HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bobby Lu Part II(All Luongo Talk goes here) [Post 643: Luongo to Philly?]

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2013, 03:54 PM
Bleach Clean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
Bob McKenzie just said there is no truth to Burke being fired because he wouldn't trade for Lu.

Bob's a nice guy. Him and Dreger both look stunned. You just have to look at the timing and the leaks from LeBrun, Cox, Mirtle and Spector. Luongo was the tipping point, not the full reason.

If Luongo had nothing to do with it, they should have fired him in August.

Old
seanlinden

Quote:
Bob McKenzie just said there is no truth to Burke being fired because he wouldn't trade for Lu.
He's bang on.

James Duthie said it best.... these 2 guys are hand-in-hand, the biggest difference between them is how they present themselves... and that's really the only logical explanation for the timing. It was done as soon as it needed to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Bob's a nice guy. Him and Dreger both look stunned. You just have to look at the timing and the leaks from LeBrun, Cox, Mirtle and Spector. Luongo was the tipping point, not the full reason.

If Luongo had nothing to do with it, they should have fired him in August.
You're still delusional about the CEO's of Bell / Rogers getting into player personnel decisions??

Bell/Rogers only closed in late August, and had there not been a season, there would've been no need to fire him.

Old
Spazmatic Dan
The Circle of Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Does ownership?
Sure doesn't seem like it. Hence why we're pissed about this rumour.

Old
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Love seeing the Leafs remain mediocre for the near future.

Old
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
yea now he does ... Gomez was a 60 point C at the time, with a 70 point season before that ...

+ we are also giving up Kadri apparently
kadri I don't care about but gardiner would hurt. However dreger is the most connected guy out there besides bobby mack and he said the rumor is kadri bozak 2nd so i'll go with that for now but don't like the gardiner talk

Old
01-09-2013, 03:55 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!

vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Does ownership?
Ownership is making tons of money. More than any other team in the league. I'm sure they see the value in long term success as well.

Old
bobbyflex

Quote:
Doubtful. He wont get that on the open market and he would know it.
nobody thought Grabovski would get 5 x $5.5

Old
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
kadri + bozak + 2nd was on the table apparently, but gillis said no.

Gillis want's a first/gardener/rielly in the deal also.

Will nonis actually cave and give it up?

Did a reporter confirm that it was on the table? I know Dreger alluded to it, but he was just guessing.

Old
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Gomez was a 60 point C at the time ...

do you think Lu will be as solid as he is in VAN with the Leafs D in front of him
I do because, like Vancouver, Toronto's defense is more geared toward offense. They need a goaltender who can maintain the fort to compliment a reckless style of play. Undoubtedly, we have a better defense but I do believe Luongo will perform at a top ten level even behind Toronto's. Consider the past two years, goaltending is what cost Toronto a playoff spot. Lu would change that.

Gomez fell apart not because of age, team dynamic or any direct fault of the Habs. He simply crashed in a way we can only speculate on how it could have occurred.

Old
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
So Leafs fans would be content going with Reimer/Scrivens this year? Seriously?
Have you seen the draft stock? It's a short season for fans. More opportunities may arise next off-season when teams are desperate to unload salary, like the Canucks would be with Luongo

Old
01-09-2013, 03:56 PM
Hi-wayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty111 View Post
If this Gardiner + Kadri rumour turns out to be true. I'm done as a Leafs fan.

Management stepping in and pretending they know anything about hockey and forcing player decisions is despicable.

Done. Over. Burning my jersey's. **** hockey.
This is a money deal, not just a hockey deal. If the Leafs actually work out a deal with the Canucks for Luongo, what ever Leaf assets go back to Vancouver, Rogers and Bell stand to make double profits with Luongo in net. Not only does Bell and Rogers make money with the Leaf's TV rights every time they make the playoffs, Rogers and Bell also own the networks those broadcasts are televised over so income from commercials come their way too.

There is no guarantee that Gillis will actually trade Luongo to the Leafs ( as a Canuck fan I hope he doesn't) but this was a smart financial move by MLSE. Add to the future profits when Luongo sets the win total record in the next couple of years and all the promo that can be made of that happening n TO by the Leafs.

Old
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
kadri + bozak + 2nd was on the table apparently, but gillis said no.

Gillis want's a first/gardener/rielly in the deal also.

Will nonis actually cave and give it up?
Well Rielly is for sure not going to be involved IMO I think he has more potential than Gardiner does. I'll go with what Maclean is saying, Gardiner and Kadri.

Old
Skead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
kadri I don't care about but gardiner would hurt. However dreger is the most connected guy out there besides bobby mack and he said the rumor is kadri bozak 2nd so i'll go with that for now but don't like the gardiner talk
Link to tweet / source?

Old
01-09-2013, 03:57 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!

vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
He's bang on.

James Duthie said it best.... these 2 guys are hand-in-hand, the biggest difference between them is how they present themselves... and that's really the only logical explanation for the timing.
Burke and Nonis combined to make all the hockey decisions before. They will now. Not much has changed internally.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:57 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
I saw that. It's also been pointed out that Burke was not on board with Nonis's viewpoint of what he would deal for Luongo. So did Burke adopt the stance of Bozak + Kadri + 2nd or bust? Or was it Nonis moving more towards what Gillis demanded, and felt that Bozak + Kadri + 2nd wasn't enough? Time will tell.
Since Nonis respects Burke I think he knows that giving up Jake Gardiner and maybe a 1st round pick is way to much for Luongo. Plus look at what Nonis gave up for Luongo when he was the Canucks GM and at that time you can say he should have given more since he was younger.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:58 PM
Minimalist*

Quote:
No, he said that he didn't think Burke was fired because of Luongo. Not that he didn't think it played a role. The entire panel insinuated that it must have been a factor.

That said, they're all just speculating. A multi-billion dollar corporation has no desire or intentions of divulging events which transpired behind closed doors to a bunch of cable television hockey analysts. Especially concerning internal affairs.

Only Burke and the suits know what happened. The suits won't talk, so unless Burke does, don't expect to hear anything. Only thing we can do is wait to see what the return for Luongo is. That will tell the story.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:58 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Burke and Nonis combined to make all the hockey decisions before. They will now. Not much has changed internally.
There is a huge difference..Burke didn't like long contracts, Nonis doesn't mind them, plus he's a huge fan of Luongo.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:59 PM
The Bored Man

vCash: 537
Quote:
That is a delusional statement.

Old
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Ownership is making tons of money. More than any other team in the league. I'm sure they see the value in long term success as well.
Ownership lost a ton of money from the lockout. Perhaps dipping into some of that juicy playoff revenue was desired?

Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
Over giving up Rielly / Gardiner / first round pick, yes, definitely.
But why waste another year with probably the worst goaltending tandem in the league? Wasting UFA years for top forwards. It's not like the Leafs are in the Oiler's age group, this is a team of prime-aged players and a fanbase starving for a playoff berth. What's holding them back is quite clearly below-par goaltending. Like it or not the Leafs are built for right now. There are no super stars in the pipeline outside of perhaps Reilly. This is the team, right now.

I don't see any of those guys in the deal personally, but I don't really get the sentiment either. Rather sink and hold onto shiny young players than succeed? That's HF mentality and not the real world.

In the real world you have to win, you have to produce. In the real world young defenceman come and go.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:00 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimalist View Post
No, he's not. It is just a title used to throw some extra severance money Burke's way. Plus as someone else mentioned, it's a smart PR move.

It is a baseless title, it happens all the time in big business. Burke no longer has any dealings with Leafs operations.

Even Bobby Mac laughed off the notion of the "senior advisor" role. Is everyone here a bunch of truck drivers? This is a normal business practice. Top guy gets let go, stays on as "advisor" or "consultant" to get some extra severance cash and ease transition and employee morale.
That is what I was suggesting when I wrote the post you were replying to, so I'm not sure where you are going with this

Old
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skead View Post
Link to tweet / source?
on TV

Old
AndMat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Well Rielly is for sure not going to be involved IMO I think he has more potential than Gardiner does. I'll go with what Maclean is saying, Gardiner and Kadri.
Maclean did not say that, it was some idiot in sun glasses, John shannon has said for a month now bozak+kadri for lou

Old
Lundface

vCash: 50
Its become quite clear Toronto fans are in favor of further tanking and picking up pieces. Hopefully your owners agree with this standpoint.

Silly them for thinking their fans would demand more from them. How can people claim Toronto is a tough market to play in? Sounds like one of the easiest places to come and collect a pay check

Old
darty

Why is everyone so convinced Luongo would waive to go to Toronto? I see zero reason why he would want to do that from his perspective.

Closed Thread