HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bobby Lu Part II(All Luongo Talk goes here) [Post 643: Luongo to Philly?]

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2013, 08:22 PM
binop7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
How many people said that about Whitney, Doan, Iginla, St. Louis? Every year St. Louis had been throwing out the "he's declining" and only now does it slightly show. Some people say the Sedins are done. Do I see Briere as a PPG player? No but he could put up 55-60 points again. Or 30ish in a condensed season. Not to mention we need scoring in the playoffs. Briere accomplishes that.

At the end of the day, Briere is a better player than the packages Toronto leafs have thrown around.
St. Louis is a much better player than Briere ever was. I don't see anything in Briere's game that proves to me that he'll continue to produce at that pace. But **** it I'd love to be wrong, I like the guy and his family situation is kind of ******.

Old
01-09-2013, 08:22 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Ok, then who will they trade for then. And what will the price be.
Are you guys offering up Price for Kadri, Bozak and a second?
Nobody. It's a 48 games season. Teams can afford to wait until compliance buyout season and take a decision then.

Edit: IOW the goaltending might very well suck on every team

Old
01-09-2013, 08:23 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
I agree that Luongo is better that Bryzgalov but Luongo has had some terrible playoff games/series. Who knows what his numbers would have looked like last year if he wasn't benched.
Yeah, and who knows what his numbers would have been if the team in front of him would have showed up for the first two games in the LA series. Luongo was not the problem for Vancouver in last years playoffs but that won't stop people form making the choke comments.

Old
01-09-2013, 08:23 PM
JackJ

Kadri + Bozak + Franson for Luongo + 2nd/3rd pick

Old
01-09-2013, 08:24 PM
99 steps
to the top

Enrico Ciccone breaking a story? I mostly remember watching Enrico Ciccone breaking Jamie Pushor.

Old
Justified
Amaro out

oh boy...

Old
BeauKnows19

@drosennhl: “@DNFlyers: Flyers GM Paul Holmgren on Luongo rumors: "That made me chuckle. Safe to say they aren't true. They have no basis or merit."”

Old
01-09-2013, 08:25 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Nobody. It's a 48 games season. Teams can afford to wait until compliance buyout season and take a decision then.
Yeah, I've heard the wait until the next season to acquire a goalie form some teams for about the last 10 years. Shockingly most teams don't seem to want to giev away goalies when that next season comes.

Old
binop7

Quote:
Yeah, and who knows what his numbers would have been if the team in front of him would have showed up for the first two games in the LA series. Luongo was not the problem for Vancouver in last years playoffs but that won't stop people form making the choke comments.
Schneider played better vs LA than Luongo did. The team played better in front of Schneider. Luongo is basically being run out of town, the Canucks do not have as much leverage as you think.

Old
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co Ho View Post
How about:

Philly:
Luongo + Raymond

Van:
Voracek + Bourdon/Gustaffson (potential Ballard replacement; haven't watch the Flyers enough to know their value though)
I'd still pass, rather easily.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
Old
Bourne Endeavor
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
Kadri + Bozak + Franson for Luongo + 2nd/3rd pick
Yawn

Toronto wouldn't do it for lack of center depth and Vancouver gets nothing substantial for Lu. Why in the world do we add?

Old
01-09-2013, 08:27 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by binop7 View Post
Schneider played better vs LA than Luongo did. The team played better in front of Schneider. Luongo is basically being run out of town, the Canucks do not have as much leverage as you think.
I never said that they had leverage. I said they had as much leverage as teams with crappy goaltending.
And yes I agree Schneider played better. But not by a lot. Some people on the East coast should stay up and watch the games.
Luongo did a lot better against LA thna most other goalies they faced.

Old
binop7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0otnSc0re View Post
I'd still pass, rather easily.
Vancouver fans like to throw in Raymond/Ballard, like we like to throw in Bozak/Kadri it's similar to Ryder, Halak and a 2nd

Old
JackJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Yawn

Toronto wouldn't do it for lack of center depth and Vancouver gets nothing substantial for Lu. Why in the world do we add?
Time to come to grips with the fact that you won't.

Do you really expect Gardiner to be part of this?

Old
01-09-2013, 08:28 PM
binop7

Quote:
I never said that they had leverage. I said they had as much leverage as teams with crappy goaltending.
And yes I agree Schneider played better. But not by a lot.
Schneider played better in net and the team looked more inspired playing in front of him. Hence Luongo being shopped.

Old
01-09-2013, 08:28 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Adrian Dater gets some things right but he has also been wrong about a lot of things. Here's his take on this:

I think Dater is editorializing a lot there. Everyone knows about the Bryz situation in PHI. Everyone knows that there are now mechanics to get around said contract. So it's only natural to marry the two together and get Luongo in PHI.

However, I just think PHI is there to see how much it will cost. When they find out, Couturier, they will rebuff. At the very least though, they are another team in the mix. That makes 3 of recent interest in EDM, TOR and PHI. And 6 of _reported_ interest overall, in EDM, TOR, PHI, CHI, CLB and FLA.

And we'll see what happens with WSH, WPG and Tbay this year.

Old
01-09-2013, 08:29 PM
quat
vapid but stately

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
The future obviously isn't proven, but you can look at past trends and the overwhelming evidence is goaltenders begin to decline in their mid 30s. Simple as that. Of course he can be an elite goalie at 40 years old, but that's highly unlikely and damn near impossible.
There is nothing proven in what you've written here. Of course Luongo will eventually retire from playing professional hockey, but that has no bearing on how he will play for the next five years.

No one should be claiming he will be elite at age 40.

The statistics you're claiming to support your opinion, do the opposite. Luongo has shown no downward curve in his play, so what you're saying is incorrect... unless your point is that people age as time passes.

There is no reason to believe that Luongo can't continue to play at this level for the foreseeable future, and there are no statistics that logically refute this statement. It's popular to hate on Luongo and people will roll out anything to convince themselves they're correct. Making things up is an entirely different animal than actually presenting a rational opinion.

Old
01-09-2013, 08:29 PM
Intense Rage

Quote:
I agree wholeheartedly. I have long since suggested that not all teams looking for goaltending are going to be forced to look at Luongo. Somehow it still seems like a foreign concept to most even though a GM like Yzerman opted to go for a younger solution (one of many possible reasons why teams would not be interested in Luongo).

Old
01-09-2013, 08:30 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Schneider played better in net and the team looked more inspired playing in front of him. Hence Luongo being shopped.
No, actually Schneider played better and is much younger. Hence Luongo being shopped. We have two great goalies and weaknesses elsewhere. You might denigrate Luongo but he's far superior to anything the Leafs have had in net for a long, long time. Not that that's saying much mind you.

Old
01-09-2013, 08:30 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
Time to come to grips with the fact that you won't.

Do you really expect Gardiner to be part of this?
Yeah, Leaf fans were telling us it was a fact Burke's job wasn't in jeopardy. Don't mind us we do not put much faith in your "facts".

Do I expect Gardiner? No, but something better than what you offered.

Old
01-09-2013, 08:32 PM
binop7

Quote:
Originally Posted by quat View Post
There is nothing proven in what you've written here. Of course Luongo will eventually retire from playing professional hockey, but that has no bearing on how he will play for the next five years.

No one should be claiming he will be elite at age 40.

The statistics you're claiming to support your opinion, do the opposite. Luongo has shown no downward curve in his play, so what you're saying is incorrect... unless your point is that people age as time passes.

There is no reason to believe that Luongo can't continue to play at this level for the foreseeable future, and there are no statistics that logically refute this statement. It's popular to hate on Luongo and people will roll out anything to convince themselves they're correct. Making things up is an entirely different animal than actually presenting a rational opinion.
Luongo could be an anomaly and play great for the next 5 years. But the generally accepted thought is goalies decline in their mid 30s. Here's a great article about it

http://nhlnumbers.com/2012/12/6/goal...vivorship-bias

Old
01-09-2013, 08:33 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Vancouver does not hold any leverage whatsoever. They're basically at the mercy of the offers. The only other choices are buying Roberto out or keeping him and buyout someone else when they need to.
It's not rocket science. If a number of teams are interested in Luongo, then Vancouver has some leverage by playing the offers against each other. Say 5 teams submit offers for Luongo. Gillis takes the offer he likes best, then goes to the other 4 teams and says 'add a little more or I'm going to accept this other offer'. If everyone stands pat then that's what Vancouver is stuck with. Chances are that those opening offers will be relatively low and teams will bid against each other up to something a bit more reasonable for Vancouver.

Old
01-09-2013, 08:33 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
I think Dater is editorializing a lot there. Everyone knows about the Bryz situation in PHI. Everyone knows that there are now mechanics to get around said contract. So it's only natural to marry the two together and get Luongo in PHI.

However, I just think PHI is there to see how much it will cost. When they find out, Couturier, they will rebuff. At the very least though, they are another team in the mix. That makes 3 of recent interest in EDM, TOR and PHI. And 6 of _reported_ interest overall, in EDM, TOR, PHI, CHI, CLB and FLA.

And we'll see what happens with WSH, WPG and Tbay this year.
If the market for Luongo is a Couturier level player then Luongo will be on the Canucks roster for the start of the season and probably most of it because he ain't getting no return like that.

Old
01-09-2013, 08:34 PM
binop7

Quote:
No, actually Schneider played better and is much younger. Hence Luongo being shopped. We have two great goalies and weaknesses elsewhere. You might denigrate Luongo but he's far superior to anything the Leafs have had in net for a long, long time. Not that that's saying much mind you.
Yeah Luongo is better than just about any goalie we've had in the past 10 years. Does that mean we sell the farm by giving up Gardiner+Kadri, no. Luongo is a decent option for a good price, but I don't like the idea of having our own Schneider with one of Reimer/Scrivens/Owuya being blocked by Luongo. In no way am I saying those 3 are or will be as good as Schneider, I'm just thinking long term.

Old
01-09-2013, 08:34 PM
Dylonus

I hope Philly gets Luongo... that way I know they won't have a chance to win a cup over the next 6-7 years

Closed Thread