HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 7)

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2013, 09:13 AM
hockeylegend11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyax View Post
I think the writing is on the wall that this team will finish in 8th. They are 11 points behind 7th place Soo. I know they have 3 games in hand but the Soo have been playing very well as of late, and 11 points is a fairly big mountain to climb. They should be able to catch a Trochek less Spirit and hold off a young Erie team that is playing much better since the coaching change. The bottom line is they'll play London and get taken to the woodshed, and Warren will be left wishing he would have gotten something for Koko.
Unlike last the Knights are going with 2 rookie tenders with zero playoff experience,while its a team i rather not play,you never know what could happen,injuries,goaltending
I say get to the playoffs and take your chances,Windsor"s top 6 forwards and top 3 or 4 d will score more then they did a couple of weeks ago
I think its like a new team and hopefully they will treat every game like its a playoff game till the end of the year,London will be on cruise till the end not the best thing maybe

Old
01-10-2013, 09:27 AM
Ottomatic

One thing to consider about the trade - no conditions on the picks. Most other teams probably wanted conditions on the picks in case Koekkoek makes TB next year. A 10th overall pick 19 yr old defenceman - it wouldn't be unheard of. Now Rychel is banking on his belief that Slater isn't ready yet and will be sent back, or has reached out to Yzerman in TB to gauge the chances - but if Koekkoek had a good camp next year, TB isn't going to send him back to do us any favors.

So this trade could be Clarke and two second rounders for a three month rental of Koekkoek. Petes GM could figure to get a little less return, but a guaranteed return versus a conditional return. If he thinks Slater will play in the show next year and was only getting conditional picks offered in any package, he went for the sure thing.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:27 AM
Nyax

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Unlike last the Knights are going with 2 rookie tenders with zero playoff experience,while its a team i rather not play,you never know what could happen,injuries,goaltending
I say get to the playoffs and take your chances,Windsor"s top 6 forwards and top 3 or 4 d will score more then they did a couple of weeks ago
I think its like a new team and hopefully they will treat every game like its a playoff game till the end of the year,London will be on cruise till the end not the best thing maybe
The Knights could put a cut-out of a goalie in net, and I still wouldn't like the Spits chances.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:30 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
The Knights could put a cut-out of a goalie in net, and I still wouldn't like the Spits chances.
Which probably explains the 10 goals the spits have scored against the Knights in their last 2 meetings where the teams are 1-1 lol

Old
01-10-2013, 09:31 AM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Definitely need the 7th seed just looking through recent western conference 1-8 playoff meetings. Ever since London beat Plymouth in the 01-02 season the 1 seed has won 10 straight series which is no surprise. The big stat though is the 1 seed is 40-2 in those 10 series, London beat Owen Sound twice in 10-11. Maybe Windsor could win a game but as you can see the 8th seed doesn't have much if any success against the 1. This isn't like the NHL where and 8 seed and 1 seed might be seperated by 12 points, in the OHL teams are often seperated by 25+ points.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:33 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Definitely need the 7th seed just looking through recent western conference 1-8 playoff meetings. Ever since London beat Plymouth in the 01-02 season the 1 seed has won 10 straight series which is no surprise. The big stat though is the 1 seed is 40-2 in those 10 series, London beat Owen Sound twice in 10-11. Maybe Windsor could win a game but as you can see the 8th seed doesn't have much if any success against the 1. This isn't like the NHL where and 8 seed and 1 seed might be seperated by 12 points, in the OHL teams are often seperated by 25+ points.
No doubt I prefer the 7 hole in the playoffs better chance for an upset

Old
01-10-2013, 09:35 AM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Same here...and it's not like Pav has expierence I don't count a 4 game sweep as playoff expierence and they have a second round NHL Drafter goalie who is 6'6 and he is very good, I know there goalieS are a lot more better then the spits goalies.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:38 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
Same here...and it's not like Pav has expierence I don't count a 4 game sweep as playoff expierence and they have a second round NHL Drafter goalie who is 6'6 and he is very good, I know there goalieS are a lot more better then the spits goalies.
The 6"6 goalie u speak of has only 7 games college exp,heck Jack Campbell had more with world jr experience and he was not exactly a star in this league,and he came into this league with a lot more hype then Stolarz
Not as easy as some think ask Campbell

Old
01-10-2013, 09:38 AM
Nyax

We'll have to wait and see how good this Stolarz kid is. A second round NHL pick, so you'd think he'd be pretty solid. How he adjusts to the O will be the question. He can't be worse than Baille anyways.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:42 AM
youngblood10

Have to give WR and gang credit, they took a big steaming pile of crap and turned into a nice little piece of pottery.

They injected some much need talent, more importantly veteran talent into a line up that obviously wasn't ready for the heavy lifting. I'd like to have seen Ebert moved but that's just me. I agree that Bateman has struggled, but I haven't given up on the kid. Not upset they didn't or couldn't move him and if he is a late bloomer it could be the best trade they never made.

Moving Posa wasn't a surprise to me either, as mentioned someone in the leadership structure had to go and they aren't getting rid of the coach or gm. Great kid in the community and Guelph is a good place for him as Mike Kelly is all about quality people. But I wasn't convinced he was the right fit to command this group. Difficult also when you could be going up against the owners kid/ just saying.

Over all I'd say WR had a real good season on the trade front. Enough to get them into the playoffs or more important the 7th seed. We'll have to wait and see.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:45 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood10 View Post
Have to give WR and gang credit, they took a big steaming pile of crap and turned into a nice little piece of pottery.

They injected some much need talent, more importantly veteran talent into a line up that obviously wasn't ready for the heavy lifting. I'd like to have seen Ebert moved but that's just me. I agree that Bateman has struggled, but I haven't given up on the kid. Not upset they didn't or couldn't move him and if he is a late bloomer it could be the best trade they never made.

Moving Posa wasn't a surprise to me either, as mentioned someone in the leadership structure had to go and they aren't getting rid of the coach or gm. Great kid in the community and Guelph is a good place for him as Mike Kelly is all about quality people. But I wasn't convinced he was the right fit to command this group. Difficult also when you could be going up against the owners kid/ just saying.

Over all I'd say WR had a real good season on the trade front. Enough to get them into the playoffs or more important the 7th seed. We'll have to wait and see.
Solid post agree on all points made

Old
01-10-2013, 09:46 AM
Spitsfan67*

Is this just another rumour or is it going to happen almost an hour to deadline and nothing official yet....

Old
01-10-2013, 09:48 AM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
Is this just another rumour or is it going to happen almost an hour to deadline and nothing official yet....
It's on the Spits website now.

Old
01-10-2013, 10:20 AM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood10 View Post

This was always Kerby's lockerroom. I know I read that they might not give out the C for the rest of the year, but might as well just make it official. I can't think of a reason why they wouldn't unless it's to keep the added pressure and focus off of Kerby. I like putting the C on him now, because then he takes on the responsibilities that come with it - which in part is added scrutiny and accountabilily as he's not just the GM's kid anymore, but the team Captain.

Who would get the "A" opening? Khokhlachev even though he can't speak english that well to give him a leadership role? He wore an "A" here before didn't he? Of course there is the case to make against that given he bailed on the team to play in Russia and is only back (according to him) because Boston wanted him back in North America. However I think giving him the A might force him into taking some ownership of our team going forward the rest of the season rather than being a passenger just biding his time until the team is eliminated and he can go play in the AHL.

Bateman has played a bit better since Murphy has came here. I think playing with Koekkoek could potentially do him wonders as he'll see a guy also getting the same messages from the coaching staff that he's been getting - it will be a good re-enforcer to see the 10th overall pick getting the same coaching. Also as the 3rd defensive pairing, a lot of the offensive demands expected of him are off his shoulders as Koekkoek will be the main offensive catalyst from the defence and PPQB on the #1 unit whereas Murphy will run the second unit. Bateman can focus on the basics and playing a simple game.

I think young players look to older players to pattern their games over, to sort of mimic what they see and do and how they act. I think Ebert came in and saw Ryan Ellis here and tried to be Ryan Ellis when that wasn't his game (not to mention Ellis is a once in a decade player - his hockey IQ/feel, vision and hand-eye were amazing). But Ellis was a high first rounder and that's what Ebert wanted to be so he tried to do what Ellis did. With Sieloff here, I think Ebert is changing his game a bit, realizing that you can still be a high draft pick while playing a much simpler defensive game.

Bateman came in and had no role model that really fit his skill set - Koekkoek could be that player for him. Similarly I've thought Josh Ho-Sang was sort of on an island in this respect as well, he was the only offensive catalyst on a team of pluggers. I think playing half a year with Koko could do wonders for him - Koko will take his shot when it's there, will go into the corners and take a licking and keep on ticking. There is some fight/fire in Koko, whereas Josh sometimes looks as if he thinks he's putting on a show or it's a skills competition.

Old
01-10-2013, 11:02 AM
RayzorIsDull

Spits end up getting a 2nd rounder in 13 via Niagara dealing Joel Wigle to Erie for Sarnia's 2nd rounder in 2013 and another pick.

Old
01-10-2013, 11:09 AM
punch1943

Quote:
Spits end up getting a 2nd rounder in 13 via Niagara dealing Joel Wigle to Erie for Sarnia's 2nd rounder in 2013 and another pick.
and the hits just keep on comin......

Old
01-10-2013, 11:11 AM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Not bad. Now we have a second, third, fourth and beyond after starting yesterday with a 3rd, 5th and beyond. Here's hoping Galchenyuk sticks with the Habs.

Also means we only have two second rounders now in 2014 to trade mid-season next year if we get the Cup and are looking to upgrade.

Old
01-10-2013, 11:50 AM
OurHometown
HFB Partner

Full release on Koekkoek deal:
http://www.ourhometown.ca/windsor/sports/WS0097.php

Old
01-10-2013, 12:07 PM
aresknights

Who would have guessed the Spits add more quality thru trades than the Knights would?

Good job by Spits staff moving forward

Old
01-10-2013, 12:10 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
Who would have guessed the Spits add more quality thru trades than the Knights would?

This year u are correct,Knights to me surprisingly underwhelming in the trade dept
maybe Mark is bored lol
As for the Spits I think Rychel stepped up and with this lineup could be interesting

Old
01-10-2013, 12:13 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post

I don't know really - a five loss team doesn't want to mess with a really good thing. Something to be said about team chemistry and not mucking it up.

Spits add a few nice pieces, but they don't have the luxury of a get-to-know-new-teammates period as we're tied for last in the conference as of right now (albeit with two games on hand over Erie) and seven back of 8th spot (with three games on hand over Saginaw). And all that just to face you dudes in the first round. I was hoping the Soo would have sold more to make potentially catching them more realistic.

Boughner and the coaches need to have a team meeting with the lockerroom and really preach team defence and taking care of our own end first. We traded arguably our second best defensive defenceman in Posa and brought in a riverboat gambler. Sure we can say Koekkoek -26 was a product of Peterborough, but former Spit Brandon Devlin is +5 there in 16 games.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:14 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
This year u are correct,Knights to me surprisingly underwhelming in the trade dept
maybe Mark is bored lol
As for the Spits I think Rychel stepped up and with this lineup could be interesting
Connor Murphy done for the year. Better get that 7th spot because Plymouth is getting that 2nd spot now. Sarnia could have been a real spoiler but over the past 1.5 years Murphy has missed a lot of time, Galchenyuk was out for almost the whole year. Somebody needs to stop poking that Beaulieu voodoo doll.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:15 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Connor Murphy done for the year. Better get that 7th spot because Plymouth is getting that 2nd spot now. Sarnia could have been a real spoiler but over the past 1.5 years Murphy has missed a lot of time, Galchenyuk was out for almost the whole year. Somebody needs to stop poking that Beaulieu voodoo doll.
What happened to Murphy did not hear?

Old
01-10-2013, 12:20 PM
aresknights

Quote:
maybe Mark is bored lol
Interesting for sure, with help for next year as well. Again a good job.

Maybe Mark was trying to win the trade deadline by standing pat and letting others spend?
Only true if they can get thru the as of now, real competitive west conf. 4 legit contenders and the bottom 4 no slouches

Well see if his confidence in present group pans out.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:21 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
What happened to Murphy did not hear?
Torn meniscus in his knee. Happened in the WJs.

Closed Thread