HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Brian Burke

Old
01-10-2013, 03:16 AM
var

vCash: 500
Brian Burke

Which teams would seem in demand?

Why?

var is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 03:19 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Don't think he'll be an NHL GM for a while. Not for another year or two, at the very least.

... and in 2 years, the GM landscape might be totally different, at least as far as the "who needs one?" questions are concerned.

This is a thread that needs to exist in the summer of 2014, at the earliest.

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 03:30 AM
Oshie97

You would think with how bad he did for the Leafs nobody would want him right now but I have been surprised before. He is not a GM I would want to build my team with, any contending teams interested?

Oshie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 03:36 AM
x94Galchenyuk94x*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshie97 View Post
You would think with how bad he did for the Leafs nobody would want him right now but I have been surprised before. He is not a GM I would want to build my team with, any contending teams interested?
He didn't do bad though.. have you seen the roster he acquired? Zero prospects, and half the team isn't even in the NHL now.

x94Galchenyuk94x* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 03:37 AM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
I give it a calendar year at most before he's the GM of another team.

iPunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 03:39 AM
Jerkini

I think he'll do a lot of good in a place like Columbus. He certainly has the small market mentality necessary.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 03:42 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
I give it a calendar year at most before he's the GM of another team.
of the top of my head-- I think 20 GMS are playing nice with their bosses right now

I love to bash Burke as much as the next guy, but for those leaf fans happy about what just happened--the leafs have more talent in the system now then they did 4 years ago and better talent on the ice

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 03:58 AM
RespectYourEdlers

Burke+Gardiner for Luongo?

RespectYourEdlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 04:11 AM
JackJ

NHL job with Bettman.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 04:15 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
of the top of my head-- I think 20 GMS are playing nice with their bosses right now

I love to bash Burke as much as the next guy, but for those leaf fans happy about what just happened--the leafs have more talent in the system now then they did 4 years ago and better talent on the ice
In all fairness, my dog could have GMed the Leafs and produce an organization with more depth & skill than the Leafs had 4 years ago.
The team Burke took over might not have been able to make the AHL playoffs.

If you want to sing Burke's praises, that's fine, but you'll need to go deeper than "they're better now than they were then".

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 05:05 AM
TheGreat

I think MLSE is going to start interfering again , this new guy at the news conference seems just like Richard Peddie , (Leafs are going to ****ed over) I would rather Have Burke then the mess that is Peddie/MSLE or the w/e the new guy name is

Goodbye trying to build a stanley cup contender and hello Playoff Revenue TEAM ( I SO hope i am wrong!!)

TheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 05:11 AM
Sonny21
Registerd User

vCash: 50
Burke is a finisher. His an elite trader as well. A team that is on cusp of taking the next step or needs to would be perfect for Burke.

Sonny21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 05:21 AM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny21 View Post
Burke is a finisher. His an elite trader as well. A team that is on cusp of taking the next step or needs to would be perfect for Burke.
He had a few chances to finish with the Canucks and couldn't get us a capable starting goalie, doing it one time in a great situation doesn't mean he'll do it again. I wouldn't want all of his baggage in my organization thats for sure.

He is probably the most overrated executive in sports, any GM could have the Leafs sitting with their current amount of young players given 4 years of bottom 10 finishes, unlimited scouting and money to sign players. He should be leaving the team with some blue chip forwards, instead of zero.

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 05:27 AM
forthewild

Columbus is a team that could really use him, plus he would be inheriting some young talent and they might end up with another high pick this year.

i just have to think that Burke who is great at trading (he had a bad one but overall his record is solid) would have gotten a better return for Nash.

in addition his work in the community in Columbus would really help spread the game there.

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 05:33 AM
professorchaos

Flin Flon Bombers are definately the frontrunners

professorchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 06:05 AM
DatsyukianDeke
Dangle Dangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post

Which means nothing. Congrats Burke, you accomplished drafting some good players which is your job to do in the first place, but you failed miserably at everything else besides community work.

DatsyukianDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 06:24 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
He had a few chances to finish with the Canucks and couldn't get us a capable starting goalie, doing it one time in a great situation doesn't mean he'll do it again. I wouldn't want all of his baggage in my organization thats for sure.

He is probably the most overrated executive in sports, any GM could have the Leafs sitting with their current amount of young players given 4 years of bottom 10 finishes, unlimited scouting and money to sign players. He should be leaving the team with some blue chip forwards, instead of zero.
I like how you say forwards while ignoring Gardiner and Rielly. He also picked up Kessel and JVR(not exactly old). Most GM's try not to tank and get the first overall pick year after year like certain teams.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 06:52 AM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by x94Galchenyuk94x View Post
He didn't do bad though.. have you seen the roster he acquired? Zero prospects, and half the team isn't even in the NHL now.
Perfect time to rebuild. Not sign Komisarek to a mega stupid deal and go for 8th place.

As far as OP goes, I think Brian Burke wants to stay in Toronto at least for the short term, and possibly longer term as an advisor.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 09:12 AM
TOGuy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshie97 View Post
He got an ECHL quality team with zero prospects and built up to have a team with quite a few valuable young pieces and one of the top AHL teams.

He did a great job as far as I am concerned and I am mad that someone else will get credit for the framework he will have built down the line. We will call it the Mike Gillis effect...

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 09:14 AM
capitalsrock

Burke+Komisarek+Steckel+2018 7th+2019 6th

for

Luongo

capitalsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 09:22 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
In all fairness, my dog could have GMed the Leafs and produce an organization with more depth & skill than the Leafs had 4 years ago.
The team Burke took over might not have been able to make the AHL playoffs.

If you want to sing Burke's praises, that's fine, but you'll need to go deeper than "they're better now than they were then".
And with what Burke had to work with the Leafs should be a lot farther ahead then they are.

During the great Wings rebuild in the 80's (Arguably a different time but the principal of mixing young drafted players and veteran free agents still works) a last place team wound up in the playoffs in year 2 or 3. They didn't have a lot of success once they were there (It took a while to get past the first round or two) but it was something to build on.

And yes, a lot of us have pets and living room furniture that could have done a better job than Burke but many of us have been saying that (And getting crapped on for it) since he was hired.

So to answer the question as to Burke's value: Extremely low right now. If I were to have a beer with him right now I'd suggest he follow Doug MacLean into the media world.

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 09:23 AM
pspot

the Bruins owe him a nice cushy consultant job
best team he's ever built

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 10:15 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
He got an ECHL quality team with zero prospects and built up to have a team with quite a few valuable young pieces and one of the top AHL teams.

He did a great job as far as I am concerned and I am mad that someone else will get credit for the framework he will have built down the line. We will call it the Mike Gillis effect...
The problem is he wasn't hired to improve the Marlies and more importantly some of the key contributors aren't headed to the NHL any time soon.

According to his supporters he took over a mess, yet his teams only surpassed the mess once in season point totals.

Everything Burke did wasn't bad for sure, but on balance he failed miserably.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 10:19 AM
DaveT83*

I don't think he GM's ever again. I think he's set up pretty well in NHL's front office with his buddy Gary.

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 10:24 AM
2Cowen

vCash: 920
He's probably worth 2 1st rounders and a 2nd

2Cowen is offline   Reply With Quote