HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

American Prospect Update Thread (Part 2)

Old
01-01-2013, 02:30 PM
Xokkeu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
I am almost certain if Yan joins the NTDP then it means he will play for the US I mean why wear the US jersey for a year or two only to suit up for Russia, wouldn't make much sense. Sprong btw is Dutch. But playing hockey in Quebec atm, don't know of any strong American ties.
Well the final goal of the NDTP is to put together a U18 team, which would tie Yan to the US for what are the rules now (7 years?). I suppose he could stay there and then quit right before the tournament but that would seem fairly unlikely.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 05:00 PM
sigx15

any word as to when the camp invite list will come out, was it Feb or March last year?

sigx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 05:25 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigx15 View Post
any word as to when the camp invite list will come out, was it Feb or March last year?
It was March 8th last year. Should be around the same time I'd assume. 51 players will be invited. More info here:

http://www.usantdp.com/news_article/...rrer_id=666974

01-03-2013, 12:15 AM
AmericanDream
Gold or Bust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeandblack View Post
Yea, but it sounds like he's a dual citizen. Cagney is usually dead on when it comes to USA hockey.
his parents have residency in Philadelphia, so this could get real complicated as he could have a few countries fighting for him...I dont see why he would go for Canada as he is US and Dutch, but who knows with the way things are going.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 04:25 AM
DS1456Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
his parents have residency in Philadelphia, so this could get real complicated as he could have a few countries fighting for him...I dont see why he would go for Canada as he is US and Dutch, but who knows with the way things are going.
Spong and family are all Dutch citizens with no American or Canadian roots. This is why he is playing AA hockey in Quebec. I believe that Quebec has certain residency requirements to play AAA. I was told he was going to play in Ontario this season but his Dutch status and residency problems got in the way. Establishing citizenship in the US and Canada is not easy these days. It can take years and requires very specific length of time living in a country, work status and other criteria. I would not expect him at the USNTDP Camp and he is not eligible for the CHL Draft in Quebec since he is European.

DS1456Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:19 AM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

USHR is the source regarding Sprong's citizenship. I'd heard in the past he's not a US citizen but they seemed to be pretty sure he was from their statement. If he doesn't have either Canadian or American citizenship then he won't be able to play in the Q next year while every source I've seen indicates he intends to. Too much conflicting info at this point.

cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:54 AM
DS1456Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
USHR is the source regarding Sprong's citizenship. I'd heard in the past he's not a US citizen but they seemed to be pretty sure he was from their statement. If he doesn't have either Canadian or American citizenship then he won't be able to play in the Q next year while every source I've seen indicates he intends to. Too much conflicting info at this point.
USHR is a very good site but they have this one wrong. The entire family is Dutch. Unless Hockey Canada or USA Hockey has some sort of exception to the citizenship rule this player will not wear either jersey as part of their development programs and he will not be eligible for the Q draft in 2013.

Old
01-03-2013, 07:07 AM
DS1456Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS1456Hockey View Post
USHR is a very good site but they have this one wrong. The entire family is Dutch. Unless Hockey Canada or USA Hockey has some sort of exception to the citizenship rule this player will not wear either jersey as part of their development programs and he will not be eligible for the Q draft in 2013.
Another HF Boards thread to read. WOW.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1178427

Old
01-04-2013, 02:00 PM
William H Bonney

Keith Tkachuk's oldest son Matt (late '97 and thus 2016 draft eligible) just committed to Notre Dame. He's apparently pretty good and I'm sure he's on the NTDP radar.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 08:41 PM
AmericanDream
Gold or Bust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS1456Hockey View Post
his father is American and has residence in the US from everything I have heard about him..seems this kid is kind of an enigma with where he/family is from...would be a shame if he truly had no US blood ...

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:06 PM
canuck2010

I posted this earlier on the U17 thread.

As a Canadian it really hurts to see all of the off spring of Canadian NHL players playing for the USA. I understand they are Americans born and bred but it is unfortunate that so many Canadians have to leave home to make a living in the NHL.

Imagine the offspring of Peyton Manning, Ray Rice, and Tom Seaver playing for Canadian national teams

Overall great for hockey I guess.

canuck2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:30 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck2010 View Post

As a Canadian it really hurts to see all of the off spring of Canadian NHL players playing for the USA. I understand they are Americans born and bred but it is unfortunate that so many Canadians have to leave home to make a living in the NHL.

Imagine the offspring of Peyton Manning, Ray Rice, and Tom Seaver playing for Canadian national teams

If I were Canadian, I wouldn't see it as unfortunate that they have to leave home for NHL careers but that they don't seem to want to come back to Canada when they're done.

But as you said, most of those kids are American through and through. In countries like ours with so much immigration it's not a surprise. The circumstances make it more constant given Canada's unrivaled passion for hockey but the shoe is often on the other foot, too, in other sports. It's only natural in an increasingly globalized world.

Old
01-06-2013, 12:02 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:

They are born in raised in the US. I'm sure they have a decent connection to Canada through family members, but the majority of them spent most of their life in the US. It's not particularly surprising that they want to play for the US team.

I'd actually be thrilled if other countries could produce NFL quality players.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:25 AM
orangeandblack

Quote:

This can happen for any career field, to any country, its just the way things work.

I live in Philadelphia, just about every former Flyer stays in the South Jersey area, because they love living there. You rarely hear about a player that retired as a Flyer, move back to where they are originally from.

Its not necessarily the offspring, but the coaching that has benefitted the US kids. There are so many Canadian and European former hockey players sprinkled around the country that moved here to play AHL or ECHL, or even NCAA and stayed. These guys are still making a living coaching and training. This has much more of an effect on a bigger scale then a few offspring born here. They are influencing 1000s of kids, not just their own.

orangeandblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:00 PM
canuck2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
If I were Canadian, I wouldn't see it as unfortunate that they have to leave home for NHL careers but that they don't seem to want to come back to Canada when they're done.

But as you said, most of those kids are American through and through. In countries like ours with so much immigration it's not a surprise. The circumstances make it more constant given Canada's unrivaled passion for hockey but the shoe is often on the other foot, too, in other sports. It's only natural in an increasingly globalized world.
Lot's do come back even if for only a portion of the year. When you essentially make your life somewhere else that's where you belong. You leave Canada as a late teen or 20 year old what do you go back to. How can you pick up and leave?

canuck2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 10:06 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeandblack View Post
This can happen for any career field, to any country, its just the way things work.

I live in Philadelphia, just about every former Flyer stays in the South Jersey area, because they love living there. You rarely hear about a player that retired as a Flyer, move back to where they are originally from.
OT but does it ever stop raining in Philly?

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:41 PM
William H Bonney

Anthony Stolarz left UNO for the London Knights. I don't understand that one. He's very raw and will need the time to develop he'd get in the NCAA. Either way, best of luck to Anthony.

Old
01-09-2013, 09:43 AM
bradrich99

Quote:
Keith Tkachuk's oldest son Matt (late '97 and thus 2016 draft eligible) just committed to Notre Dame. He's apparently pretty good and I'm sure he's on the NTDP radar.
I have seen that team play in a couple of tournaments and can attest that he is good. That team has several top notch players to keep an eye on.

bradrich99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 03:10 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradrich99 View Post
I have seen that team play in a couple of tournaments and can attest that he is good. That team has several top notch players to keep an eye on.
Who does Matt Tkachuk play for? Thanks.

Garyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 04:29 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
Who does Matt Tkachuk play for? Thanks.
St. Louis Blues Midget Minor

Old
01-10-2013, 01:33 PM
Exit Dose

Trocheck will finish out the season with Hartman and Noesen in Plymouth.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 03:16 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
St. Louis Blues Midget Minor
Thank you kindly, William.

Garyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:29 PM
razor ray

After winning the World Juniors, as well as reviewing hockey enrollement in the USA, I'm really surprised how few Americans are in the top part of the ranking. In the Midterm Ranking for the North Americans Skaters here is what is looks like for the top 40:

#1 Jones
#13 Ernie
#20 Compher
#21 McCoshen
#25 Hartman
#28 Lodge
#31 McCarron
#32 Hurley
#36 Pesce
#37 Bailey

Of the top 19 players:
15 Canadians
2 Americans
2 International

To me having only 2 Americans in the top 19 is really not that great. It seems like the last few drafts the American numbers for top tier players is getting worse, not better.

razor ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:55 PM
Daneurism

The 97s and 98s look very good, though.

Daneurism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:37 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Anthony Stolarz left UNO for the London Knights. I don't understand that one. He's very raw and will need the time to develop he'd get in the NCAA. Either way, best of luck to Anthony.
Massa came back and Anthony probably knew he was 3rd on the depth chart until Faulkner graduates.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote