HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 7)

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2013, 12:55 AM
LeafsFan18
Go Leafs Go

vCash: 500
Some interesting videos on Slater Koekkoek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7kYdWp2E3E - Slater's draft video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWE0ZS-tDuk - Peterborough tribute

Old
01-10-2013, 02:08 AM
OHLEYE

Is Clarke on a gold card?

Old
01-10-2013, 02:52 AM
LeafsFan18
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLEYE View Post
Is Clarke on a gold card?
No he is not^

http://youtu.be/84gu78RWsS4

Another video of Koekkoek, fast forward to the two minute mark

Old
01-10-2013, 06:09 AM
big papa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
Great job. Not even the biggest chicken little on HFBoards windsor can complain about a single move this deadline. Everything we wanted, we got. New leadership? Check. Add arguably the best defenceman available and he'll be back next year? Check. Upgrade overagers? Check. Add elite playmaking center? Check. Don't fritter away precious assets on dubious talent? Check. It may not be enough to turn this thing around, but it's about all that could have been done to salvage this year as well as next. So happy, hopefully all of them will be suiting up tomorrow.

For all those guys saying Koekoek is only a river boat gambler, I just saw his draft video and Bob MacKenzie said he was used on the shut down pairing when he played for Canada at the Ivan Hlinka tournament. He has to be more than just an offensive defenseman to be taken that highly by Steve Yzerman. They aren't going to rush him either.
Agree, i think there is a small small chance that he could even be back as an overager but i highly doubt that, TBL wont rush him as there using the Detroit way for there prospects.

Old
01-10-2013, 06:09 AM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Spits should trade the rights to DiGiusseppe to Plymouth to see if they could get him to leave Michigan - also have the Carolina Hurricanes draft team connection. Phil could then play OA in the OHL next season if he came over now. If he doesn't come over now, he can't come to the league as an OA.

A conditional 12th rounder that becomes a 2nd rounder if he does leave school.
Sounds like a great out-of-the-box idea.

Wonder if WR may yet have a couple of possible deals to make before noon.
If no cards are left he can still trade picks for picks..

Kuchmey for picks?

Question......if a player clears OHL waivers could he be signed to a Jr B card & then brought up for a few games if an emergency arises?

Old
01-10-2013, 06:41 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch1943 View Post
Sounds like a great out-of-the-box idea.

Wonder if WR may yet have a couple of possible deals to make before noon.
If no cards are left he can still trade picks for picks..

Kuchmey for picks?

Question......if a player clears OHL waivers could he be signed to a Jr B card & then brought up for a few games if an emergency arises?
1st I will answer your questions,yes he can trade picks for picks today if he wishes even pick up prospects who are B cards,Kuchmey I would not trade him,then u have no signed goalie in your system should Pav or DeKort get hurt,yes a player who clears waivers can be brought up as an affiliate player,teams generally put such players on their 50 player list
As for Deguisseppe I have a better iidea,if Spits can convince him to sign with Lasalle,he is a Canadian easier to do then get a release from USA hockey,sign him,he is under a b card,play his 9 games,makes him eligibile for next yr as an o/a,wait for Lasalle to finish their season and bring him up to finish year in Windsor
Obviously discussions with Carolina would have to place
Best case sceniario place him or arrange for him to be on a non play off bound B team,get his 9 games in and then call him up for balance of season
One way I think to circumvent the rules

Old
01-10-2013, 07:09 AM
izzys

ok boys what a day i had yesturday wow long day and long night at the arena ......

let me start on the bateman toppic

is adam wasnt a 1st round pic and didnt have the gold package.... and we didnt give up 4 or 5 draft pics for him ..... he wouldnt be that bad , he is still a 17 year old kid maybe its taking him time to get into the league ( i donno ) , but i still like him on our team( dont like that he has a gold package but at the end of the day its all good )

the trades that were made

koekkoek - if he comes back next year WOW great trade
aleardi for lorentz - another great trade both wont be back next year
posa - i like the trade bc wr couldnt get what he wants with bateman so now this keeps bateman on the ice to develop then in the stands
remy - he is going to be a guy that fans like, he will score you some goals kill pk an is a biig guy out there on the forcheck

i have to say one thing about wr trades this year is wow great job

Old
01-10-2013, 07:26 AM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Does WR read these threads? Seems like he has abided by some of your wishes. I must say, he has done a pretty decent job too.
Overall, what is the sense - pretty happy? I think a playoff appearance this year is all but giftwrapped and heading into next year offers a much better outlook than it did say two weeks ago.

