HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers interested in Luongo?

Old
01-10-2013, 03:43 AM
The Kassian Train
228 LBS of Pain

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
33 is not young, and he has what...9 more years on that contract? He's approaching his decline years. That hurts value a lot. It's not like we'd be acquiring a young guy on the rise.
Tim Thomas, Dominic Hasek, Martin Brodeur heck Ronny Hextall all beg to differ that 33 is old for a goaltender.

The Kassian Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 04:08 AM
Krishna

And they are all exceptions.

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 04:12 AM
Flyerfan808

I wouldn't be surprised if Holmgren was just kicking tires on Luongo, trying to see what the asking price would be... and I'd be equally as surprised to learn that it's a rumor spread by overzealous media types to get more followers on twatter.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 04:28 AM
BillDineen

So I wake up to 6 pages about Luongo to Philly????? If anyone guessed this in the "Bold Predictions" thread, they win!

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 04:57 AM
CJV123

Why does Vancouver think it is dealing from a position of strength here? They should be begging teams to take that contract off their hands. Luongo's value on ice minus his costs against the cap is a negative number. This is farcical. They should give PHI a 1st round pick to take him off their hands. TOR was right to laugh in their face.

CJV123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 06:14 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJV123 View Post
Why does Vancouver think it is dealing from a position of strength here? They should be begging teams to take that contract off their hands. Luongo's value on ice minus his costs against the cap is a negative number. This is farcical. They should give PHI a 1st round pick to take him off their hands. TOR was right to laugh in their face.
Agreed. This rumor was probably originated from Vancouver to try and create a market of Lou. The fact is Vancouver has to trade him. Nobody is going to back a backup goaltender over 5 million for another 10 years. The only option they have is to buy him out this summer. If I was a GM, I would definitely make them give up something else to get rid of him, like at least a 2nd rd pick.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 06:25 AM
SuperAlmeida

Any interest in Jonathan Bernier? He would be a much cheaper and younger alternative to Ilya Bryzgalov.

SuperAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 06:26 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kassian Train View Post
Tim Thomas, Dominic Hasek, Martin Brodeur heck Ronny Hextall all beg to differ that 33 is old for a goaltender.
Those are exceptions to the rule. By the way aging Ron Hextall was barely starting goaltender calibre any more.

It's not Luongo's age but the fact that he carries the contract of a franchise goaltender but no longer plays like one or why the heck do you want to get rid of him?

The cap ceiling is coming down and what was already a risky contract length wise has now become even less attractive.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 06:44 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
It's not Luongo's age but the fact that he carries the contract of a franchise goaltender but no longer plays like one or why the heck do you want to get rid of him?
Because we have a 26 year old in Schneider who's just as good and a little cheaper? Why wouldn't we then ship off Bob for some help. But Luongo is still among the best in the business - check the numbers.

monster_bertuzzi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 06:56 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Depending on what this deal turns out to be (or if it turns out to even come to fruition) I will reserve judgment. If they get him for nothing and deal Bryz I don't see it being a big deal. Just swapping one bad contract for another bad contract. Luongo is definitely better than Bryz, so if they do a deal with Luongo and don't have to give up much, I think you can count it as a win.

That being said, I don't think the 'Nucks would deal him for peanuts so again, I will wait to see what any deal turns out to be.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 07:49 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Because we have a 26 year old in Schneider who's just as good and a little cheaper? Why wouldn't we then ship off Bob for some help. But Luongo is still among the best in the business - check the numbers.
It is because you have a 26 year old in Schneider that you have no leverage. Backup goalies cost about a million. Lou is over 5 million. That 4 plus million difference is a 2nd pair defenseman or 20 goal scorer that Vancouver can't afford now. Lou being good changes nothing about that.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 08:05 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
It's weird to say this, but...

If Eklund says the Flyers aren't in on this trade, then I am 100% sure Luongo won't be here any time soon.
I've actually met Eklund a couple times over the past few months, and after being a big time doubter forever...I actually really respect him.

BTW, is "The Klotz" a new thing since I've been away? I like it!

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 08:11 AM
ginner classic

While I can imagine what the scenario is for Philly to acquire Lou (Bryz in the minors followed by a buyout), I cannot see the world tilting on its axis enough for this to happen. They may be terrified of the penalties in place now that may have given an out with Bryz in the future, but this is pure fantasy.

This is a drug induced rumor that makes no sense. Philly should have traded the 8th pick last year to Vancouver for Schneider and they (Vancouver) should have accepted it. We would all be better off. That did not happen. Time to move on. Bryz is in Philly and I don't think there is an owner in pro sports dumb enough to take a 30 million plus bath on a buyout one year after signing a player.

Back to the insanity of the Toronto discussions.

ginner classic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 08:13 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner classic View Post
While I can imagine what the scenario is for Philly to acquire Lou (Bryz in the minors followed by a buyout), I cannot see the world tilting on its axis enough for this to happen. They may be terrified of the penalties in place now that may have given an out with Bryz in the future, but this is pure fantasy.

This is a drug induced rumor that makes no sense. Philly should have traded the 8th pick last year to Vancouver for Schneider and they (Vancouver) should have accepted it. We would all be better off. That did not happen. Time to move on. Bryz is in Philly and I don't think there is an owner in pro sports dumb enough to take a 30 million plus bath on a buyout one year after signing a player.

Back to the insanity of the Toronto discussions.
Bryzgalov in the minors accomplishes very little. It would only save 900k on the cap.

Not to mention Bryz has a NMC, so he can't be waived without his permission.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:14 AM
ginner classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
This thread is now a shoe thread.

I bought a pair of these recently
I don't know about anyone else but it really bothers me that the right one is also on top. That really needs to be a left shoe.

This picture was photo-shopped for sure.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:17 AM
ginner classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Bryzgalov in the minors accomplishes very little. It would only save 900k on the cap.

Not to mention Bryz has a NMC, so he can't be waived without his permission.
Yeah so can we put this to bed now?

Old
01-10-2013, 08:23 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner classic View Post
Yeah so can we put this to bed now?
I mean...not that I think this rumor means anything, but not being able to put Bryz in the minors wouldn't prevent them from acquiring Luongo if they wanted to.

They can fit Luongo under the cap this season thanks to Pronger's (and maybe Walker's) LTIR.

Then in the summer they buy out Bryz.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:30 AM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kassian Train View Post
Half of the players you mentioned are two of the best goaltenders of all time, might not be the best example.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 09:09 AM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I've actually met Eklund a couple times over the past few months, and after being a big time doubter forever...I actually really respect him.
I'm not indicting his personality, just his ability to produce facts from rumors. Usually he's only right with Flyers, so I'm confident.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 09:09 AM
El Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJV123 View Post
I'm now pretty sure this is what cost Brian Burke the his GM job. He probably was adamant about making the deal and that was the final straw with the Leafs' big brass.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 09:19 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Emperor View Post
I'm now pretty sure this is what cost Brian Burke the his GM job. He probably was adamant about making the deal and that was the final straw with the Leafs' big brass.
I pretty sure it would be the other way around. Burke despises those types of contracts, and refuses to sign anyone with one, hence why the Leafs never got any big free agents. Of any team in the league that has the resources to hand out those back-diving deals, it's the Leafs. Burke chose never to take advantage of the resources he had. Also, MLSE, as is anyone else, is unconvinced with what the Leafs have going on in goal. Beyond that, Luongo is a star in this league, and they'll want marketable figures.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 09:25 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
I'm not indicting his personality, just his ability to produce facts from rumors. Usually he's only right with Flyers, so I'm confident.
Yea I hear you. I meant more in the sense that, he 100% does have legitimate NHL connections. He just simply reports most everything he hears. He's definitely connected to the Flyers.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:52 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
Half of the players you mentioned are two of the best goaltenders of all time, might not be the best example.
Lol that was the first thing I thought too.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 10:17 AM
rban*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Actually now that I stop laughing at it, it's really not THAT bad if you look at it.

Could be :
To Philadelphia :
Luongo
Edler

To Vancouver :
Timonen
some other piece not named Schenn, Couturier, Voracek, or Giroux.

Then

To Philadelphia:
something of value from Chicago/Toronto
some other piece

to Chicago/Toronto :
Bryz with the flyers picking up most of his salary
Umm real dreaming here. Yeah Nucks would give up a rising Edler and get back a broken down over the hill Timonen who's probably a few months away from retirement.

DOnt think they'd want Timo at all.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 10:23 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
It is because you have a 26 year old in Schneider that you have no leverage. Backup goalies cost about a million. Lou is over 5 million. That 4 plus million difference is a 2nd pair defenseman or 20 goal scorer that Vancouver can't afford now. Lou being good changes nothing about that.
and even with this bad leverage, if luongo had 2 years left with the same cap hit he would bring back a 2nd rounder minimum.

BUT HE HAS 9 YEARS LEFT, at age 33.

No leverage...

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote