HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bobby Lu Part II(All Luongo Talk goes here) [Post 643: Luongo to Philly?]

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2013, 03:41 PM
The Kassian Train
228 LBS of Pain

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
It was said today that Dave Nonis is the one who did a lot of work making phone with other General Managers prior to Toronto making trades over the past few years. For example they said he and Darryl Sutter spoke for 6 weeks trying prior to Toronto and Calgary making the Dion Phaneuf trade in Janurary 2010.

So knowing that I still think any trade with Toronto and Vancouver involving Roberto Luongo will include Tyler Bozak, Nazem Kadri, and a 2nd round pick. So I think the Vancouver fans shouldn't see this change as a situation where Mike Gillis can ask for Jake Gardiner, Matt Frattin and a 1st round pick type of trade.
Any player that the Leafs have acquired have been non-elite. Phaneuf you can make an argument for, otherwise there hasn't been a player that has landed in his lap that was considered elite. So in sense yeah he has made good deals with what he's had to work with and who the Leafs have targeted.

Spector: Nonis one of the people pushing for the deal that wanted to get done. Burke thought that the new CBA, would put pressure on Gillis but it didn't and price stayed the same. Thought he could get Luongo next to nothing.
John Shannon: Not sure who's going back. Expects Luongo to be a Leaf by Sunday.

Old
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris

Chris Botta ‏@ChrisBottaNHL

Great great wording on this by gillis, read in between the lines
I would expect him to say something like that.. But when I re-read it, it almost seems like the Leafs are really involved in this and that he's still going to ask for what he wants or no deal.

Old
Cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!

vCash: 1047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
I thought the ONLY teams in on Luongo were Tor & Fla?

I guess the people that have been telling us otherwise knew nothing....
I would have said no chance Philly deals for him before the lockout but now with the compliance buyouts it would make some sense.

It will be very interesting to see how they manage their cap going forward.

Old
MJMazzarone
#AnyonebutNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty111 View Post
If this Gardiner + Kadri rumour turns out to be true. I'm done as a Leafs fan.

Management stepping in and pretending they know anything about hockey and forcing player decisions is despicable.

Done. Over. Burning my jersey's. **** hockey.
Gardiner has a lot of potential bubster. Has potential to be top 4 at least.

Old
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
I dont see why we wouldn't unless he has a terrible season. We have tons of cap space going forward.
This.

Lupul's one of those guys who's just overvalued in Toronto. Similar to how we view Bozak as the #1C, we view Lupul as a #1 LW.

Is it a good viewpoint? probably not, but it's the real viewpoint based on his role in Toronto. Vancouver isn't going to view either of those guys in the same role, so they're really not in a position to value them higher than the Leafs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
To all of those saying Nonis will not trade Gardiner, Rielly, et al., because that would go against his vision, the owners most likely told him to make a deal with Gillis for Roberto.

I very seriously doubt Nonis cares enough about Jake Gardiner to get in the way of making a good impression to the owners and securing his spot as Leafs GM for a number of years into the future.

I can almost guarantee that Vancouver will be getting their hands on one or two very valuable pieces from Toronto.
Do you really believe that the CEOs of Bell/Rogers are telling the GM of the Leafs what player personnel moves to make?

Old
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Not quite the same, mate. Luongo is a quality player who could drag you into the playoffs. Gomez is an embarrassment that shouldn't even play in the NHL.
Gomez was a 60 point C at the time ...

do you think Lu will be as solid as he is in VAN with the Leafs D in front of him

Old
01-09-2013, 03:42 PM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
I dont see why we wouldn't unless he has a terrible season. We have tons of cap space going forward.
again, the price would be an issue. What would Lupul be looking for in terms of $ and years. Maybe management feels they can better utilize that cap space on other free agents. 2013 class is looking quite good

Old
01-09-2013, 03:42 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

If Gardiner, a 1st, or Rielly are moved for Lu I'll puke.

Too steep a price and doesnt make sense for the organizations direction.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:43 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post

do you think Lu will be as solid as he is in VAN with the Leafs D in front of him
Depends on if Jake-all-star-Gardiner is coming back the other way.

Old
Bleach Clean

Quote:
To all of those saying Nonis will not trade Gardiner, Rielly, et al., because that would go against his vision, the owners most likely told him to make a deal with Gillis for Roberto.

I very seriously doubt Nonis cares enough about Jake Gardiner to get in the way of making a good impression to the owners and securing his spot as Leafs GM for a number of years into the future.

I can almost guarantee that Vancouver will be getting their hands on one or two very valuable pieces from Toronto.

In a sense, yes. Nonis would not be as attached to Gardiner as Burke is/was. Burke drafted Gardiner when he was in ANA. Nonis doesn't have that history.

It's the 1st to me. It's back on the table if it was off before.

Old
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
nt THAT bad but still bad luongo is good gomez sucks
yea now he does ... Gomez was a 60 point C at the time, with a 70 point season before that ...

+ we are also giving up Kadri apparently

Old
01-09-2013, 03:44 PM
marty111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
The Luongo will take the Leafs on a run in the playoffs and you'll have to go buy a new one...

Man fans overrate their young players. Gardiner good? Yes. Worth swearing off your allegance to your favourite team? C'mon now, get a grip.
Well you tell me, if the Canucks commonly traded guys not based on what the GM wanted by what some suits wanted, you would still be a fan?

Give me a break. I've watch this team for over 20 years and the only think I liked about this current regime was their ability to sink or swim on their own...

Now what? It was all a lie? Fire the GM if he won't do what you want? Who wants to be a fan of such a **** franchise?

Old
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
In a sense, yes. Nonis would not be as attached to Gardiner as Burke is/was. Burke drafted Gardiner when he was in ANA. Nonis doesn't have that history.

It's the 1st to me. It's back on the table if it was off before.
First should've always been on the table... just not in the context of being combined with any other significant asset.

Old
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Depends on if Jake-all-star-Gardiner is coming back the other way.
i will make sure to bookmark this post if he does end up going that way just to see that your fan base will be calling him the same thing

Old
Spazmatic Dan
The Circle of Leaf

Quote:
if we trade Gardiner it would be looked back upon as a Gomez for McDonagh deal ... book it
Nowhere near that bad (well I hope not at least as that would involve Luongo falling off the face of the Earth).

Look at the bright side though: we could all stop talking about the Kessel trade finally!

Old
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post

Adding Luongo instantly changes the organizations direction from non-playoff team to playoff threat.

01-09-2013, 03:45 PM
GoLeafsGo96

John Shannon just said he expects Luongo to be a Leaf on Sunday (First day they'll be able to trade). When Mac asked him about the Kadri and Gardiner rumour that was reported earlier Shannon looked surprised and said if that's the case then its a different scenario.

Aint gettin' Gardiner.

Old
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Adding Luongo instantly changes the organizations direction from non-playoff team to playoff threat.
by losing our best D?

Old
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
First should've always been on the table... just not in the context of being combined with any other significant asset.

Do you consider Kadri or Bozak a significant asset?

And no, based on what Dreger is parroting, I don't think the Burke was on the table before hand.

Old
IComeInPeace

Quote:

Yes.
Barring an injury, you are getting a premium asset. He is not a guy in the twilight of his career, or a guy getting by on his name.

Very simple. He, along with his teammates didn't get it done in the playoffs in terms of winning a Cup. He was scapegoated b/c he's the biggest star, making the most money. The finger(s) could and should have been just as easily pointed towards 22 and 33.

Great goalie. Then, and now.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:46 PM
Minimalist*

Quote:

Sure it does. You got Gardiner for basically nothing. Rielly makes moving Gardiner easier to swallow. Owners want the tens of millions of profits playoff revenue would bring.

It is pretty clear that you have the owners have different perspectives as to what direction makes "sense".

Old
Highlander23

vCash: 50
Quote:

Frankly, i can't stop laughing, carry on plz

Old
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:

What direction is that? I don't even think Burke knew which direction they were going in... & that was from day 1.

Old
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Sam Carchidi ‏@BroadStBull
Source: Absolutely NO truth that #Flyers have interest in Luongo.

Flyers writer.

Old
Cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!

vCash: 1047
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
again, the price would be an issue. What would Lupul be looking for in terms of $ and years. Maybe management feels they can better utilize that cap space on other free agents. 2013 class is looking quite good
Unless he bombs there is no reason not to resign him. If he continues to prove he can play effectively here why replace him with a question mark. Also we will have tons of cap space going forward. We have tons of expiring contracts in the next 2 years.

Closed Thread