HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV/Books/Movies/Music/Video Games) Part V

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2013, 11:05 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
can't stand Jamie Foxx or Tarantino (-pulp fixtion -reservoir dogs)

avoiding django like plague
really?? i love foxx, i think he's really talented. collateral and horrible bosses show his wide range, although i guess im not that familiar with his other movies

Old
01-04-2013, 01:11 PM
HeliDevil
Legendary

Jamie Foxx was awesome in Jarhead.

Old
01-04-2013, 01:37 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
I'm forked

vCash: 425
Miami Vice, Ray.

Upcoming: Kane & Lynch where he stars with Bruce Willis.

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Old
01-04-2013, 01:38 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Old
01-04-2013, 01:57 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
I'm forked

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
oh, prime simpsons beats prime american dad, sure. but i dont think, from a character development/storyline aspect, any character from the simpsons trumps roger. maybe, maaayybe abe simpson, but he's so limited its hard to say.

and really, the only reason roger trumps all is because of hsi creative leeway. he can be unrecognizable to ANYONE simply by putting on a wig. realistic? no. potential for hilarity? through the roof

edit: bobby hill? i can honestly say i've only seen 3-5 episodes of king of the hill, so i cant comment. but bobby (or the indian dude plowing gribbles wife) certainly rose to the top of that cast for me
Bobby is not central to this episode, but this episode is one of my favorites.
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/836572/

If you're bored...

"We're putting extra stress on a structure that wasn't up to code in the first place."

Old
01-04-2013, 02:18 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

ill check it out later

btw, holy **** lol ebaums world. forgot about that place. i certainly didnt know they hosted full episodes of stuff?

Old
01-04-2013, 07:14 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
wait wait wait role models 2? is nothing sacred? i've heard of unnecessary sequels, but this is ridiculous
Milk every last dime from the property, that seems to be Hollywood's new motto.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:16 PM
FirmestPiano

Has to be one of the most inspirational and one of the greatest promos for a sporting event ever.

Also putting it her because I love the song. Public enemy- harder than you think.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:53 PM
CerebralGenesis

I really enjoyed django. Nothing too ridiculous either.

Super imposed with Christoph waltz.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:05 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

I saw Django in theater yesterday and loved it. Now I'm watching a screener version that has pretty good quality.

The scene where:

Spoil:
Django finds the first Brittle brother, and flashes back to his wife being whipped, and them running away... Total chills. "I like the way you die boy."

Old
01-06-2013, 11:36 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
I'm forked

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliDevil View Post
Watched Looper tonight. I thought it was decent. Nothing special but I'd say it was worth the money I spent on renting it from directv.
Just watched it and loved it except for the ending. Unplausable character move for multiple reasons IMO, plus really dumb unless you assume the future wasn't already set in motion. Still a dumb choice to me either way. He saw what the kid could do firsthand...

Oh well, it was a fun ride and far less complicated/messy/confusing than inception.

The makeup artist deserves an Oscar. I honestly had to look up if that was Gordon-levitt or maybe his brother I never heard of after. Could not tell that was makeup at all.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:26 AM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
Just watched it and loved it except for the ending. Unplausable character move for multiple reasons IMO, plus really dumb unless you assume the future wasn't already set in motion. Still a dumb choice to me either way. He saw what the kid could do firsthand...

Oh well, it was a fun ride and far less complicated/messy/confusing than inception.

The makeup artist deserves an Oscar. I honestly had to look up if that was Gordon-levitt or maybe his brother I never heard of after. Could not tell that was makeup at all.
He had also seen (from his own life):

Spoil:
the influence that a mother has on a man. We hear him tell the callgirl that he can't even remember his mom's face, in a way that makes us think that it is important to how he became a Looper/criminal/addict in the first place. Then Young Joe learns of how Old Joe is "saved" by his wife, who is portrayed as a motherly figure. I think that his character's shame and regret about selling out his friend for his own selfishness also played a major role in his decision.

So while I agree that it might not have been the most practical solution, it was something that I could understand the character doing based on what we knew about him, his past, and even his future.

Just my two cents.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:14 AM
Devils731

Throwing my 2 cents in, I thought it was a reasonable resolution by the character at the end of Looper as well.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:34 AM
PacManNJD
Let's get clever.

Django was incredible.

Also saw The Book of Mormon this weekend. Amazing and hysterical musical.

Old
01-07-2013, 08:33 AM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
I'm forked

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakitate304 View Post
He had also seen (from his own life):

Spoil:
the influence that a mother has on a man. We hear him tell the callgirl that he can't even remember his mom's face, in a way that makes us think that it is important to how he became a Looper/criminal/addict in the first place. Then Young Joe learns of how Old Joe is "saved" by his wife, who is portrayed as a motherly figure. I think that his character's shame and regret about selling out his friend for his own selfishness also played a major role in his decision.

So while I agree that it might not have been the most practical solution, it was something that I could understand the character doing based on what we knew about him, his past, and even his future.

Just my two cents.
I realize the ending was meant to sorta 'stun' the audience...

Spoil:

but to me the movie did not lead me to have any reason to doubt the future's timeline was not set. Had they started dropping clues that the future was completely a random outcome regardless of what happened historically, then I would have been fine with it outside the ultimate selfless act by a selfish person. Instead they dismissed the time logic big issues and just dealt with his memories fading or becoming more vivid as they happened to his younger self and the fact you could instantly effect someone traveling back in time by hacking off fingers, writing on your skin, etc...

If they wove in a little more hints at things being different in old Joe's timeline from the young Joe's then that leaves the future undetermined clearly to the viewer and makes that final scene much more optimistic to me. I watched it and immediately thought "well, that's great you saved a kid to only kill thousands more later". I viewed it as the chance to kill a Hitler as a kid and he passed out of some twisted sense of chivalry when up to that point he was purely self serving, even to the point of telling himself to F off and go die old man. Stark and sudden change all for a 'chance' that he might understand timeline logic better than we've been led to believe.

The only other thing that sorta bugged me was why the loopers had to kill themselves - why not just have looper A kill looper B and avoid any chance they show mercy to their older selves? The gold payment could come in a different manner as just a bag that shows up instead of a person and you know your loop was just closed elsewhere by another looper.

All that said, I still loved the movie and all, just a quirky character move as the final twist that required a bit too much of a leap for me.

*edit

After going to read other reviews and questions about the ending I found this which resolves the major issue completely.

Spoil:
I just read that the rainmaker saw his mother killed by a looper, somehow I missed this fact in the movie (I'll blame the puppy chewing on my arm) so that opens up the future to be completely different as I pointed out above as a flaw. All sits right now in my mind." GREAT MOVIE ENDING! LOL.

Last edited by Richer's Ghost: 01-07-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old
01-07-2013, 08:37 AM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post

Way too many time paradoxes...

Old
01-07-2013, 04:17 PM
Devilsfan92
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakitate304 View Post
I saw Django in theater yesterday and loved it. Now I'm watching a screener version that has pretty good quality.

The scene where:

Spoil:
Django finds the first Brittle brother, and flashes back to his wife being whipped, and them running away... Total chills. "I like the way you die boy."
Just finished watching it. ****ing loved it.
Agreed with your spoiler, love that line.

DiCaprio, Waltz & Foxx were amazing.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:30 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Looper and Django were my #1 and #2 of 2012. I'm not sure which I liked more.

Old
01-07-2013, 04:52 PM
Devilsfan92
4 8 15 16 23 42

I think Django is my #1. Looper and Dark Knight Rises are near the top.

HM to 21 Jump Street

Still need to see Argo, Silver Linings Playbook and the Hobbit, though.

Old
01-07-2013, 05:29 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

I didn't see a ton of movies this year - here are the ones I did see, in order of how much I liked them.

1/2. Looper/Django Unchained
3. The Grey
4. The Avengers
5. Skyfall
----- ^ movies that I loved
6. Argo
7. The Hobbit
8. Dredd
----- ^ movies that I liked a lot
9. Lawless
10. Premium Rush
11. Ted
----- ^ movies that were pretty good but not particularly great
12. Prometheus - entertaining but idiotic
-----
13. Webcam footage of me coating my junk in honey and sticking it into a tribal Bullet Ant boxing glove
-----
14: Alex Cross - tied with "Sucker Punch" for the worst big budget movie I've ever seen

Old
01-10-2013, 09:31 AM
Henrique Iglesias
Let's go Albany

Just downloaded Tales from the New Jersey Devils Locker Room by Chico for 99 cents off Amazon. Any one read it? Good or bad?

Old
01-10-2013, 09:46 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

i've had it for about 6 months, havent read it yet lol.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:53 AM
njdevil26

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Point Man View Post
Just downloaded Tales from the New Jersey Devils Locker Room by Chico for 99 cents off Amazon. Any one read it? Good or bad?
I read it. It doesn't have too much but it has some interesting stories. I can picture Chico telling them and laughing which makes it better.

Old
01-10-2013, 11:11 AM
Scott04

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Point Man View Post
I read it a few years back. I enjoyed the book. It's not the most amazing piece of literature of all time or anything, but its an enjoyable read and totally worth it for that price.

Old
01-10-2013, 05:08 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
i've had it for about 6 months, havent read it yet lol.
I've been meaning to read Marty's book for like a year but still haven't.

Closed Thread