HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Michael Del Zotto agrees to terms with NYR (Brooks: 2 years, ~$2.55M per)

Old
01-09-2013, 08:56 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Kindly inform Del Zotto that if he asks for too much money in this contract, he won't have Gaborik around next year to pad his assist stats and he'll lose 15-20 million off his life earnings as teams realize he is an average at best defenseman.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 09:35 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
If Sather and Meehan are smart they will flex the new variance rules to the limit to give him a relative pittance this year and give him much more cash in years 2,3,4 - whatever. He's only going to get 60% of whatever he gets this year anyway, so making it the smallest amount of all the years is a relatively easy give and allows them to earn a lot more in the out years, but at a reduced cap number.

For example: sign him to a 5 year deal at:

$2.00MM
$2.70MM
$3.65MM
$3.65MM
$4.00MM

Cap hit = $3.2MM
Didn't think of that at all. That's smart. Though, for back-loading (front-diving?) contracts, there are no variance rules.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 09:42 PM
GAGLine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
Didn't think of that at all. That's smart. Though, for back-loading (front-diving?) contracts, there are no variance rules.
The variance is the same regardless. And it is common practice for RFA contracts to be back loaded, because the arbitration and UFA years cost more.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 10:02 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
The variance is the same regardless. And it is common practice for RFA contracts to be back loaded, because the arbitration and UFA years cost more.
Yeah, I know that. But Mirtle tweeted a few days ago
https://twitter.com/mirtle/status/288398162752831488
James Mirtle ‏@mirtle
Quote:
An important point on variance: It will mainly only apply to frontloaded deals. Backloaded contracts will essentially use previous CBA rules
So if the deal is backloaded, there is no variance cap from year to year or anything like that.

I meant its smart to keep it down lower than it normally would be for this year as he doesn't get the fully salary anyway.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 10:08 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
Problem is its any time value of money meaning incentive for player is gone. Teams actually would prefer it because it improves cash flow.

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 10:39 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
Kindly inform Del Zotto that if he asks for too much money in this contract, he won't have Gaborik around next year to pad his assist stats and he'll lose 15-20 million off his life earnings as teams realize he is an average at best defenseman.
He certainly didn't play like an 'average at best defenseman' last season....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 10:47 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
He certainly didn't play like an 'average at best defenseman' last season....
Yeah. Don't really understand your thought process on that one Fitz.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:16 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Sometimes I think our own fans are the biggest haters. He's not great, but he's definitely better than average. Very good 2nd pairing D-man.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:23 PM
dethomas07

This is going to be really interesting to see how this plays out.. I think MDZ is better then most out there (Carlson, Erik Johnson, Pietro in St. Louis, that just signed) and what I find really amazing is PK is going to get a wild contract extension and MDZ will get hard ball Sather contract for a player coming out of EL deal.. I find it amazing every other team signs these deals and Sather keeps trucking along doing his usual thing..

dethomas07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:29 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dethomas07 View Post
This is going to be really interesting to see how this plays out.. I think MDZ is better then most out there (Carlson, Erik Johnson, Pietro in St. Louis, that just signed) and what I find really amazing is PK is going to get a wild contract extension and MDZ will get hard ball Sather contract for a player coming out of EL deal.. I find it amazing every other team signs these deals and Sather keeps trucking along doing his usual thing..
You think MDZ is better than Pietro?

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:32 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
You think MDZ is better than Pietro?
unlikely.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:35 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Yeah. Don't really understand your thought process on that one Fitz.
I don't think its a major coincidence that the one year Gaborik scores 20 goals instead of 40 and is out injured for a period, Del Zotto puts up little to nothing in terms of production. And we all know that he is average at best defensively.

If Del Zotto gets too much this contract, and makes the Rangers have to trade Gaborik, DZ's production will then likely diminish as a product of not providing to as much goal scoring talent. It will hurt his future worth, is what i'm saying.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 12:38 AM
Cresto
Much Disappoint

His pride will doom us all.

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:08 AM
Zil

Quote:
I don't think its a major coincidence that the one year Gaborik scores 20 goals instead of 40 and is out injured for a period, Del Zotto puts up little to nothing in terms of production. And we all know that he is average at best defensively.

If Del Zotto gets too much this contract, and makes the Rangers have to trade Gaborik, DZ's production will then likely diminish as a product of not providing to as much goal scoring talent. It will hurt his future worth, is what i'm saying.
Del Zotto had a fantastic season last year and I don't see how you can dispute that. Certainly, it helps if someone like Gaborik is finishing his passes, but there was a clear and major improvement in Del Zotto's play. His game isn't wholly dependent on Gaborik though. He clearly made major strides this season from his first two. Or do you honestly think his defensive play hasn't improved? I see a player who's doing better at both ends of the ice.

Just because a guy's agent is doing his job and asking for a big raise is no reason to denigrate the player's game. Sather's not going to sign Del Zotto to a deal that will handicap their 13-14 cap situation anyway.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:09 AM
toewsintangibles

The team needs to take a hard line with DZ in this negotiation

toewsintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 02:08 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by toewsintangibles View Post
The team needs to take a hard line with DZ in this negotiation
They always do with 2nd contracts.

Del Zotto has had a good rookie season, a God-awful year, and a very good year. He needs to have another very good year before he really gets paid.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 03:04 AM
Stasis
Mad Decent

Let's trade with Montreal. Swap DZ for PK.

I like DZ, and they've got similar numbers... but PK is the better of the two. I think he'd fit in here. Go get 'im Slats!

Stasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 04:23 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:

Hmmm it's difficult to imagine how MDZ's point production would be at risk of diminishing considering we just added Rick Nash to our line-up. How many of MDZ's points do you believe were a product of Gaborik's doing and plays that no other forward in Gaborik's position could have finished or contributed to? Plus you have a roster of developing young forwards (Hagelin, Kreider, Stepan, Cally) who have not peaked offfensively and will contribute more offensively as they gain experience... That alone would serve to benefit not only MDZ's point production but that of all of our defenseman.

I thought MDZ's season last year was nothing short of SOLID. He battled and worked hard all season and bought into the defensive system well. With Staal missing 36 games he logged a lot of minutes playing alongside 2 defensemen I would consider average defensively, and MDZ finished with a +20 on the season compared to Eminger (0) and Stralman (+9). He was 2nd among the defensemen in hits and put up 40+ points with 2 GWG. I have to imagine the Rangers brass were very pleased with his season. He did what they asked him to do coming back from a disappointing season. He certainly played and carried himself like a 2nd pairing defenseman last season and I thought his defensive play was certainly better than average. Plus he's still just 22 years old and with just 200 NHL games played, there's no reason to believe he has peaked in terms of his offensive game or his ability to improve his defensive play.. If he can replicate the season he had last year he's going to establish himself as a valuable/effective 2nd pairing NHL defenseman.

Most important thing here will be to try and structure a contract around the other contracts that are going to expire in 2014 (Callahan, Lundqvist, Girardi, McDonagh (RFA), Kreider (RFA), Gaborik). Rangers have leverage and need to try and use it but it would be best to try and ink MDZ to a 3 or 4 year deal. We don't want his contract set to expire with the rest of those in 2 years and on a short year deal if he continues to predominantly bring his A-Game, he is going to command a higher cap hit to re-sign to a multiyear deal then, than he is now. I bet Sather will extend a real low ball offer short-term and then a more enticing longer term offer. This will only be his 2nd contract so he may be inclined to accept a nice payday on a negotiated multiyear deal.

Last edited by wolfgaze: 01-10-2013 at 04:31 AM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 05:59 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Of course MDZ is going to do better with an elite finisher like Gabby.

So did Stepan and Richards.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 06:23 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Group III is 7 years accrued(40 NHL games in a season)or 27. Three years accrued so far. This season will make 4. The NHL and NHLPA will come up with a number for 2013 regarding what counts as an accrued season in a 48 game season. DZ is 3 accrued seasons away from group III after this season. He turns 23 in June. He is 3-4 years away from group III. 7 or 27. The NHL couldn't get the changes they wanted in group III. They wanted 10 years pro. Then it was 8 or 28. Kept it at 7 or 27. Arbitration eligible in July along with McDonagh and Hagelin if its a 1 year deal. The NHL couldn't get the changes they wanted in salary arbitration either. McDonagh is going to have a monster year. The Hockey News rated McDonagh #36 in the their top 50 players. 8 D on that list. McD was 7th. He will cost a fortune in salary arbitration but he will be worth every penny. If the Rangers have the type of year they are hoping to have,those players will be major contributors. $$$$.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 06:25 AM
Cresto
Much Disappoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Of course MDZ is going to do better with an elite finisher like Gabby.

So did Stepan and Richards.
So did Henrik

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 08:19 AM
Levitate

Oh my god it's like players who play with other talented players actually score more points someone inform the league that hfboards has figured out the formula for success in the NHL

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 08:26 AM
mullichicken25

i think because of the monster season McD had people forget how good Del Zotto was last year

he was lights out the entire season

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 09:44 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
del Zotto close to sign with NYR!

Quote:
Oilers interested in Del Zotto (e4)

There is a ton of speculation that the Oilers will make a very bold move before the puck drops on January 19th and this morning I am hearing the Oilers are showing a huge amount of interest for Rangers RFA Micheal Del Zotto. The Rangers have a ton of money tied up in a few players, and with next years Cap falling the Rangers are in a bind... while they don't want to lose Del Zotto, the Oilers could give NY something it does need. "Talent on Entry Level Contracts..."
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...ottoe4/1/48335

Looks good imo

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 09:48 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
That would leave a gaping hole in our defense. As usual, Eklund makes zero ****ing sense.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote