HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michael Del Zotto agrees to terms with NYR (Brooks: 2 years, ~$2.55M per)

Old
01-08-2013, 07:43 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

vCash: 500
$3M for 3 or 4 year deal will look like a bargain after the first couple seasons. Hell, maybe even sooner. Kid has the potential to be one of the elite PMD's in the NHL.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:13 AM
Mrpuck

I don't like paying upfront for potential. Just a year ago he was in the doghouse playing like crap. He still needs to prove himself imo.

I agree with the 2 year deal, ~2.5 million/season. Then we can give him a longer term deal next.

Mrpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:49 AM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

3 yr deal....2.5 per MAX

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:56 AM
Levitate

Ehhh, go look at the list of defensemen last year, sorted by scoring, and see the names around Del Zotto. Consider how much those guys are getting paid

I don't think paying him more than $2.5 is crazy or anything, he's a very good player who has earned a decent contract at this point

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:58 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
$3M for 3 or 4 year deal will look like a bargain after the first couple seasons. Hell, maybe even sooner. Kid has the potential to be one of the elite PMD's in the NHL.
Its a tough decision. I agree with your projection that if Del Zotto can reach his ceiling (and consistently stay there), we'll have a bargain on our hands extending him for 3-4 years at around $3M per.

At the same time, Im apprehensive to start handing more years to a player whose development over the past 3 seasons has been an absolute rollercoaster. I still think he has a lot to learn regarding the mental aspect of the game. His game can still fall off a cliff on any given shift, it seems.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:00 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Last year was great, and well worth 3+. The issue is that the year before his play deteriorated to the point where he was sent to the AHL.

It's a tricky situation and I definitely understand why he and Sather may have different perceptions of his value.

01-08-2013, 02:16 PM
Legend23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
Pretty sure it's still the average salary, or atlas I haven't heard otherwise. So I don't think you can 'put more on this year'
Ok Thanks. Wasn't really sure.

Legend23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 02:23 PM
Cresto
In the pantry

It'll end up being 3 year 2.6 or something.

Any day now.

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 03:20 PM
ck20

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
It'll end up being 3 year 2.6 or something.

Any day now.
Just have to wait for the CBA to be finalized before he can actually be signed. I would be pretty happy having MDZ back for 2.6 over 3 years, can't argue with those numbers.

ck20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:22 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Its a tough decision. I agree with your projection that if Del Zotto can reach his ceiling (and consistently stay there), we'll have a bargain on our hands extending him for 3-4 years at around $3M per.

At the same time, Im apprehensive to start handing more years to a player whose development over the past 3 seasons has been an absolute rollercoaster. I still think he has a lot to learn regarding the mental aspect of the game. His game can still fall off a cliff on any given shift, it seems.
It's certainly a tough call. Some teams have had great success with it, while others are certainly regretting the deals they gave out.

I'd be surprised if they did it, but I could see the merit in it and the logic behind it.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:38 PM
Machinehead
★★★★

Quote:
Originally Posted by htk30 View Post
Just have to wait for the CBA to be finalized before he can actually be signed.
Officially yes, but I do hope they're working on it in the mean time.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 04:41 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by htk30 View Post
Just have to wait for the CBA to be finalized before he can actually be signed. I would be pretty happy having MDZ back for 2.6 over 3 years, can't argue with those numbers.
I assume you mean 7.3 over 3 years? 2.6 over 3 years would be pretty much $0 raise for MDZ. But yeah, 2.6 per year for 3 years would be reasonable.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 05:56 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Michael Del Zotto's agent, Don Meehan, reports "negotiations are ongoing" with #NYR toward a contract. Otherwise, no update on progress.
https://twitter.com/AGrossRecord/sta...58355065389056

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 05:58 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Have a feeling Sather is going to really put the screws to Del Zotto.

Wouldnt be surprised if Meehan walked in and got a 2 year 4 million dollar offer.

Old
01-09-2013, 06:17 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

vCash: 50
Quote:
Have a feeling Sather is going to really put the screws to Del Zotto.

Wouldnt be surprised if Meehan walked in and got a 2 year 4 million dollar offer.
Or lower. I wouldn't be surprised if he walked out with that offer.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 07:02 PM
Cresto
In the pantry

I am going to throw out a prediction: it'll be a longer term deal:5 years

With the season already days away, training camp on Sunday, ratification 1/2 way done, and with their opportunity to hash out a deal during the summer, I think DZ wants a few extra years at no cost of his AAV and it might end up with 5 year $11M, $2.2M per after slats works everything out.

With those numbers, it's not really that much of a commitment AAV wise and always suitable to trade etc. I think it'll come down to trade issues with DZ. he knows his position given a poor season this season...

Old
01-09-2013, 07:05 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
I am going to throw out a prediction: it'll be a longer term deal:5 years

With the season already days away, training camp on Sunday, ratification 1/2 way done, and with their opportunity to hash out a deal during the summer, I think DZ wants a few extra years at no cost of his AAV and it might end up with 5 year $11M, $2.2M per after slats works everything out.

With those numbers, it's not really that much of a commitment AAV wise and always suitable to trade etc. I think it'll come down to trade issues with DZ. he knows his position given a poor season this season...
He'd immediately fire his agent if thats his offer a week from now.

Old
01-09-2013, 07:10 PM
Cresto
In the pantry

Quote:
He'd immediately fire his agent if thats his offer a week from now.
If I'm slats and I'm looking up and down the roster at how many of our core players we HAVE to sign with the cap in mind, there's no way I'm giving the least valuable ($$ negotiable wise) player (DZ) a good deal. Sather has to win this deal to set the bar at a price that will allow him the most room to sign all of his other star players

Old
01-09-2013, 07:15 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
If I'm slats and I'm looking up and down the roster at how many of our core players we HAVE to sign with the cap in mind, there's no way I'm giving the least valuable ($$ negotiable wise) player (DZ) a good deal. Sather has to win this deal to set the bar at a price that will allow him the most room to sign all of his other star players
I dont know how a deal like that benefits anyone.

Old
01-09-2013, 07:34 PM
Cresto
In the pantry

Quote:
I dont know how a deal like that benefits anyone.
Maybe minus a year but a deal that benefits no one doesnt fail to make all sense. Both sides get a bit.

I just have this image in my mind seeing a tweet like that. I have a feeling it won't be a short term deal. The $$ in a short term deal (+/- $500,000 a year max) is not weighted enough to stall this negotiation until after the summer and into this

Old
01-09-2013, 07:58 PM
Mikos87

I'd guess and say that his cap hit will be lower than Girardi's, just out of the mere fact that DZ doesn't play the tough minutes as G. If DZ signs for term than he will be the second home grown Ranger to bypass the organizational standard of a 2 year bridge contract; ala Marc Staal.

DZ isn't without his options, say he signs a half year deal as far as this season is concerned; he will then become arbitration eligible, with the Rangers needing to sign, Stepan, Hagelin, and McDonaugh. I think we'll see something along the lines of the following:

1 @ 2.3
2 @ 2.85
3 @ 3.1
4 @ 3.3

And then McDonaugh can get the Staal contract at season's end, maybe a little less. The Rangers have done a good job of setting precedents with contracts, and it would do both parties to close to come together and get this all wrapped up.

Mikos87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 08:26 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Maybe minus a year but a deal that benefits no one doesnt fail to make all sense. Both sides get a bit.

I just have this image in my mind seeing a tweet like that. I have a feeling it won't be a short term deal. The $$ in a short term deal (+/- $500,000 a year max) is not weighted enough to stall this negotiation until after the summer and into this
If it's a 5 year deal, he'd be giving up 3 arbitration years and 1 year of free agency. There's no way he'd sign for 2.2 per year on a 5 year deal. None. And I seriously doubt Sather is going to commit to him that long term, especially with other players needing to get paid next year. He's going to want to keep the cap hit low. His MO is 2 year deals for the 2nd contract. Very few players have gotten longer deals.

4 years wouldn't work because no GM wants to have a player's contract run out the same year he becomes eligible for unrestricted free agency. The contracts always end either before (so they are still an RFA) or at some point after.

3 years is a possibility, but 2 years is the most likely scenario. The more years they add on, the higher the cap hit will be. That's the way it works, because of the years the player is giving up (years where his negotiating power is stronger than it is now).

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 08:32 PM
Cresto
In the pantry

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
If it's a 5 year deal, he'd be giving up 3 arbitration years and 1 year of free agency. There's no way he'd sign for 2.2 per year on a 5 year deal. None. And I seriously doubt Sather is going to commit to him that long term, especially with other players needing to get paid next year. He's going to want to keep the cap hit low. His MO is 2 year deals for the 2nd contract. Very few players
Look at me not knowing what I'm talking about

I'll just stick with a longer length deal.

Old
01-09-2013, 08:36 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

If Sather and Meehan are smart they will flex the new variance rules to the limit to give him a relative pittance this year and give him much more cash in years 2,3,4 - whatever. He's only going to get 60% of whatever he gets this year anyway, so making it the smallest amount of all the years is a relatively easy give and allows them to earn a lot more in the out years, but at a reduced cap number.

For example: sign him to a 5 year deal at:

$2.00MM
$2.70MM
$3.65MM
$3.65MM
$4.00MM

Cap hit = $3.2MM

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 08:44 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I would be pretty surprised if Staher handed out longer than a 2 yr deal. 2 yrs, $5-6M total.

HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote