HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - Part XXXI - Nobody Loves Raymond Edition

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2013, 01:33 AM
Royal Canuck
Go Canucks Go!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
If I was guessing I'd say Luongo and Edler and Booth to Anahiem for Getzlaf.

Anahiem flips Luongo to Toronto.

Perry follows Getzlaf, signing in Vancouver as a FA.
That's quite the overpayment for just Getzlaf, and it would work out fine if Perry does sign in Vancouver, but that's quite the risk, I wouldn't want to count on that.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Old
01-09-2013, 04:55 AM
GoTeamDom

I've been away from these boards since the lockout, but since when has everyone been suddenly OK with trading Kesler? Usually this kind of talk is immediately shot down.

I like that he is on my team, but I have never really been a fan of his; my baseless speculation is that he will bolt at the end of his contract.

If we were to trade him, I think he'd only waive to go to Detroit since he's from Michigan, and he goes into hulk mode every time his daddy is watching.

Kesler for Helm + Brendan Smith + 1st. Will have to find a 2C through another trade as Wings just don't have one.

Old
01-09-2013, 06:31 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Weiss, Petrovic, 1st
for
Raymond Kcon

for such a great deal we amnesty buyout Luongo, and Florida picks him up for $3m per over 6 years.

Hmm I wonder who else we could try this on who could return the favor

Amnesty buyout Luongo, Hawks sign him cheap.

Hawks Amnesty buyout Hossa, Canucks sign him cheap.

Old
01-09-2013, 07:23 AM
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

The thing is, for the Panthers it has a lot more to do with them having Markstrom than Luongo's cap hit. Paying half of it will not make them that much more willing to part with assets.

Old
01-09-2013, 07:27 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
The thing is, for the Panthers it has a lot more to do with them having Markstrom than Luongo's cap hit. Paying half of it will not make them that much more willing to part with assets.
They could always on sell Luongo in 3 years time. At $3m per year he fetch a good return.

Old
01-09-2013, 09:20 AM
billvanseattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Weiss, Petrovic, 1st
for
Raymond Kcon

for such a great deal we amnesty buyout Luongo, and Florida picks him up for $3m per over 6 years.

doubtful, but either way can't be done until the end of the season ....

Old
01-09-2013, 01:44 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Weiss, Petrovic, 1st
for
Raymond Kcon

It could work for Luongo as we know Florida is his prefered location. With Hossa though? Who says he actually signs in Vancouver after the buyout?

Old
01-09-2013, 01:50 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Perry and Getzlaf in Vancouver would be epic. Neither probably would want play here though

Old
01-09-2013, 02:06 PM
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

Idea for the thread title- "Nobody loves Raymond"

I can't take full credit for the idea, though.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:10 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Perry and Getzlaf in Vancouver would be epic. Neither probably would want play here though
Perry would.

He would even moreso if Luongo was still the goalie here.

Old
01-09-2013, 02:17 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Perry would.

He would even moreso if Luongo was still the goalie here.
Perry is goin to Pitt as a FA. Tight with Sid

Old
01-09-2013, 04:49 PM
FiveAndGame

I think the Canucks should go all in on acquiring Perry. He would be excellent beside Kesler and with the option to buyout contracts, we could probably squeeze him under the cap. If we were to trade Lu and buyout a defenseman, we could have about 18 mil available next year.

Last edited by FiveAndGame: 01-09-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old
01-09-2013, 05:19 PM
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveAndGame View Post
I think the Canucks should go all in on acquiring Perry. He would be excellent beside Kesler and with the option to buyout contracts, we could probably squeeze him under the cap. If we were to trade Lu and buyout a defenseman, we could have about 18 mil available next year.
+ 1.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:59 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Greetings Nuck fans. I'm just wondering what options you all are discussing concerning Keith Ballard. Pay him and play him? Amnesty buy-out next summer? Soft deal in which you add assets to move him? Maybe a salary retention trade?

Just curious what the overall feeling is.

Thanks.

01-10-2013, 01:02 AM
Peter Griffin

Trade him to Phoenix for Hanzal+1st I believe was the consensus but we're somewhat negotiable.

But honestly, most likely play out the season and then re-address the situation in the off-season. Could be a buy-out candidate but it depends on his play, what other moves the Canucks make and what interest there is around the league for him.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:06 AM
I in the Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Greetings Nuck fans. I'm just wondering what options you all are discussing concerning Keith Ballard. Pay him and play him? Amnesty buy-out next summer? Soft deal in which you add assets to move him? Maybe a salary retention trade?

Thanks.
My vote is whilever cap space isn't needed, and whilever there isn't an upgrade in his position (#5 dman on this team), then he's welcome to stay as long as he'd like... So far, so good... I'm personally not interested to move Ballard at all, right now... If, however, the Canucks need the cap space, or acquire another top 4 dman, then he's definitely a candidate to be off the team (by whatever means)...

Old
01-10-2013, 01:09 AM
Samzilla

Seems to me like the general consensus around here is we're not going to be able to re-sign Edler. Really? Cause losing Edler after Ehrhoff would blow.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:14 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:

Thanks.
Hard to say at this stage, with so many balls still up in the air (Luongo, Edler as UFA in july). I don't see him here long term we are overloaded on LS (Edler, Hamhuis, Garrison).

1. Trade preferred

2. try waivers before a buyout.

3. There is the option of arranging it with another team that they give us something like a 2nd or a prospects and we buy Ballard out (2/3) under amnesty and he signs a cheap deal at 1/3 price with that. A trade a by any other name, and Ballard still gets his full salary. (assuming the NHL doesn't have a fit).

4. all else fails a buyout

Old
01-10-2013, 01:15 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzilla View Post
Seems to me like the general consensus around here is we're not going to be able to re-sign Edler. Really? Cause losing Edler after Ehrhoff would blow.
I'd like to resign him but we need a contingency. Only Edler's camp and the brass know what's happening. One thing we know is Gillis has stacked the LS.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:16 AM
ZenMaster*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
It's not the question if they would want to play here, its more of a matter if Anaheim would ever let 2/3rds of their top line leave. The only trade that would allow these two to leave is for two first line players

Old
01-10-2013, 01:18 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
It could work for Luongo as we know Florida is his prefered location. With Hossa though? Who says he actually signs in Vancouver after the buyout?
I doubt they'd let a team get away with it and you'd probably get fined 1st rounds for being a smarty pants. I was just musing out loud.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:18 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:

Thanks.

He won't be bought out. I think he ends up in NYI or OTT at the end of the year. Which would mean that they have played him for the season here.

I also don't think it will be a soft deal.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:33 AM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

vCash: 50
Quote:

Thanks.
If he is traded this season, it would likely be to fill our need for a 3rd line center.

However, in the off-season it's a completely different story.
First I'm guessing the Canucks will look to move him for an asset that can help them right away (whatever our need will be at the time).
If we cant do that, then look to move him for the best offer (prospect/draft pick).*
If no one wants him, then buy him out.*

*only if we need to clear cap space to re-sign Edler. If Edler signs elsewhere and we cant sign/trade for a better d-man than Ballard, then we keep him.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
01-10-2013, 01:36 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
He won't be bought out. I think he ends up in NYI or OTT at the end of the year. Which would mean that they have played him for the season here.

I also don't think it will be a soft deal.
One of two things will happen

a. he sucks 2010-11 style and is untradable.

b. continues his 2011-12 bounce back and fetches a decent return.

Either way, as you say, he's likely to stay here because we won't get a good offer atm.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:49 AM
GoTeamDom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzilla View Post
This, and basically only this, is why I'd be in favour of trading Edler, much to the chagrin of other posters on this site. I would hate to lose a top defenseman to free agency for nothing 6 times out of 6 (Jovo, Ohlund, Mitchell, Ehrhoff, Salo, Edler) instead of cashing in for premium assets.

It's nice to say you'll just buy out Ballard to pay for Edler, but the team actually gets worse by doing this since you'll have to replace Ballard with something. And that's assuming Edler returns to form following his back surgeries.

Also, the Canucks is still a business. Buying out Ballard would cost $2.8m, and after losing half a season of revenue, this is the kind of unnecessary expenditure that sinks successful businesses.

Trading Edler for high calibre players on entry level contracts which will extend the Canucks window to complete. It frees up cap space for a true 3rd line centre to build a secondary scoring line around, or pays for a true 1st line scorer to pair with Kesler. Either of these players would probably need to be brought in by trade as well, and an Edler trade could bring in necessary assets to make this deal get done.

We are overloaded on LHD, and even though he's the current whipping boy, Ballard is a quality defenseman who is slightly overpaid. A Ballard-Garrison 2nd pairing is a slight downgrade over an Edler-Salo 2nd pairing; that being said, an Edler-Garrison pairing is a slight downgrade over an Edler-Salo pairing.

It is nice to keep around a player we have watched rocket his way up the system (via the Rockets, no less), and just throw around money to make people go away, but I doubt this is how the Canucks run a business. Gillis has had to part ways with his own clients (Naslund, Demitra, Schneider) when they no longer fit the puzzle. He has quickly changed gears (Sturm) when the pieces did not fit. He kept Ehrhoff when it was clear that the team had a shot to win it all, and let him walk when it didn't make financial sense to keep him. I hardly think he is as an emotional manager as a vocal minority of this board.

That being said, I'd be in favour of keeping Edler under the following circumstances:
- signs a long term contract AAV $4.6m or less
- no NTC

I don't see either of these things happening. I said in another thread that Edler isn't the missing piece between this team being a Stanley Cup contender and not a Stanley Cup contender. Likewise, Edler isn't the missing piece between a playoff team and not a playoff team. Makes sense to explore your options entirely before hitching your wagon to him longterm.

Last edited by GoTeamDom: 01-10-2013 at 04:55 AM.
Closed Thread