HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 01:18 PM
RED ARMY EAST

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
UNB has plenty of fire power as it is....and MacDougall is much better defensively/killing penalties than said player, and is one of their better face-off guys. Although I do agree, I would like to see him use his size more.
Replay the Western game at Nationals last year and ask yourself again?
5 on 5 , makes the team weaker!

Old
01-06-2013, 03:17 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Lacoste

Fullerton played both games on the weekend, maybe Lacosta is suffering from an injury of some kind.
Lacosta was the better of the two during the first half. What kind of an impression has Tim Priamo made in his 4 games in a V-Red uniform? When Kidd is healthy,what happens to Priamo? Is Denny no longer in the mix??

Old
01-06-2013, 03:46 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

From what I hear LaCosta is suffering from a minor injury and could have played if absolutely necessary....but if that was the case I am surprised he wasn't dressed as the back-up at least. If Fullerton went down they could have been in trouble, unless they felt playing part of a game with their 3rd stringer was a better option than having LaCosta potentially injure himself more.

As for Priamo...I thought he looked pretty good out there, especially considering he was only playing his 3rd and 4th games. I wouldn't be surprised they go with the same defence they had this weekend for the rest of the season (barring injuries of course). If it came down to it I think I would rather see Denny than Kidd out there.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:57 PM
gleanerguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
From what I hear LaCosta is suffering from a minor injury and could have played if absolutely necessary....but if that was the case I am surprised he wasn't dressed as the back-up at least. If Fullerton went down they could have been in trouble, unless they felt playing part of a game with their 3rd stringer was a better option than having LaCosta potentially injure himself more.

As for Priamo...I thought he looked pretty good out there, especially considering he was only playing his 3rd and 4th games. I wouldn't be surprised they go with the same defence they had this weekend for the rest of the season (barring injuries of course). If it came down to it I think I would rather see Denny than Kidd out there.
MacDougall was pretty tight-lipped on Lacosta injury because I wondered same thing...why he didn't at least back up just in case. MacDougall said he skated Saturday morning. Said it wasn't the groin but quickly changed the subject.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:34 PM
Rob

They do miss Denny's big shot on the point.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:28 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
Itinerary for the Russia Red Stars Tour.

23 December, at Cambridge (Massachusetts)
Red Stars vs. Atlantic Junior League Selects (USA Hockey Tier III Junior A)
Win 11-2

27 December, at West Point, New-York
Red Stars vs. West Point Military Academy (NCAA-D1 Atlantic Hockey)
Win 6-2

28 December, at New Heaven, Connecticut
Red Stars Yale University (NCAA-D1 ECAC)
Loss 10-2

30 December, at St John, Canada
Red Stars New Brunswick University (CIS AUS)
Loss 7-3

31 December, at Fredericton, Canada
Red Stars New Brunswick University (CIS AUS)
Loss 5-2

2 January, at Providence, Rhode Island
Red Stars vs. Brown University (NCAA-D1 ECAC)
Loss 7-1
To close out this story - the Red Stars ended their road trip last Thursday night in Boston vs Brown with a loss. Last year's team looked to be a bit more competitive, but a fun event none the less.

Their road-trip record is 2-4-0 (25:33)

There record last year was 1-5-0 (18:23); a win over Vermont(6-1) and loses to North Dakota(5-1), Yale (6-4), North. Michigan (3-2), Notre Dame (2-1) & UMass-Lowell (6-4)

Old
01-06-2013, 08:42 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Fullerton's 19th

Travis's shutout vs DAL was his 19th career shutout.

He leads all UNB goalies, the next best is Reg Bourcier with 8.

Travis is the only UNB Goalie to have a shutout in Regular Season, Playoffs and Nationals.

As for Lacosta, I heard he was hit by puck in practice and could have played, but what if he 'had' to play and makes the injury worse - then you lose the game and two goalies. I suspect they went with someone who is healthy and expendable (if you lose - you lose, but at the expense of one goalie not two).

Last edited by Drummer: 01-06-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old
01-09-2013, 04:36 PM
FreddtFoyle

Geordie Wudrick is tweeting that this is his last evening in Fredericton, and he's heading back home for good starting tomorrow.

Too bad it didn't work out for him with the V-Reds. He had a ton of potential and is a really nice kid.

Old
01-09-2013, 06:00 PM
WilcoxHound

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
Geordie Wudrick is tweeting that this is his last evening in Fredericton, and he's heading back home for good starting tomorrow.

Too bad it didn't work out for him with the V-Reds. He had a ton of potential and is a really nice kid.
Another fatality of McDougall's overrecruiting to keep players from attending other schools.

Old
01-09-2013, 06:02 PM
Rob

He was obviously expecting more ice time. If there were no academic issues I wouldn't be surprised to see him turn up at another University.

Would like to have seen him stay for depth purposes,

Old
01-09-2013, 07:43 PM
AUS Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilcoxHound View Post
Another fatality of McDougall's overrecruiting to keep players from attending other schools.
Gardiner would never do that.....

How dare you???

Old
01-09-2013, 07:52 PM
AUS Fan

I would guess he saw the writing on the wall. With Campbell coming back, and a new D-man who may free up Todd to go back to forward......Who will be charting face-off again?

Old
01-09-2013, 10:11 PM
gleanerguy

Could have crossed the campus and got all the ice time he could handle...

Old
01-09-2013, 11:30 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilcoxHound View Post
Wudrick was a legitimate prospect. He had high expectations coming in (40+ goals in the CHL) but he just never produced.

Old
01-10-2013, 05:08 AM
STUTOMMIES

I don't know what you guys are talking about.

a. ice time doesn't matter to players, being on a winner matters.
b. who cares if you sit on the bench, you are at UNB, the finest academic university in Canada
c. OBVIOUSLY the guy has a screw loose because if he would have been more patient he would have made the AHL when his time is Squirrelland was complete.

Oh well. I'm sure the "next" one will be coming around the mountain soon enough.

Old
01-10-2013, 07:56 AM
AUS Fan

No need to be that sarcastic...... I think the point has been made in several previous posts.....

Old
01-11-2013, 12:09 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

G. Wudrick Leaves

I'm sure every player wants more ice time, but the team obviously saw something that led them to place him in the stands. He did play 14 of 16 in the first half, so he had his chances to play.

Also, the team does have a few spare skaters; Salituro and Wudrick being the top two forwards on this list now with the addition of Campbell. Maybe he didn't like being in that spot (having to wait for an injury so you can play)

Where is Gordie to play on UNB - there are no spots on the first two lines and the third line is now Campbell, Critchlow and Brae leaving the forth line as TMac, Houde and Fillier. I don't think the staff are going to sit a 5th year guy in Fillier, Houde is too fast and the line's role is a Defencive line which is not Gordie's role so replacing TMac is not an option). So, which guy do you replace on the 3rd line?

Also, who said that a guy had to play every game or every shift (despite there past success)? Why can't a player wait until some seniors have left (we lose Campbell, Swan, Pridam for sure and probably 2 others to graduation). This now becomes a perception issue - is he better than x? Unfortunatly in a 28 game season, there is little time to experiment with new lines.

Some of this is also expectations and delivery. Gordie had flashes of brilliance when he used his size and controlled the game, but they were sporadic. I agree, he had a 40 Goal season with Kelowna (ended with 59 pts in 71 games) but was only +5. Your plus rating has to be half of your pts to be top player (and before someone points it out - TMac and Fillier have minus ratings which is not good, but is a reflection of the role they play).

I wish him the best and hope he continues with school somewhere else. As Gleaner Guy pointed out - he could have transferred to STU and started to play after Christmas next year (or any school for that matter).

Old
01-12-2013, 05:39 AM
cishockeyfan

Its amazing in January of 2012 UNB Added two players who tied for the lead in the WHL in goals with 43 which is arguably Canadas strongest Junior League, the expectations were very high, never player panned out, with Wiebe leaving after a half season, not playing in Nationals, and Wudrick playing once in a blue moon in a year.

Wudrick is proof stats aren't everything, he may have score 43 Goals in the WHL, but he only had 16 Assists. That shows he was parked in front of the net and capitalized on tip ins, garbage goals and power play time, he did not control or carry the puck a lot wash not a brilliant passer and not a great skater.

However Without being able to make a top 6 forward role with UNB, Wudrick was not the checking line type of player, he continued to be a good sport and support his teamates from the stands, but in the end the addition of Campbell pretty much was a message to Geordie saying sorry kid your out, and ultimately his heart is still out in BC.

Its too bad hes a super nice Guy, sure we wont notice his absence now, but if the varsity reds get into injury trouble they sure will miss him

Old
01-15-2013, 09:24 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Unb

Is Denny out due to injury or numbers (hardest shot in CIS)?
Any news on Kidd's concussion issues (pro shot)? Or doghouse?
Down the stretch, will Gardiner use these cannons on the pp? Or will they waste away?
If Todd goes up, who will sit? Taylor M?

Old
01-15-2013, 11:27 PM
Rob

Denny is definitely injured. Just don't know how serious it is.

Kidd is still "day to day".

Old
01-16-2013, 04:41 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

I expect to see them keep on rolling the same line-up they have been (barring injury of course)....Kidd and Denny have been their two worst defencemen this year IMO. Pretty crazy considering they are two former NHL draft picks.

Old
01-16-2013, 08:53 PM
FreddtFoyle

Chad Denny didn't have a bad game tonight with Adrian Robertson out of the lineup. Got several shots off and on net, didn't always rely on the slapper, and forced the short-staffed Tommies to block some shots they probably wished they didn't have to.

Interesting that Bryce Swan was moved off the Culligan-Carroll line during the SMU game and didn't play much (if any shifts) with them tonight.

Chris Culligan a deserved winner of the Mark Jeffrey award.

Old
01-17-2013, 10:28 AM
Rob

So was Robertson a healthy scratch or injured?

Old
01-17-2013, 01:34 PM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
So was Robertson a healthy scratch or injured?
Injured. "Got his bell rung" last weekend.

Old
01-18-2013, 07:43 AM
radapex

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post

I was wondering why he's been out of the lineup. He was a nice addition to the team.

Closed Thread