HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part III)

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2013, 09:28 PM
couture23
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

vCash: 500
I'll make my mark:

Stamkos Crosby Giroux
Hall Tavares Perry
Nash Toews Eberle
Staal Getzlaf Benn
13th: Richards/Seguin/Couture?

Pietrangelo Weber
Keith Doughty
Myers Letang

Price
Holtby
Luongo

Didn't take into account of position/handess - just fielded the forwards I thought were capable.

Goalies are a toss up at this point.

Old
01-09-2013, 11:26 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Hopefully Ryan Murphy will be running the powerplay and playing 30 minutes a game.

Last edited by Jaykay: 01-10-2013 at 02:36 AM.
Old
01-09-2013, 11:44 PM
Sean McG
Grigorenkensons

Here's my latest stab at it. I played around with the lines a LITTLE, but didn't really care that much about them.

Tavares-Crosby-Eberle
Stamkos-Giroux-Perry
Nash-Toews-Richards
Getzlaf-Thornton-Iginla

Weber-Doughty
Keith-Seabrook
Pietrangelo-Letang

Ward
Price
Fleury

X's - E. Staal, Myers.

To explain the guys I don't really consider locks...

Richards, Getzlaf, Nash, Staal - I like continuity. None of these guys will be over 30, and there's no reason to not bring them back with the success they've had.

Thornton - not really a popular pick whatsoever, but he's still only 33. I like bringing him back as a veteran a lot.

Iginla - if he's playing at a respectable level, I don't see how they can't put him on the team. Even as a fourth liner, Iggy's just got to be on team Canada.

Myers - basically just put him there because I'm a Sabres fan. Don't think it's that ridiculous to think he could make a big jump by 2014, but I wouldn't have a problem with a guy like Marc Staal or Luke Schenn.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:57 AM
Mehar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McG View Post
Here's my latest stab at it. I played around with the lines a LITTLE, but didn't really care that much about them.

Tavares-Crosby-Eberle
Stamkos-Giroux-Perry
Nash-Toews-Richards
Getzlaf-Thornton-Iginla

Weber-Doughty
Keith-Seabrook
Pietrangelo-Letang

Ward
Price
Fleury

X's - E. Staal, Myers.

Richards, Getzlaf, Nash, Staal - I like continuity. None of these guys will be over 30, and there's no reason to not bring them back with the success they've had.

Thornton - not really a popular pick whatsoever, but he's still only 33. I like bringing him back as a veteran a lot.

Iginla - if he's playing at a respectable level, I don't see how they can't put him on the team. Even as a fourth liner, Iggy's just got to be on team Canada.

Myers - basically just put him there because I'm a Sabres fan. Don't think it's that ridiculous to think he could make a big jump by 2014, but I wouldn't have a problem with a guy like Marc Staal or Luke Schenn.
No Joe Thornton, especially on the big ice. You got to be kidding me. He was terrible in the 2006 Olympics on the big ice, and did not overly impress in Vancouver. Replace Thornton with a guy like Seguin. Thornton's veteran leadership is not essential. Iginla is a different story, since he would be fine on the big ice.

Old
01-10-2013, 10:51 AM
JackSlater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McG View Post

I strongly dislike the idea of taking guys not because of how good they actually are, but because of what they've done in the past. There are plenty of locks with experience, and I believe it will be beneficial to take some players who haven't even played at the Olympics and will have the drive to succeed. Taking guys just because of their past exploits was one of the main issues from 2006.

Old
01-10-2013, 11:08 AM
Vinny Bombatz

Anyone notice most of these projections have 4-5 RH defense...Mostly Keith being the only LH shot...Wow

Old
01-10-2013, 12:12 PM
lemietzky
Rookie User

Ward
Elliott
Dubnyk

Hamhuis Weber Doughty
Phaneuf Pietrangelo Burns Letang

Toews Crosby Nugent-Hopkins J.Staal
Nash Eberle Neal Spezza
Tavares Seguin Stamkos Giroux Ladd

Old
01-10-2013, 12:12 PM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Bombatz View Post
Anyone notice most of these projections have 4-5 RH defense...Mostly Keith being the only LH shot...Wow
Yeah, we'll have to ask one or two of our defencemen to play out of position, but I'm not sure how much of a problem that really is. Keith is a lock, as you said, and personally I have Marc Staal on my team as well, though I'm fairly indifferent between him and Dan Hamhuis (also a LHer). So 2 out of 7, and we'll need to convert someone like Letang or Pietrangelo to the other side. After that you're getting into the likes of Coburn, Del Zotto, Alzner, Phaneuf, and Bouwmeester.

Yzerman proved, to me anyway, that he cares about this sort of thing with his selection of Bergeron in 2010 largely for his RHed faceoff ability, so I have confidence that he'll at least consider the handedness of our defencemen in selecting the roster and be comfortable with the skew to RHers, or address it as appropriate.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:38 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Bombatz View Post
mine had 5. 5th was Seabrook who was the 7th D.

Doughty - Keith (RH/LH. Solid pair last Olympics, skating will be HUGE on International ice)
Weber - Hamhuis (RH/LH. Nashville connection, Steady pairing that can shutdown)
Pietrangelo - Letang (RH/RH. Skating & puck moving ability)
Seabrook

Old
01-12-2013, 12:57 PM
dan1el

Here's my latest attempt. I'm all for the youthful, speedy approach, especially on the big ice.

Stamkos-Crosby(C)-Perry
Nash-Tavares-Giroux
Eberle-Toews(A)-Benn
Seguin-Nugent-Hopkins-Couture
Neal/E. Staal

Weber(A)-Pietrangelo
Doughty-Letang
Hamhuis-Keith
Seabrook

Price
Ward
Fleury

Old
01-12-2013, 09:04 PM
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8

Tavares Crosby Stamkos
Benn Giroux Eberle
Hall Toews Perry
Nash Getzlaf Seguin
E. Staal

Keith- Doughty
M. Staal - Weber
Murray - Pietrangelo
Letang

Price
Ward
Fleury

Old
01-14-2013, 02:43 PM
canuck2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post
Hopefully Ryan Murphy will be running the powerplay and playing 30 minutes a game.
LOL too funny.

Old
01-14-2013, 03:59 PM
The Head Crusher
Retired

vCash: 383
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemietzky View Post
Ward
Elliott
Dubnyk

Hamhuis Weber Doughty
Phaneuf Pietrangelo Burns Letang

Toews Crosby Nugent-Hopkins J.Staal
Nash Eberle Neal Spezza
Tavares Seguin Stamkos Giroux Ladd
As much as I would love to see Dubnyk make the team, there is no chance he will be there in 2014.

01-15-2013, 12:37 PM
JackSlater

Several editions of Team Canada. I gave no thought to spreading the wealth, so each team was as strong as I could make it with the available players. If I spent some more time I'm sure there are a few players that I would change.

Team Canada #1

Tavares Crosby Eberle
Hall Stamkos Giroux
Nash Toews M. Richards
E. Staal Bergeron Seguin
Perry

Weber Doughty
Pietrangelo Letang
Keith Seabrook
M. Staal

Price
Ward
Luongo

Team Canada #2

Benn Spezza St. Louis
Kane Getzlaf Neal
Skinner B. Richards Iginla
Couture J. Staal O'Reilly
Sharp

Hamhuis Myers
Alzner Del Zotto
Coburn Burns
Campbell

Fleury
Smith
Brodeur

Team Canada #3

Perron Nugent-Hopkins Carter
Marleau Thornton Duchene
Ladd Zajac Burrows
Talbot Couturier Doan
Lecavalier

Bouwmeester Vlasic
Garrison Weaver
Boyle Girardi
Phaneuf

Elliott
Theodore
Holtby

Team Canada #4

Hartnell Briere Heatley
Moulson Ribeiro Ryder
Dupuis Laich Sutter
Marchand Henrique Simmonds
Malhotra

Mitchell Green
Brewer Subban
Gorges Robidas
Wideman

Crawford
Dubnyk
S. Mason

Team Canada #5
Lupul Roy Parenteau
Lucic Little Purcell
Whitney Cammalleri Kunitz
Morrow Helm Clarkson
Smyth

Colaiacovo White
Methot Bieksa
Salvador Schultz
Dallman

Garon
Reimer
Bernier

Old
01-15-2013, 05:59 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 135
I think the defense looks better like this

Team Canada #1
Weber Doughty
Pietrangelo Letang
Keith Seabrook
M. Staal

Team Canada #2

Hamhuis Subban
Campbell Myers
Boyle Burns
Phaneuf

Team Canada #3

Alzner Green
Del Zotto Girardi
Bouwmeester Vlasic
Garrison

Team Canada #4

Mitchell Bieksa
Brewer Wideman
Gorges Robidas
Coburn

Team Canada #5

Colaiacovo White
Methot Weaver
Salvador Schultz
Dallman

Old
01-16-2013, 09:13 AM
Grabovski
Грабовский правил

Stamkos - Crosby - Giroux
Hall - Tavares - Eberle
Nash - Toews - Perry
M Richards - Bergeron - Seguin
Iginla

Keith - Weber
Doughty - Pietrangelo
Myers - Letang
M Staal

Fleury
Luongo
Price

Old
01-16-2013, 09:29 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
Several editions of Team Canada. I gave no thought to spreading the wealth, so each team was as strong as I could make it with the available players. If I spent some more time I'm sure there are a few players that I would change.

Team Canada #1

Tavares Crosby Eberle
Hall Stamkos Giroux
Nash Toews M. Richards
E. Staal Bergeron Seguin
Perry

Weber Doughty
Pietrangelo Letang
Keith Seabrook
M. Staal

Price
Ward
Luongo

Team Canada #2

Benn Spezza St. Louis
Kane Getzlaf Neal
Skinner B. Richards Iginla
Couture J. Staal O'Reilly
Sharp

Hamhuis Myers
Alzner Del Zotto
Coburn Burns
Campbell

Fleury
Smith
Brodeur

Team Canada #3

Perron Nugent-Hopkins Carter
Marleau Thornton Duchene
Ladd Zajac Burrows
Talbot Couturier Doan
Lecavalier

Bouwmeester Vlasic
Garrison Weaver
Boyle Girardi
Phaneuf

Elliott
Theodore
Holtby

Team Canada #4

Hartnell Briere Heatley
Moulson Ribeiro Ryder
Dupuis Laich Sutter
Marchand Henrique Simmonds
Malhotra

Mitchell Green
Brewer Subban
Gorges Robidas
Wideman

Crawford
Dubnyk
S. Mason

Team Canada #5
Lupul Roy Parenteau
Lucic Little Purcell
Whitney Cammalleri Kunitz
Morrow Helm Clarkson
Smyth

Colaiacovo White
Methot Bieksa
Salvador Schultz
Dallman

Garon
Reimer
Bernier
I have no real issues with your 1st team except for Perry. First of all, he's not a great skater, 2nd of all he's prone to taking too many idiotic penalties, and as a 13th forward he is only a winger. I suggest a more versatile player who can play either center or on the wing, is not a brain cramp away from costing us a game against Switzerland or Slovakia and a player who can get around on the big ice. We don't need Perry's experience or his 30 goals, we have tonnes of players to fill that roll. One player better suited for the 13th forward is J. Staal, although a similar skating style to Perry, at least he's good at center or on the wing and takes few penalties.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:25 AM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
I have no real issues with your 1st team except for Perry. First of all, he's not a great skater, 2nd of all he's prone to taking too many idiotic penalties, and as a 13th forward he is only a winger. I suggest a more versatile player who can play either center or on the wing, is not a brain cramp away from costing us a game against Switzerland or Slovakia and a player who can get around on the big ice. We don't need Perry's experience or his 30 goals, we have tonnes of players to fill that roll. One player better suited for the 13th forward is J. Staal, although a similar skating style to Perry, at least he's good at center or on the wing and takes few penalties.
Yeah, I'm not completely sold on Perry as of yet either, but he does bring a fairly unique skillset to this team and has an outstanding track record with Team Canada. I guess it depends on what you want out of your 13th forward. Not to put words in Jack Slater's mouth, but he may see Perry as more of guy that can take a regular shift at RW on any of the four lines (i.e., rotate through 5 RWers - that's how I'm looking at it, at least) instead of a "traditional" 13th forward like Bergeron.

If we're looking for a more traditional 13th forward, I'd look first at Sharp or Carter, before Jordan Staal (though he wouldn't be a terrible choice, just a redundant one with Bergeron and Toews already there). Sharp can slot in at any position, on any line, can kill penalties effectively, QB a PP, has chemistry with Toews, and has big-game experience. Carter, while he has some warts, would bring a lot of speed + size to the international ice, C / RW versatility, has played with both Richards and Giroux in the past, has good offensive instincts, a cannon of a shot, and wouldn't look out of place defensively either - he's solid in that area of the game. We know that Hockey Canada likes him too, as he was looked at as a possible replacement for Getzlaf in 2010.

