HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Ilya Kovalchuk to play in Russia - KHL Lockout Thread Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2013, 04:11 PM
apice3*

vCash: 500
With all due respect, Jay Grossman doesn't give a **** about what any of us think of the situation.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:12 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
Um, did he sign a contract with the NHL, or the New Jersey Devils?

Who have only bent over backwards for him as they got nailed for trying to squeeze his $100M in (which he would not sign without), and then had to ram through a second contract the same way, which caused a full blown *labor negotiation* for ONE PLAYER. Then after that, he still waffled about coming over.

That cost the team money and draft picks. Then a month into the deal, because the coach was mean to him, he wants out, and his MOM has to get him to honor his deal? C'mon.

Now you have this ******** and you say it's because of the lockout, well what the **** do the Devils have to do with that? Hell, no one was sure they even had an owner until a couple of days ago, and he's a pariah with the league. The players themselves had very little to say (of course, other than Kovy).

And you say it would be okay for him to walk under those circumstances? The Devils have bent over backwards for this guy time and time again, so if he doesn't show, what do we add to the cost of that? Damage to the product on the ice, finanicial damage, more hockey asset damage in order to get a player to replace him?

It's not going to fly. If he's not there for the first game, the Devils, for all they've done for him, they would have had it paid forward in spades and they deserve to do whatever it is in their power to make him suffer for it.

The end. Yeah, they got one tangible thing out of the deal, but other than that, it's the gift that kept on giving. There's another guy they could have signed starting on 7/1/10, but I won't get into that.

He's got to show up, and if he doesn't, he'll be one of the biggest ingrates in professional sports history.
I agree with most of what you said, but the part about the coach being mean to him.

A month more of Maclean (Which he was already kept for at least a month longer than he should have been there anyway) And I wouldn't have been surprised to see Kovy flipping out at him on the bench Patrick Roy style. I don't think it's a stretch to say these two men disliked each other to the extent of Roy, and Tremblay.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:14 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
With all due respect, Jay Grossman doesn't give a **** about what any of us think of the situation.
Yes, and with that please don't email the guy. In the event Kovy really does bail, then go ahead with it. Until then just leave the guy alone.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:17 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Grossman wants him back worse than we do He probably loses millions in commission if Kovy's contract gets voided and Kovy negotiates a Russian deal through the European agent.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:18 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Kovalchuk is hockey jesus in Russia. Why wouldn't he play in the KHL ASG? I wouldn't be surprised if Medvedev BEGGED him to play. He's a household name. He will be back for and will play in the first NHL game of the season.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:20 PM
KovalchukFistPump

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
Kovalchuk is hockey jesus in Russia. Why wouldn't he play in the KHL ASG? I wouldn't be surprised if Medvedev BEGGED him to play. He's a household name. He will be back for and will play in the first NHL game of the season.
I could see Kovalchuk really wanting to play in the all star game but Lou and Devils brass being adamant about him being back and un-jetlagged for the start of training camp. Wouldn't be good for his prospects as captain of the team but I could see how he isn't in a hurry to come back to the league that has locked him out for the second time in his career.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:20 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Grossman wants him back worse than we do He probably loses millions in commission if Kovy's contract gets voided and Kovy negotiates a Russian deal through the European agent.
Yup this is true too I believe.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:24 PM
Captain Kulador
yay hockey

I can't believe people are in panic mode over this.

The Media has made this a circus and instead of the story being "Kovy looks to honor fans in KHL ASG" it's "Kovy might stay in KHL forever" based on some ****ing quotes out of context and random Russian twitter users. **** sakes get a grip folks he's coming back.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:25 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KovalchukFistPump View Post
I could see Kovalchuk really wanting to play in the all star game but Lou and Devils brass being adamant about him being back and un-jetlagged for the start of training camp. Wouldn't be good for his prospects as captain of the team but I could see how he isn't in a hurry to come back to the league that has locked him out for the second time in his career.
His contract is here, in New Jersey. If he wants the money that took so long to secure, he will be here. He is one of the faces of Russian hockey. He is going to play in the all-star game out of charity.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:36 PM
Unknown Caller

Quote:
While I agree with you and Grossman probably wants him back badly, I don't think he would lose any money. Kovy would still have to pay him whatever percentage they agreed to when he signed for $100 mil.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:37 PM
Jersey Fresh
Video Et Taceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Kulachuk View Post
I can't believe people are in panic mode over this.

The Media has made this a circus and instead of the story being "Kovy looks to honor fans in KHL ASG" it's "Kovy might stay in KHL forever" based on some ****ing quotes out of context and random Russian twitter users. **** sakes get a grip folks he's coming back.
The issue is all it takes is one 5 second statement and the 'panic' goes away. Instead, all we're getting is a series of empty, ambiguous answers to questions that aren't all that complicated.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:41 PM
Unknown Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Fresh View Post
The issue is all it takes is one 5 second statement and the 'panic' goes away. Instead, all we're getting is a series of empty, ambiguous answers to questions that aren't all that complicated.
Exactly. People aren't worked up over a random reporter's twitter. We've had comments from Kovy, Grossman, Lou, and Medvedev. Every one is cryptic when they could easily just say he was coming back. Do you really think Lou hasn't been contacting him? If Kovy was definitely coming back when the agreement was signed, someone would have said it by now. Instead its all ambiguous ********.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:42 PM
guyincognito

Quote:
Grossman has $4M on the line, it's going to be like an episode of Arliss with him. If you email him, you're not telling him anything he doesn't already know. Possibly just drawing him closer to suicide.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:51 PM
apice3*

I'm not 100% sure of the time zone difference, but isn't the KHL all star game (Sunday in Russia) at practically the same time as the player vote (Saturday in North America?) Has no one realized this?

Old
01-09-2013, 04:51 PM
davebenj

Ughh, I hated Arliss. I know so many who liked that show.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:55 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
I'm not 100% sure of the time zone difference, but isn't the KHL all star game (Sunday in Russia) at practically the same time as the player vote (Saturday in North America?) Has no one realized this?
The player vote only recently (as in the last few hours) got switched from tomorrow-Friday to Friday-Saturday. He's basically off the hook now as far as the All-Star game - probably why Datsyuk changed his mind too - but we'll see how quick he gets back after that.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:57 PM
OOOOIIIO
Binary

Quote:
The player vote only recently (as in the last few hours) got switched from tomorrow-Friday to Friday-Saturday. He's basically off the hook now as far as the All-Star game - probably why Datsyuk changed his mind too - but we'll see how quick he gets back after that.
Thats not exactly true. The date was always in limbo until the NHL actually ratified on their end. I was reading twitter rumors as early as Monday that PA voting may go to Saturday.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:59 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brovalchuk View Post
Thats not exactly true. The date was always in limbo until the NHL actually ratified on their end. I was reading twitter rumors as early as Monday that PA voting may go to Saturday.
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
Update from NHLPA: vote is now expected to be held Friday-Saturday, no longer Thursday-Friday

That was just two hours ago. It may have been known internally it would be Friday-Saturday, but 'we' didn't know that until after NHL ratification as you said.

Old
01-09-2013, 05:04 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Here's a question about the player votes.

They only need 50%+1 to pass right? Suppose the vote is overwhelmingly in favor to vote yes that they don't even bother counting the rest of the votes, and it's all worked out early?

Also KHL's season ends before ours does right?

Old
01-09-2013, 05:04 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

It's only 600-700 votes. It's only going to take a couple minutes

Old
01-09-2013, 05:06 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBoyJPP View Post
It's only 600-700 votes. It's only going to take a couple minutes
This is what I figured, and if they already get the votes needed early in the counting, then it could be official earlier than expected.

Though I'm not sure everyone votes at the same time. I'm thinking it gets sent to them via email, and they vote or something.

Old
01-09-2013, 05:08 PM
VaxjoDevil

Don't ask me how I know this, but Kovy has confirmed he will be back.

Old
01-09-2013, 05:09 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Yeah everyone's not going to vote at the same time, and they might not even get the 'memo of understanding' until late Friday so it'll probably run into Saturday either way.

Old
01-09-2013, 05:10 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Here's a question about the player votes.

They only need 50%+1 to pass right? Suppose the vote is overwhelmingly in favor to vote yes that they don't even bother counting the rest of the votes, and it's all worked out early?

Also KHL's season ends before ours does right?
I think there's only like 700 players in the league and it's all done electronically so it won't take long. But I don't think it becomes official until a deadline (midnight I guess?) or until all the voters cast their vote. When Obama won this past election, it wasn't official until Florida's votes were sorted even though he already got the majority of electoral college votes.

Old
01-09-2013, 05:11 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaxjoDevil View Post
Don't ask me how I know this, but Kovy has confirmed he will be back.
Source PLZ!

He never confirmed, but that Igor Eronko guy did. He hasn't spoken on twitter at all today.

Closed Thread