HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

OT: NBA Sacramento denies sale to Seattle group

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2013, 05:50 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
As long as the arena gets built I think the NHL becomes inevitable. This gets the arena built.

Expansion to 32 in Seattle and Quebec in 2015 or 2016. It just makes too much sense.
If they're expanding, it's going to have to happen fast. Generally, new franchises have more than 2 years head start, I believe. I don't think they will expand until they have 30 franchises on the right footing.

Old
01-09-2013, 05:51 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
I remember it because they renamed the county after MLK a few years ago
And I would have guessed that Seattle is in King County because I believe two Seattle radio stations are KING and KONG.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." — -31-
Old
01-09-2013, 05:55 PM
thom

vCash: 500
I'm glad for seattle but I'm afraid of their Junior team which has been there for decades .And why has Pierre Paledeau been so quite the last few months any new info?

Old
01-09-2013, 06:37 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Sources say there are still "a lot of unknowns and uncertainties" before a Kings to Seattle deal is finalized. But talks are ongoing.
https://twitter.com/daldridgetnt/sta...66633350594565

Old
01-09-2013, 06:48 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Bad news for Milwaukee hockey fans that don't care about basketball. The Seattle team was always going to come down to the Bucks or Kings.

If the Bucks are gone Milwaukee opens up as a potential NHL site assuming they do a little renovations with the Bradley Center.

Old
01-09-2013, 07:01 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
I don't think Levin is involved with the Seattle arena. He was belleuve group i believe.
Once Hansen got the arena deal passed Bellevue is done. I get levin wanted to own the building as well, but he might have to be okay with just owning a team.

Old
01-09-2013, 07:08 PM
Glacial

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Wow...so we may get the returns of the Charlotte Hornets AND the Seattle Super Sonics (as well as the emergence of the New Orleans Pelicans)?!
Ok, Kings might be becoming the new Super Sonics (they're not losing their history, just their name. AFAIK, the Thunder still have the history of the original Super Sonics. The Cleveland Browns were an exceptional case), but who might become the new Hornets?

Old
01-09-2013, 07:14 PM
KevFu

I still don't understand how you had teams in Sacramento and Seattle that were worshipped by loyal fans; teams in New Orleans and Charlotte that were basically unwanted and it's the Sonics and potentially Kings who are going to pack up and move.

The NBA should have done a 'Maloofs want to go to Anaheim? Fine. Take the Hornets there 'Trade.''

Old
01-09-2013, 07:21 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Once Hansen got the arena deal passed Bellevue is done. I get levin wanted to own the building as well, but he might have to be okay with just owning a team.
We will see, Levin who is Chicago based could also go for the homerun and try to figure out a way in on the Milwaukee building assuming they do continue the 2017 route. If he wants half in that is an option, although I would think mabe Kansas City or somewhere else would offer him a pretty sweetheart deal.

Old
01-09-2013, 07:50 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
This gets the arena built. NHL is incing on the cake.
Pretty much.

Old
01-09-2013, 08:17 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFu View Post
I still don't understand how you had teams in Sacramento and Seattle that were worshipped by loyal fans; teams in New Orleans and Charlotte that were basically unwanted and it's the Sonics and potentially Kings who are going to pack up and move.

The NBA should have done a 'Maloofs want to go to Anaheim? Fine. Take the Hornets there 'Trade.''
I like basketball but the NBA is so corrupt at times. What happened was tax money and shady owners. NO -> Bad PR after Katrina. What would it look like if the Hornets went to St Louis while the NFL kept the Saints in NO. Charlotte -> Shinn was a terrible business who squandered everything like the Maloofs did.

Old
01-09-2013, 09:03 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacial View Post
Ok, Kings might be becoming the new Super Sonics (they're not losing their history, just their name. AFAIK, the Thunder still have the history of the original Super Sonics. The Cleveland Browns were an exceptional case), but who might become the new Hornets?
Bobcats, just need to change the name after New Orleans stops using it in 2014

Old
01-09-2013, 09:05 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2810
I thought that there was some weird agreement in place that if Seattle gets a team, they will take the stats from OKC.

Old
01-09-2013, 09:13 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Chris Hansen wants an NHL team too.

From last September

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/P...#ixzz2HVfzLo2L

I don't mean to start trouble but the Coyotes would be the ideal team to play in Seattle.

Ownership with deep pockets. New arena. Pacific Northwest.
...And play in front of a half-empty building every night. No - Toronto or Quebec City would be much better options.

Old
01-09-2013, 09:15 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelvl View Post
I think that Don Levin will be the majority owner of any hockey team in Seattle. I think that the Jamison acquisition just buys a couple of more years before he and his investors give up and the 'Yotes move to Seattle.

Quebec and Toronto2 will be expansion teams because they will pay anything to get in the league.
If the Coyotes need to move this year, i doubt they will go to Seattle cause they dont have an NHL ready arena yet. They have to build one. I believe Seattle and Toronto 2 would get an expansion, just to leave them time to build their arena. Quebec already has started construction on the new arena and the Colisée can be the temporary home.

Old
01-09-2013, 09:18 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 50
Quote:
it's a shame the NBA is going to lose one of it's oldest franchise's histories when they revert to being the Sonics.
To Seattle who also was one of the Oldest and deeply rooted franchises in the NBA.

Old
01-09-2013, 09:33 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Sacramento got their team from Kansas City. The Sacramento fans now know how the Kansas City fans felt losing their team. The team in Sacramento did nothing. Except for those few years after the 1998-99 lockout. Geoff Petrie built a good team. They had the Lakers beat one year but Chris Webber didn't have the sack to take an open shot. Webber. Bibby. Divac. Peja.
nice try, RangerBoy but here's the true history:

franchise founded in Rochester, as the Royals, then to Cincinnati (Oscar Robertson ring bells for anyone), then Kansas City w/ a season w/ Omaha, all before 1998.

Old
01-09-2013, 09:38 PM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
Oscar Robertson ring bells for anyone
I would hope so

Old
01-09-2013, 09:48 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
If this deal gets done, don't be surprised to see Sacramento in the running for an NHL team. That arena deal will still be there for a potential owner to make a go of it.

Old
01-09-2013, 09:53 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Folks:

All this thread is doing has nothing to do w/ pro hockey in the Pac NW, ALL David Stern and Adam Silver are behind the restoration of the Sonics and the ramifications that resulted when Key Arena (which had already been renovated once) needed to be replaced hence why you're seeing the new SODO/Hansen proposal to replace Key, just as the new arenas (Centurylink/Safeco DID in replacing the Kingdome, IF NOT ATTRACT more tenants ie the Sounders FC and the new Reign FC, that's part of the new NWSL.

All that stems back to King County and state Government preventing Clay Bennett from successfully competing in the Pac NW, which is why the Sonics left and were transformed into the OKC Thunder.... the Business climate in WA did no favors to that fanbase.

Old
01-09-2013, 10:08 PM
DaveTheHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
If this deal gets done, don't be surprised to see Sacramento in the running for an NHL team. That arena deal will still be there for a potential owner to make a go of it.
If the Isles struggle in Brooklyn, and we have a new arena ready, they can just move here.

Old
01-09-2013, 10:15 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Sacramento got their team from Kansas City. The Sacramento fans now know how the Kansas City fans felt losing their team. The team in Sacramento did nothing. Except for those few years after the 1998-99 lockout. Geoff Petrie built a good team. They had the Lakers beat one year but Chris Webber didn't have the sack to take an open shot. Webber. Bibby. Divac. Peja.
Wasn't that the playoff series where the Lakers got 55 free throws compared to like the Kings 20 in one playoff game, and the game was reffed by the guy who was ultimately busted for throwing games?

Old
01-09-2013, 10:19 PM
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO

On the bright side people won't confuse the LA Kings with Sacramento anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Sacramento Golden Seals!

Old
01-09-2013, 10:22 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Relocation to Quebec, expansion to Toronto and Seattle. They have to monetize that second TO team while the iron is hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
Wasn't that the playoff series where the Lakers got 55 free throws compared to like the Kings 20 in one playoff game, and the game was reffed by the guy who was ultimately busted for throwing games?
Si

Old
01-09-2013, 10:27 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Relocation to Quebec, expansion to Toronto and Seattle. They have to monetize that second TO team while the iron is hot.

Si
I remember that game specifically because I was with my buddy who was a big basketball fan and kept telling me after the game that it was rigged for the Lakers. Then later the whole ref thing came out after and I found it pretty shocking.

Of course, he's one of those guys who throws out the rigging card a lot, but in this case it seemed to be true.

Closed Thread