HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bring one of Iginla, Perry, Ryan to Pittsburgh

Old
01-09-2013, 01:04 PM
ManByng
Moroz fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haatley View Post
iginla for despres and a 2nd
or Morrow and a 2nd
or Pouliot and a 2nd
or Maata and a 2nd

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 01:09 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Shero does want to find a winger for Crosby. I think he's said as much but I agree with those saying the defense is a bigger concern.

I think between Fleury, Vokoun or even Zatkoff they'll find a goalie to play well enough to win. Last year Fleury played horrible in the playoffs but they were stuck with him because Brent Johnson and Brad Theissen played equally terrible all year. That shouldn't be the case this season.

Niskanen Letang
Orpik Martin
Bortuzzo Engelland
Strait/Lovejoy

^ That does not look like a championship defense to me. Especially when you consider that Orpik and Martin need to have bounce back seasons after playing poorly last year and there's no guarantee they will given their ages. I think they need a very good top 4 veteran D-Man more than anything unless a top prospect like Despres comes up and plays lights out. I don't think the other top prospects like Morrow and Pouliot are ready.
Morrow arguably could play now. Pouliot obviously not. But even if a player like Morrow is ready, it brings us back to my primary objection with the whole Shero philosophy. Develope defense and trade the excess as PMD's are in such demand. People forget how cringe worthy Goligoski was when he first came up. He seemingly could not take the puck up ice without coughing the puck up and giving an odd man break the other way. Letang was only slightly better in that regard. Even great players who eventually will become valuable have growing pains. Do the Pens, who many consider to be among the cup favorites, really want to have several rookie defenders learning their craft at this stage of the maturity of the team? It seems to be a recipe for disaster.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 01:12 PM
TylerSVT*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Don't understand why the Flames wouldnt move Iginla. Yes, I understand he's been with the team since he began his career, but it's a business and the Flames should be doing what's best for the team. You guys need to rebuild and will get a premium for him at the deadline
Our owners are stupid.

IMO no one is going to trade for Iginla right now as he is a pending UFA at the end of the season. If he resigns i could see him moving to Pittsburgh for something real good (maata +)

He could always go to Pittsburgh at the deadline (unsigned) for something small. Win a cup and come back to Calgary.

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 01:59 PM
PAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
Our owners are stupid.

IMO no one is going to trade for Iginla right now as he is a pending UFA at the end of the season. If he resigns i could see him moving to Pittsburgh for something real good (maata +)

He could always go to Pittsburgh at the deadline (unsigned) for something small. Win a cup and come back to Calgary.
Iggy can still fetch quite a bit, honestly you wouldn't get much more if he was signed for more years. The only teams willing to give up assets are contenders, who will most likely be close to the cap. Imo from the Pens it would be something like:

Morrow/Maata
2nd
B-level prospect.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 02:03 PM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
Well I know people that have spoken to him, I know that he enjoys being a fixture in the community, that he loves his city, and most importantly his family is more important to him than winning a Stanley Cup. His family is deeply rooted in the city and he's content here. He's not going to uproot them to go join the Penguins, especially not while Calgary is still a competitive team (which they are).

Iginla is 35, he can play until he's 40. A lot can change in 5 years. Ask any of the recent Stanley Cup winners that and they'll tell you.
I don't believe for a fraction of a second that Iginla wouldn't consider leaving home for a couple of months in order to try and win a Cup. He could always re-sign with the Flames in the offseason and have a better team to play on because of whatever he was traded for.

Moving away for a couple of months doesn't mean you no longer care about your family or community. Even if he moved away for a couple of years doesn't mean he wouldn't come back in the offseason and at the end of his career.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 02:06 PM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
Our owners are stupid.

That is actually the perfect situation for a team like Boston who could have the Cap space to do this at the deadline but won't when next season comes.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 02:07 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
I don't believe for a fraction of a second that Iginla wouldn't consider leaving home for a couple of months in order to try and win a Cup. He could always re-sign with the Flames in the offseason and have a better team to play on because of whatever he was traded for.

Moving away for a couple of months doesn't mean you no longer care about your family or community. Even if he moved away for a couple of years doesn't mean he wouldn't come back in the offseason and at the end of his career.
It's possible, but that would only happen if the Flames are outta the playoffs at the deadline, which is unlikely.

Also, no one asks to be traded from Calgary. Players are always happy to come here and sad to go. Players often sign discount deals to stay here. Regardless of what people think of the Flames, the players are always happy to be here.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 02:08 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManByng View Post
or Morrow and a 2nd
or Pouliot and a 2nd
or Maata and a 2nd
Meh, just about any team can beat that. Youll have to do better than that I think.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 02:52 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
I can see a deal around 2 of the Penguins young defenseman plus Beau Bennett and a 1st round pick going to Calgary for Jarome Iginla.
I can't see Shero giving up that much of the future for a 35 year old pending UFA, even with everything Iginla brings to the table.

It's obviously going to cost more than Maata, but if Calgary wants what you're proposing, I can't see him coming here.

Zen Arcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 03:06 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
I'm actually pretty confident in Fleury, people on HF love to look at his playoff performance and act like that's how he has played all season every season since he has started. Fleury wasn't stellar in the playoffs but neither was his defense, you can put any goalie back there and he would have had a similar performance. Rinne, Quick, Lundqvist, it doesn't matter, when your defense falls apart, your goalie can't bail you out all the time. Marc Andre Fleury led this team to 2 Stanley Cup Finals, just last regular season before his playoff performance, he tied the franchise record in wins, 42-17-4 last season.

But everyone is entitled to their opinion I guess, I think I watch Fleury more than fans from other team who hate on him for having a .913 save percentage in the regular season and when they look at the playoffs it was all Fleury's fault, those Penguins played great and tried their hardest in front of him but he just couldn't get the job done. Lol, give me a break.
You're just blinded by your homerism then. Fleury was terrible last year against Philly.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 03:08 PM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Meh, just about any team can beat that. Youll have to do better than that I think.
^but therein lies the problem, right? Flame fans say we need more, Pens fans say it's too much....i'm glad us posters aren't running our teams or nobody would ever move!

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 03:12 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
I can't see Shero giving up that much of the future for a 35 year old pending UFA, even with everything Iginla brings to the table.

It's obviously going to cost more than Maata, but if Calgary wants what you're proposing, I can't see him coming here.
Well, I'm sure one of those prospects Shero is hell bent on keeping will make a significant impact before Crosby turns 30.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 03:23 PM
mpp9

Kennedy+Jeffrey+Pouliot+1st.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 03:24 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Well, I'm sure one of those prospects Shero is hell bent on keeping will make a significant impact before Crosby turns 30.
I'm fine with dealing some prospects, I'm not fine with dealing 3 of them and 1st for a 35 year old that might turn around and sign back in Calgary.

Depending on the prospects they're talking about, it could be the equivalent of 4 first rounders.

If Iginla were a few years younger and signed for longer things would be different, but Calgary isn't trading him in that scenario.

I also think Shero should step outside of his comfort zone a bit and take some risks, but I don't want to see him cripple the team's future either.

Zen Arcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 03:33 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
You're just blinded by your homerism then. Fleury was terrible last year against Philly.
I never said he wasn't, but like I said the team in front of him wasn't stellar either.

The way Fleury played against Philly is not how he played in the regular season, or any season and playoffs before that. He had a bad series, people seem to think he's garbage because of it. You said "I wouldn't be too confident in Fleury" I am saying that Fleury is a better goalie than he was against Philadelphia.

No homerism on my end, I can find faults in Pens players, I know they're not perfect. I've been critical of the team and their players before, but I can honestly say that Fleury gets a little too much hate and belittlement for the player he actually is and can be.

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 03:33 PM
GetThePuckOut

Quote:
^but therein lies the problem, right? Flame fans say we need more, Pens fans say it's too much....i'm glad us posters aren't running our teams or nobody would ever move!
From a Flames perspective; if the trade is gonna sting us then it's gotta sting you too. We're not gonna have our team's heart ripped out without a meaningful sacrifice from the other side.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:47 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
From a Flames perspective; if the trade is gonna sting us then it's gotta sting you too. We're not gonna have our team's heart ripped out without a meaningful sacrifice from the other side.
I mentioned this earlier in the thread. Here is how I (and other Pens fans) look at it.

Jerome Iginla is 35 years old. Our prospects and pick range from 18-21 years old.

5 years down the road we have a 40 year old Iginla announcing his retirement. And if the prospects pan out, the Flames have 2 young stud NHL defensemen, a young solid NHL winger and a prospect close to making your team that the Flames chose with the Pens 1st round pick.

What makes this future so tempting for the Penguins?

OR

We make this deal and Iginla bolts back to Calgary in the offseason, we esstentially gave 4 1st round picks for a month or 2 of Jerome Iginla.

I'm not saying the Flames shouldn't ask for a lot, I'm not saying Iginla isn't that valuable to the Flames, but if you're looking for a bunch of solid pieces to make a rebuild in one easy deal. Pittsburgh isn't the place to look.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:08 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Kennedy+Jeffrey+Pouliot+1st.
IMO, that's the ballpark for the going price.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:11 PM
Flames1217

I do believe that Pittsburgh is the place place for iginla to go to both realistically get a chance to win a cup and both compete. With Crosby Iginla would have the Center that he alway deerved to play with, and he deserves the chance to win. He has paid his due's to calgary and owes no more. I would do:

To Calgary:
Beau Bennett
Cap Dump( You guys really do not have many bad contracts, if any)
1st Round pick

To Pittsburgh:
Iginla
3rd round pick

Would Pits fans do this?

Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 04:18 PM
Sasso09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
There's no way in hell we'd give up a highly touted prospect like Maatta for someone who is approaching his final years, for such a big cap hit when the cap is coming down and we have players to re-sign which'll leave us with little to no room to improve elsewhere, it makes it a no from Pittsburgh with ease.
You can't be serious? If pens do this trade they become the overwhelming cup favorite..... Well worth it, but pens need to add

Sasso09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 04:18 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post
I do believe that Pittsburgh is the place place for iginla to go to both realistically get a chance to win a cup and both compete. With Crosby Iginla would have the Center that he alway deerved to play with, and he deserves the chance to win. He has paid his due's to calgary and owes no more. I would do:

To Calgary:
Beau Bennett
Cap Dump( You guys really do not have many bad contracts, if any)
1st Round pick

To Pittsburgh:
Iginla
3rd round pick

Would Pits fans do this?
I don't know if Pens fans WOULD do this, but, as a Pens fan, I figured that the asking price would be something like Kennedy, Bennett, 1st for Iginla.

The equally interesting question for me is this: If Iginla gives the green light to a move, then Calgary is rebuilding. And, if Calgary is rebuilding, then do they look to move Cammallerri, Bouwmeester, and even Kiprusoff at deals where Calgary retains half the cap hits? The owner is a billionaire. They can cover the money. And, if they're rebuilding, how much would the returns for Iggy, the return for Cammy where his cap his is 3M to the acquiring team, the return for J-Bo with a 3.3M hit, and the return for Kipper with a 2.9M hit accelerate the rebuild? IMO, 2013-2014 would blow for Flames fans, but that would be one fun team to watch starting as early as 2014-2015.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:19 PM
GetThePuckOut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
I mentioned this earlier in the thread. Here is how I (and other Pens fans) look at it.

Jerome Iginla is 35 years old. Our prospects and pick range from 18-21 years old.

5 years down the road we have a 40 year old Iginla announcing his retirement. And if the prospects pan out, the Flames have 2 young stud NHL defensemen, a young solid NHL winger and a prospect close to making your team that the Flames chose with the Pens 1st round pick.

What makes this future so tempting for the Penguins?

OR

We make this deal and Iginla bolts back to Calgary in the offseason, we esstentially gave 4 1st round picks for a month or 2 of Jerome Iginla.

I'm not saying the Flames shouldn't ask for a lot, I'm not saying Iginla isn't that valuable to the Flames, but if you're looking for a bunch of solid pieces to make a rebuild in one easy deal. Pittsburgh isn't the place to look.
Flames aren't the ones looking to trade Iginla though, it's the other teams looking to acquire him. Maybe 1 fan in 10 wants him traded.

BTW that's always how it goes when you trade prospects for an star player. You're not getting a HOF'er for scraps, it's gotta be a sacrifice on both sides. If it doesn't sting you to make the trade then you're not offering enough.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:28 PM
Sasso09

Quote:
or Morrow and a 2nd
or Pouliot and a 2nd
or Maata and a 2nd
Just curious... Can a pens fan break these 3 down and rank them how you value them please?

Sasso09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 04:29 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Flames aren't the ones looking to trade Iginla though, it's the other teams looking to acquire him. Maybe 1 fan in 10 wants him traded.

BTW that's always how it goes when you trade prospects for an star player. You're not getting a HOF'er for scraps, it's gotta be a sacrifice on both sides. If it doesn't sting you to make the trade then you're not offering enough.
I know Flames fans don't want him traded.

I also understand that no team will get Iginla for scraps. But the man is 35 years old with an expiring contract, you might be able to get some team to overpay but Pittsburgh isn't that team. A 35 year old Iginla isn't the type of player to sell the farm/mortgage the future on. I said this earlier, That's the kind of package you offer for a Bobby Ryan or a Corey Perry (The package I'm talking about is 2 D prospects, Beau Bennett and a 1st).

I know Pens fans want him, but each Pens fan is different, I know he would help our team, but at the same time, if I'm trading prospects with high value, I want someone younger.

I'm not even a fan of trading Beau Bennett, I'd like to keep the 1st, and I want our D prospects to develop so we know what we have with them and if we can build a solid blue line with some of them, we can put the others on the block.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:29 PM
Jesus Vitale
Formerly CPZ17

Pens hardly need another winger. and even if they got one they'd be much better off looking for another Kunitz instead of another Neal.

What they need is a Defenseman who can play D.

Jesus Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote