HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Prospect Talk PART V

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2013, 02:22 PM
BillD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I'm actually curious to see how Reinhart looks against NHLers. Not that I would want him here for a 5 game stint, I just would like to see if he can handle the speed/physicality at this point.
Griff couldn't handle the USA World Junior speed.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:33 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
Based on what, exactly? I love how people talk about how bad he was at the WJC, meanwhile the entire tournament I think I saw him get beat once and make one mistake(other than the penalties). Overall I actually thought he was pretty solid. Keep in mind he was on the bottom pairing, got zero PP time and was one of their go-to PKers.

Compared to guys like Hamilton, Murphy and Reilly, Reinhart was pretty solid. IMO he was their 3rd best defender behind Harrington and Ouellet.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:48 PM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
NHL.com has both Strome and Reinhart as chl prospects that might make the club.....

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

Lets hope that If Strome makes it its because hes ready and on a skilled line and I dont see any scenario whee I woud like THE Big Griff on the squad this year...

In the video Strome actually eats up Seth Jones
You know what I like about that Strome goal? He lifted the damn puck. It wasn't on his stick very long at all and he knew exactly what to do with it in a very tight space. How often do the NHL forwards on our team just jam the puck into the goalies pads. Strome has finish and a goal scorers instinct. We are severely lacking that outside of Tavares and Moulson among our forwards. Love it.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:55 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
You know what I like about that Strome goal? He lifted the damn puck. It wasn't on his stick very long at all and he knew exactly what to do with it in a very tight space. How often do the NHL forwards on our team just jam the puck into the goalies pads. Strome has finish and a goal scorers instinct. We are severely lacking that outside of Tavares and Moulson among our forwards. Love it.
The best part about Strome(if he wins a spot) is what he could do for guys like Bailey and Okposo. Having a guy as talented as Strome playing between those two could really spark them offensively. I expect to see Boyes get a shot on the top line(then Nino if Boyes fails), leaving Bailey and KO on line two. The potential for a quality top-6 lies in the hands of Strome, IMO. The trickle-down effect would be tremendous as well, considering that would bump Nielsen to the 3rd line to center Grabner and one of Ullstrom/Nino/Joensuu.

It's almost crazy, but if Strome makes the team and is successful in year one we should have one of the deepest top-9's in the league.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:58 PM
kasper11

Quote:
The best part about Strome(if he wins a spot) is what he could do for guys like Bailey and Okposo. Having a guy as talented as Strome playing between those two could really spark them offensively. I expect to see Boyes get a shot on the top line(then Nino if Boyes fails), leaving Bailey and KO on line two. The potential for a quality top-6 lies in the hands of Strome, IMO. The trickle-down effect would be tremendous as well, considering that would bump Nielsen to the 3rd line to center Grabner and one of Ullstrom/Nino/Joensuu.

It's almost crazy, but if Strome makes the team and is successful in year one we should have one of the deepest top-9's in the league.
I agree with you about what a productive Strome could mean for this lineup, until the last sentence.

Even with Strome, we have Boyes on a top line and Nino/Joensuu/Ullstrom on the third. Those are not signs of a deep top-9. Also, Bailey still has to prove that he can produce like a second liner on the wing.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:04 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
It is crazy, because there's no way it's true. Look, nothing about Strome long term, but he doesn't yet have what it takes to play 15-18 minutes a night. He doesn't know his way around defensively, and NHL physical conditioning is something completely different (see JT"s first year struggles). He'll have to adjust to bigger, faster players with longer reaches. It's going to take time.

If he makes the team, he's going to played sheltered minutes in selected situations - playing more minutes at home than on the road.

Sure he can help these guys offensively, but he's going to be challenged winning physical battles in his own zone. That's normal. The best thing about having him here is that Strome can learn all the little chips, tricks, positional stunts, and moves that makes Frans a master at winning battles without directly engaging anyone physically.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Old
01-09-2013, 03:16 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
I agree with you about what a productive Strome could mean for this lineup, until the last sentence.

Even with Strome, we have Boyes on a top line and Nino/Joensuu/Ullstrom on the third. Those are not signs of a deep top-9. Also, Bailey still has to prove that he can produce like a second liner on the wing.
Not necessarily. So far JT has proven that it doesn't matter who plays on his RW: that line always plays like a top-line. Whether it's Boyes or Nino, I expect that line to produce(maybe even more than they did last year assuming JT continues his development).

If Strome successfuly transitions his game to the NHL, our 2nd line should be a productive one as well. Okposo's been on the verge of breaking out for a while, as well as Bailey to a slightly lesser degree.

As far as the 3rd line goes, I don't care who ends up playing on the LW whether it's Nino, Ullstrom, or whoever, as long as Nielsen and Grabner are on that line it should be one of the top scoring 3rd lines in the league. Nielsen's been a consistent 40-50 point scorer while Grabner's coming off of a 20-goal "sophomore slump".

That is a very talented top-9. If one of Boyes/Nino pan out this year, it becomes even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
It is crazy, because there's no way it's true. Look, nothing about Strome long term, but he doesn't yet have what it takes to play 15-18 minutes a night. He doesn't know his way around defensively, and NHL physical conditioning is something completely different (see JT"s first year struggles). He'll have to adjust to bigger, faster players with longer reaches. It's going to take time.

If he makes the team, he's going to played sheltered minutes in selected situations - playing more minutes at home than on the road.

Sure he can help these guys offensively, but he's going to be challenged winning physical battles in his own zone. That's normal. The best thing about having him here is that Strome can learn all the little chips, tricks, positional stunts, and moves that makes Frans a master at winning battles without directly engaging anyone physically.

Cheers,

Dan-o
I think you are underrating the steps Strome's defensive* game has taken. He's been pretty reliable this year in that area. He's been a regular PKer back in Niagara, if I'm not mistaken. While I'm sure his defensive game won't be great, or even good, at the NHL level, I expect it to be passable in year one.

I'm sure he'll struggle a bit out of the gate, but being able to practice with Nielsen(who is one of the best) and Tavares(a guy who wasn't a great defender but has worked hard to improve that area) will probably do a lot for his development.

If he proves that he's not only ready to play at the NHL level, but that he's ready to score at the NHL level, I don't think he'll have any problem playing 15-18 mins a night.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:21 PM
StumpNYI

Quote:

Bailey and Okposo is a very interesting case. Okposo is Bailey's key to 2nd line minutes. They have had awesome chemistry since day 1. Take a guy like Comeau for example, when he played with Okposo and Bailey there was some hype that he could be a solid top 6 guy. We all know how that turned out. I think with those two on the ice together there is more space for the 3rd forward, be it center or wing. They may help Strome as much as he helps them considering that 3rd guy can do magic with available space. Might be a good fit for him if he makes the team as a center and Bailey on LW.

Though I do want to see him spend some time on JT's wing at some point. Sweet music is sweet.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:26 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
I think you are underrating the steps Strome's defensive* game has taken. He's been pretty reliable this year in that area. He's been a regular PKer back in Niagara, if I'm not mistaken. While I'm sure his defensive game won't be great, or even good, at the NHL level, I expect it to be passable in year one.
Defensive, offensive whatever. I don't think his ability to get the puck will be good early on, and that's going to seriously hamper his production. It's normal.

I just want to keep our expectations realistic.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Old
01-09-2013, 03:35 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Defensive, offensive whatever. I don't think his ability to get the puck will be good early on, and that's going to seriously hamper his production. It's normal.

I just want to keep our expectations realistic.

Cheers,

Dan-o
I know it's normal, but given the circumstances and situation, I think he'll have every opportunity to succeed this season. Less pressure playing behind Tavares; playing with defensively responsible players in Bailey and Okposo; will have that big body doing the dirty work along the boards in KO.