To comment quickly on the 5 Team Canada's Jack put together:

- Overall, incredible depth at center and defense.
- Its not until the lower lines on Team #3 that we get into wingers that aren't Olympic caliber (for Canada).
- Goaltending is a problem, obviously. Teams #1 and #2 could get by, but I wouldn't feel comfortable going into the OGs with the goaltending on any of the other teams. Not to mention that we're already at a slight disadvantage, vis-a-vis the other countries, with respect to the goaltending on Teams #1 and #2.
- Team #1 is obviously one of the favourites for Gold - think we can all agree on that.
- Team #2 is a medal contender, despite the goaltending; my belief is that some focus on chemistry amongst the forward lines and D pairings would make this a top-4 or top-5 team in the tournament.
- Team #3 - Not sure. With hot goaltending, they'd actually look a bit like the 2010 U.S. team. Would be concerned about Thornton's play on the larger ice surface, and riding RNH as our #1 or #2 center. Solid D group, and gritty wingers in the bottom six. Don't know; we probably wouldn't embarrass ourselves with this team, though.
- Team #4 and #5 - Not medal contenders. The D corps on #4 remains solid, but the goaltending is weak and the forward group includes maybe one or two guys that would contend for spots on Team #1.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:47 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Habs View Post
Yeah, I'm not completely sold on Perry as of yet either, but he does bring a fairly unique skillset to this team and has an outstanding track record with Team Canada. I guess it depends on what you want out of your 13th forward. Not to put words in Jack Slater's mouth, but he may see Perry as more of guy that can take a regular shift at RW on any of the four lines (i.e., rotate through 5 RWers - that's how I'm looking at it, at least) instead of a "traditional" 13th forward like Bergeron.

If we're looking for a more traditional 13th forward, I'd look first at Sharp or Carter, before Jordan Staal (though he wouldn't be a terrible choice, just a redundant one with Bergeron and Toews already there). Sharp can slot in at any position, on any line, can kill penalties effectively, QB a PP, has chemistry with Toews, and has big-game experience. Carter, while he has some warts, would bring a lot of speed + size to the international ice, C / RW versatility, has played with both Richards and Giroux in the past, has good offensive instincts, a cannon of a shot, and wouldn't look out of place defensively either - he's solid in that area of the game. We know that Hockey Canada likes him too, as he was looked at as a possible replacement for Getzlaf in 2010.

To comment quickly on the 5 Team Canada's Jack put together:

- Overall, incredible depth at center and defense.
- Its not until the lower lines on Team #3 that we get into wingers that aren't Olympic caliber (for Canada).
- Goaltending is a problem, obviously. Teams #1 and #2 could get by, but I wouldn't feel comfortable going into the OGs with the goaltending on any of the other teams. Not to mention that we're already at a slight disadvantage, vis-a-vis the other countries, with respect to the goaltending on Teams #1 and #2.
- Team #1 is obviously one of the favourites for Gold - think we can all agree on that.
- Team #2 is a medal contender, despite the goaltending; my belief is that some focus on chemistry amongst the forward lines and D pairings would make this a top-4 or top-5 team in the tournament.
- Team #3 - Not sure. With hot goaltending, they'd actually look a bit like the 2010 U.S. team. Would be concerned about Thornton's play on the larger ice surface, and riding RNH as our #1 or #2 center. Solid D group, and gritty wingers in the bottom six. Don't know; we probably wouldn't embarrass ourselves with this team, though.
- Team #4 and #5 - Not medal contenders. The D corps on #4 remains solid, but the goaltending is weak and the forward group includes maybe one or two guys that would contend for spots on Team #1.
I'm not sure of the particular skill set of Perry you are referring to other than the ones I mentioned, average to below average skater, prone to taking penalties, not a particularly skilled player without the puck, but can snipe 30 goals. I don't see how we need his skillset. All things being equal, I'll take the better skater 25-30 goal scorer who doesn't take penalties, can play in all 3 zones and is more versatile. Thanks Corey for 2010 Vancouver. Much appreciated, now step aside. ))) Sorry, I'm not a Perry fan. And not much of a fan of the idiots who work at Hockey Canada either.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:02 AM
JackSlater

Quote:
Perry is there to fill a role, similar to what 86Habs suggested. Canada doesn't need to take another centre as the 13th forward, as you will note there are 8 centres on the team I listed already. Skating is somewhat troublesome, but it isn't as if it's a weakness for the team overall. Perry brings a grinding element to the team that is lacking in almost all of the forwards, a willingness to go to the dirtiest areas on the ice and also the experience to do damage from those areas. I'm not especially worried about penalties either, as I see Perry have a very specialized role with emphasis on avoiding penalty trouble. I've seen Perry toe the line enough in the playoffs and Olympics to have optimism, even if this is in Europe.

I have some worries about this team having too many players who are accustomed to dominating the puck in the offensive zone. Perry offers some flexibility there as well, as he scores lots of goals but does do without being the primary puck possessor on his line. Perry is also a guy I can see excelling in spot PP duty as a net presence, which won't be a strong suit for many of the stars on the team. I just like what Perry can bring to this team, it's something different from what everyone else offers. Canada has often had success bringing this kind of player to international competitions. Those were often Canada Cups on NA size ice, but I definitely see lots of benefit to bringing one Perry type player for the sake of team flexibility.

I would think that Benn meets your own criteria more than J. Staal, who is pretty redundant if Toews, Bergeron and M. Richards are all on the team. I don't know if any player is ideal in the 13th forward role, as much depends on what who the 12 other forwards are.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:08 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
Perry is there to fill a role, similar to what 86Habs suggested. Canada doesn't need to take another centre as the 13th forward, as you will note there are 8 centres on the team I listed already. Skating is somewhat troublesome, but it isn't as if it's a weakness for the team overall. Perry brings a grinding element to the team that is lacking in almost all of the forwards, a willingness to go to the dirtiest areas on the ice and also the experience to do damage from those areas. I'm not especially worried about penalties either, as I see Perry have a very specialized role with emphasis on avoiding penalty trouble. I've seen Perry toe the line enough in the playoffs and Olympics to have optimism, even if this is in Europe.

I have some worries about this team having too many players who are accustomed to dominating the puck in the offensive zone. Perry offers some flexibility there as well, as he scores lots of goals but does do without being the primary puck possessor on his line. Perry is also a guy I can see excelling in spot PP duty as a net presence, which won't be a strong suit for many of the stars on the team. I just like what Perry can bring to this team, it's something different from what everyone else offers. Canada has often had success bringing this kind of player to international competitions. Those were often Canada Cups on NA size ice, but I definitely see lots of benefit to bringing one Perry type player for the sake of team flexibility.

I would think that Benn meets your own criteria more than J. Staal, who is pretty redundant if Toews, Bergeron and M. Richards are all on the team. I don't know if any player is ideal in the 13th forward role, as much depends on what who the 12 other forwards are.
You have a different take on it than me, but that's fine. re: Benn, I have the same concerns over his skating as Perry. .. and watching Benn at the WHC last spring, I wasn't overly impressed. but I wasn't really impressed with anybody on that team last spring other than RNH and he gets a pass as he was 18, or just turned 19...

correction, D. Kieth played well. Liked how he played.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:15 AM
86Habs

Quote:
I'm not sure of the particular skill set of Perry you are referring to other than the ones I mentioned, average to below average skater, prone to taking penalties, not a particularly skilled player without the puck, but can snipe 30 goals. I don't see how we need his skillset. All things being equal, I'll take the better skater 25-30 goal scorer who doesn't take penalties, can play in all 3 zones and is more versatile. Thanks Corey for 2010 Vancouver. Much appreciated, now step aside. ))) Sorry, I'm not a Perry fan. And not much of a fan of the idiots who work at Hockey Canada either.
Don't short-change him; he's a 40-goal scorer, and will probably be Canada's highest goal-scoring winger again this year. The willingness to go to the net hard and pay the price (and the ability to capitalize once he's there) is an element largely missing from Team Canada if he's not there, Taylor Hall notwithstanding.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:28 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Don't short-change him; he's a 40-goal scorer, and will probably be Canada's highest goal-scoring winger again this year. The willingness to go to the net hard and pay the price (and the ability to capitalize once he's there) is an element largely missing from Team Canada if he's not there, Taylor Hall notwithstanding.
winger? are you including either side? I doubt it, I think Eberle and Seguin outscore him on the right side this season, Giroux will get more points on the RW than Perry and on the other side Hall and Neal outscore Perry. My prediction )))

Old
01-16-2013, 11:37 AM
86Habs

Quote:
winger? are you including either side? I doubt it, I think Eberle and Seguin outscore him on the right side this season, Giroux will get more points on the RW than Perry and on the other side Hall and Neal outscore Perry. My prediction )))
I'm talking goals only. Giroux will out point him, Neal may as well given who's he's playing with. Not sure about the others (who I have all making Team Canada anyway). A lot of it depends on how Getzlaf and Ryan respond to their off-years last year, I suppose.

I think my point stands, though, that Perry offers something a bit different than those other guys in terms of how he goes about his business.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:56 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
I'm talking goals only. Giroux will out point him, Neal may as well given who's he's playing with. Not sure about the others (who I have all making Team Canada anyway). A lot of it depends on how Getzlaf and Ryan respond to their off-years last year, I suppose.

I think my point stands, though, that Perry offers something a bit different than those other guys in terms of how he goes about his business.
True enough. I can agree with you on those points and we'll see how it all shakes out over the next 48 games.

Closed Thread