HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 7)

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2013, 10:51 PM
Percyma

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
People on Peterborough fan boards are really ripping the Petes for getting fleeced in this deal
Maybe Mark Hunter is not the only Gm who can take people to the cleaners
This time Warren dont brag
So if the Koekkoek to Windsor deal is indeed a reality, which I'm guessing it is, here is the fallout from the two trades between the Spitfires and Petes this season:

to Peterborough:

Derek Schoenmakers (flipped for Nick Czinder lol)
Brandon Devlin
Michael Clarke
2014: 2nd round
2015: 2nd round

To Windsor:

Zach Lorentz (flipped for Alex Aleardi)
Slater Koekkoek
Trevor Murphy

Well done, Warren Rychel!

Old
01-09-2013, 10:51 PM
LeafsFan18
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
2015 (NIA 2nd, SUD 2nd).
After this trade the Spits will have zero 2nds in 2015, one has been removed due to the sanctions.

Old
01-09-2013, 10:52 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
People on Peterborough fan boards are really ripping the Petes for getting fleeced in this deal
Maybe Mark Hunter is not the only Gm who can take people to the cleaners
This time Warren dont brag
The bizarre part is some fans say Bateman better have been a part of the deal. Bateman was really the make or break part? He hasn't been good for 1.5 years so far in Windsor. Even if Bateman was part of the deal I imagine Peterborough fans would quickly grow tired of him.

Old
01-09-2013, 10:52 PM
hockeylegend11

Fans and Observers were looking for Ryychel to do something big and I think he did at a cost that was affordable and reasonable

Old
01-09-2013, 10:54 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsFan18 View Post
After this trade the Spits will have zero 2nds in 2015, one has been removed due to the sanctions.
Draft Schmaft LeafsFan lol,but Windsor has an all important ist rder

Old
01-09-2013, 11:00 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Understand what you're saying but let's be realistic here Koekkoek hasn't been that good, he has put up points but awful in his own zone and very much a riverboat gambler. There weren't many fits out there for Koekkoek I bet.
He hasn't been good, but Peterborough is a terrible situation. Now he could be a malcontent underachiever like Marchese, but Slater was also drafted 10th overall into the NHL for a reason.

Warren did his part, now it's up to Boughner to get through to Koekkoek and get him to play defence, and fix our powerplay.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:10 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Fans and Observers were looking for Ryychel to do something big and I think he did at a cost that was affordable and reasonable
I understand what you're saying I still question the big picture view though. Two of their top 6 forwards are gone after this year Koko, Aleardi. I am sure you would agree the bottom 6 would have to be revamped Clark will be gone, Studnicka is questionable OHL talent. With Windsor all but admitting playoffs or bust this year I bet you see very little of DeKort moving forward making goaltending a huge question mark next year. The picks are dwindling down again they will probably just throw away all 2014 picks to try and go for it next year. I thought we were trying to avoid being mediocre, try to make a run and be mediocre again?

Old
01-09-2013, 11:14 PM
LeafsFan18
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
I understand what you're saying I still question the big picture view though. Two of their top 6 forwards are gone after this year Koko, Aleardi. I am sure you would agree the bottom 6 would have to be revamped Clark will be gone, Studnicka is questionable OHL talent. With Windsor all but admitting playoffs or bust this year I bet you see very little of DeKort moving forward making goaltending a huge question mark next year. The picks are dwindling down again they will probably just throw away all 2014 picks to try and go for it next year. I thought we were trying to avoid being mediocre, try to make a run and be mediocre again?
I think with the sanctions the Spits got have thrown a wrench into being competitive consistently, at least after 2014. They obviously plan to go all in next year with hope of big returns in 2015 for the remaining run players. Ala Campbell / Kuhnhackl

Old
01-09-2013, 11:15 PM
hockeylegend11

Going forward I think Rychel has done an excellent job in changing the landscape of this team at prices that were reasonable and cheap
They are alot more talented and faster then a week ago
Koko,Aleardi and Giftopoulous far outweigh Maletta,Lorentz and Clarke,while Koekkoek was one of the 2 most sought D-men in this trade season and was drafted 10th by the Lightning for a reason,he can flat out play
The only curious move was trading long time spit Posa,not sure of the reason otherwise a masterful job
Windsor traded 2 2nd rders but got 1 back in the Maletta,which could turn into a 2013 2nd rd selection if Niagara can garner a 2013 2nd rd pick tomorrow or before Apr1 instead of a 2014 2nd rder of which we have 3
Should be an interesting next 29 games

Old
01-09-2013, 11:19 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
The picks are dwindling down again they will probably just throw away all 2014 picks to try and go for it next year. I thought we were trying to avoid being mediocre, try to make a run and be mediocre again?
I think that whole "be constantly good - like Plymouth's 20 yr playoff's streak" mention was qualified with after we host the Mem Cup. Also the sanctions against us sort of guarantees a mediocre spot.

