HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Realistically....How many teams should be in the NHL?

Old
01-10-2013, 09:22 AM
optimus2861

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
Wow - when did you go to these games? For a while after we won the Cup we were right up at the top of the league in attendance, even in spite of the lockout that cost us a full season. Then Koules/Barrie came in and almost destroyed the franchise and things got bad, but the last couple of years since Mr. Vinik purchased the team the crowds have returned and the arena is rocking.
Feb. 11, 2010 vs Boston (the Bruins jumped out to a 5-0 lead, the Lightning rallied to within a goal but lost 5-4) and Mar. 22, 2011 vs NY Islanders (Isles won 5-2 in a lacklustre game). Both games were poorly attended; official paid attendance wasn't even announced. I actually bought box seats for the latter on the street for a measly $40/ea. The crowd for the latter game was especially dead.

optimus2861 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 09:59 AM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
Feb. 11, 2010 vs Boston (the Bruins jumped out to a 5-0 lead, the Lightning rallied to within a goal but lost 5-4)
Attendance that night was 15,826. That was at the depths of the Koules/Barrie debacle, the team was in disarray, they had run off most of the fans - I'm actually surprised there were that many people there. It was a bad, bad time for the franchise.

Quote:
and Mar. 22, 2011 vs NY Islanders (Isles won 5-2 in a lacklustre game). Both games were poorly attended; official paid attendance wasn't even announced. I actually bought box seats for the latter on the street for a measly $40/ea. The crowd for the latter game was especially dead.
17,400 that night. I think you may have just missed the attendance announcement, they always give it. Sorry the crowd was dead, perhaps a lopsided loss in a lackluster game had something to do with that.

I can vouch for the fact that it's certainly not that way now. Mr. Vinik, Mr. Yzerman and Mr. Leiweke have revitalized the team and the entire organization.

Boltsfan2029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 12:20 PM
Leo W

vCash: 50
Feel bad for Columbus, I truly believe they could have one of the best fan bases in the league if the team wasn't so **** for so long. It's really sad actually, hopefully they can get it together sooner rather than later and get the place filled. Because I know if I lived in Columbus I certainly wouldn't want to go see that team either, especially for how long they've been poorly run for; I mean why would you?

Leo W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 02:52 PM
sandysan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
How long do you think a team would last in KC if it had the number of losing Seasons that the Blue Jackets have experienced?
I'm not convinced that a hockey team would last in KC irrespective of how well they did on the ice. The scouts lasted two years and when they left I think they took most of the demand with them.

Right now KC has one thing going for it, a nice arena with no primary tenant. That's pretty much it. The Sprint Center seems to do okay on tournaments and concerts.

sandysan is online now   Reply With Quote