HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XVI

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2013, 07:48 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

vCash: 500
Fact finding is one thing. Analyzing is another. The latter of which he's a proven loser.

Old
01-10-2013, 07:04 AM
Stewie G

Eric Fehr's name popped up on a thread on the Trade Rumors forum and reports are that he played really well in the FEL. Any thoughts on bringing him back? I was always a big Fehr fan and never thought he got a fair shake while he was here.

I think he'd be a good addition, especially as insurance in case Wolski falls on his face.

Old
01-10-2013, 07:14 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
Eric Fehr's name popped up on a thread on the Trade Rumors forum and reports are that he played really well in the FEL. Any thoughts on bringing him back? I was always a big Fehr fan and never thought he got a fair shake while he was here.

I think he'd be a good addition, especially as insurance in case Wolski falls on his face.
I mean, I'd offer him a camp invite if he couldn't get a better deal. They could use depth on the RW. Feel like someone would have a better offer though.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:49 AM
txpd

from i remember fehr had an effort problem. that contributed directly to his getting scratched. iirc the jets made the same comment of him. he played 35 games last season and scored 2g and 1 assist.

he got more than a fair shake and couldnt get the job done.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:15 AM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
from i remember fehr had an effort problem. that contributed directly to his getting scratched. iirc the jets made the same comment of him. he played 35 games last season and scored 2g and 1 assist.

he got more than a fair shake and couldnt get the job done.
If I'm remembering correctly, Fehr was in the top 10 in points/60 in the entire league one year. To me, that isn't an issue of getting the job done. It speaks more to injury and lack of ice time. Perhaps there was a problem with his effort during practices and such, but it never seemed to be a consistent problem during games. While Flash could do no wrong, Fehr could do no right it seemed.

I can't speak to his time in Winnipeg since I never saw him play. It's possible that his shoulder issues really hampered him.

If he is healthy, I would definitely give him a tryout.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:24 AM
txpd

that was one season. 09-010. its 2013 now. i can tell you that the reason he was a healthy scratch had more to do with not getting the job done than injuries. here is noel slamming fehr's effort and saying he's going to keep getting 4th line minutes until he starts playing harder.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2012/01/0...t-fehr-to-eric

it never changed. fehr played 9:41 per game. he was -6. -8 was the team worst from two first line players.

most of the time there is a reason why a player like fehr gets benched and a player like fleischmann gets more minutes. in the case of fehr, every indication is that he didnt apply himself as hard as he could in his rehab and didnt work hard when he got to play. when a player gets called out by more than one coach, there has to be something to it. meanwhile fleischmann seems to have impressed his coaches at all three stops on his nhl resume.

as fans we cant see players that dont eat right or dont prepare properly or dont practice hard. we cant see players that are totally dedicated to their fitness and their preparedness and good practice work ethic. i recall reading where jf fortin couldnt keep his weight down and couldnt force himself to eat right and train in the offseason. this stuff has an effect and in the case of fehr its played out.

Last edited by txpd: 01-10-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old
01-10-2013, 09:35 AM
CrashTheNet9

I don't know who has worse shoulders. Ryan Zimmerman or Eric Fehr. I don't want him back on the Caps.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:49 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

would rather sign Knuble

Old
01-10-2013, 11:05 AM
CrashTheNet9

Here is the RW we should get.

@TGfireandice: Sykora will get an NHL contract somewhere. No tryout. In addition to Devils, Washington (Adam Oates connection) among teams interested.

Old
01-10-2013, 11:18 AM
Langway
Intangibles

@Ledger_NJDevils: Capitals haven't contacted UFA Petr Sykora and GM George McPhee says that is not in his plans.

There would be a roster space and potential playing time issue for others with any further signings but maybe they could make a subsequent move. Sykora isn't overly physical or anything but still has some offensive ability left.

Old
01-10-2013, 11:24 AM
CrashTheNet9

Well it is hard to tell what is true on twitter and believe any reporter so I think we'll just have to wait and see.

Old
01-10-2013, 11:26 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Ciernik is the answer at RW.

Old
01-10-2013, 11:30 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
I wish someone would just ask McPhee what his plan is. Specifically to fill the void by not replacing Semin.

If he says Woitek, fine so be it. He was probably hoping to get some reps in for Galiev but that may not happen. But he has got to play it cool. Gotta. Secrecy remains a priority.

I will go opposite on everything he says all year and see if I can get half right.

He wants Syko.

If he won't admit a team need, its almost pointless to ask about players that may fill that need.

I bet Rico Fata still has his wheels

Old
01-10-2013, 11:36 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Basic economics says Ted/Mcphee should really go for it. If salary expense is your main investment into the season, you can achieve a much larger ROI than is typical because playoff revenue is (potentially) as big as it ever is while salary expense is going to be about 59% of what is typical.

This is the year to go nuts on one year deals/pickups.

Old
01-10-2013, 11:50 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Sounds obvious to me and good point BCF

Only, outside of the teams in a rebuild, everyone else should be on that same plan, assuming they are there to make money.

So that means prices will go up, and George "One of these years the cup will be ours" McPhee will kick the tires, bail early, and tell us all about it.

He ends up sticking to the plan of Sarge leading us to a cup when he fully matures. When do D men mature again? Age 30 lets say, so 2017.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:05 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Eric Fehr has scored a grand total of 12 goals over the past two seasons, and isn't of much use in a checking role. That ship has sailed.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:10 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
that was one season. 09-010. its 2013 now. i can tell you that the reason he was a healthy scratch had more to do with not getting the job done than injuries. here is noel slamming fehr's effort and saying he's going to keep getting 4th line minutes until he starts playing harder.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2012/01/0...t-fehr-to-eric

it never changed. fehr played 9:41 per game. he was -6. -8 was the team worst from two first line players.

most of the time there is a reason why a player like fehr gets benched and a player like fleischmann gets more minutes. in the case of fehr, every indication is that he didnt apply himself as hard as he could in his rehab and didnt work hard when he got to play. when a player gets called out by more than one coach, there has to be something to it. meanwhile fleischmann seems to have impressed his coaches at all three stops on his nhl resume.

as fans we cant see players that dont eat right or dont prepare properly or dont practice hard. we cant see players that are totally dedicated to their fitness and their preparedness and good practice work ethic. i recall reading where jf fortin couldnt keep his weight down and couldnt force himself to eat right and train in the offseason. this stuff has an effect and in the case of fehr its played out.
Perhaps you meant to link to a different article. That article you linked to says that he was playing hesitantly because of his shoulder injury and that he was having trouble with the mental issue that goes along with it. Noel said that if he played better, that he would have played him more. He didn't mention anything about needing to play harder.

To wit, here is an article from 5 days later. http://www.winnipegsun.com/2012/01/0...-nets-ice-time

If Fehr is healthy, I think he can contribute.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:19 PM
Stewie G

Also, taking a look at overall SM-liiga stats, Fehr had one of the top ppg in the leauge. He was 18th in scoring despite playing between 11 and 19 fewer games than all the guys sitting ahead of him. His pace was ahead of guys like Erik Karlsson, Rich Peverly, Frans Nielsen, Jarkko Ruutu, Kyle Turris, Valtteri Filppula, and Lars Eller. Those guys are all solid NHL contributors.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:33 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Not sure if anyone posted this or not, but there is a Capitals Season Ticketholder Fan Forum Teleconference tomorrow from 4-445. McPhee is the guest.

Dial in information:

877-229-8493, PIN: 15011

Old
01-10-2013, 01:47 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Perfect maybe someone should call in and ask him if he has "kicked the tires" on Sykora or Fehr.

Old
01-10-2013, 02:18 PM
txpd

looks like galiev isnt exactly lighting the ahl world afire.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:01 AM
Ridley Simon

Caps Salary Cap?

How far away are we from 70.2m for this season?

Old
01-12-2013, 11:02 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
How far away are we from 70.2m for this season?
6ish under.

Er, 6.6 per capgeek but that's subject to change if someone else makes the team that they don't have on there. Counting Poti though.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:15 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
6ish under.

Er, 6.6 per capgeek but that's subject to change if someone else makes the team that they don't have on there. Counting Poti though.
Ok, I wouldnt guess any new faces then til into the season. Ted wont want to waste the $$$, and the team seems relatively complete from a depth standpoint. Obviously I think we need another top 6 winger, but I cant see GMGM looking to add that until his rec project Wolski flails.

So maybe near the deadline, we will see some "UFA to be" players brought in, as the Caps will certainly have the space.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:19 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
Ok, I wouldnt guess any new faces then til into the season. Ted wont want to waste the $$$, and the team seems relatively complete from a depth standpoint. Obviously I think we need another top 6 winger, but I cant see GMGM looking to add that until his rec project Wolski flails.

So maybe near the deadline, we will see some "UFA to be" players brought in, as the Caps will certainly have the space.
Poised well for either rentals or getting paid to take on someone else's potential buyout (*if* Ted is willing to spare the cash), since the team could probably spare one.

Closed Thread