Old
01-10-2013, 07:30 AM
OHLTG

I realize it's late, and we've had all but confirmation, but I'm told, yeah, it's Clarke and picks.

Old
01-10-2013, 07:38 AM
izzys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
Does WR read these threads? Seems like he has abided by some of your wishes. I must say, he has done a pretty decent job too.
Overall, what is the sense - pretty happy? I think a playoff appearance this year is all but giftwrapped and heading into next year offers a much better outlook than it did say two weeks ago.
with what he has done in the last couple of months bring players in

picking up players like

murphy and lorentz ( then flipping him to pick up aleardi )
koekkoek

we just got 2 defencemen that r top 4 talent in the ohl

Old
01-10-2013, 07:40 AM
izzys

i guess we did only have one card left because if we didnt u know for a fact that quine would have been coming over with koekkoek

Old
01-10-2013, 08:04 AM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
1st I will answer your questions,yes he can trade picks for picks today if he wishes even pick up prospects who are B cards,Kuchmey I would not trade him,then u have no signed goalie in your system should Pav or DeKort get hurt,yes a player who clears waivers can be brought up as an affiliate player,teams generally put such players on their 50 player list
As for Deguisseppe I have a better iidea,if Spits can convince him to sign with Lasalle,he is a Canadian easier to do then get a release from USA hockey,sign him,he is under a b card,play his 9 games,makes him eligibile for next yr as an o/a,wait for Lasalle to finish their season and bring him up to finish year in Windsor
Obviously discussions with Carolina would have to place
Best case sceniario place him or arrange for him to be on a non play off bound B team,get his 9 games in and then call him up for balance of season
One way I think to circumvent the rules
I figure if there was a chance for us to get him that we would have left a card open for him. I can't see anybody leaving NCAA for Jr B. I assume WR contacted him and said there was zero chance he was leaving, so my trade idea would be all for nothing as well. If I was Carolina I would have maybe looked at getting him to move to the CHL, most college high picks leave school after their junior year to join the AHL, which would mean after next season, so coming here for a year would be a better bridge between NCAA Hockey and the AHL. Also he got a taste of the college experience - sometimes that's romanticized in the minds of some and turns out is not for everybody.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:06 AM
izzys

i really like our line up going into todays game and the rest of this year

like someone already said its on BB to get this ship going ,, he has the horses now its time to make them move

rychel/koko/aleardi
johnson/vail/marchese
remy/ ho-sang / clark
studnicak/ ????? / verbeek

sieloff / murphy
ebert/ koekkoek
sanvido/ bateman

pav
dekort

Old
01-10-2013, 08:11 AM
Ottomatic

^One potential issue with the influx and turnover is there is really no time to put systems together and to get the players used to each other - we have three games in the next four days and need to start winning all of them.

I assume we'll get Murphy-Koekkoek pairing this weekend given they'd have some experience playing with each other.

We have a Koko and a Cukoo.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:18 AM
Nyax

Quote:
We have a Koko and a Cukoo.
The Spits are Cukoo for Koko Puffs.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:20 AM
Ottomatic

I think the Spits will make one more move today - to acquire a depth forward on a Jr B card that could get 10 games up with us this year.

Would Anthony Cortelessa qualify now that he's passed through waivers this season? Or is he still on an A-card while on the Erie protected roster?

Old
01-10-2013, 08:30 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
I think it's obvious why Posa was traded. He was the captain of a team that slumped into a huge losing streak and out of the playoffs. They needed to change up the leadership on the team and they weren't about to fire any coaches. A 4th rounder from saginaw is a pretty solid pick for him, and when the playoffs roll around they're only going to play the top 2 pairings most of the time anyway. If they were making a cup run this year then maybe having that strong bottom pair is more crucial. They're just trying to worm their way into the second round, and let Sieloff chew up most of the minutes back there.

I love the deals, it's exactly the shakeup that was required at a reasonable price. It's too bad we couldn't trade Bateman, he's lucky we're thin on the blue line or he'd probably be Gleasoned. I'm pretty excited about seeing this team take the ice, it's considerably better than the one we've been watching the last couple months.

As far as 2014 go, the committee will have to give the Spitfires credit for returning Koekoek as well as likely signing some of their Americans. Those things are assets until they aren't any more.

I would agree with some of what you're saying but.. I think this deadline is only a success if they make the playoffs. They didn't make these moves especially Aleardi and keeping Khokhlachev just for next year. The committee can't exactly give Windsor credit for signing American prospects unless they actually have and Butcher and Allen have both signed their LOI's to attend Denver and Michigan respectively.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:31 AM
Nyax

Getting Koekkoek for Clarke and a couple of seconds is a real good trade, but my god does the bottom six forward situation leave a lot to be desired. It's a shame they don't have another card left to add a top 9 guy. I guess Koko will have to play half the game.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:37 AM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyax View Post
Getting Koekkoek for Clarke and a couple of seconds is a real good trade, but my god does the bottom six forward situation leave a lot to be desired. It's a shame they don't have another card left to add a top 9 guy. I guess Koko will have to play half the game.
Any overager forwards cut and pass through waivers? Could we then sign them to a Jr B card? We could also look to the W or Q for this type of signing. I don't mind our 3rd line really that much, but our 4th line is really lacking and doesn't provide any depth should we lose any of our top 9 to injury.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:41 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyax View Post
Your bottom 3 are not going to play much anyways,and while I agree I would have liked a better 3rd line,which will probably be Verbeek,Johnson,Giftopoulous,good speed and Verbeek has shown improvement since Christmas,though Studnicka-Clark-Bowen line wont scare people they will crash and bang,most teams 4th lines dont scare me anyways,but i get what u mean

Old
01-10-2013, 08:45 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Any overager forwards cut and pass through waivers? Could we then sign them to a Jr B card? We could also look to the W or Q for this type of signing. I don't mind our 3rd line really that much, but our 4th line is really lacking and doesn't provide any depth should we lose any of our top 9 to injury.
Cant answer that question,especially since Windsor has only 2 o/a, if thats the case I would play Myles Doan,but im sure u cant
Nothing saying u cant sign free agent 18 and 19 year olds though ie Alex Seguin from Leamington,or Derek Palazzolo from Chatham,or Korey Morgan from Laalle both of them 94 born forwards
Keep in mind Brendan Mccann can be still be used as an affiliate player as well

Old
01-10-2013, 08:46 AM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
I think the Spits will make one more move today - to acquire a depth forward on a Jr B card that could get 10 games up with us this year.

Would Anthony Cortelessa qualify now that he's passed through waivers this season? Or is he still on an A-card while on the Erie protected roster?
I think people are getting way to ahead, there is a lot of ground to gain to make he play offs and we dont know how these guys will play together...good looking teams sometimes just don't work out I know its Basketball but look at the Lakers, great team and I feel they have no chemistry. Will see how the Spits do on the ice and they have to hit the ground running, I mean 7 points out is a pretty steep hole even with games in hand, there can't be players taking nights off and the best players on the team have to be the best players every game... I hope with a bit more of a solid team infront of him Pavelka maybe can break his slump and play great again, when the guy plays with confidence and to the top of his ability he is one of the best goaltenders in the league. And what about he Koekoek is the deal official yet? And if it does I doubt he's on his way here without confirmation and I doubt he would get here from Peterbourgh in time for game time.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:48 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
I think people are getting way to ahead, there is a lot of ground to gain to make he play offs and we dont know how these guys will play together...good looking teams sometimes just don't work out I know its Basketball but look at the Lakers, great team and I feel they have no chemistry. Will see how the Spits do on the ice and they have to hit the ground running, I mean 7 points out is a pretty steep hole even with games in hand, there can't be players taking nights off and the best players on the team have to be the best players every game... I hope with a bit more of a solid team infront of him Pavelka maybe can break his slump and play great again, when the guy plays with confidence and to the top of his ability he is one of the best goaltenders in the league. And what about he Koekoek is the deal official yet? And if it does I doubt he's on his way here without confirmation and I doubt he would get here from Peterbourgh in time for game time.
My guess is that he will be here by 2 or 3 oclock at the latest,I expect him in the lineup

Old
01-10-2013, 08:49 AM
spits2timechamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
My guess is that he will be here by 2 or 3 oclock at the latest,I expect him in the lineup
I thought id post this for anyone that is worried that the trade won't go through

Trevor Murphy ‏@tmurph11
Reunited #boys #lads #gameday @Kookers29

Old
01-10-2013, 09:04 AM
Nyax

I think the writing is on the wall that this team will finish in 8th. They are 11 points behind 7th place Soo. I know they have 3 games in hand but the Soo have been playing very well as of late, and 11 points is a fairly big mountain to climb. They should be able to catch a Trochek less Spirit and hold off a young Erie team that is playing much better since the coaching change. The bottom line is they'll play London and get taken to the woodshed, and Warren will be left wishing he would have gotten something for Koko.

Closed Thread