HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Phil Kessel to Columbus?

Old
01-10-2013, 07:44 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

vCash: 500
Phil Kessel to Columbus?

With Burke gone and Kessel having 2 years left on his contract, it looks like he may become an expendable asset for Dave Nonis. Kessel has a NTC/NMC kicking in this summer and the Maple Leafs may be wise in shipping him off to a small market, which may be more suitable for Phil. He's very much a private person and a market such as Columbus may be a place where he can thrive and be comfortable.

He just turned 25 years old and finished 6th overall in the NHL (points).

Small town USA kind of kid. I think Ohio would be the ideal location for him.

Ryan Johansen, Boone Jenner and a 1st round pick?

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 07:51 AM
Unagi

I don't see the point in Columbus making that trade. Rather tank another year and draft in Top 5. No need to waste assets.

Unagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 07:53 AM
bobbyflex

i don't think CBJ has the center depth to be trading away their best C prospect

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 07:54 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckNoire View Post
I don't see the point in Columbus making that trade. Rather tank another year and draft in Top 5. No need to waste assets.
They haven't had luck in the draft.

Kessel is a proven asset who happens to be the type of player that'll bring the fan base to their feet and is a small town American kid.

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 07:55 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

no thanks...we're not trading arguably 3 Cs to TO for another soft (yet very skilled) winger...we just rid ourselves of one of those

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 07:58 AM
bigduga

C-Bus hired John Davidson to work the same stay-the-course, let the kids grow, pr campaign he ran in St Louis...

Why would they be trading futures for Phil Kessel? The team is bad. What do they need a top-six scoring winger for in the first place, let alone one that costs them talented cost-controlled young assets?

bigduga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 09:28 AM
IrishPaulie
Sooshii is AWESOME!!

Send a message via AIM to IrishPaulie
One GM learned the wrong way about starting a rebuild/retooling with selling futures for a skilled winger. I don't know if another GM will be ready to go down that road.

Columbus is better off continuing with a traditional rebuild.

IrishPaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 09:31 AM
Dark Knight
#WeTheNorth

That's quite a lot from Columbus.

I think Kessel is a good fit there though.

01-10-2013, 09:39 AM
Lebda Snipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Gardiner View Post
With Burke gone and Kessel having 2 years left on his contract, it looks like he may become an expendable asset for Dave Nonis. Kessel has a NTC/NMC kicking in this summer and the Maple Leafs may be wise in shipping him off to a small market, which may be more suitable for Phil. He's very much a private person and a market such as Columbus may be a place where he can thrive and be comfortable.

Decent Value. and with CBJ not looking that much better, I see that being a high 1st round pick in a deep draft year. Plus Boone Jenner has the best name in hockey.

Although Phil is a reserved guy, he has done nothing but produce in TO. And has said mulitple times he loves the city and wants to play in the limelight. Trading him for the sole reason that hes not a right fit for the city doesnt seem plausable. However leafs have another brutal season, shopping kessel wouldnt be a bad idea

Lebda Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 09:43 AM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Quote:

And make the same mistake Burke did? No, Columbus is much better off developing their own players. Players like Kessel are only worth trading futures for if you're close to breaking though. Columbus (just like Toronto was) is not close.

It would be a great trade for Toronto though. Almost exactly what they need.

Tim Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 09:49 AM
TOGuy14

Quote:

Make the 1st Ryan Murray and its good enough for me

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 09:51 AM
416Leafer

Not a good fit IMO. Toronto's a good example of why you should solve your #1 C woes BEFORE trading the future for a winger. Build down the middle and from the net out. Almost all championship teams follow that formula.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 09:56 AM
PayItForward

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
Make the 1st Ryan Murray and its good enough for me
And why would Columbus do this? Does it make them a cup contender? Nope. So they trade away 2 centers, a probable high draft pick or the 2nd overall pick from last year, for a winger who will put them in the same position as they were with Nash... while losing pretty important assets. How does that help them?

Doesn't seem like a good fit. Kessel is a piece that should go to a team that will put them over the top as a cup contender. I love him as a player, but Columbus would be stupid to do that trade IMO.

Last edited by PayItForward: 01-10-2013 at 10:04 AM.
PayItForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 09:59 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
They haven't had luck in the draft.

Kessel is a proven asset who happens to be the type of player that'll bring the fan base to their feet and is a small town American kid.
Yet here you are asking for two kids that they drafted recently.

Something tells me that Columbus learned it's lesson from the Carter trade. Trading for another guy with "baggage", let alone one who will be a UFA in 1 1/2 years, probably isn't very high on their to-do list.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 10:04 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post

Something tells me that Columbus learned it's lesson from the Carter trade. Trading for another guy with "baggage", let alone one who will be a UFA in 1 1/2 years, probably isn't very high on their to-do list.
Can you explain this?

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 10:26 AM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post

Would be an understatement.

I'd be more interested if Kessel wasn't a winger, as well. Assuming he'd welcome a change to Columbus.

Trading this great potential in Jenner, Johansen both could be game changing in more important positions.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 10:31 AM
BruinsBtn
HFBoards Sponsor

Why on earth would Columbus do that deal?

Give up 6 years of Johansen, 7 years of Jenner and what's very likely a high pick in a great draft so they could have 16 months of Kessel?

BruinsBtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 10:33 AM
nmbr_24

My guess is that the Leafs may have better luck trading Kessel to a contender. Not many rebuilding teams are going to trade several highly prized pieces for Kessel.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 10:38 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
My guess is that the Leafs may have better luck trading Kessel to a contender. Not many rebuilding teams are going to trade several highly prized pieces for Kessel.
Doesn't necessarily need to be a contender. But needs to either be a contender, or a team that already has a very well established farm system or well established young core and wants to get a boost while still maintaining long term competitiveness. Good examples would be Florida, Ottawa (though he wouldnt be traded there I would guess), Colorado, etc.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 10:39 AM
TSA0402

Look what Kovalchuk, Hossa got. Did they get any prospects even close to Johansen, or even Jenner?

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 10:42 AM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Quote:

^that's WAY too much for Kessel! sounds like someone wants to recover all the assets the Leafs lost when they traded for Kessel (Seguin, Hamilton and Knight)

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 10:47 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
Doesn't necessarily need to be a contender. But needs to either be a contender, or a team that already has a very well established farm system or well established young core and wants to get a boost while still maintaining long term competitiveness. Good examples would be Florida, Ottawa (though he wouldnt be traded there I would guess), Colorado, etc.
I can agree with that, a team that has a #1 center, a #1 D and a #1 goaltender and is on their way up, maybe someone like Minnesota.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 10:49 AM
Raging Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManByng View Post
^that's WAY too much for Kessel! sounds like someone wants to recover all the assets the Leafs lost when they traded for Kessel (Seguin, Hamilton and Knight)
Can't blame us. However, most of the sane ones know that we aren't going to get what we have invested into Kessel, back out of a trade.

Raging Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 10:52 AM
bizzz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsBtn View Post
Why on earth would Columbus do that deal?

Give up 6 years of Johansen, 7 years of Jenner and what's very likely a high pick in a great draft so they could have 16 months of Kessel?
They also wanna 7 years of Ryan Murray. Just let them be a Maple Leafs fans.

bizzz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 10:56 AM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
Can't blame us. However, most of the sane ones know that we aren't going to get what we have invested into Kessel, back out of a trade.
hey, what's the harm in trying?

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote