HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bobby Lu Part II(All Luongo Talk goes here) [Post 643: Luongo to Philly?]

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2013, 06:02 PM
Numbers

vCash: 500
If Luongo comes to Toronto and they send good value, it really mirrors what happened in 2004-2005 CBA negotiations. Players (Toronto) cracked and appointed Ted Saskins (Nonis) to get the deal done with the league (Vancouver).

Old
vcanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Mayhew View Post
McCown or McKenzie, I wonder who to trust
McKenzie is one of the most overrated of all the 'insiders'

Everytime he gets beat by Lebrun and Dregger and the SPN ppl.

It reminds me of the Hodgson deal to Buffalo, he hadnt said ANYTHING connecting or speculating that theres a trade in the work with Van and Buf, but when they announced the deal, he started talking about he heard 'rumblings' about it and that the Canucks were looking at Kassian.

pfft

Old
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
The leverage has definitely taken a hit, but Nonis is no pushover. We'll see.
I wouldn't call him a pushover, but he has paid big in trade before. He won't back out because of risks involved, but we really are just speculating here. We don't know what was going on with Burke, or Nonis, or Gillis, or MLSE, or anyone really.

Old
bobbyflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
An offensive minded center. He's not perfect, but I'd much rather him over Bozak.
Grabo straight up?

Old
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Got to love those Canuck "fans" in Surrey

Old
01-09-2013, 06:03 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckless View Post
Gardiner is the perfect fit in vancouver..

The Sedin Twins, Schneider.. roll red roll!
He is the perfect fit in Toronto too. We aren't trading him.

Old
Jerkini

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
link?
It was on TSN Radio within the last hour or so. He was pretty emphatic about it, too.

Old
Badger Mayhew

Quote:
link?
He said it on TSN.

Old
Vorkosh

We've had to look at the facts here...

The timing with everything and just the between the lines sort of stuff.

It's been confirmed by multiple sources that a main reason that Burke was let go was because he was unwilling to pull the trigger on a Luongo deal that his aides and people close to him were pushing him to do.

Okay, well we know that Burke was not willing to give up the following Gardiner, 1st round pick, Kadri

We know that because burkes aides and lieutenants were urging him to do the deal, that means they wanted to do the deal. One of these people is Nonis.

Nonis is now in charge. Meaning, Nonis is willing to deal either Gardiner, 1st round, Kadri

So.. at least one of these peices is coming to Vancouver at a minimum. Gillis wants to win now as he's prepping the Canucks for a Stanley or bust year. So the first is probably out.

Kadri isn't quite NHL ready, and when Kesler comes back there really isn't a spot for him just yet, especially if Malhotra returns to be a 60% FO guy.

So.. Gardiner is the best bet, but Gardiner also doesn't make sense unless Gillis has a seperate deal to bring back an impact player for someone like an Edler or Ballard, or both.

Old
01-09-2013, 06:04 PM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
It was on TSN Radio within the last hour or so. He was pretty emphatic about it, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Mayhew View Post
He said it on TSN.
beautiful. i'm relaxed now

Old
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the Nucks want Reimer/Scrivens as part of the deal? Going with a first-year starter and Lack as the backup seems nervewracking to me, but maybe I'm under-rating lack.

Reimer+Bozak+____
Is going with a first-year starter + Lack as back up nervewracking?

Yes.

Do either Reimer/Scrivens make it better?

Not really.

Old
MikeK

vCash: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
The guy who is suggesting that that is the likely return says Burke was fired because of how he presented himself publicly not because he wouldn't trade for Lu.
Dreger and Bobby Mac both say he was fired for the same reason.
Yeah that sounds like Burke. Still though, why allow him to go to draft or trade Schenn if you didn't like what you were seeing? Wouldn't you make the change sooner instead of a week before camp on a shortened season? I still believe the Luongo situation was a factor. I think the board wants Luongo before the season starts. They want playoffs.

Old
01-09-2013, 06:05 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
I'm sorry to say, but if you follow major corporations firing high level executives, the resulting senior advisor position is just for title. Look no further to Apple's Inc. firing of Scott Forstall and then giving him a advisory position. In many cases they keep the executives on payroll as advisor for the sole purpose of not letting competition get their hands on them in the short term. I doubt that Burke has any say anymore and he is probably so mad he does not want to either. Bell and Rogers, own the Maple Leafs, and like I said they are running it like a typical major corporation. Very typical.
Strongly agree with this. If MLSE fires Burke - they must pay him out the remainder of his contract, and he's free to take any job he wants as soon as tomorrow.

As I understand it, by making him a "senior advisor", if another team want to make him to be part of their mgmt team, the Leafs wouldn't be on the hook for any salary (assuming Burke is making the same or more on his new job).

Old
var

Quote:
I think based on history, Burke and Nonis are diametrically opposed in how they view goaltenders. This is why I think Burke was against paying what was necessary for Luongo, and Nonis is on the other side. It remains to be seen if Nonis himself pays the price, but based on history, they value goaltenders differently.
Well, Lu's value is about as clear as anyone's value having been a consistent performer year after year. The discrepency is likely in Gardiner's value.

Old
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post

Is a non-starter or was? Because McCowan and Maclean think he's involved.

Old
01-09-2013, 06:06 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
An offensive minded center. He's not perfect, but I'd much rather him over Bozak.
The Canucks already have to centers way better than Grabs to do the scoring. Bozak is much better suited for a bottom line role, besides, the offer is ridiculous enough as it is.

Old
01-09-2013, 06:07 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkosh View Post
We've had to look at the facts here...

The timing with everything and just the between the lines sort of stuff.

It's been confirmed by multiple sources that a main reason that Burke was let go was because he was unwilling to pull the trigger on a Luongo deal that his aides and people close to him were pushing him to do.

Okay, well we know that Burke was not willing to give up the following Gardiner, 1st round pick, Kadri

We know that because burkes aides and lieutenants were urging him to do the deal, that means they wanted to do the deal. One of these people is Nonis.

Nonis is now in charge. Meaning, Nonis is willing to deal either Gardiner, 1st round, Kadri

So.. at least one of these peices is coming to Vancouver at a minimum. Gillis wants to win now as he's prepping the Canucks for a Stanley or bust year. So the first is probably out.

Kadri isn't quite NHL ready, and when Kesler comes back there really isn't a spot for him just yet, especially if Malhotra returns to be a 60% FO guy.

So.. Gardiner is the best bet, but Gardiner also doesn't make sense unless Gillis has a seperate deal to bring back an impact player for someone like an Edler or Ballard, or both.
No it hasn't. Most are saying it was because the incoming corporations didnt like the way he handles himself publicly.

Old
01-09-2013, 06:08 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
Got to love those Canuck "fans" in Surrey
I find it funny more then anything lol

Old
01-09-2013, 06:08 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Grabo straight up?
Sorry boss, I like the enthusiasm, but we're talking a longer (but not as long as Lu's) contract at 5.5 for what amounts to a third line center...plus I think Lu is a hell of a lot better a player then Grabo.

If we added Kadri, or a similar piece, and inserted Grabovski in place of Bozak, I think I could work with that.

How ever, his contract for the role he'd play creates...significant problems starting next year.

Old
01-09-2013, 06:09 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Who cares what McCowan thinks? He isnt an insider. He isnt even really a hockey guy.

Old
01-09-2013, 06:09 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
He is the perfect fit in Toronto too. We aren't trading him.
If you listen to Nonis he says we have some choices on players, we have some players on contracts. That sounds a lot centred around Lupul. Really I think Toronto should keep Lupul and Gardiner, but send different value. They have lots of wingers, so send one of those, got lots of prospects so send one of those, add a pick and maybe a depth center.

Kulemin, Kadri, Bozak, 1st

For

Luongo, Raymond

At this point I think this looks a lot more fair then before. No Gardiner, no Lupul, no key core players. Raymond makes up for Kulemin on 3rd line.

Old
01-09-2013, 06:10 PM
MikeK

vCash: 145
Quote:
If you listen to Nonis he says we have some choices on players, we have some players on contracts. That sounds a lot centred around Lupul. Really I think Toronto should keep Lupul and Gardiner, but send different value. They have lots of wingers, so send one of those, got lots of prospects so send one of those, add a pick and maybe a depth center.

For

Luongo, Raymond

At this point I think this looks a lot more fair then before. No Gardiner, no Lupul, no key core players. Raymond makes up for Kulemin on 3rd line.
Throw in Ballard

Old
01-09-2013, 06:10 PM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

Quote:

For

Luongo, Raymond

He really in no way does. He cant replace Kulemin's physical edge and I doubt he will replace his offensive role either

Old
01-09-2013, 06:11 PM
Jerkini

Quote:
Someone on the panel asked him if he (Bob) would use Gardiner as a piece in a trade for Luongo. McKenzie answered in the negative. I don't think he meant to imply that the Leafs or Nonis wouldn't put him in play. But I think McKenzie answeringin the way he did tells you a lot about Luongo's value moving forward.

Old
01-09-2013, 06:11 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
It would've been totally unnecessary had the lockout lasted a full year.
So then you fire him next off-season and you have the same media circus. Just delaying the inevitable which according to Anselmi, isn't their style. You're grasping at straws, big time.

Closed Thread