Aleardi and Koko will be gone, but Ho-Sang should be much better, and we'll have two import picks (or keep Pavelka as import/OA combo) and hopefully the ability to lure over an American or two - we still have one gold package and no first rounder this year.

Our defence should be set - Sieloff, Koekkoek, Ebert, Murphy, Sanvido, Bateman, Bowen, Brown all back.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:22 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
I think the x factor will be if the Spits sign Schmaltz and how they handle the Euro with might be 2 fairly high picks or 1 very high if they deal
As for Dekort he is only 17,Patterson in London played only 6 games last yr and now at 18 it looks like he will be fine
Also Evan Allan signing would be a great thing too,uu can beat the spits will be making full court presses on guys like him,,Schmaltz and Baughman,they will have the edc pks to do it

Old
01-09-2013, 11:25 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
I think that whole "be constantly good - like Plymouth's 20 yr playoff's streak" mention was qualified with after we host the Mem Cup. Also the sanctions against us sort of guarantees a mediocre spot.

Aleardi and Koko will be gone, but Ho-Sang should be much better, and we'll have two import picks (or keep Pavelka as import/OA combo) and hopefully the ability to lure over an American or two - we still have one gold package and no first rounder this year.

Our defence should be set - Sieloff, Koekkoek, Ebert, Murphy, Sanvido, Bateman, Bowen, Brown all back.
We will see after last year the D was pretty much returning plus Sieloff and it's gotten a total face lift. You would hope the D would be better but we will see the results on the ice. The hole is still pretty deep to dig out of. If Saginaw can get a W against Plymouth without Trocheck it tells me there's still some talent on that Saginaw team, it will be tough to surpass Saginaw.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:25 PM
LeafsFan18
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Throw Will Butcher into the mix and WR has options. Sanvido, Bateman or Brown could be moved. Depeneding on Ottawa's situtation next season they could toss Sanvido and high picks for Monahan

Old
01-09-2013, 11:26 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Going forward I think Rychel has done an excellent job in changing the landscape of this team at prices that were reasonable and cheap
They are alot more talented and faster then a week ago
Koko,Aleardi and Giftopoulous far outweigh Maletta,Lorentz and Clarke,while Koekkoek was one of the 2 most sought D-men in this trade season and was drafted 10th by the Lightning for a reason,he can flat out play
The only curious move was trading long time spit Posa,not sure of the reason otherwise a masterful job
Windsor traded 2 2nd rders but got 1 back in the Maletta,which could turn into a 2013 2nd rd selection if Niagara can garner a 2013 2nd rd pick tomorrow or before Apr1 instead of a 2014 2nd rder of which we have 3
Should be an interesting next 29 games
Yeah, the Posa trade is still confusing. Also really throws water on my Bateman as a forward idea because Sanvido-Posa could have been our 3rd pairing, with Adam at RW. Probably comes down to Rychels ego a bit given the price he paid for Bateman, to turn around and sell him for a 3rd and 4th (aka the Webermin return) would look terrible with an easy side by side trade package comparison.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:28 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:

Unless Bateman plays really well in the next 30 games approx he will be moved in the off sesaon,the other 7 i am okay with Baughman and Morrison in the mix

Old
01-09-2013, 11:30 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
We will see after last year the D was pretty much returning plus Sieloff and it's gotten a total face lift. You would hope the D would be better but we will see the results on the ice. The hole is still pretty deep to dig out of. If Saginaw can get a W against Plymouth without Trocheck it tells me there's still some talent on that Saginaw team, it will be tough to surpass Saginaw.
I would feel worse if they had 3 games in hand,plus Windsor plays them twice more

will be interesting for sure

Old
01-09-2013, 11:32 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
I think the x factor will be if the Spits sign Schmaltz and how they handle the Euro with might be 2 fairly high picks or 1 very high if they deal
As for Dekort he is only 17,Patterson in London played only 6 games last yr and now at 18 it looks like he will be fine
Also Evan Allan signing would be a great thing too,uu can beat the spits will be making full court presses on guys like him,,Schmaltz and Baughman,they will have the edc pks to do it
I know what you're saying but I would feel comfortable if those guys were already in the fold. Obviously the import draft is still 6+ months away. Of course in a few months we will know where Windsor stands if they get to host the Memorial Cup. Will these kids still be interested if they're not hosting?

Old
01-09-2013, 11:41 PM
Ottomatic

Spits should trade the rights to DiGiusseppe to Plymouth to see if they could get him to leave Michigan - also have the Carolina Hurricanes draft team connection. Phil could then play OA in the OHL next season if he came over now. If he doesn't come over now, he can't come to the league as an OA.

A conditional 12th rounder that becomes a 2nd rounder if he does leave school.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:47 PM
jughead42

I think it's obvious why Posa was traded. He was the captain of a team that slumped into a huge losing streak and out of the playoffs. They needed to change up the leadership on the team and they weren't about to fire any coaches. A 4th rounder from saginaw is a pretty solid pick for him, and when the playoffs roll around they're only going to play the top 2 pairings most of the time anyway. If they were making a cup run this year then maybe having that strong bottom pair is more crucial. They're just trying to worm their way into the second round, and let Sieloff chew up most of the minutes back there.

I love the deals, it's exactly the shakeup that was required at a reasonable price. It's too bad we couldn't trade Bateman, he's lucky we're thin on the blue line or he'd probably be Gleasoned. I'm pretty excited about seeing this team take the ice, it's considerably better than the one we've been watching the last couple months.

As far as 2014 go, the committee will have to give the Spitfires credit for returning Koekoek as well as likely signing some of their Americans. Those things are assets until they aren't any more.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:49 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
How was Clarke done this season (improve)? Still facing consistency issues like last? I just can't believe he got that much to the point that Pete's shot themselves in the foot or was he worth that much? If not then his potential at least?

Old
01-10-2013, 12:02 AM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
I think it's obvious why Posa was traded. He was the captain of a team that slumped into a huge losing streak and out of the playoffs. They needed to change up the leadership on the team and they weren't about to fire any coaches. A 4th rounder from saginaw is a pretty solid pick for him, and when the playoffs roll around they're only going to play the top 2 pairings most of the time anyway. If they were making a cup run this year then maybe having that strong bottom pair is more crucial. They're just trying to worm their way into the second round, and let Sieloff chew up most of the minutes back there.
Very likely a part of it. Posa wasn't going to hold anybody accountable as captain - he just didn't have the gravitas to be able to do so. Now this team becomes Kerby's officially - even if they're saying they might not name a captain the rest of the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
How was Clarke done this season (improve)? Still facing consistency issues like last? I just can't believe he got that much to the point that Pete's shot themselves in the foot or was he worth that much? If not then his potential at least?
I think he'll benefit from the icetime he'll get in Peterborough. He'll be the top line center or at worst second line center and get a lot of ice time. Here he was a checking line guy, good on faceoffs. Playing in Peterborough will give him the opportunity to be a complete player and play in all situations.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:04 AM
OHLTG

Clarke is a kid you kind of have to like, but at the same time, it's tough to like him all the time. Very good kid, great defensively, great on the draw, but his offence is extremely inconsistent.

For instance...

Scored in 3 straight to start season.

Nothing in 5 games.

Four point night against SSM

Next 6 of 7 games no goals.

One goal in NOV.

One goal in DEC.

If he can find his offence, he'll be a great two-way forward. The key is finding it, though. He has the shot, he has the ability, but something was missing. Hopefully, should this all pan out, he'll figure it out with the Petes.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:07 AM
OHLTG

I know this isn't from either team, but, you can't get much more official than...

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

TB 1st rounder, defenceman Slater Koekkoek, has been traded from Peterborough to Windsor for COL prospect Michael Clarke and draft picks.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:15 AM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
Clarke is a kid you kind of have to like, but at the same time, it's tough to like him all the time. Very good kid, great defensively, great on the draw, but his offence is extremely inconsistent.

If he can find his offence, he'll be a great two-way forward. The key is finding it, though. He has the shot, he has the ability, but something was missing. Hopefully, should this all pan out, he'll figure it out with the Petes.
I think he was overshadowed here. I think he has it in him to be a leader, but this was never going to be his team. He was a second round pick that sort of was screwed over here because we had Webermin, Vail, Ebert out of the same draft taking up the 16 yr old spots. I think this is a good move for him - I hope he tries to embrace the move and the Pete's team which seems to be floundering and directionless.

I could see him as captain there next year, and then returning for an OA season.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:21 AM
jughead42

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
I know this isn't from either team, but, you can't get much more official than...

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

TB 1st rounder, defenceman Slater Koekkoek, has been traded from Peterborough to Windsor for COL prospect Michael Clarke and draft picks.
Great job. Not even the biggest chicken little on HFBoards windsor can complain about a single move this deadline. Everything we wanted, we got. New leadership? Check. Add arguably the best defenceman available and he'll be back next year? Check. Upgrade overagers? Check. Add elite playmaking center? Check. Don't fritter away precious assets on dubious talent? Check. It may not be enough to turn this thing around, but it's about all that could have been done to salvage this year as well as next. So happy, hopefully all of them will be suiting up tomorrow.

For all those guys saying Koekoek is only a river boat gambler, I just saw his draft video and Bob MacKenzie said he was used on the shut down pairing when he played for Canada at the Ivan Hlinka tournament. He has to be more than just an offensive defenseman to be taken that highly by Steve Yzerman. They aren't going to rush him either.

Closed Thread