All I'm saying is the opportunity for a productive rookie season is there. It all comes down to whether or not he feels he's ready. IMO, I think his confidence is pretty high right now, so I expect him to work his ass off attempting to make this team. If he eventually makes it, the potential to put up points is definitely there in year one.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:40 PM
Degeneration Rex

Niagara has just traded Mitchell Theoret to Barrie.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:58 PM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Niagara has just traded Mitchell Theoret to Barrie.
Looks like Niagra is going to rebuild like they should. Other than Strome, Hamilton, Theoret, and Ritchie they are not good.

Old
01-09-2013, 06:03 PM
StrongIslanders90

IMHO they know Strome better than anyone and I believe that with the Combination of what Strome has showed and Isles track record NIAdoes NOT expect Strome Back...

Old
01-09-2013, 07:20 PM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
Bailey and Okposo is a very interesting case. Okposo is Bailey's key to 2nd line minutes. They have had awesome chemistry since day 1. Take a guy like Comeau for example, when he played with Okposo and Bailey there was some hype that he could be a solid top 6 guy. We all know how that turned out. I think with those two on the ice together there is more space for the 3rd forward, be it center or wing. They may help Strome as much as he helps them considering that 3rd guy can do magic with available space. Might be a good fit for him if he makes the team as a center and Bailey on LW.

Though I do want to see him spend some time on JT's wing at some point. Sweet music is sweet.
I tend to agree that Strome will have better chance at success, but when did Bailey and Okposo become veteran mentors?

Last I checked, they were also looking to establish themselves as effective NHL players - when did that change?
To assume Strome will be successful is dangerous. Nothing wrong with being hopeful or optimistic, that's what you should feel before the season.

I don't expect Strome to be a top six forward this year. I expect there will be more than six forwards far enter than hi at camp.
Maybe he impresses and makes the team, but I won't think any less of him if he's sent to jr.

Old
01-09-2013, 07:57 PM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I tend to agree that Strome will have better chance at success, but when did Bailey and Okposo become veteran mentors?

Last I checked, they were also looking to establish themselves as effective NHL players - when did that change?
To assume Strome will be successful is dangerous. Nothing wrong with being hopeful or optimistic, that's what you should feel before the season.

I don't expect Strome to be a top six forward this year. I expect there will be more than six forwards far enter than hi at camp.
Maybe he impresses and makes the team, but I won't think any less of him if he's sent to jr.
I didn't say I hope he makes the team or think he is going to be successful. Just said that if he did make it centering a line, it might be a good fit for him because of already established chemistry. Yeah it's an assumption, based on IF he made the team.

I agree Bailey and Okposo still need work, but between the 2 of them, they do have the most experience combined then the rest of our forwards or any other 2 combined. Unless you want to stick him with Reasoner?

If you think it's a better idea if we just Nino him, I would have to disagree. If he makes the team, it's because he played good enough to find a spot in the top six.

Old
01-09-2013, 09:02 PM
Degeneration Rex

Wednesday

Erie 4, Owen Sound 3-Pelech, + 1.
Spokane 4, Seattle 1-Kichton, 1 assist, + 1.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 01-10-2013 at 05:45 AM.
Old
01-09-2013, 11:41 PM
InformTheMasses

Kichton also had an assist (deflected point shot). The goal is going up on my youtube page now. But the camerawork is terrible and audio nearly as bad. It's what you deal with sometimes on these CHL Internet feeds.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:02 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
Neither could Dougie Hamilton, Morgan Rielly, Xavier Ouellete, or Ryan Murphy.

I suppose none of them are nhl ready either?

Old
01-10-2013, 03:17 AM
rikker

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Neither could Dougie Hamilton, Morgan Rielly, Xavier Ouellete, or Ryan Murphy.

I suppose none of them are nhl ready either?
i agree with the sentiment of this post. the Canadian defence handled the U.S. speed well enough in their first meeting...

the fact is, the U.S. squad caught fire at the right time, and were playing fantastic hockey at the end. the Canadian and Russian defence could not effectively contain them.

i'm not advocating for Griffin to make the Isles this year, by the way. not saying he can't either.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:58 AM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post

I disagree, not about strome but about Okposo and Bailey. Yes, they have not reached thier potential(Hopefully), howver they are very much established NHL Players at this point. Both having played in the NHL for 3+ years. I think they could earn a spot on just about any team in this league. Is there things they need to work on, YES. Are they still waiting to break-out, I would say yes. But established they are and thats more than Strome at this point. From that viewpoint there is alot of things that could be passed on by Bailey and Okposo, such as how to cope with struggles, work ethic (Because both know how to work hard!) etc.

Little suprising fact. The Players on this team with Most Career games played are Reasoner with 767, then Boulton with 600GP, then Boyes with 558GP, and Striet with 443. Bailey and Okposo have 291 and 271GP respectively.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:22 AM
InformTheMasses

KBK, very true, as crazy as it sounds or as sad is it may be Okposo and Bailey can be considered veterans on an inexperienced Islander team. With what's going on in Niagra (firesale?) it looks like no matter where Strome goes (NHL, Niagra, or different OHL Team via trade) he is going to be in a new situation with new line-mates. With that said, I think it's a lock he makes the team at least for 5 games. If thats the case, this is what I would like to see as the first 3 lines

M.Moulson-Tavares-Ullstrom
Grabner-Strome-Boyes
Bailey-Nielson-Okposo

Moulson and Tavares are a no brainer, the question is, who plays with them? I Think ullstrom has the size and skill to gel with these two and make a pretty productive first line, while giving solid options for the other 2 lines.

The 2nd Scoring line would have some real Speed with Grabner and Boyes playing on the wings with Strome. Again this line is not going to be too responsible defensively, but In a trail (week/season?) for Strome, I wouldnt want to throw too much at him anyway especially without camp, just let him play his game and give him wingers that can skate with him and make/finish plays.

The third line (really it's not a third line, its a checking line that will get more minutes than the 2nd scoring line) Will be the defensive responsible line that goes against the oppositions scoring line. It has our two best defensive forwards (Nielson-Bailey) and allows Bailey to be on the wing along with KO whom they have good chemistry together.

I think this could work, and would love to see how Grabner reacts being off Nielsens line. With Strome and Boyes those three can be coming through the neutral zone with speed and create more offensively (less East-West, playing most of the time in Own zone, wait for turnover, breakout).

Obviously Martin-Reasoner-Joensuu/Boulton would be the other forwards.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:26 AM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
I disagree, not about strome but about Okposo and Bailey. Yes, they have not reached thier potential(Hopefully), howver they are very much established NHL Players at this point. Both having played in the NHL for 3+ years. I think they could earn a spot on just about any team in this league. Is there things they need to work on, YES. Are they still waiting to break-out, I would say yes. But established they are and thats more than Strome at this point. From that viewpoint there is alot of things that could be passed on by Bailey and Okposo, such as how to cope with struggles, work ethic (Because both know how to work hard!) etc.

Little suprising fact. The Players on this team with Most Career games played are Reasoner with 767, then Boulton with 600GP, then Boyes with 558GP, and Striet with 443. Bailey and Okposo have 291 and 271GP respectively.
I understand your point, and I made the same point a few posts back saying that Strome would be in a far better situation on the team than those before him. Bailey with Sim, Hilbert, Hunter, etc was totally set-up to fail but Strome coming into a team with Tavares leading the offense, a year older than Bailey was, playing with guys like Okposo & Bailey would have a much higher chance of success - no doubt about it.

The Isles are a really bad team on paper (computer?) and they're probably a lottery team unless a lot of "what ifs" happen (just like the last five years). So is this YET ANOTHER year to "experiment" with young players and have them take their lumps in the pro game?

OR, do we start the process of having prospects dominate (or at least prove themselves) at every level (including minor PRO - like AHL or men's leagues in Europe like the SEL, KHL, etc) before they are given NHL jobs?

I'm not sure I know the answer. Sadly, it's too late to bring in a proper defense and two good forwards so is it better to overplay Boulton or pick-up Jeff Finger and Mark Eaton? Or do we go with Donovan and Ness?

I think the Isles have more options at forward than on defense. I can see Ullstrom and probably Cizikas earning jobs at forward (along with Joensuu) - they're not 19. But Strome has a lot of room to grow both physically and in his overall game. While I don't mind a 5 game test, I don't think he should stick around the way Nino did last year.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:39 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
KBK, very true, as crazy as it sounds or as sad is it may be Okposo and Bailey can be considered veterans on an inexperienced Islander team. With what's going on in Niagra (firesale?) it looks like no matter where Strome goes (NHL, Niagra, or different OHL Team via trade) he is going to be in a new situation with new line-mates. With that said, I think it's a lock he makes the team at least for 5 games. If thats the case, this is what I would like to see as the first 3 lines

M.Moulson-Tavares-Ullstrom
Grabner-Strome-Boyes
Bailey-Nielson-Okposo

Moulson and Tavares are a no brainer, the question is, who plays with them? I Think ullstrom has the size and skill to gel with these two and make a pretty productive first line, while giving solid options for the other 2 lines.

The 2nd Scoring line would have some real Speed with Grabner and Boyes playing on the wings with Strome. Again this line is not going to be too responsible defensively, but In a trail (week/season?) for Strome, I wouldnt want to throw too much at him anyway especially without camp, just let him play his game and give him wingers that can skate with him and make/finish plays.

The third line (really it's not a third line, its a checking line that will get more minutes than the 2nd scoring line) Will be the defensive responsible line that goes against the oppositions scoring line. It has our two best defensive forwards (Nielson-Bailey) and allows Bailey to be on the wing along with KO whom they have good chemistry together.

I think this could work, and would love to see how Grabner reacts being off Nielsens line. With Strome and Boyes those three can be coming through the neutral zone with speed and create more offensively (less East-West, playing most of the time in Own zone, wait for turnover, breakout).

Obviously Martin-Reasoner-Joensuu/Boulton would be the other forwards.
Your 2nd line is very soft, who's doing the dirty work of digging loose pucks out along the boards and behind the net?

Old
01-10-2013, 09:46 AM
InformTheMasses

Absolute issue, it's not ideal. And I am the guy that said Strome NEEDS a power forward like Ritchie next to him to succeed at the next level. Trouble is, i do not see anyone in the organization that is available and ready to win those battles. They are coming.... but the big forwards need time to work on that area of their game. We are lacking it as an organization and/or trying to rely on 20 year old kids to win those battles. Not Going to happen. Ultimately that's why I think Strome goes down after 5 games, but I would give it a shot.

Only option is Matt Martin, not sure how the rest of the personnel would shape up with Martin next to Strome.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:55 AM
steveat

Strome shouldn't take 2nd line duties without proving anything. I know what to expect from Nielsen..I have zero idea what to expect from Strome. Just because he was a top 5 pick, doesn't mean he will be better than Nielsen. Strome...if he gets the nod, will most likely be doing 3rd line duties...who knows..maybe even 4th line. He has to work his way up.

I don't mind Ullstrom on first line, but he is not a 1st liner and will never be. At best he will put up PA numbers...his ceiling is top 6.

I'd like to see Bailey on wing for half the season to see what he could do. I don't think playing center is his thing. Maybe in Junior it works, but playing center in the pros, doesn't.. He's got better hands than Tavares (IMO) and can easily get the puck to Moulson, while Tavares causes confusion/distraction. Bailey at least tries...Okposo would be the better candidate, but I just don't see it. KO needs fire...and someone needs to be there to light it every time it goes out.

Closed Thread