed season where mistakes are magnified and there isn't as much time to make up ground if you fall behind in the standing, doesn't it?

Last edited by nhljohnson: 01-09-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old
01-09-2013, 09:37 AM
nhljohnson

Quote:
I just found it somewhat ironic that a site called Bolt Prospects took the veteran route. Bizarre (if you say so ???)
It is what makes BP credible. They provided an in-depth analysis that accounted for present circumstances rather than wishful thinking. I doubt anybody is more eager than the staff at BP to see the very kids you are so insistent should be on the opening night roster, kids they've been tracking and writing about for years, don the Lightning sweater.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 01-09-2013 at 10:49 AM. Reason: unneccessary
Old
01-09-2013, 10:44 AM
Felonious Python
Still Drej

tl;dr
We could have avoided the last page with a

mod: play nice, boys. clean thread.

EE
Quote:
I'm sure not by accident - Malone-Stamkos-St Louis; Purcell-Lecavalier-Pouliot; Tyrell-Hall-Crombeen & Thompson-Pyatt consistent combos
https://twitter.com/erlendssonTBO/st...48817981071360

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:30 AM
CC321

So -
Malone-Stamkos-St Louis
Purcell-Lecavalier-Pouliot
Tyrell-Hall-Crombeen
Thompson-Pyatt

Top two lines are fine, but that 3rd line would have a hard time generating any offense.

CC321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:32 AM
zeykshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC321 View Post
So -
Malone-Stamkos-St Louis
Tyrell-Hall-Crombeen
Thompson-Pyatt

Top two lines are fine, but that 3rd line would have a hard time generating any offense.
Not sure you couldn't sub both Nacho Labrie and Killlorn in on that 3rd line and be much better off. Move Thompson to C instead of Hall. Don't know how that'd do on the PK though. Palat is much better than either defensively and far more creative than Labrie, though not as physical (not saying he isn't physical, just hard to be as physical as Nacho).

Old
01-09-2013, 11:35 AM
CC321

Malone-Stamkos-St Louis
Tyrell-Johnson-Crombeen
Thompson-Hall-Pyatt

Tyrell and Johnson together on a line would be fun to watch, no one could catch them, Crombeen the protector.

CC321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:38 AM
zeykshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC321 View Post
Malone-Stamkos-St Louis
Tyrell-Johnson-Crombeen
Thompson-Hall-Pyatt

Tyrell and Johnson together on a line would be fun to watch, no one could catch them, Crombeen the protector.
Now, Johnson does kill penalties, sees the game well and can actually provide the finish that a line including Dana "Can't hit water falling out of a boat" Tyrell, would need.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:49 AM
kisin

Cooper: "We're probably going to go from losing no guys to losing a ton of guys.''

kisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:19 PM
CupsOverCash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smellis View Post
Cooper: "We're probably going to go from losing no guys to losing a ton of guys.''
Why not see what these kids can do? This "season" is kind of a wash imo. I mean Ill still enjoy every moment of it but I cant take it 100% seriously. Why not take the best of these young kids with the best of the big group and roll 4 scoring lines. Play some 1-3-1 when they get the big lead. We can also see what Lindback is capable of with this idea.

CupsOverCash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:25 PM
Felonious Python
Still Drej

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanOberg View Post
Why not see what these kids can do? This "season" is kind of a wash imo. I mean Ill still enjoy every moment of it but I cant take it 100% seriously. Why not take the best of these young kids with the best of the big group and roll 4 scoring lines. Play some 1-3-1 when they get the big lead. We can also see what Lindback is capable of with this idea.
One of these teams is going to get their names on the cup. Why let it be someone else?

Last edited by Felonious Python: 01-09-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old
01-09-2013, 12:46 PM
Allaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
One of these teams is going to get their names on the cup. Why let it be someone else?
Because the lightning as is, are not good enough to win the cup. Look to the future play the kids......

Allaboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:56 PM
CupsOverCash

Quote:
Because the lightning as is, are not good enough to win the cup. Look to the future play the kids......
I think its anybodys game but I do want to see the right kids come up and play. If you guys remember Buffalo doing the same thing after the last lockout and they almost won it all. Of course they had Miller in net but these kids were relentless. A lot like our guys down in Syracuse. Its worth a look at some point.

Old
01-09-2013, 01:47 PM
Felonious Python
Still Drej

Quote:
I think its anybodys game but I do want to see the right kids come up and play. If you guys remember Buffalo doing the same thing after the last lockout and they almost won it all. Of course they had Miller in net but these kids were relentless. A lot like our guys down in Syracuse. Its worth a look at some point.
The season after the last lockout ended was ridiculous. Brian Gionta had 48 goals. Cheechoo had 56. Carolina and Edmonton made the final.

Old
01-09-2013, 01:54 PM
CupsOverCash

Quote:
The season after the last lockout ended was ridiculous. Brian Gionta had 48 goals. Cheechoo had 56. Carolina and Edmonton made the final.
I feel like this one could be ridiculous too. Wouldnt surprise me if we have some teams make noise who usually wouldnt. It could be that kind of year with it starting this late.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:00 PM
Felonious Python
Still Drej

Quote:
I feel like this one could be ridiculous too. Wouldnt surprise me if we have some teams make noise who usually wouldnt. It could be that kind of year with it starting this late.
I don't believe so. At least not to the same degree. There isn't the new rule package like last time.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:11 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 925
I hope some of the kids step up at the camp. No Pouliot in top6 please.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 02:27 PM
CupsOverCash

Quote:
I don't believe so. At least not to the same degree. There isn't the new rule package like last time.
Thats true. It just wouldnt surprise me since its a shorter season and teams can take advantage of that. Either way, some of our guys are ready to step up. They got a real grit and talent to their games that could really fit here and form a dangerous 4 scoring lines. I dunno, is it that they arent ready or that they we dont have the room for them? Are the guys taking their spot really worth it? Can they do that much better than our guys from Syracuse? More experienced yes but if they are ready to come up. Why not mix them in with the veterans? Maybe they will do it if they get behind in the standings.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:36 PM
Allaboard

Quote:
Thats true. It just wouldnt surprise me since its a shorter season and teams can take advantage of that. Either way, some of our guys are ready to step up. They got a real grit and talent to their games that could really fit here and form a dangerous 4 scoring lines. I dunno, is it that they arent ready or that they we dont have the room for them? Are the guys taking their spot really worth it? Can they do that much better than our guys from Syracuse? More experienced yes but if they are ready to come up. Why not mix them in with the veterans? Maybe they will do it if they get behind in the standings.
I couldn't agree with you more.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:56 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gudas View Post
If Connolly makes the team he'll be on one of the top lines, so I don't expect his minutes to be limited all that much. He has shown encouraging progress for as long as he's been a member of this organization, and given his familiarity with the system and the NHL level of play, he's a very deserving candidate to fill the hole in our top six.
Nope. That sixth forward spot is going to Pouliot.

Still All In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 03:03 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Roster space and losing contracts. Listen, what you're seeing going on in Brandon is what you're going to get, like it or not. I'm really curious if they're just going to toss Wilson to the side, too, or if he truly was just a contract spot in the Lindback trade. Guy put up respectable numbers in his third/fourth line duties with CLB.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:09 PM
Allaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
Roster space and losing contracts. Listen, what you're seeing going on in Brandon is what you're going to get, like it or not. I'm really curious if they're just going to toss Wilson to the side, too, or if he truly was just a contract spot in the Lindback trade. Guy put up respectable numbers in his third/fourth line duties with CLB.

I think you're probably right, but sure doesn't stop me from wanting to see some young guys make the jump. I think Wilson was a contract that the lightning had to take back to make the Lindback trade work, but we are about to find out.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:24 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
I think you're probably right, but sure doesn't stop me from wanting to see some young guys make the jump. I think Wilson was a contract that the lightning had to take back to make the Lindback trade work, but we are about to find out.
He was, but I think he might still be useful. Competition is a good thing.

I hear what all of you are saying too about kids like Johnson/Panik/Killorn coming up, I can't wait to see them, its going to be awesome, but there is just little to no room right now and knowing how Steve is, they'll only come up one, maybe two at a time.